* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

Which voice?
Jill Frappier 54%  54%  [ 13 ]
Michelle Ruff 45%  45%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: Favorite Voice of Luna (English)
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:01 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
You know the drill.

Post subject: Re: Favorite Voice of Luna (English)
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:06 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Jill because she at least knew how to emote.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:01 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Not voting until the S movie dub gets released.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:20 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
Didnt watched the dub alot but Jill sounded better

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:44 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Once again I love both voices for Luna equally for each dub. Jill fits the older motherly role DiC was aiming for with Luna perfectly and I think Michelle does a great job with the younger big sister Luna she's portrayed as in the original version.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:34 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Like both picked Jill, to me that's always Luna when in English

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:46 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
Picked Jill. She doesn't match the JP Luna very well, but she's iconic in the role. Plus, Michelle Ruff sounds exactly like every other role she's ever done, so I can't think of her voice as Luna's when I listen to the new dub.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:01 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Jill is what Luna should be in the English adaptation. A mentor to Serena!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:54 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
I like Michelle Ruff's interpretation better, because she made Luna be taken more seriously, but that's just me.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:02 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
had to go with Jill I absolutely adored English Luna (also preferred DiC Artemis too, I think Viz wasted Bosch on Artemis I was hoping he'd have voiced Mamoru) and as Foenyanko said she sounds like every other character Miss Ruff has voiced (I Still like Miss Ruff as a VA though)

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:24 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Between the two, Jill, although the two portrayals may as well be different characters altogether. Jill was still a lot more memorable, and I thought she sounded more likable too. They should've gotten a different actress for her human form in the S movie though.

Michelle is fine, but pretty boring overall, and not very distinctive from Kate Higgins as Ami or Cristina Vee as Rei. Between the three of them, I can't always tell who's speaking off-screen. Luna is supposed to sound a lot younger than Usagi, and while they weren't even trying with Jill, they tried with mixed results with Michelle, whose voice sounds very much like an adult to me. It results in Luna sounding kind of like a mother to Usagi sometimes. It's not bad, but still one of my least favorite voices of the new dub. I think Cassandra Lee or Debi Derryberry would've been much better casting.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:39 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
If I had to choose, I'd say they both have their hits and misses. Jill's Luna was fine, her voice sounded odd when turned into a human in the S movie. Michelle's Luna sounds like she's a younger sister.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:19 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Both for me.

Jill acted like an Obi Wan character, although this became awkward by the S movie.

Michelle is of course being more faithful to the Japanese version. Even though it is hard to distinguish her voice when Luna is off-screen.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:36 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Ryo Urawa wrote:
had to go with Jill I absolutely adored English Luna (also preferred DiC Artemis too, I think Viz wasted Bosch on Artemis I was hoping he'd have voiced Mamoru) and as Foenyanko said she sounds like every other character Miss Ruff has voiced (I Still like Miss Ruff as a VA though)

I agree on both points. Ruff (and Bosch for that matter) is capable of changing her voice to sound more unique, but I don't think most dub directors bother with that anymore. The industry seems to be more interested in pumping out dubs as fast as possible rather than asking their actors to really create a unique character with their voices. Some of Ruff's older work sounded more unique than a lot of what she's doing these days - it's too bad they didn't bring more of that into Luna's character, since SM and Luna are so iconic.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:18 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I don't think Jill's voice in the S movie is particularly jarring (her human form is implied to be just one assumed for Kakeru's benefit rather than her "actual" human form). Certainly no more jarring than Keiko Han voiced stuffed animal Luna turning into a 10 year old girl in PGSM :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:26 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
People point to the Materials Collection that her human form is a year younger than Usagi, but there is one question I must ask. How canon are these things to the anime?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:44 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I really don't think that applies to the canon. While Keiko's Luna obviously sounds a lot younger than Jill's, she still sounds older than Usagi does. I don't think anime Luna can be described as sounding like a "younger sister" to Usagi. Even "older sister" sounds too young. While Jill's Luna sounded like she could have been Serena's grandmother from England, Keiko's Luna sounds like she could have been Usagi's aunt.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:56 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I really don't think that applies to the canon. While Keiko's Luna obviously sounds a lot younger than Jill's, she still sounds older than Usagi does. I don't think anime Luna can be described as sounding like a "younger sister" to Usagi. Even "older sister" sounds too young. While Jill's Luna sounded like she could have been Serena's grandmother from England, Keiko's Luna sounds like she could have been Usagi's aunt.

I agree. Her attitude towards Usagi also seems more like that of an adult trying to get their niece/daughter/etc to shape up rather than a younger sister being irritated by their older sister's antics. There's a big difference between the way Luna acts when Usagi's out of control and how Chibi-Usa reacts in the same situations, for comparison's sake.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:28 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I actually really enjoy JYB as Artemis. He's no Ron Rubin, but I thought his casting was pretty inspired, and he makes the character sound badass. When I heard he was cast, I fully expected him to be Mamoru, but nope.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:33 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I actually really enjoy JYB as Artemis. He's no Ron Rubin, but I thought his casting was pretty inspired, and he makes the character sound badass. When I heard he was cast, I fully expected him to be Mamoru, but nope.

i don't hate JYB as Artemis but i did find him too monotone sounding (again i love JYB he's one of my favorite VA's) judging from JYB's performance id say he was very uninterested and bored in the role (kinda reminds me of when he was doing the power rangers movie and was given a Frog as his Zord/Symbol he was pissed off and i don't blame him)

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:54 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
harry56 wrote:
The only other thing I can see happening is if Naoko finally gives in and allows a Hollywood live action movie to happen.

hope not as it would be whitewashed severely and to get back on topic it seems people really liked British Luna XD