Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Share your favorite crack pairings!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:28 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
MementoNepenthe wrote:
As you can tell by my new avatar, I am currently shipping Esmeraud and Michiru hard based on Naoko's note in the Materials Collection that Michiru is like a calmer, gentler Esmeraud. Since reading that, I can't help but think about what it would be like if those two ever crossed paths, and honestly, I think they'd be a way more interesting pairing than :mihiru: and :haruka: :lol:

I like this ship :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:29 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
Artemis And Mina-Chan XD LMAO

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:31 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
Chiba x Zoisite.
Chiba x Fiore.
Chiba x Fisheye.
XD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:37 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Neo Queen Serenity wrote:
Chiba x Zoisite.
Chiba x Fiore.
Chiba x Fisheye.
XD

I ship 'em all

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:51 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One side is from another franchise but they both even have a song!
Behold, Ami X Sonic!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:46 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
mamoru x rei
galaxia x cosmos
mistress 9 x prince demand
also this :evillaugh:

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:10 am 
Luna
Luna
Usagi x Geki from Zyuranger

Mamoru x Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992 film version)

Rei x Ami

Mako x Goku (he crossed dimensions)

Shingo x Gohan (he also crossed dimensions)

Minako x Tenchi Masaki from Tenchi Muyo!

Setsuna x Motoki

Michiru x Kunzite

Haruka x Haruna

Chibi Usa x Takeru from Digimon Adventure (first series)

Hotaru x Harry Potter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:39 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
Usagi x Geki from Zyuranger

A bit of irony to this considering his actor is one of the guys who played Mamoru in the old musicals. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:46 am 
Luna
Luna
Interesting, I didn’t know that.

I seriously only picked Geki because Zyuranger and the first series of Sailor Moon aired around the same time (with Sailor Moon premiering literally two weeks after Zyuranger premiered) so they theoretically could have both been defending Tokyo the same year and they both fight for justice. Plus they were both royalty.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Location: Quote unquote, "A sinister looking castle known as the dark kingdom"
Other: Dork Kingdom Heir
I don't think I'm opposed to any of the canonically-implied ships, for the record. (But I think Helios needs to learn to communicate a lot better if he and Chibi-Usa are ever gonna work out, because he was secretive beyond the point of reason or respect. Then again, he seemed to be about 12 or so.)

The only canon pairing I don't feel like worked out was Rei/Yuuichirou, because of the note their last episode left off on (and how foolish Yuuichirou was the previous time, when he lost a fight with a muddy field adjacent to Haruka due entirely to ridiculous assumption-making). I think Rei/Yuuichirou could be a fun and cool and cute ship and I support it's followers, but in my mind they never quite got it together on-screen.

I also think every ship imaginable is valid and I have nothing against an earnest fondness for any of them :) (Although I'm none too sure about Rei's Grandpa/ChibiChibi; that doesn't sound like it could ever work out well. Gotta draw the line somewhere...)

--- Polyamory:

It's not exactly crack shipping, but one of my favorite things is to resolve potential love triangles with polyamory. I can't see it happening in any official Sailor Moon work, because relatively few writers, especially not of mainstream properties, ever do that, but it can be fairly sensible in real life sometimes (if you're good at communicating- which is really necessary for any kind of healthy relationship).

But for example, if Nephrite came back to life but Naru and Umino were still an item, they could talk it through and have a shared relationship, perhaps. So I ship Naru/Umino/Nephrite, simultaneously.

(They also happen to top my list of favorite characters in the show, which is hard-fought because I like almost all of them, but I am just that crazy about episodes 24, 26, and 23.)

Likewise, I kind of like the idea of Rei and Usagi graaaaaadually, in the Crystal Tokyo days, finding their bickering turn to tsundere turning to something a bit more,and as Usagi/Neo Queen Serenity still being married to Mamoru/King Endymion her jealousy softens. And then everyone involved would know about it and probably be fine with it after years, decades of sorting it out. So Usagi/Mamoru/Rei simultaneously.

I don't think Mamoru/Rei is crack per se, but they definitely both need Usagi for it to work in my eyes. Otherwise it's like a toasted sandwich with no insides, just burnt bread scraping together. Sure you could eat two pieces of plain toast together, but would you?

That said, for some reason I like the scene where she accidentally sees him naked getting in the bath. Good scene in an otherwise kinda questionable episode.

--- Middle ground/only slightly cracked:

As far as very common but not-quite-supported pairings, I really like Ami/Makoto (and yes, also the slightly-more-canonical Ami/Ryo). There's this great little sketchy comic about them called "A Stormy Relationship" (and a cute little 4-koma about Usagi/Rei right before that).

As far as common but not-that-common pairings, I really, really like Alluminum Siren/Lead Crow. But that's not even a little bit crack in my opinion.

As far as iffy, maybe-maybe-not-crack pairings... I also like Minako/Artemis. (That time he brought her flowers and asked to spend the evening together in episode 100!) But them actually getting together would be... complicated. Heheh.

As far as obscure-but-logical pairings which lack canonical basis... Yumemi Yumeno/Kamoi (from episodes 27 and 156, respectively) would be adorable.

Likewise, perhaps Danburite/Beryl. They're both obsessed with someone in a very doomed way, and if Danburite existed in the anime continutiy, they might both hail from the same kingdom (that's a bit nebulous, but there doesn't seem to be a civilization on Venus in that continuity). Not sure how the ages line up (especially not in past lives/etc), but I'm not too worried about it, they both seem like adults basically.

I also like to think CereCere would have an unrequited fondness for Fiore if he was ever unfortunate enough to cross paths with him (I'm not too sure Fiore is really into girls). Hopefully she would be sane enough to let him go, though.

I recently suggested Fiore/Seiya. I haven't worked that one out in my head much but I can imagine it working pretty well, and they'd be cute together.

I'm not sure if I'd exactly ship Taiki/Setsuna (I haven't thought about it much), but there's some adorable pictures of them floating around!
(I think this one captures how they might get together in the first place, heheh.)

I can't seem the find the proper source of that picture (I believe the site was in russian; I could kick myself for not having a bookmark), but that artist did a WHOLE lot of really good drawings (several in color), Taiki/Setsuna and otherwise.I could share more if anyone wants them, and I'll keep looking for the source I found them at.

EDIT: It's from this site: https://vk.com/animepv (gotta dig through older posts to keep finding more pictures, it's a goldmine of fanart in the 90s anime style.)

I don't think Professor Tomoe/Setsuna is all that cracked (nobody says why his hair is white, but I thought it was just anime rainbow hair color logic or mad science exposure, not necessarily old age. And as ws pointed out, she might be incredibly old anyway, who even knows. She acts kind of ancient, maybe? It's really hard to peg something like that down one way or the other). I dunno though. I can sorta see it working (there's some cute stuff about it a few episodes in this long old fanfic I've been trying to read through called "Sailor Moon Z"), but I also like ideas for reuniting Professor Tomoe with his wife, Keiko Tomoe; that's the main thing I tend to go for. Beside, he's a man of SCIENCE! Surely there's a way... :)

(...now I'm kicking myself for not working in Frankenstein-style Keiko Tomoe, instead of just secret-cryostasis Keiko. Perhaps a rewrite is in order... but sadly, I don't think that would adequately explain her lack of apperance during the events of S, or why Hotaru still seems to pretty consistently regard her as absent, or how Kaolinite factors in. I must admit I don't know what to do with Kaolinite, anyway, even thuogh I feel I should think of something.)

--- As far as true crack pairings...

I'm writing a fanfic where there's a side detail about Yuuichirou/Esmeraude dating. My thinking was that neither seemed to work out with the target of their affections (Rei or Diamande) and are both total goofballs in their own way. (But this is also a post-Sailor Moon R version of Esmeraude who's working for Crystal Tokyo's military after the timeline was rewritten.)

I also have a bit about past life Princess Dia (from the Diamond Kingdom embassy ball, in episode 22), and for lack of better ideas (or a better idea about how to incorporate him when I'm working with the anime continuity and Makoto already has other things going on and doesn't even meet him), I had her be dating a past life Ittou Asanuma. I bet nobody's paired them before!

I have jokingly(?) contemplated Queen Beryl/Great Youma Boxsy. A "King of Kings Consort" of sorts!

Also, this isn't a ship, but as far as crossovers, I like the idea of Fisheye becoming a Sailor Senshi with the help of Gyopi the super goldfish (from Kingyou Chuuihou!/Goldfish Warning!) as her (non-)'talking cat' equivalent. Given that there's actual cameos from that in the Sailor Moon anime (due to creative team overlap), that's borderline plausible, especially if it happened in the dream-world of Elysion!

--- Ideas from this thread / other people:

I'd never thought about Setsuna/Saphir (I usually default to the more canonical Saphir/Petz), but that's a cute idea- I like it! The chemistry makes a lot of sense, as they both have that sort of 'quietly tidy' sensibility.

Likewise, Seiya/Beryl never occurred to me... but I can dig it. Yeah, that could actually work really well! Um... wow, I might actually steal that idea and credit you! I'll see if it makes sense in the end, heheh.

Some of the Nephrite/Naru Treasury stories I've read involved Jadeite/Minako on the side (particularly one called "Shadows of Hope" which is mostly about a bunch of future kids). I'm not sure if I'd write about them myself, but it's actually a pretty cute pairing in the right context.

Esmeraude/Michiru could be cute. There's a lot of possibilities about how they might interact, since Esmeraude is so high-strung and Michiru is so low-key.

Nephrite/Mamoru, eh? Could also be cute, I can imagine it at least. (I always liked to think that moment might've been implying some recognition from their past life in the same kingdom- they never spell out the guardians thing in the anime, unless maybe the untranslated PC Engine game counts, but certainly nothing contradicts it, and Prince Endymion says "Everyone's been brainwashed" in Episode 44 referring to people on Earth... and then they show up leading the army from Earth... so it fits. And Nephrite was surely the most in-touch with his heroic side, between Naru and that time he kept one of his victims from incidentally falling off a cliff.)

I could kinda see Ami/Luna, actually... that's not that far out there.

I would love to see Usagi/Wiseman babies, but I can't imagine that being anything but a super dark story for Usagi. :dead:

Diana / Pharaoh 90, eh? (ominous note-scribblings and chuckling ensue)

Speaking of H things, I once saw an incredibly goofy picture of Galaxia/Umino.

Hotaru/Harry Potter? I can dig it.

Shitennou/Ayakashi Sisters amuses me, but I don't think I actually like it per se. People should bring that up whenever people start arguing about the Crystal versus 90s pairings- it'd be like interrupting a Kirk/Picard argument with "Janeway!"; they'd become unified in looking at you funny.

Incidentally, regarding that whole mess/ship war, while I do support Kunzite/Zoisite very strongly, I also think the manga's Kunzite/Venus are kinda cute. Nephrite/Makoto look physically good together but I just don't see much chemistry beyond friendship. Jadeite/Rei... I can kinda imagine that one, and certainly I can support it's fans. (So basically I think both sides have something good going on, even though I have a preferred side, and I think the fighting is dumb.)

But for myself, I'd rather write about the difficulty-fraught path of Jadeite/Thetis. Sure, it's not a very healthy dynamic while Jadeite's brainwashed and she's a youma, buuuuuut... I can totally imagine them as being this shy, clunky, would-be couple that doesn't quite spit out their feelings to each other and go somewhere in time before all the bad stuff goes down, and her old friend Beryl leads her down a bad path by targeting her insecurities. Then she doubles down on trying to be forward while he stiffens up in single-minded 'duty' to Beryl, and then it goes downhill real quick on the cruise ship. And then he comes back de-brainwashed and remembers all this, and then...!

Last edited by Mitsukara on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:58 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
Interesting, I didn’t know that.

I seriously only picked Geki because Zyuranger and the first series of Sailor Moon aired around the same time (with Sailor Moon premiering literally two weeks after Zyuranger premiered) so they theoretically could have both been defending Tokyo the same year and they both fight for justice. Plus they were both royalty.

Hahaha...yup, Geki was the second Tuxedo Mask in the musicals (and I believe he was the longest-running Tuxedo Mask if I'm not wrong?), he also played Kunzite in the very first musical and later on played Dracul. So your crack pairing has some basis in reality!

As for one of my favorite crack pairings...Yaten/Minako? Or is that not really crack-y enough for this thread? :P :P

What about certain Youma/Droids/etc. with similar themes/motifs across the series?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:51 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Something I didn't think of at the time I wrote my third post in this thread, but which helps to support my reasons behind the Rei/Asanuma crack pairing I suggested, is that in the manga, in the issue where the girls meet Asanuma for the first time and Rei later gets kidnapped by the Black Moon clan near the end, there is a scene at Rei's school where she and Asanuma have a brief re-encounter with each other. In this scene, Asanuma has a little moment to himself where he looks Rei over and thinks to himself that she is the kind of girl that Mamoru should be dating as his girlfriend, which to me sounds like Asanuma (who is basically the diet soda version of Mamoru) may have found Rei to be rather attractive in that brief moment before the story moved on to more important matters.

And afterward, the subject never came up again since Rei and Asanuma never again shared a scene together, whereas Asanuma would go on to share more scenes with Makoto, Mamoru, and Usagi throughout the rest of the manga's run.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

Last edited by Sabrblade on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:09 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
^ That was a truly well-written post there, Sabrblade! I think Rei/Asanuma would make an interesting pair.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:30 am 
Stella
Stella
I have to disagree with you Mitsukara I think in all of Yuuichirou's episodes it was definitely implied that he and Rei were soul mates.

It is interesting that you mentioned Jadeite and Minako as a romantic pair because when I first started to watch the series I had this dream of a revived Jadeite getting in a romance with Minako.

I also agree with you I personally love Aluminum Seiren and Lead Crow as a couple. They are my second favorite yuri pairing on the show Haruka and Michiru being the first.

Also it is interesting that you mention Jadeite and Thetis as a couple. In the 90s anime I always thought that Jadeite had an unrequited love for Beryl and this unrequited love darkened his view of women even though he was still devoted to her. Of course Thetis loved Jadeite as well but her feelings were unrequited. Plus Jadeite seemed unconcerned with Thetis dying but Beryl was very upset. This made me think that Beryl and Thetis were good friends. LOL! Maybe there could be a Beryl/Jadeite/Thetis threesome.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:21 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Location: Quote unquote, "A sinister looking castle known as the dark kingdom"
Other: Dork Kingdom Heir
Sabrblade wrote:
Asanuma (who is basically the diet soda version of Mamoru)

This made me giggle. :keke:
MariaTenebre wrote:
I have to disagree with you Mitsukara I think in all of Yuuichirou's episodes it was definitely implied that he and Rei were soul mates.

If only season 1 existed, I would probably say they seemed more likely, since they fit together great during those episodes. He's cute and well meaning and hardworking, and they have some great little moments. It's mostly the last two appearances of Yuuichirou that raise my eyebrow as to the long-term success of the pairing.

But even then, he's certainly the most straightforward and logical pairing for her, and I don't think a couple foolish outings undermine his otherwise established character that much. They could totally still be a good couple! But they had some offscreen catching-up to do to mend what was going on there. It's also weird that he (along with many other cross-season side characters, like Naru, Umino, Motoki, and Rei's grandfather) has no appearance in Sailor Stars. Alas, poor Yuuichirou.

MariaTenebre wrote:
I also agree with you I personally love Aluminum Seiren and Lead Crow as a couple. They are my second favorite yuri pairing on the show Haruka and Michiru being the first.

Haruka and Michiru seem to me like the most stable, unquestionable couple in the whole story, even beating out the title character (that is, Usagi and Mamoru- much as I'm certain they're a thing because that was kind of the point of a lot of the story). :) I may question their strategic ethics and communication skills at times, but their love for each other is no question at all. (Although it is a little weird when Michiru seems to try to make Haruka jealous when they meet Seiya, and I'm not sure if they're on the same page about monogamy for Haruka to be flirting with that maid in the SuperS schedule and Michiru being so, er, fearsome in response, heheh). What I mean to say is that I can't imagine anything splitting them apart, no matter what happens.

Alluminum Siren and Lead Crow, in comparison, seem much earlier in the process. They have a sort of odd one-sided tsundere dynamic; Crow constantly insisting that they're "rivals", then Crow just sort of nodding along and cuddling up and being all friendly, and then Crow leading her around like a lost puppy. It's a great dynamic, and they wound up being my biggest favorite characters to originate from Sailor Stars. (Especially with how Lead Crow feels about it afterwards, talking to herself about Siren liking theme parks and things like that- she needs a hug, not brainwashed Tin Nyanko constantly trolling her! Preferably a hug from Alluminum Siren. She also reminds me a bit of Kunzite in that regard, but less like his repressed/redirected anger kind of thing.)

MariaTenebre wrote:
Plus Jadeite seemed unconcerned with Thetis dying but Beryl was very upset. This made me think that Beryl and Thetis were good friends.

I definitely agree about this. I feel like Beryl and Thetis go way back, somehow. As for Jadeite's apathy, I could see that as a case against him ever caring about Thetis, but I like to give the benefit of the doubt on how the Shitennou got into this mess, by looking at what happened to Mamoru/Endymion (being forced into it, and having their mind muddled).

If Jadeite and Thetis of the distant past were a lot less far along and less certain of his love than Serenity and Endymion were, then combined with his sort of... stiff focus on duty (look how formal and circumspect he always is, compared to any of the other three Shitennou in the '90s anime, and how he talks almost exclusively about his missions instead of expressing basically any personal interests), I could see that leading to him having less of a response than he might've otherwise- and then being hit hard with the regret if he ever got un-brainwashed.

As for Jadeite having unrequited interest in Beryl, I could kinda see it (but it's pretty low-key). I hear Jadeite and Beryl seem more overtly like a thing in the live action series, too?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:59 am 
Stella
Stella
Well Mitsukara to me nothing in the 90s anime implied that Rei and Yuuichirou wouldn't get together. Yuuichirou had some insecurities but they still seemed like a great pair.

However I would add in the 90s anime I think that Haruka and Michiru both flirt with other people to tease them but ultimately they are completely devoted to one another. I couldn't see for instance 90s Haruka outright kissing Usagi like she did in the manga and Crystal. That being said I think the situation with Michiru and Seiya was different. I don't think she was flirting to make Haruka jealous rather Michiru was flirting with Seiya to get her guard down and to get information for her. Michiru definitely has the feel of a sort of a Noir spy and femme fatale.

However I definitely agree with your statements on Jadeite, Thetis and Beryl also yes Jadeite did have unrequited love for Beryl in PGSM however I also felt he did in the 90s anime as well. I always thought that it was a very tragic case of unrequited love on all three parties. Beryl had unrequited love for Endymion, Jadeite had unrequited love for Beryl and Thetis had unrequited love for Jadeite. However one pairing I would posit that would be cool is actually Beryl/Thetis. I agree with you that the two go way back and Beryl was very upset with Jadeite for letting her die so maybe those two could get over the unrequited loves of the various men they are after and be with each other.

Oh one more thing I also love your idea of Yumemi Yamino and Kamoi becoming a couple. They would definitely bond over their mutual love of art and plus they were both helped in their lives by Sailor Moon as well.