All times are UTC

Your Favorite Swimsuit Filler-In Episode
1. Episode 20 50%  50%  [ 11 ]
2. Episode 67 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
3. Episode 105 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
4. Episode 144 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
5. Episode 183 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Favorite Swimsuit Episode!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:03 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Since it's summer vacation time, I thought this would be a good poll to have! Every season seems to have a filler in episode involving the Sailor Guardians going on some sort of vacation trip that ends up involving swimsuits. This is a popular trope in most anime and not just in Sailor Moon. So which of the swimsuit episodes are your favorite?

Post subject: Re: Favorite Swimsuit Episode!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:14 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
I voted for episode 20 because it was just Usagi, Ami, and Rei. I liked the haunted house thing going on this episode.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:51 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
my faves are 20 :usagi: :rei: :ami: and 144 :ami: :eyebrows:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:09 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membership
Other: PK Starstorm!
My favourites are 67 and 105 :ohmy:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:14 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
20 because I love Moon,Mars and Mercury trio (and Luna of course).Usagi and Rei were soo funny there and Ami chan was like a bigger sis who observes everything and tries to fix things :mischief: :love:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:18 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Episode 20 with Ami hitting the invisible wall. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:58 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
I voted for episode 20 because it was just Usagi, Ami, and Rei. I liked the haunted house thing going on this episode.
I also agree episode 20 was the best. I loved seeing Usagi, Rei, Ami, and Luna goofing around and not worrying about the Dark Kingdom. The haunted house monsters were cute and funny and I thought the episode did a good job of building up suspense and having a little mystery to solve. The spirit Sachiko summons was pretty creepy too. I also love this episode got included in Ami's flashback in the R movie as a very important time for Ami.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:06 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Is there an episode with Chiba wearing a swimsuit? :orly:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:16 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
Is there an episode with Chiba wearing a swimsuit? :orly:

i dont think so but there's fanart

http://www.deviantart.com/art/SAILOR-MO ... -434016575

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:31 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: No.1 Mercury Fanboy
While I'm not quite sure about the episode numbers, the story with Ami, Shingo and Tiger's Eye and the swimming duel against Neptune are two of the most memorable ones for me, and coincidentally, they're also amongst my favourite Mercury-centered episodes overall.

@Clow: No, there isn't. The only time he was shown participating in any sort of beach activity, he was wind-surfing - in FULL Tuxedo Mask attire (and that was only in Usagi's simple-minded imagination, remember that)!

Attachments:
mamo_surf.jpg
mamo_surf.jpg [ 37.17 KiB | Viewed 2431 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:06 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
Since it's summer vacation time, I thought this would be a good poll to have!

LOL, summer vacation...that's nostalgic. Enjoy it while you can. I've always loved summer vacation as a kid, and even though I'm a "grown-up" now (LOLOLOLOL) who doesn't get any summer vacation, I still resonate with the season for this reason. Great poll idea, btw -- much better than the endless voice actor polls lately.

Anyway, not to be a bandwagoner, but I also chose episode 20 -- it's actually one of my favorite episodes in the entire anime and I'm glad to see it's getting so much love nowadays. Being a "lost episode" (never dubbed into English before the new re-dub) really works in its favor because it already feels so distinct from the rest of the show. It's a summer ghost story and that's my favorite kind. The "haunted house" concept works great here, as do the costumed (?) house monsters and the "spirit" itself. It's just a fun time all around and I often re-watch this episode when I'm in the mood for Sailor Moon filler.

I'm also going to comment on the other episodes listed:

67: Another "lost episode" but this one was also skipped over in the initial subtitled release of Sailor Moon in the west. I used to dislike it, but nowadays, I look back on it fondly. It's a bit bizarre how Chibi Usa randomly befriends a living dinosaur, but it continues the previous season's "tradition" of having swimsuit episodes detached from the rest of the plot. I just enjoy tropical locations in general, so seeing my favorite characters interacting in such a location is pretty cool.

105: Probably my least favorite of these episodes because it doesn't really feel like a swimsuit episode; in fact, the S/SuperS/Sailor Stars versions of this trope are all "monster of the day" episodes that tie into the overall plot in some way/shape/form, as opposed to those from the first two seasons. It's basically a Makoto episode and it's actually a very good one, but the only "swimsuit" part is relegated to the Senshi staying at a resort for what feels like five minutes. Again, it's a perfectly fine episode on its own, but it doesn't really hold up as a "swimsuit" episode for me.

144: I kinda like this one more than 105. It's a SuperS filler episode about Ami, but it also features Shingo (whom we hadn't seen for a while at this point). Even though it still features the Amazon Trio as usual, it's still interesting to see the Senshi interacting at a beach setting, which I feel was sorely missed in S. Having Shingo play a role in this season's "swimsuit" episode was awesome. Here's the thing about SuperS: it's not a great representation of the corresponding manga chapters and the overall tone is a bit too saccharine for most, but it presents some of the best filler episodes in all of Sailor Moon. 144 is a great example.

183: I've said this before, but Sailor Stars has a soft spot in my heart even though I think S is technically a better season; as such, I've always enjoyed this episode. The Three Lights show us their playful side and it's great to see some background on Rei in the anime. Like 105, this one doesn't feel so much like a "swimsuit" episode -- it's more like Sailor Moon's take on "I Know What You Did Last Summer" or similar summer slasher films. I also like how the movie that the Three Lights are shooting (a Sentai movie! LMAO) is referenced later on in the season. Very cute. <3

Onuzim Ima wrote:
While I'm not quite sure about the episode numbers, the story with Ami, Shingo and Tiger's Eye and the swimming duel against Neptune are two of the most memorable ones for me, and coincidentally, they're also amongst my favourite Mercury-centered episodes overall.

The Mercury vs. Neptune swimming duel (episode 97) isn't one of the poll options but it's still a great episode, definitely one of my favorites in the entire show. It really shows a subtle flaw of Ami's -- her meekness and confidence issues play out in unique ways. It's not like Michiru beats her and she consequently doubts herself; instead, Ami purposefully holds back and ties with Michiru, who bites back and insists that Ami should compete with her full strength. This conflict, tied with earlier issues about what her "dream" is, really pushed Ami's development. Could've used more swimsuits though, lmao.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:19 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Lone Queen
My vote also went to episode 20, because of how creepy-fun it is.
Even though it wouldn't have made sense, a part of me wishes that Sakiko and her family/workers would've made another appearance in a later episode.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:18 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
Yup, Usagi wants him... you can't win, Rose.

SailorSugababe wrote:

Last edited by Clow on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:18 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
Yup, Usagi wants him... sorry, Rose.

maybe in one universe but not mine

Attachments:
14ad19da598c034038086e96eeac5d0d1287591296_full.gif
14ad19da598c034038086e96eeac5d0d1287591296_full.gif [ 20.17 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:57 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Episode 20 is the most entertaining for me. It mixes Summer and horror in a fun way. For some reason, Japan associates the beach with ghosts for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:47 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I picked 144 with 20 as a runner up. Yes it's a simple monster of the day episode but it's a great one. The monster in question is hilarious and I enjoy the Shingo plot. I like Shingo and wish he'd been featured in more episodes. Also the Trio sitting at that beach stand like it's their bar was a nice touch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:16 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
I went with episode 20 since it was a really interesting diversion from the usual filler-like formula that nobody would really expect. 105 is tied because it was a very well-done Makoto episode, and we all know how Mako does have a consistently great selection of episodes with her in the spotlight :D

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:07 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rose is jealous! LOL! However for me my favorites were the ones with the ghost and the Dinosaur Kirin chan. They were my favorites.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:00 am 
Luna
Luna
Episode 20 it is.

What could I ever have done to deserve such a woesome fate?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:31 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
doctorwho29 wrote:
Also the Trio sitting at that beach stand like it's their bar was a nice touch.

I forgot about this! You're right, this is a great moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:13 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
John wrote:

105: Probably my least favorite of these episodes because it doesn't really feel like a swimsuit episode; in fact, the S/SuperS/Sailor Stars versions of this trope are all "monster of the day" episodes that tie into the overall plot in some way/shape/form, as opposed to those from the first two seasons. It's basically a Makoto episode and it's actually a very good one, but the only "swimsuit" part is relegated to the Senshi staying at a resort for what feels like five minutes. Again, it's a perfectly fine episode on its own, but it doesn't really hold up as a "swimsuit" episode for me.

I wasn't sure about including this episode for that reason but it didn't feel right leaving out S from the poll, so I thought it counted as close enough. I thought it was a pretty good episode myself and I like that it's one of the few episodes in the 90s anime where an Inner other than Sailor Moon kills off an MOTD. But even if it's not as much, I still enjoyed the swimsuit part for getting to see Haruka and Michiru relaxing in the sun. But I don't know why they didn't let Mamoru wear a swimsuit instead of him being bizarrely in a tux at the swimming pool.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:32 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
MariaTenebre wrote:
Rose is jealous! LOL! However for me my favorites were the ones with the ghost and the Dinosaur Kirin chan. They were my favorites.

Nah I admit to wearing a speedo once in 1997 so there ya go P-: :tuxspeedomask:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:34 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Other: Call me Neko-chan
My fave it's ep. 144 sincee it's the funniest from those all P-:
tbh ,Shingo loving Ami is much better than some waterfight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:24 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: No.1 Mercury Fanboy
A little bit of eye candy for you:

Nice booty, btw. :quagmire:

Attachments:
Ami_swimsuit_sketch.jpg
Ami_swimsuit_sketch.jpg [ 45.43 KiB | Viewed 1935 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:51 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
I found episode 67 oddly emotional. Even though the concept was pretty absurd, it was one of the few episodes of the series to get me legitimately teary-eyed. If a show does that, then it's obviously doing its job well.

BTW, I went with 67 if you couldn't already tell... :keke: On the other hand, I enjoyed episode 20 for its break from the Dark Kingdom story and for its tribute to classic horror cliches.

Why look for the key in another, the answer lays in his own heart, won't find yourself in some other, it always was there right at the start - Howard Jones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:53 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
^ I loved episode 20, too! It was one of my favorite episodes in the 1st season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:40 am 
Stella
Stella
I will say this with all of the crazy, outrageous supernatural and sci fi stuff on the series I find it hard to believe that the Dinosaur stuff was any less crazy then any of the other stuff that happens on the series.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:19 am 
☽ Crescent Moonie
Episode 20. I discovered it through the hungarian dub, and it was a gem, for all kinds of reasons. A lost episode, a beach/vacation episode, horror cliches, an interesting human conflict, a very, very cool mystery that again hints at there being more to the world than the dark realm mess, and of course a dub to my native tongue.