Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of sailor moon live action movie, yay or nay?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:36 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
Ryo Urawa wrote:
SILVER wrote:
LOL Emma Watson as Mako?
She's a twig lol.

These casting choices

umm hate to break it to you but if were going with Manga/Crystal all the girls are twigs XD

Mostly the designs for Crystal seasons 1&2.

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
No to Michael Bay directing it, because he sexualizes women alot in his films, plus he overdoes explosion.... Like alot. As for Emma Watson, she's 27, got nothing against her it's that the cast has to be close to the characters ages, because let's not forget that the characters are in their early to mid teens. If Emma Watson was 10 years younger than probably.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:18 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
I'm not watching it if it's a Disney production, that's my thought on what studio is making it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
JupiterThunder wrote:
No to Michael Bay directing it, because he sexualizes women alot in his films, plus he overdoes explosion.... Like alot. As for Emma Watson, she's 27, got nothing against her it's that the cast has to be close to the characters ages, because let's not forget that the characters are in their early to mid teens. If Emma Watson was 10 years younger than probably.

Thank you!
Michael Bay's films are most common denominator sexist garbage and it would hurt my soul if he ended up directing.
After seeing how Wonder Woman turned out, Patty Jenkins would get my vote for director. The Themyscira scenes were gorgeous and somewhat reminiscent of the Silver Millennium to me (it was the architecture).

A Chamber of Secrets/Prisoner of Azkaban Emma Watson would've been a good Ami, but thats it to me. Her acting is limited and I don't see her being able to play any other character except Naru tbqh. If it'd be Americanized I'd also like to not just have a cast of 5 white girls because its rather lame an unrealistic, and Rei HAS to be Japanese to me because the priestess aspect doesn't work otherwise.

All the actresses that I may have in mind are now adults so its weird to say who I would cast, but I'd rather go with unknowns and cast some side characters with somewhat famous actors -maybe Eva Green for present day Beryl?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:05 pm 
Luna
Luna
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
Ryo Urawa wrote:
SILVER wrote:
LOL Emma Watson as Mako?
She's a twig lol.

These casting choices

umm hate to break it to you but if were going with Manga/Crystal all the girls are twigs XD

Mostly the designs for Crystal seasons 1&2.

Stars called an is on hold for ya

Mako is supposed to be strong and tall and Emma is neither.
Don't make this a Crystal thing when its not even relevant.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:05 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Why isn't Crystal relevant? Have we declared exactly which source is being used primarily to make the movie? It was also relevant in discussing possible styles. As for casting anyone as anyone, have you not heard of "ability over appearance?" Rosie O' Donnell and Rick Moranis are perfect examples from "The Flintsontes" the movie. They look nothing like the Rubbles and yet they were perfect. They had the spirit of the character down. Maybe Mako does need to be tall and...tough...but there are other ways to go as long as the spirit of the character is maintained.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Summertime Senshi
draw from the source the manga

if they drew from crystal we'd get sen x shi :| I don't want to see that EVER again - but that's me

that said lets not turn this into a crystal bash thrash again please

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:43 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
doctorwho29 wrote:
Why isn't Crystal relevant?

Because this is a thread about a possible Sailor Moon live-action movie, not Crystal.

This fandom has a long-standing issue with inserting Crystal discussions in topics that have nothing to do with it. Sure, a movie might use Crystal as a base -- but getting into any specifics starts to veer the discussion into a Crystal topic and that's not the purpose of the thread. There are some users on this board (not you, btw) who take any and every opportunity to insert Crystal critiques in topics that have nothing to do with Crystal, so we're all a bit sensitive right now when it comes to bringing it up in unrelated topics.

Anyway...

A live-action English-speaking Sailor Moon would not work, in my opinion. Hollywood would find a way to really screw it up.

A live-action Japanese Sailor Moon movie might work. It wouldn't look as polished as a Hollywood film, but it would probably be truer to the source material.

At any rate, there are 5 story arcs for Sailor Moon and telling any of those stories in one 1.5 or 2-hour film would be a bit difficult. Certain things that you can do in manga or anime don't necessarily translate well to the big screen. The pacing has to be tight and solid all the way, and a 5-movie deal is already asking for a lot in the first place. How would it all work?

For example, in any case, the "first movie" would be an origin story -- but it can't be set entirely during the Silver Millennium. A movie has to have a singular focus or a singular theme that can be stretched out and it can feature other characters, but it has to be able to be boiled down to one strong element that persists throughout the film's various different avenues and scenes and characters. What would the first film be about?

The first story arc is about lots of things: the Dark Kingdom, the identity of the Moon Princess, Sailor Moon becoming a hero, the gathering of the Sailor Team, Sailor V, and the "miracle romance" of being given a second chance in a new life. So it's basically going to be a love story, but it also has to be about Usagi and her teammates. I don't think you can do all of that in one film. Everything has to inform everything else. Everything has to be connected. It can tell multiple stories but they all have to synchronize well with one another.

John: gay conservative, Sera Myu addict, student of Japanese, writer, figure skater, hockey lover, video gamer, Digimon fan, and proud American. #MAGA

Let's go Sharks!

#BlueLivesMatter

Last edited by John on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:05 pm 
Luna
Luna
doctorwho29 wrote:
Why isn't Crystal relevant? Have we declared exactly which source is being used primarily to make the movie? It was also relevant in discussing possible styles.

John graciously explained why Crystal is detrimental to this discussion above.
Read it.

doctorwho29 wrote:
As for casting anyone as anyone, have you not heard of "ability over appearance?"

Gee, I sure hadn't EVER heard of this! /sarcasm

Emma Watson is not a good actress or age appropriate, and I'm not certain as to how her eyebrow acting and high school play level skills would help the character out when she doesn't even look like the character anyway.

I'd suggest Katherine Langford for Hannah (if she HAD to be white) because she's talented, isn't a twig and is still feminine/can bring out the feminine aspects of Makoto's personality while looking like the wind wouldn't blow her over.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:11 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
SILVER wrote:
doctorwho29 wrote:
Why isn't Crystal relevant? Have we declared exactly which source is being used primarily to make the movie? It was also relevant in discussing possible styles.

John graciously explained why Crystal is detrimental to this discussion above.
Read it.

doctorwho29 wrote:
As for casting anyone as anyone, have you not heard of "ability over appearance?"

Gee, I sure hadn't EVER heard of this! /sarcasm

Emma Watson is not a good actress or age appropriate, and I'm not certain as to how her eyebrow acting and high school play level skills would help the character out when she doesn't even look like the character anyway.

I'd suggest Katherine Langford for Hannah (if she HAD to be white) because she's talented, isn't a twig and is still feminine/can bring out the feminine aspects of Makoto's personality while looking like the wind wouldn't blow her over.

I'm not necessarily defending Emma as a casting choice but here acting ability is a matter of opinion. I'm just trying to make sure that all sides are considered

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:15 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
John wrote:
doctorwho29 wrote:
Why isn't Crystal relevant?

Because this is a thread about a possible Sailor Moon live-action movie, not Crystal.

This fandom has a long-standing issue with inserting Crystal discussions in topics that have nothing to do with it. Sure, a movie might use Crystal as a base -- but getting into an specifics starts to veer the discussion into a Crystal topic and that's not the purpose of the thread. There are some users on this board (not you, btw) who take any and every opportunity to insert Crystal critiques in topics that have nothing to do with Crystal, so we're all a bit sensitive right now when it comes to bringing it up in unrelated topics.

I guess I didn't know that. I thought this thread was going to develop however it naturally developed. If we think the movie should have Cyrstal ideas then we discuss Crystal. If we think it should be based on the 90s anime, discuss that and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
doctorwho29 wrote:
I guess I didn't know that. I thought this thread was going to develop however it naturally developed. If we think the movie should have Cyrstal ideas then we discuss Crystal. If we think it should be based on the 90s anime, discuss that and so on.

Actually doctorwho29 it is relevant because whoever is making a live :usagi: film would need to draw inspiration from whatever material is available.

90's anime and PGSM are just too long and musicals are either obscure or too many.

If this isn't a trilogy the film makers would have to cram everything thing in under 2 hours.

Sadly a trilogy for each arc is not likely to happen since most anime live films are quick cash grab. XD

Prince Rose wrote:
if they drew from crystal we'd get sen x shi :| I don't want to see that EVER again - but that's me

So let's get the "Naoko requires approval" out of the way. (She was bribed with really expensive cars) And this was given to a studio with a really ambitious director/producer.

I could actually see this in a trilogy for the Dark Kingdom arc. They're gonna rip off a lot of ideas that work from Twilight. XD

They're gonna market this so hard for teenage girls.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:20 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
rgveda99 wrote:
doctorwho29 wrote:

Actually doctorwho29 it is relevant because whoever is making a live :usagi: film would need to draw inspiration from whatever material is available.

90's anime and PGSM are just too long and musicals are either obscure or too many.

If this isn't a trilogy the film makers would have to cram everything thing in under 2 hours.

Sadly a trilogy for each arc is not likely to happen since most anime live films are quick cash grab. XD

Prince Rose wrote:

So let's get the "Naoko requires approval" out of the way. (She was bribed with really expensive cars) And this was given to a studio with a really ambitious director/producer.

I could actually see this in a trilogy for the Dark Kingdom arc. They're gonna rip off a lot of ideas that work from Twilight. XD

They're gonna market this so hard for teenage girls.

all of my nope I'd rather french chiba :grey:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:51 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
^^^ LOL Rose if they made like Twilight id be pissed especially if "he" was cast *shudders*

SILVER wrote:
thank you!
Michael Bay's films are most common denominator sexist garbage and it would hurt my soul if he ended up directing.
After seeing how Wonder Woman turned out, Patty Jenkins would get my vote for director. The Themyscira scenes were gorgeous and somewhat reminiscent of the Silver Millennium to me (it was the architecture).

A Chamber of Secrets/Prisoner of Azkaban Emma Watson would've been a good Ami, but thats it to me. Her acting is limited and I don't see her being able to play any other character except Naru tbqh. If it'd be Americanized I'd also like to not just have a cast of 5 white girls because its rather lame an unrealistic, and Rei HAS to be Japanese to me because the priestess aspect doesn't work otherwise.

All the actresses that I may have in mind are now adults so its weird to say who I would cast, but I'd rather go with unknowns and cast some side characters with somewhat famous actors -maybe Eva Green for present day Beryl?

I agree about Michael Bay Being a sexist pig as well as the worst director in history (he makes Joel Shumacher look good XD) he directs it the girls will be played by big breasted bimbos

Prince Rose wrote:
draw from the source the manga

that said lets not turn this into a crystal bash thrash again please

I'm not trying to bash anything I'm just saying if they went with Crystal or The Manga instead of the 90s anime for inspiration all the girls would be paper thin that's all nothing more nothing less I'm sorry if it sounded like I was bashing Crystal and with all due respect to SILVER, Emma Watson is a great actress she played the perfect Belle in Beauty and The Beast as well as Hermione in the Harry Potter films (she was honestly the best part about those terrible movies)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:00 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Ryo Urawa wrote:
^^^ LOL Rose if they made like Twilight id be pissed especially if "he" was cast *shudders*

Everything will be multiplied by 5 since you got those 4 hot generals for the very long Sailor :love: General arc.

Ryo Urawa wrote:
Emma Watson is a great actress she played the perfect Belle in Beauty and The Beast as well as Hermione in the Harry Potter films (she was honestly the best part about those terrible movies)

She'd be perfect as :ami:. She's always type casted as an assertive bookworm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:11 pm 
Stella
Stella
rgveda99 wrote:
Everything will be multiplied by 5 since you got those 4 hot generals for the very long Sailor :love: General arc.

^^^oh my god no the inhumanity :sick: :supercry:

rgveda99 wrote:
She'd be perfect as :ami:. She's always type casted as an assertive bookworm.

^^sad but true, but she always played the parts perfectly (still hate Harry Potter Movies 3-8 utter garbage)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:17 pm 
Luna
Luna
Ryo Urawa wrote:
I'm not trying to bash anything

Okay...

Ryo Urawa wrote:
...I'm just saying if they went with Crystal or The Manga instead of the 90s anime for inspiration all the girls would be paper thin that's all nothing more nothing less

And there it is! Not even a sentence in. That's like saying "no offense" after you've just insulted somebody.
I really hope that they follow the 90s anime if they adapt it

You know, for plus size representation like in the image above /sarcasm.

And you can think Emma Watson is talented, I just don't see it and won't ever.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
^ ok that's enough, both

change the subject about whether or not crystal is being bashed, if it continues I will lock ANY thread with this kind argument
yes people can say whether or not they like crystal but when it derails a thread it becomes another bash party

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:24 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Ryo Urawa wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:

^^^oh my god no the inhumanity :sick: :supercry:

To be honest it's a lot better than the PGSM generals replacing the sailors as guardians.

Ryo Urawa wrote:
(still hate Harry Potter Movies 3-8 utter garbage)

It honestly feels like Inuyasha. Everything felt like unnecessary filler midway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:27 pm 
Stella
Stella
Prince Rose wrote:
^ ok that's enough, both

sorry Rose I'm not trying to fight but I do have one question for SILVER, Is It Bashing To Tell The Truth About How The Girls Look In Crystal And The Manga?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:28 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Ryo Urawa wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:
^ ok that's enough, both

sorry Rose I'm not trying to fight but I do have one question for SILVER, Is It Bashing To Tell The Truth About How The Girls Look In Crystal And The Manga?

stop. this subject of bashing is over. or take it to PM
to everyone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:30 pm 
Stella
Stella
rgveda99 wrote:
It honestly feels like Inuyasha. Everything felt like unnecessary filler midway.

not to mention Michael Gambon's Dumbledore was garbage they removed major plot points (like Voldemorts parentage for example)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:31 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
I find it interesting that people are arguing about the cast when, for me, it's clear that Naoko would never let it happen...

A Japanese live action movie produced by TOEI... I can see that happening sometime in history.

An American Hollywood adaptation? The studio would have to buy the investments of all of the automobile manufacturers based in Germany and offer them to Takeuchi...

... and she likely would still say no. :unsure:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:44 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Ryo Urawa wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:

not to mention Michael Gambon's Dumbledore was garbage they removed major plot points (like Voldemorts parentage for example)

Hopefully they might tackle that with the prequel's sequels of Fantastic Beasts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:56 pm 
Stella
Stella
rgveda99 wrote:
Hopefully they might tackle that with the prequel's sequels of Fantastic Beasts.

looks like they will (god that ending of deathly hallows pissed me off Radcliffe destroying the Elder Wand was sacrilege)

to get back on topic though I do hope if they did make a Sailor Moon Movie they use the 90s anime as reference and DO NOT hire either Michael Bay, Shamalan, J.J. Abrams or Joel Shumacher as Director or Producer and if Matthew Broderick's Ugly Face appears in the movie I will be severely pissed off (he already destroyed Inspector Gadget for me and after that I never watched another movie with him in it again :evil: :angry: )

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:14 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Ryo Urawa wrote:
looks like they will (god that ending of deathly hallows pissed me off Radcliffe destroying the Elder Wand was sacrilege))

It was anti climatic. It was so easy to break. I think that a powerful item would require Mjolinir to break it. XD

Ryo Urawa wrote:
Ryo Urawa wrote:
and if Matthew Broderick's Ugly Face appears in the movie I will be severely pissed off (he already destroyed Inspector Gadget for me and after that I never watched another movie with him in it again :evil: :angry: )

He can only be casted as one of the sailor's dad. A very minor role.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:22 am 
Stella
Stella
^^^don't even joke about that Broderick can't act to save his life he appears no matter the role I will not watch it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:42 am 
Luna
Luna
As far as Emma Watson goes forget her age or perceived level of acting ability Mako is suppose to be the tough one. Does Watson look fierce or like she can kick butt and take names? no

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:44 am 
Stella
Stella
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
As far as Emma Watson goes forget her age or perceived level of acting ability Mako is suppose to be the tough one. Does Watson look fierce or like she can kick butt and take names? no

^^^I think she could LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:27 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Just a couple of things. I like all the Harry Potter movies even though they have major flaws. I do not consider the breaking of the Elder Wand to be one of them.

I also think Emma could play any if not all of the Senshi. She's a good actress and Hermione showed that she can be tough

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next