Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of sailor moon live action movie, yay or nay?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:58 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I kinda think Jennifer Morrison should direct a live action Sailor Moon, and Lily Collins could portray Raye.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:32 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
In my opinion, it'll probably be 5 years before an announcement will be made for the go ahead for a sailor moon live action film. Plus not to mention another year and a half before a theatrical release (give or take).

Other than Takeuchi's probability, the main issue is the story, and I can see where most of the skepticism plays out. For me the film will take elements from the manga and anime (original and Crystal).

As far as casting is concerned, I merely mentioned Emma Watson for mako as a maybe. Like I said if she were 10 years younger she could play the part, with some physical training. To be honest, alot of our favourite female actresses would've been some interesting choice 10 years ago. Because I'd pictured Emma Stone (with her natural blonde hair) to play Minako, and Ellen Page as Ami maybe Rei. Arthur Garfield as Chiba (maybe), (a young) Jennifer Lawrence as Rei. As for Usagi, I'm undetermined on that one, I still stand by Scarlett Johansson as Beryl and Michelle Ruff and Johnny Yong Bosch as Luna and Artemis.

As for what production company, Either Sony pictures, 20th Century Fox, or DreamWork maybe Universal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:01 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
JupiterThunder wrote:
In my opinion, it'll probably be 5 years before an announcement will be made for the go ahead for a sailor moon live action film. Plus not to mention another year and a half before a theatrical release (give or take).

Other than Takeuchi's probability, the main issue is the story, and I can see where most of the skepticism plays out. For me the film will take elements from the manga and anime (original and Crystal).

As far as casting is concerned, I merely mentioned Emma Watson for mako as a maybe. Like I said if she were 10 years younger she could play the part, with some physical training. To be honest, alot of our favourite female actresses would've been some interesting choice 10 years ago. Because I'd pictured Emma Stone (with her natural blonde hair) to play Minako, and Ellen Page as Ami maybe Rei. Arthur Garfield as Chiba (maybe), (a young) Jennifer Lawrence as Rei. As for Usagi, I'm undetermined on that one, I still stand by Scarlett Johansson as Beryl and Michelle Ruff and Johnny Yong Bosch as Luna and Artemis.

As for what production company, Either Sony pictures, 20th Century Fox, or DreamWork maybe Universal.

I kinda see Lily Collins as Rei, Bryce Dallas Howard as Beryl. As for the production company Lionsgate since they produce Saban's Power Rangers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:11 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: No.1 Mercury Fanboy
If you want to follow that path, could anybody imagine the chick who plays Brienne from GoT as Haruka? Or Rose Leslie (Ygritte, with green-tinted hair instead of her usual red) as Michiru?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:46 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Darkstar7 wrote:
JupiterThunder wrote:

I kinda see Lily Collins as Rei, Bryce Dallas Howard as Beryl. As for the production company Lionsgate since they produce Saban's Power Rangers.

With these choices in mind I built ideas of my cast:

* Lily Collins would be great as Michelle
*Jena Malone as Amara
*Christina Masterson as Trista
*Amanda Stenberg as Amy and Katherine Langford as Lita
*Hayley Kyoko as Minako

and Michelle Ruff and JYB remain as the cats. I have no idea who I'd cast as Serena/Sailor Moon but I'd like an unknown actress and I'd probably like the same for Darien. If its an American adaptation I'd use the names of the 90s dub save for a few characters.
Rei is unclear but I'd prefer not to whitewash her, maybe cast a Japanese actress? And I've no clue about Hotaru/Saturn or Rini.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:27 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
I think it would be more off the dark kingdom arc along with Beryl being a rogue Sailor Guardian corrupted by Metalia that betrayed Queen Serenity the original Sailor Moon & killed the original Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter, Sailor Venus to get the Silver Crystal till her defeat by Serenity who died as well making Serena, Amy who most likely has blonde hair with blue highlights, Raye, Lita, and Mina the descendants of the original inner guardians.

Last edited by Darkstar7 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:46 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I can think of only one pro: that people would stop bringing up this idea.

As for the cons...
Well there's a tiny chance that a western SM live action movie would be good but lets face it: most likely it would be pretty bad. We already have fights about who should play who, why this actress/director is good/bad etc (if you ask me they should just cast unknown girls)

As for Japanese movie: i also doubt it would be good. Sure there's PGSM but lets face it: PGSM saving grace was the character development for the five main senshi and they were able to do it because they had lots of time. A 90-120 minute movie wont have that much time (when you have the battling aspect, enemies, love, frienship, all that stuff that comes wth SM). Other than that PGSM didnt have that much to offer. Doing SM story in a short movie would feel very rushed. Even the 14 chapter/episode manga/Crystal feels too fast, the movie would have to be way shorter than that

But most importantly i think it would be just a waste of money that could go into a better project.
Western movie would reach a big audience but there's a big risk majority of the fans just wouldnt enjoy it (see other western movie based on anime/mangas)
Japanese movie would be aimed only at the Japanese audience and a handful of western fans who also enjoyed PGSM but even then it doesnt mean it would be enjoyed (see Attack on titan live action movie)

Thats why it would be better if we just got an animated movie. We didnt have any movie since SuperS. We could get a Crystal movie (allthough not retelling one or Kaguya because thats more of a OVA material where 80% of it is Luna, Kakeru and Himeko and 20% is Usagi and others) or if they want to keep Crystal as manga material only, just a SM movie, maybe adaptation of the musical stories, maybe something that combines elements from diffferent versions while telling its own (side)story

Anime movie would reach most of the worldwide fanbase and has a higher chance of being appreciated by many

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:35 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
What about a Japanese live action Codename Sailor V movie? The Sailor V manga is mostly episodic so you wouldn't have to worry so much about cramming in all the character development and the special effects would probably be more manageable with a lower Japanese cinema budget than Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:48 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
What about a Japanese live action Codename Sailor V movie? The Sailor V manga is mostly episodic so you wouldn't have to worry so much about cramming in all the character development and the special effects would probably be more manageable with a lower Japanese cinema budget than Sailor Moon.

Now that would work. Either use various existing plots or make up a new one. I'd watch it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:30 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I don't know any Hollywood directors who I'd like to see helm an American adaption. Though a Sailor V film directed by Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman) might work for me.

Tuxedo Kamen was here

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:23 am 
☽ Crescent Moonie
I find it amusing that a slavic/russian adaptation hasn't been considered.

Tuxedo mask would be a tracksuit-and-ushanka wearing guy who would squat on lamp posts instead of standing tall on them, slavic moon would either have traditional russian clothes or a komsomol dress, and many events would take in soviet style residental panel-building blocks.

None of the overpaid US stars would be cast, everyone would be russian, from theatric academies and theatres., and we would see them fight evil all across great russia, from Moscov and St, Petersburg through syberia, to the distant fortress of Vladivostok. and the town of Chukotka, right next to Alaska.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:28 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Summertime Senshi
I'll watch Slavic Moon :ohmy:

to me Slavic/Russian girls are a plus to be senshi so yes :love:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:06 am 
Planeta
Planeta
A Hollywood live action adaptation will probably never happen, but according to Viz, there were some Hollywood companies bidding for the license to the Crystal (they didn't elaborate who).

If one were to happen realistically, I could maybe see Lionsgate doing it, similarly to Power Rangers. They would plan a series of five movies, one per story arc. They would try to get a female director, though doubtfully one we've heard of (ie, not Kathryn Bigelow, Patty Jenkins, or Sofia Coppola). They would almost certainly get a diverse cast, with mostly unknowns, and maybe ONE bigger name, like Zendaya as Jupiter (rapper Becky G was Trini in Power Rangers). The adults will be played by more famous actors, like Charlize Theron as Queen Beryl (like Elizabeth Banks as Rita in PR), and they might get Kristen Chenoweth or someone to voice Luna (like Bill Hader voicing Alpha 5 in PR). They would probably make up their own civilian names, though they could maybe use DiC's (much like PR used the original names). They would move the setting to some ambiguous place in the US, but they would probably film it in Vancouver or Atlanta (PR was filmed in Vancouver). The tone will almost certainly be somewhat darker, with the Sailors each having distinctive issues to deal with (much like PR). If they got to S, they would probably keep Uranus/Neptune's relationship intact, though make it more "suggested" than blatant (much like Trini's sexuality in PR). The original theme song would probably be used at some point, at least the melody (like in PR). They would probably keep the budgets moderate, in the $40-$60 million range. I think they learned the hard way with Power Rangers not to spend so much money on these movies. It would also be cool if they gave a role to Stephanie/Sugar Lyn Beard. She's been working a lot in Hollywood lately, and it would be neat if she played Miss Haruna or something, much like Bryan Cranston as Zordon in Power Rangers (he had voice roles in the original series). If they filmed it in Vancouver, they could also try to give some of the other voice actors cameos, like Katie Griffin and Susan Roman (much like Amy Jo Johnson and Jason David Frank's cameos in PR).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:02 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Prince Rose wrote:

Same here, & they'd fight in the Arctic, too, as well as in space! :cool: :D

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:51 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Prince Rose wrote:

Hmm, that seems random. Any reason why you choose Slavic/Russian?

Tuxedo Kamen was here

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:13 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Other: Summertime Senshi
Deathscythe wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:

Hmm, that seems random. Any reason why you choose Slavic/Russian?

Well it's a different take I wouldn't mind sm as another nationality be it slavic or otherwise just to see what it would be like

Curiosity I guess would be the main reason

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:14 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
A Hollywood live action adaptation will probably never happen, but according to Viz, there were some Hollywood companies bidding for the license to the Crystal (they didn't elaborate who).

If one were to happen realistically, I could maybe see Lionsgate doing it, similarly to Power Rangers. They would plan a series of five movies, one per story arc. They would try to get a female director, though doubtfully one we've heard of (ie, not Kathryn Bigelow, Patty Jenkins, or Sofia Coppola). They would almost certainly get a diverse cast, with mostly unknowns, and maybe ONE bigger name, like Zendaya as Jupiter (rapper Becky G was Trini in Power Rangers). The adults will be played by more famous actors, like Charlize Theron as Queen Beryl (like Elizabeth Banks as Rita in PR), and they might get Kristen Chenoweth or someone to voice Luna (like Bill Hader voicing Alpha 5 in PR). They would probably make up their own civilian names, though they could maybe use DiC's (much like PR used the original names). They would move the setting to some ambiguous place in the US, but they would probably film it in Vancouver or Atlanta (PR was filmed in Vancouver). The tone will almost certainly be somewhat darker, with the Sailors each having distinctive issues to deal with (much like PR). If they got to S, they would probably keep Uranus/Neptune's relationship intact, though make it more "suggested" than blatant (much like Trini's sexuality in PR). The original theme song would probably be used at some point, at least the melody (like in PR). They would probably keep the budgets moderate, in the $40-$60 million range. I think they learned the hard way with Power Rangers not to spend so much money on these movies. It would also be cool if they gave a role to Stephanie/Sugar Lyn Beard. She's been working a lot in Hollywood lately, and it would be neat if she played Miss Haruna or something, much like Bryan Cranston as Zordon in Power Rangers (he had voice roles in the original series). If they filmed it in Vancouver, they could also try to give some of the other voice actors cameos, like Katie Griffin and Susan Roman (much like Amy Jo Johnson and Jason David Frank's cameos in PR).

I think Jennifer Morrison should direct it. As for Beryl they could switch her from queen of the dark kingdom to a corrupted Sailor Guardian that killed the original Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter, and Sailor Venus that are the ancestors of Amy, Raye, Lita, and Mina only for Beryl to be defeated, and trapped somewhere in Earth by Serena's ancestor Serenity the original Sailor Moon. Plus since Amy had blue hair she could have blonde hair, but with blue highlights.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:30 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
They should do what they did in PGSM... have their hair change color after they transform.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:13 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Not sure about that plus I thought Amy having blue highlights would make sense for a film. Like she is struggling with her personality kinda like Kimberly in PR by adding blue highlights in her blonde hair. As for Beryl being a corrupted Sailor Guardian?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:19 am 
Luna
Luna
I think the hardest part of a live action movie would just be introducing all of the Inners. You can't really introduce them all separately and would have to either have them be active before Sailor Moon or them shortly after.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:35 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
NeoJupiter wrote:
I think the hardest part of a live action movie would just be introducing all of the Inners. You can't really introduce them all separately and would have to either have them be active before Sailor Moon or them shortly after.

Have them all in the same school, and find there transformation pens & brooch buried in a hill were there ancestors the original Sailor Guardians fought the traitor the corrupted Sailor Guardian Beryl.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:31 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Darkstar7 wrote:
NeoJupiter wrote:

Have them all in the same school, and find there transformation pens & brooch buried in a hill were there ancestors the original Sailor Guardians fought the traitor the corrupted Sailor Guardian Beryl.

That sounds way too much like the Power rangers movie.
I think it would be the best if they are all together from the beginning. What about a big senshi vs. Shitennou battle where we could learn more about their lives before they had met Usagi via flashbacks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:30 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
NeoJupiter wrote:

I would tweak the opening of the La Reconquista musical a bit:

Tokyo is holding a game convention where the brand new Sailor V is being debuted, with Sailor V herself rumored to be on hand to present the game to her adoring fans. Usagi, Naru, Umino, and Ami (who are all already friends and classmates) attend as they are all fans. Motoki is also there on behalf of Crown. New girl at school at Mako, who's also curious about video games, shows up as well. Rei, who's had a premonition that something strange/evil/mysterious is to happen at the convention, is also present. The girls all get to play a demo version of the Sailor V game and win prizes (a.k.a. their transformation pens, with Usagi winning her brooch for unlocking an Easter egg in the game or something).

(Also, perhaps there could be some special ~Something Crystal Something~ prize to be given away at the convention and Mamoru would be there in order to steal it. That way we could also work in Usagi bumping into him, etc.)

Suddenly, the Dark Kingdom attacks, using the various games to steal energy from all the humans at the convention. As panic spreads and pandemonium ensues, the girls suddenly get a strange feeling that there's something they can do. Their planetary symbols light up on their foreheads, their newly won items light up as well, and Sailor V appears (with Artemis and Luna?) and tells them to all transform.

-

Not perfect, but you get a general idea of how it could work.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:15 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I would like to see a Hollywood version of Sailor Moon and I think it would be interesting to see multiracial casting for the roles. I mean chances are it probably wouldn't be done properly if the people behind it didn't have a good understanding of the material. I mean I certainly have been burned before I was one of those idiots who was really optimistically awaiting DragonBall Evolution. I don't think it can't be done the studio just needs to actually care about the success of the film and keeping it somewhat faithful to the source material.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:26 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Another big question is should they be able to fly?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:02 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
blondibear_17 wrote:
I would like to see a Hollywood version of Sailor Moon and I think it would be interesting to see multiracial casting for the roles. I mean chances are it probably wouldn't be done properly if the people behind it didn't have a good understanding of the material. I mean I certainly have been burned before I was one of those idiots who was really optimistically awaiting DragonBall Evolution. I don't think it can't be done the studio just needs to actually care about the success of the film and keeping it somewhat faithful to the source material.

They could just hired the same people that were involved with the 2017 Power Rangers along with having Jennifer Morrison direct the film.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:11 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
^^^gross that movie was terrible :supercry: :dead: :blue: :sadeyes:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:45 pm 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
I'd want for Disney to do a live action Sailor Moon movie. I loved Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast and the only cut I could see being made to the movie would be Princess Serenity's suicide like in the manga and Crystal. Plus, I'd love for Serenity to become a Disney Princess. :love:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:01 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Neo Queen Serenity wrote:
I'd want for Disney to do a live action Sailor Moon movie. I loved Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast and the only cut I could see being made to the movie would be Princess Serenity's suicide like in the manga and Crystal. Plus, I'd love for Serenity to become a Disney Princess. :love:
Please no, everything but Disney. I don't want Sailor Moon to be "disneyficated", they already ruined Pinocchio and The Little Mermaid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:53 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
Neo Queen Serenity wrote:
Please no, everything but Disney. I don't want Sailor Moon to be "disneyficated", they already ruined Pinocchio and The Little Mermaid

I both agree and disagree with you both well I loved Beauty And The Beast Live Action it was fantastic I don't think Disney could do a decent Sailor Moon Movie after all they tried and failed in the past to make one starring Geena Davis as Queen Beryl as it never really got off the ground most likely due to creative differences

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next