Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of sailor moon live action movie, yay or nay?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:49 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Ryo Urawa wrote:
^^^gross that movie was terrible :supercry: :dead: :blue: :sadeyes:

Its better than Bayformers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:51 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Darkstar7 wrote:
blondibear_17 wrote:
I would like to see a Hollywood version of Sailor Moon and I think it would be interesting to see multiracial casting for the roles. I mean chances are it probably wouldn't be done properly if the people behind it didn't have a good understanding of the material. I mean I certainly have been burned before I was one of those idiots who was really optimistically awaiting DragonBall Evolution. I don't think it can't be done the studio just needs to actually care about the success of the film and keeping it somewhat faithful to the source material.

They could just hired the same people that were involved with the 2017 Power Rangers along with having Jennifer Morrison direct the film.

Jennifer Morrison's directing isn't anything special to me. I watched Warning Labels and it was decent.
Who knows what she could do.

The importance of a director for Sailor Moon for me would be the action sequences and the silver millennium scenes - thats why I'd rather have someone like Patty Jenkins -who directed Wonder Woman- take up the mantle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:54 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Enjoy Yourself
disney sm? all of my nope I'd rather see sm dbz evolution style and binge gifs of chiba kissing usagi than that

Attachments:
58845451.jpg
58845451.jpg [ 70.19 KiB | Viewed 969 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:01 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
Prince Rose wrote:
disney sm? all of my nope I'd rather see sm dbz evolution style and binge gifs of chiba kissing usagi than that

Double the nope for me!

Last edited by FloraKiraraHime on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:31 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SILVER wrote:
Darkstar7 wrote:
blondibear_17 wrote:
I would like to see a Hollywood version of Sailor Moon and I think it would be interesting to see multiracial casting for the roles. I mean chances are it probably wouldn't be done properly if the people behind it didn't have a good understanding of the material. I mean I certainly have been burned before I was one of those idiots who was really optimistically awaiting DragonBall Evolution. I don't think it can't be done the studio just needs to actually care about the success of the film and keeping it somewhat faithful to the source material.

They could just hired the same people that were involved with the 2017 Power Rangers along with having Jennifer Morrison direct the film.

Jennifer Morrison's directing isn't anything special to me. I watched Warning Labels and it was decent.
Who knows what she could do.

The importance of a director for Sailor Moon for me would be the action sequences and the silver millennium scenes - thats why I'd rather have someone like Patty Jenkins -who directed Wonder Woman- take up the mantle.

Why would you want the director of Wonder Woman for action sequences when most of the action sequences in that movie had terrible CGI? In addition, Wonder Woman (as a film, not the character) had some pretty bad acting, which is usually a result of poor direction. :( Even now, I don't understand why so many people liked it. I was really disappointed.

But to get back on topic...I'll make it easy for everyone:

Sailor Moon live-action movie, pros and cons:
Pros: It's Sailor Moon.
Cons: It's live-action.

Unless it's a Japanese live-action TV series, I don't think it'll do well.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:53 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
Darkstar7 wrote:
Ryo Urawa wrote:

true but it still used a Bayformers reject for the Megazord XD LMAO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:59 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Ryo Urawa wrote:
Darkstar7 wrote:
Ryo Urawa wrote:

true but it still used a Bayformers reject for the Megazord XD LMAO

At least we now know how an Evangelion would look like if Hollywood made one. :googly: :samus: :googly:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:41 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Neo Queen Serenity wrote:
I'd want for Disney to do a live action Sailor Moon movie. I loved Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast and the only cut I could see being made to the movie would be Princess Serenity's suicide like in the manga and Crystal. Plus, I'd love for Serenity to become a Disney Princess. :love:

I would be totally open to the idea of a Disney adaptation of Sailor Moon though I don't feel there is anything to lose if its not good but thats just my opinion. I mean I think it could be suited to the Marvel superhero movie treatment.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:39 pm 
Luna
Luna
Ryo Urawa wrote:

Whaaaaat? Power Rangers 2017 was awesome! What didn't you like about it? (Maybe send a PM since it's off-topic.)

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:03 pm 
Stella
Stella
blondibear_17 wrote:
I'd want for Disney to do a live action Sailor Moon movie. I loved Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast and the only cut I could see being made to the movie would be Princess Serenity's suicide like in the manga and Crystal. Plus, I'd love for Serenity to become a Disney Princess. :love:

I would be totally open to the idea of a Disney adaptation of Sailor Moon though I don't feel there is anything to lose if its not good but thats just my opinion. I mean I think it could be suited to the Marvel superhero movie treatment.

I'm inclined to agree as Marvel Movies are much better than anything DC does (yes I hate DC :lol: )

John wrote:
Ryo Urawa wrote:

Whaaaaat? Power Rangers 2017 was awesome! What didn't you like about it? (Maybe send a PM since it's off-topic.)

everything from the pointless and shameful product placement (☹ you Krispy Kreme) to the very terrible character designs (I mean I feel bad for Bryan Cranston it looked like they shoved his face into that one toy that if you put anything into it, it leaves an imprint on it)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:05 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Ryo Urawa wrote:

everything from the pointless and shameful product placement (☹ you Krispy Kreme) to the very terrible character designs (I mean I feel bad for Bryan Cranston it looked like they shoved his face into that one toy that if you put anything into it, it leaves an imprint on it)

Well I really liked that movie. I thought it proved that Hollywood can adapt something like this well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:13 pm 
Luna
Luna
Ryo Urawa wrote:
blondibear_17 wrote:

I'm inclined to agree as Marvel Movies are much better than anything DC does (yes I hate DC :lol: )

John wrote:
Ryo Urawa wrote:

I liked the character designs, and yes I know about that pin imprint toy you're talking about -- I actually think that's a brilliant way of rendering Zordon. So we'll just have to agree to disagree there because even beyond Zordon, I LOVE the Ranger designs. :)

The product placement was not pointless -- every big movie has product placement and it's a necessity. It was definitely a bit overkill, but I thought it was actually kinda funny. Like it was so extreme, it became funny. Seeing Rita actually taking a bite out of a donut was so ridiculous, but it was also campy which is very much in-line with what Power Rangers is. :)

You're not talking much about the story or the characters/actors themselves, though...that's really what makes a movie work or not. :)

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:17 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
John wrote:

I liked the character designs, and yes I know about that pin imprint toy you're talking about -- I actually think that's a brilliant way of rendering Zordon. So we'll just have to agree to disagree there because even beyond Zordon, I LOVE the Ranger designs. :)

The product placement was not pointless -- every big movie has product placement and it's a necessity. It was definitely a bit overkill, but I thought it was actually kinda funny. Like it was so extreme, it became funny. Seeing Rita actually taking a bite out of a donut was so ridiculous, but it was also campy which is very much in-line with what Power Rangers is. :)

You're not talking much about the story or the characters/actors themselves, though...that's really what makes a movie work or not. :)

I loved Rita and the doughnut! LOL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:18 pm 
Stella
Stella
actually I did talk about the characters John all their designs were terrible and what's with the Ironman reject outfits? I'll admit the black joke was amusing but that's about it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:27 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
Please no, everything but Disney. I don't want Sailor Moon to be "disneyficated", they already ruined Pinocchio and The Little Mermaid

Personally I felt the original Disney's Little Mermaid film with Ariel was far better then the Hans Christian Andersen version for a lot of reasons.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:14 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
MariaTenebre wrote:
Personally I felt the original Disney's Little Mermaid film with Ariel was far better then the Hans Christian Andersen version for a lot of reasons.

I agree on that. I love the original story but Disney did a much better job with their retelling

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:35 am 
Luna
Luna
Ryo Urawa wrote:
actually I did talk about the characters John all their designs were terrible and what's with the Ironman reject outfits? I'll admit the black joke was amusing but that's about it

You didn't talk about the characters...you talked about their DESIGNS. And for what it's worth, I like the suits. A lot.

I was referring to Jason and Kimberly's strong chemistry, Trini's sexuality and home life, Zack's struggle to take care of his mother, and Billy -- who was arguably the heart of the entire team. I'm talking about how their PERSONALITIES were reflected on the screen, and how the ACTORS portrayed them. I'm talking about the story of Jason falling from grace and rising again. I'm talking about that awesome campfire scene. "Are we Power Rangers, or are we friends?" That was an awesome line!

None of it was that "serious" I suppose, but you didn't mention any of that stuff...you're just focusing on the designs. The visuals. The surface. :o There's more to any film/story than what your eyes immediately see.

If you didn't like PR 2017 because you didn't like the story/plot/characters (as in their personalities and THEIR OWN STORIES) *in addition* to the suit designs etc., then that's fair. But just saying you didn't like the movie because you were not a fan of the suit designs, etc.? That's a pretty weak reason, if you ask me.

I *loved* the characters in PR 2017. Zordon actually had a personality. Alpha was finally entertaining. The teens weren't perfect. Billy was adorable. They felt like real kids. Rita was awesome. Her backstory with Zordon was really interesting and it makes a lot of sense. You don't have to like any of that stuff, but at least say that much -- don't just say that a movie was bad because you prefer the original TV show's designs. That's just one thing.

Now we're getting terribly off-topic. Maybe a mod can split this off into a general PR thread or something.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:25 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
John wrote:
Ryo Urawa wrote:

You didn't talk about the characters...you talked about their DESIGNS. And for what it's worth, I like the suits. A lot.

I was referring to Jason and Kimberly's strong chemistry, Trini's sexuality and home life, Zack's struggle to take care of his mother, and Billy -- who was arguably the heart of the entire team. I'm talking about how their PERSONALITIES were reflected on the screen, and how the ACTORS portrayed them. I'm talking about the story of Jason falling from grace and rising again. I'm talking about that awesome campfire scene. "Are we Power Rangers, or are we friends?" That was an awesome line!

None of it was that "serious" I suppose, but you didn't mention any of that stuff...you're just focusing on the designs. The visuals. The surface. :o There's more to any film/story than what your eyes immediately see.

If you didn't like PR 2017 because you didn't like the story/plot/characters (as in their personalities and THEIR OWN STORIES) *in addition* to the suit designs etc., then that's fair. But just saying you didn't like the movie because you were not a fan of the suit designs, etc.? That's a pretty weak reason, if you ask me.

I *loved* the characters in PR 2017. Zordon actually had a personality. Alpha was finally entertaining. The teens weren't perfect. Billy was adorable. They felt like real kids. Rita was awesome. Her backstory with Zordon was really interesting and it makes a lot of sense. You don't have to like any of that stuff, but at least say that much -- don't just say that a movie was bad because you prefer the original TV show's designs. That's just one thing.

Now we're getting terribly off-topic. Maybe a mod can split this off into a general PR thread or something.

They could do that with Sailor Moon have Queen Serenity be the first Sailor Moon making Serena/Usagi her descendant while Beryl could be a Sailor Guardian that betrayed & kill Mercury, Mars, Jupiter & Venus.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:16 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Prince Rose wrote:

I think we need to not use the dbz thing. I mean the biggest problum was they did not read or watch the source materaial.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:22 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
My vision for a perfect version of a Sailor Moon live action film would be like if a Disney Princess movie and a Marvel superhero movie had a baby just throw in some scifi space opera elements into the mix and were good. I didn't think Wonder Woman was all that great but it made me believe that they could do something like Sailor Moon and have it not look ridiculous. Visually maybe something like Scott Pilgrim would work for Sailor Moon's action sequences. Maybe :mischief:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:30 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Play it safe and go with Pixar. :samus: :pokeball: :samus:

Despite me not being a fan of 3D. ^_^

Too much green screen is bad. :tongue:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:26 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
rgveda99 wrote:
Play it safe and go with Pixar. :samus: :pokeball: :samus:

Despite me not being a fan of 3D. ^_^

Too much green screen is bad. :tongue:

What about Lionsgate?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:22 pm 
Luna
Luna
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I get the feeling that a live action SM movie made in the US would try too hard to be dark and gritty. They would probably have Chiba die at some point (but have him resurrected towards the end) and the Senshis' outfits would probably be dully colored and made of metal. :lol:

blondibear_17 wrote:
My vision for a perfect version of a Sailor Moon live action film would be like if a Disney Princess movie and a Marvel superhero movie had a baby just throw in some scifi space opera elements into the mix and were good. I didn't think Wonder Woman was all that great but it made me believe that they could do something like Sailor Moon and have it not look ridiculous. Visually maybe something like Scott Pilgrim would work for Sailor Moon's action sequences. Maybe :mischief:

That sounds like a good way to make it work.

Matte Lupin!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:14 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
GTAB wrote:
I get the feeling that a live action SM movie made in the US would try too hard to be dark and gritty. They would probably have Chiba die at some point (but have him resurrected towards the end) and the Senshis' outfits would probably be dully colored and made of metal. :lol:

blondibear_17 wrote:

That sounds like a good way to make it work.

or like Saban's Power Rangers.