It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sailor Moon US DVD Suubtitles
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:52 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
Hi there guys! It's been a while,
I was just wondering does anyone know if the subtitle quality in the newer Viz releases of Sailor Moon look any better than what I have from season 1 of the Viz release?
As you can see they're not the greatest of quality and was wondering if I should continue to go with the US release, or buy the rest from the Australian release (Madman).
Does anyone have any comparisons?

Attachments:
subtitles.png
subtitles.png [ 346.49 KiB | Viewed 1074 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon US DVD Suubtitles
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:56 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I mean, Madman's DVD subtitles aren't great quality either LOL I can check my VIZ DVDs when I get a chance though.

Last edited by ChibiBoi on Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:44 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Here's the thread you're looking for, recently updated to add S part 2's sub comparisons:

http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopi ... 22&t=26008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:03 am 
Luna
Luna
NJ_ wrote:
Here's the thread you're looking for, recently updated to add S part 2's sub comparisons:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26008

I believe OP is talking about the DVD subtitle image quality, not the actual translations? Correct me if I'm wrong. I just assumed because of the screenshot included. But I have noticed Madman's DVD subtitles lately have been direct image rips of the Viz DVD subtitles, so whatever quality Viz has, Madman will also get. Which is fine with me because in season 1, Madman's subtitles had a lot of inconsistencies including the font, and also missing punctuations.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:07 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I don't know why it seems like anime companies have stopped using yellow subtitles. I always found yellow to be easier to read in animation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:54 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I actually like AnimEigo's approach the best, and I wish more companies would try it. They switched colors for the different characters within a single scene. They usually flipped between yellow, green, and red. Made it easier to tell who's talking.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:00 am 
Luna
Luna
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I actually like AnimEigo's approach the best, and I wish more companies would try it. They switched colors for the different characters within a single scene. They usually flipped between yellow, green, and red. Made it easier to tell who's talking.

Like how VKLL did for his Sailor Moon fansubs?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:10 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Neon Genesis wrote:
I don't know why it seems like anime companies have stopped using yellow subtitles. I always found yellow to be easier to read in animation.

Sentai, Right Stuf, & Discotek* still use yellow subs for dialogue & white for signs. I believe Media Blasters still do as well though their sign subs are also yellow.

* - Depends on who's doing the subs for them because some Discotek releases have all-white subs.

FUNimation has always used white though there was a short period when they tried using yellow subs (see Summer Wars & Evangelion 2.22), it was at a time when everyone complained over their Blu-ray subs because they were unreadable for most people.

Comparison:

DBZ movies (previous)
Eva 2.22
DBZ series (current)

Not sure if Viz used anything other than white since their old Naruto, Bleach & Death Note DVDs from 10+ years ago are also white. The only thing I can think of that was different was the sign hardsubs their Honey & Clover DVDs had since I believe they were a darker color.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:53 am 
Luna
Luna
NJ_ wrote:
Not sure if Viz used anything other than white since their old Naruto, Bleach & Death Note DVDs from 10+ years ago are also white. The only thing I can think of that was different was the sign hardsubs their Honey & Clover DVDs had since I believe they were a darker color.

The season 1 and 2 single volume DVDs I used to own of InuYasha were yellow. However, the full season sets I recently got were all white.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:02 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
NJ_ wrote:
FUNimation has always used white though there was a short period when they tried using yellow subs (see Summer Wars & Evangelion 2.22), it was at a time when everyone complained over their Blu-ray subs because they were unreadable for most people.

Oh God, yeah. When I had Princess Jellyfish on BD, I had to watch it dubbed because the subs were literally ilegible.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:08 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Sorry for the delayed reply.
But to the point, I mean the "picture" quality of the subtitles themselves. Not the translations.
Using these screenshots of episodes I obtained ever so legally.. :ninja: You can see how much nicer quality these are, although I have a feeling they may be fan made?? (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
I was wondering how do the newer seasons, ie: R and S compare to the first season release. :)

Attachments:
sub2.png
sub2.png [ 266.92 KiB | Viewed 312 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:46 am 
Luna
Luna
Black Scythe wrote:
But to the point, I mean the "picture" quality of the subtitles themselves. Not the translations.
Using these screenshots of episodes I obtained ever so legally.. :ninja: You can see how much nicer quality these are, although I have a feeling they may be fan made?? (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
I was wondering how do the newer seasons, ie: R and S compare to the first season release. :)

The image you just posted is a fandub. The very first original post you made is the DVD subtitle. All DVD subtitles look as such and do not look as good as digital fansubs or Blu-ray subtitles because DVD subtitles use bitmap images and have a litmited amount of colors allowed per subtitle image.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:18 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
ChibiBoi wrote:
Black Scythe wrote:

The image you just posted is a fandub. The very first original post you made is the DVD subtitle. All DVD subtitles look as such and do not look as good as digital fansubs or Blu-ray subtitles because DVD subtitles use bitmap images and have a litmited amount of colors allowed per subtitle image.

So then what do the Blu-ray ones look like?