Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What do you love from each version?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:54 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Let's spread some positive vibes around here. :)

Name one thing from each of the main Sailor Moon adaptations (manga, 90s anime, musicals, PGSM, Crystal) that you LOVE. Maybe two things, but don't go overboard. ^_^'

Rules/suggestions/guidelines for the thread:
1) This is not a thread for getting into arguments or even passionate discussions about other people's tastes. If someone likes something about an adaptation that you mostly dislike, that's fine -- you don't need to talk about it here, as it's not an appropriate venue for such discourse. Feel free to make another thread or send the user a PM. This thread is for talking about the things we LOVE about Sailor Moon; it's not for defending those things in arguments with people who don't feel the same way.

2) Don't be snarky. If you dislike Crystal, for example, don't write something like "Well, it's hard to come up with something good for Crystal LOL, I guess the voice actors are okay" etc. Lose the attitude and just write about what you like.

3) If you haven't seen one of the adaptations or if you haven't read the manga, don't fret -- but don't write "nothing" or "I haven't seen it" either. Instead, I encourage you to write something that draws you to that version of Sailor Moon that you haven't yet experienced. Positivity!

4) All dubs count. If there's something special from your country's dub of the Sailor Moon anime (or Crystal), then feel free to share that. This goes for the DiC and Cloverway dubs, as well (and of course the new Viz dub). No bashing of the original English dubs here, please.

5) It can be anything -- as broad as an entire arc, or as specific as a certain page in the manga or a single scene from an anime. Anything at all!

6) If you think of more things after you post...feel free to write another post! :) No limitations in regards to that.

7) Feel free to discuss what other people bring up, as long as it's not a heavy, critical discussion that questions people's tastes or gets into a heavy and possibly controversial analysis of the material. But if someone likes something, feel free to ask questions etc. Discussion of some form is important -- if people just post their lists and move on, there'd be no point. :)

Okay, I'll start! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Manga - I like where Takeuchi takes the story. We explore the past, the future, the present, and then we go beyond all of that. The scope of the manga is truly fantastic.

90s Anime - The villains are so memorable in the 90s anime, particularly the "henchmen" crowd. I will always love the Amazon Trio thanks to the 90s anime.

Musicals - The Dracul arc stands out to me. It's so dark, mysterious, and different for Sailor Moon.

PGSM - I love how PGSM explored its characters. Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, and Venus probably had the most development here than in any other version of Sailor Moon.

Crystal - It's just great to see the manga being adapted more closely. I can't tell you how long I've waited to see the Dream arc adapted accurately, and I hope we'll get to see Stars as well.

#BlueLivesMatter

Post subject: Re: What do you love from each version?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:39 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Married to Litacan
Before I start, this is an excellent idea John. Let's spread some love around here.

Musicals and PGSM - Idle curiosity for me. Having only seen both anime I'm very curious to see the rest of the cannon, and being naturally curious I know that it'll happen sooner or later. Really I'd love to get a better idea of many of the things that seem to go over my head. ^_^'

Manga - but more than anything else I'd love to get my hands on the manga. Watching Crystal has made me realize that I really don't know that much about Sailor Moon at all, so ever since I'vd been on the lookout to find anywhere in Sydney that has the manga.

Crystal - I'm loving this anime! I absolutely love the story, it's so dense and dramatic. It's also very well written, I love intelligently written stories.

90s Anime - Mostly it's nostalgia, I still enjoy watching my DiC DVDs even today with my sister, we bond over our interest in Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:01 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
John, I think this is a wonderful idea.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (PGSM) - Character development for every single one of the characters, including the Four Generals. Stronger development for the Inner Senshi (Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Mercury). I loved the addition of Kusaka Hina as a suppoting character. The opening theme, Kirari*Sailor Dream is catchy.

90's Anime - I adored how goofy and klutzy Usagi was, especially in the first season. I loved the humor.

Manga - I loved the manga's artwork, it's pretty.

Sera Myu (Musicals/Stage plays) - This piques my interest.

Crystal - I love that it's much more direct adaptation of the manga. I also love Sailor Pluto's backstory!

DiC Entertainment (original English dub) - I loved the names Amy, Serena, Mina, and Lita. I loved Katie Griffin and Susan Roman as Rei and Lita.

Viz Media (current English dub) - We get all 200 episodes of the 90's anime (movies and specials included). Crystal dubbed.

Last edited by FloraKiraraHime on Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:17 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
SeraMyu: I love musicals and I especially love the new musicals with the all female cast. :love: I need to watch more of the musicals.

PGSM: I loved the character development and I also love Princess Sailor Moon and Sailor Luna. Also, I love Minako and Mio's idol songs. :love:

Manga: I love the Dark Kingdom, Dream, and Stars arcs along with the side stories and Codename Sailor V. I also love all the color illustrations Naoko has done.
:love:

90s anime: I love all the songs and the characters and the cast. Also, I especially love Classic and S. :love: The movies and specials are good too.

Dic dub: I love most of the cast and I love the original songs and music. :love:

Cloverway dub: I love Stephanie Beard as Chibiusa and I loved how they kept the original background music. :love:

Viz dub: From what I've seen so far I've enjoyed it. :love: I love that Sailor Moon is finally getting a proper complete series English dub. :love:

Crystal: I love Moon Pride and that they also kept Kotono Mitsuishi as Usagi. :love:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:28 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Manga: The beautiful artwork.

90s Anime: The Four Sisters' redemption storyline

DiC Dub: Everything

CWi Dub: Stephanie Beard as Rini

Viz Dub: Most of the villains have great voice actors

PGSM: Everything

Crystal: Love the music and elegant art direction

Original Musicals: Amazing music and interesting story ideas

New Musicals: Great music and gorgeous costumes and wigs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:32 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Manga: I enjoy the darkness of the plots and yet managing to keep it's fun. Also as fun as MOTD are, it's really interesting to see both sides directly clashing in almost every battle. It keeps the stakes higher.

90's anime: It is a really fun show. It covers a lot of storytelling tropes and genres while telling a cool story. It takes time to delve into the lives and stories of the characters sometimes even side characters.

DiC Dub: I like it for introducing me to Sailor Moon. It was fun coming home everyday to see the next episode and also collecting the episodes on VHS.

Viz Dub: It is awesome seeing Sailor Moon be as faithful to the original intent as possible in my own language. I remember watching the first two seasons on Hulu and it was like discovering Sailor Moon all over again. It also helped me learn how to pronounce a lot of the names more clearly

PGSM To this day I still haven't seen the whole thing but I know the basic story. I enjoy it for being bold enough to reinvent the story and characters, often in cool ways. I enjoy the fact that other Senshi actually get to destroy monsters on a regular basis.

Musicals I have not seen any but would like to someday

Crystal: Almost forgot this one. I like that it's similar to the manga but still expands certain things. I actually liked how most of season one went and I think each season got better in many ways.

I hope that covers everything and that I obeyed the rules :)

Last edited by doctorwho29 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:30 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
Manga:I love drawings the most
90s anime:I love filler episodes :love:
Crystal:Umm nothing much sadly ^_^' i just love it's like the manga
Seramyu:Musics.I didn't watched that much
Pgsm:Rei and Ami's parents having roles (even if little

That's all in a nutshell ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:39 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Manga- the brisk moving plot and story development

90s anime- The whole aspect of ordinary teenage girls coming together as a team to defend the world

DIC- the whole 90s of it

Cloverway- Stephanie Beard

PGSM- Based on what little I've seen? That version of Usagi might be my favorite version

Crystal-Moon Pride is pretty dope.

Viz- It somewhat brought Sailor Moon back to the mainstream. You can actually see Sailor Moon merchandise in retail stores now again something you really wouldnt between circa 2003-2013

Musicals- musicals are fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:14 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Original anime series - The comedy. Sure, it's filler heavy, but it creates a lighthearted atmosphere that makes much of the series rewatchable just for the goofy nature of the characters.

The manga - The serious overtones. I found the manga to be quite dark. Especially in the Dream and Stars arcs which added a different dimension to characters like Usagi, that did not exist in the original anime.

Crystal - It's cool to see the manga's story come to life after all these years. It's not a perfect adaption, but it's serviceable. I'm not sure if TOEI will water down the more macabre aspects of the last two arcs or not. Also the OST blows the original's out of the water.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:38 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
Manga: Naoko Takeuchi's art.

90's anime: Solidly written episodes, excellent animation (for its time), and the fact that it was my introduction to "Sailor Moon." I watched the anime in its uncensored form and knew nothing about the manga. Just think how surprised I felt when Sailor V finally showed up! Imagine my reaction while watching episode 45 for the first time. Nothing will compare to the experience of watching the 90's anime, in my opinion. The 90's anime not only introduced me to "Sailor Moon," but it also made me feel happy (comedy) and shocked (drama).

PGSM: Eer... as a Sailor V fan, I think the C'est la vie song is kind of cute. That's it.

Crystal: I like that we have a new anime. I grew up watching the 90's anime and I watched the 90's anime until exhaustion. Before Crystal, I wasn't interested in Sailor Moon at all; after Crystal, I became interested again. I enjoyed watching the episodes from each season and discussing them with fellow fans on the Internet (particularly fans from this web site). I like speculating about Crystal. I definitely felt surprised by season III and thought that season III was very good. I am eager to watch Dream and I hope that we get Stars, as well, and maybe, if we are lucky, a new OVA or film with a new original story to celebrate the franchise.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:11 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Lone Queen
Manga: Naoko Takeuchi's art and the serious storyline. I wasn't able to read the full manga until the Kodansha release in 2011, so the darker, more mature story was a refreshing change from the 90's anime that I was used to.
Another thing I love about the manga is all the small details that Takeuchi would put into each character's background/bio. Everything from the puns in their name, to their birthdays reflecting on their planet's influence. (Rei being an Aries, which is influenced by Mars. Michiru being a Pisces, which is influenced by Neptune, etc.). It just created a whole new level of fun for me.

90's anime: The original anime was my doorway to Sailor Moon, so to speak, so I'll always look on it fondly. Most of the villains were by far the most interesting in this adaptation, being given fleshed out characterization and their own struggles to deal with (that aren't the senshi).

Crystal: I just love that we're getting a new Sailor Moon anime after so many years! Especially one that's going to be closer to the manga. :love: My favorite things about it that come to mind are the new scenery/background designs, and the new music.

SeraMyu: It'll be rather difficult for me to keep this one short, since I'm so tempted to name my favorite things for each stage, but I'll behave! XD
I love that they're musicals (duh), because I'm a fan of them in general. I also love that the storylines are so interesting. Whether it's an adaptation with a twist like the Dracul arc, or a brand new story like Kaguya Shima Densetsu, it's always entertaining. :love:

NewMyu: I've only watched La Reconquista (once), but I remember that I loved the new set and costumes, and Lemures Baba.