* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sailor Moon as a Different Genre
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:43 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
We've all talked about whether or not we'd like a "Season 6" / continuation of the series, and usually people suggest that future arcs of Sailor Moon would revolve around Chibi Moon and her #squad. Well, what if Sailor Moon 'continued' (either as a 'season 6' of sorts or as another reboot) as a different genre rather than staying a magical girl series? For example...

1) A slice-of-life human drama/comedy about the girls' lives as college students or as adult women out in the work force. It might be fun to explore these characters in the context of their mundane lives when there are no bad guys to fight (though perhaps there could be the occasional episode where they do transform to stop some one-off villain.)

2) A medical drama about Ami, Mamoru, and Hotaru working together at the same hospital or starting their own clinic/private practice. Perhaps Setsuna would also be a major character if they carry on from her work as a school nurse in the Stars manga. This show could also borrow from the DiC dub and include Andrew/Motoki as a surgeon.

3) A musical drama/comedy, perhaps focusing on Minako's road to stardom, where each episode features lots of original songs and covers of classics.

4) An SD-style self-parody show, perhaps in the vein of "Teen Titans Go" (though hopefully engendering less fan hatred) where each episode is composed of 2 11-minute segments where the characters poke fun at themselves/the series and have madcap adventures.

5) A "Sailor Babies" type show the reimagines the characters either as babies or as young kids (maybe all around Chibiusa's age) a la shows like "Muppet Babies" or "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo."

What do you think? Would anyone be interested in any of the above different genre spin-offs of Sailor Moon? Anyone have any ideas for other genres a Sailor Moon spin-off could explore?

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon as a Different Genre
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:22 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Married to Litacan
Interesting concept.
To be honest the slice of life genre does interest me. I watched Harataku Maou-sama! and loved it, I'd love to see a Sailor Moon arc that does in fact take on the similar story and comedy about juggling the mundanity of life with being a magic girl, or really just the occasional reference to their past - Moon Kingdom and 90s anime.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:28 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yeah, sign me up for a slice-of-life version of the show. I'd still want them to be able to transform, but only for light-hearted things like Takeuchi's short stories from the manga.

Usually when I re-watch old Sailor Moon episodes, I mostly stick to the first half. I love magical girl of course, but I mostly just wanna see these characters interacting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:28 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
I think the first 2 ideas would work very well.

Why look for the key in another, the answer lays in his own heart, won't find yourself in some other, it always was there right at the start - Howard Jones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:00 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'd go with :rei: having her own ghostbusing series done the Japanese way. =^_^= It could possibly even be done like a found footage series.

MementoNepenthe wrote:
2) A medical drama about Ami, Mamoru, and Hotaru working together at the same hospital or starting their own clinic/private practice. Perhaps Setsuna would also be a major character if they carry on from her work as a school nurse in the Stars manga. This show could also borrow from the DiC dub and include Andrew/Motoki as a surgeon.

Just don't make :ami: look like she can do all kinds of surgery with her hands tied behind her back and at the same time make her a rocket scientist.

Both 90's and PGSM stretched her genius mind a bit too far.

MementoNepenthe wrote:
4) An SD-style self-parody show, perhaps in the vein of "Teen Titans Go" (though hopefully engendering less fan hatred) where each episode is composed of 2 11-minute segments where the characters poke fun at themselves/the series and have madcap adventures.

:eeklez:

Spoiler: show

Quote:
5) A "Sailor Babies" type show the reimagines the characters either as babies or as young kids (maybe all around Chibiusa's age) a la shows like "Muppet Babies" or "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo."

:|

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:10 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other ideas:

- A "Scooby-Doo" type show where the girls travel the world solving mysteries, paranormal or otherwise.

- A sports drama focusing on Haruka's career as a racecar driver (and/or Minako as a volleyball player)

- A political thriller revolving around Rei and her father's political career. (Or, alternatively, a political thriller revolving around Crystal Tokyo politics.)

- A mockumentary type show a la "The Office" or "Modern Family."

- A variety show consisting of musical performances from Minako and Michiru (and possibly the Three Lights), cooking segments hosted by Makoto, horoscopes/predictions from Rei, a science corner hosted by Ami and Setsuna, and various skits featuring the other characters

- For something completely different, what about a Sailor Moon game show? I'm picturing something like "Legends of the Hidden Temple" where teams would have to answer trivia questions, compete in physical challenges, and then complete some sort of Dark Kingdom obstacle course, looking for all the Rainbow Crystals or something?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:18 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
An SD parody show would be fine, it can be as entertaining as Naruto SD & DD Fist of the North Star were and can be episodic and with humor similar to the 90s anime.

Surprised Toei & Bandai never jumped at adapting the Dragon Ball SD manga.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:39 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I like the first idea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:49 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I'm surprised Sailor Moon hasn't gotten an SD parody yet as a lot of popular mainstream anime have gotten SD parodies like Attack on Titan and Assassination Classroom. What I really want is Sailor Moon as a mecha show. Have the exact same plot but the Sailor Guardians battle using giant robots like in Magic Knight Rayearth.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:35 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
I have always wondered what would SM be like if it was shounen. I mean the main characters woud still be girls but they would travel around the world, completeing quests or solving mysteries and then finally fighting against the main villian. I imagine it being kinda like manga's arcs but with more world travelling, adventures, nakama power and many more arcs. I can totally imagine the countless epic battles :cool:
It would be awesome if they do that with ChibiMoon and her senshi team after Crystal ends, but this will never happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:17 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
MoonRaito wrote:
I have always wondered what would SM be like if it was shounen. I mean the main characters woud still be girls but they would travel around the world, completeing quests or solving mysteries and then finally fighting against the main villian. I imagine it being kinda like manga's arcs but with more world travelling, adventures, nakama power and many more arcs. I can totally imagine the countless epic battles :cool:

It would either be something like:

Akame Ga Kill :thumbsup:

or

Slayers :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:15 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
How 'bout a noir detective style reimagining of the Sailor V?

Like, Wakagi is a hard boiled detective investigating the machinations of the so-called "Dark Agency", when a new sailor-suited masked vigilante appears and begins taking down the members of the agency herself, leading to Wakagi wanting to bring this "heroine" to justice, resulting in some rather "Batman vs. Harvey Bullock"-esque interactions between Sailor V and Wakagi.

And of course, Natsuna Sakurada would be the Commissioner Gordon type character here, favoring Sailor V's independence like she did in the manga and giving V special treatment and such, leading to some friction between her and Wakagi, who's trying to do everything by the book and disagrees with Sailor V's methods of taking the law into her own hands and undermining the police's work.

But, to really subvert the whole Batman-esque feel of this suggestion, Minako is still a happy-go-lucky middle school teenage girl who pretty much treats her Sailor V heroics like a game, which further enhances the irony that the professionals of the police department are being outdone by a mere child with no professional law-enforcement training whatsoever. :P

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:48 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
^^^

The idea of a "Sailor V: Noir" sounds amazing! :ohmy: :ohmy:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:46 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
^^^^ Indeed, it does. I love the subversion so as to make it feel less like Batman.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:32 pm 
Luna
Luna
I like it too.

I also have a few ideas of my own:

• Codename: Sailor V as seen by Hikaru. And maybe with an explanation of where she and Amano are during Sailor Moon.
  • Prequel about Michiru.
  • Something about Minako's part-time job in the police.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:40 pm 
Stella
Stella
I like the idea of a Noir styled take on Sailor V that would honestly make a really cool version of the Sailor V storyline if adapted for the 90s anime. I also liked Lord Martiya's ideas for a prequel focusing on Sailor Neptune as there is so much we don't know about her and how she awakens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:12 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
A SM road trip movie would be interesting, though I'm not sure who the best characters would be for it.

Why look for the key in another, the answer lays in his own heart, won't find yourself in some other, it always was there right at the start - Howard Jones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:20 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
GTAB wrote:
A SM road trip movie would be interesting, though I'm not sure who the best characters would be for it.

Usagi, Naru, Yumiko, and Kiri, perhaps? The movie could focus on Usagi reconnecting with her non-magical-powered friends :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:43 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
^ That idea would work very well, MementoNepenthe.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:24 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
How about a Sailor Moon Horror story? I thought of this story where a late bloomer youma who survived the Dark Kingdom and before Sailor Moon kills, it unleashes some kind of gas and slowly but surely, the five Sailor Guardians turn into monsters. Like Usagi turns into a vampire, Ami into a Gil Man-esque creature, Rei into a demon, Makoto into a werewolf and Minako into a Chupacabra-like creature. Kind of something like out of Cronenberg for example.

In fact, I vision Usagi's vampire form to be something straight out of The Strain like she looks like the Strigoi.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:54 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
The whole concept of the AMV just doesn't get old. =^_^= :yoshi: =^_^=

I know who would be the perfect villain for this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:56 am 
☽ Crescent Moonie
MoonRaito wrote:
It would be awesome if they do that with ChibiMoon and her senshi team after Crystal ends, but this will never happen.

Play Diablo 2 as a sorceress.

Play Dungeon Siege as a female combat mage.

THERE.

Actually, my current team sessions in d2 are almost sailor moon-like.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:57 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Lone Queen
MementoNepenthe wrote:
- A "Scooby-Doo" type show where the girls travel the world solving mysteries, paranormal or otherwise.

A la "Sailor Busters"? :D
I would definitely watch it!

MementoNepenthe wrote:
- A political thriller revolving around Rei and her father's political career. (Or, alternatively, a political thriller revolving around Crystal Tokyo politics.)

This makes me want to watch a version of Sailor Moon told from the POV of someone who doesn't know the senshi's civilian identities. (Maybe a political intern? Or even a high school student across the city or country)
That way, we could get a good glimpse of what the public's opinion on each unfolding event really is. Both the good and the bad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:10 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
MoonRaito wrote:

A simple scene like this one would've lasted a whole episode.

Imagine :setsuna: abusing all her time base abilities while :usagi:, :tuxspeedomask:, :minako:, :luna: and :artemis: doing all they can to survive.