Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Do you think Viz will release the old dub on DVD?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:13 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
After they're done promoting the redub do you think Viz will release the old dub on DVD? I really hope they do as I loved the old dub. :love:

Post subject: Re: Do you think Viz will release the old dub on DVD?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:43 am 
Luna
Luna
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: Married to Litacan
Really?
I love the old dub too, but judging by their taking down DiC videos I really don't think so. I hope they do but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:14 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
No way on earth. They just spent all this money, time and effort making the new ones only to then release the old ones? Highly doubt it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:03 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'd love it if they did, but they probably won't.

chrissifniotis wrote:
Really?
I love the old dub too, but judging by their taking down DiC videos I really don't think so. I hope they do but I doubt it.

I mean, the fact that they take down DiC videos on YouTube, etc. doesn't mean they won't release the DiC dub. That's just standard. They own the license to the show so they don't want it pirated streams out there, especially since they're trying to advertise their new dub.

Black Scythe wrote:
No way on earth. They just spent all this money, time and effort making the new ones only to then release the old ones? Highly doubt it.

Yeah, I'm confident that they COULD release the old dub if they wanted to, but it doesn't make any sense to do so while they're still producing their new dub.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:39 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I really hope they will, ideally re-assembled with the new HD remastered footage (from Toei; not Viz's mess!), but any official re-release would be welcome. However, I don't see it happening until they finish releasing their dub, and even then I think it'd only happen if enough people pester them enough to convince them it would be a smart move.

Its = Possessive. It's = Contraction of "it is."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:59 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
They probably won't, but if fans petition for it to be on Hulu or something then it will might happen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:10 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I really hope they will, ideally re-assembled with the new HD remastered footage (from Toei; not Viz's mess!), but any official re-release would be welcome. However, I don't see it happening until they finish releasing their dub, and even then I think it'd only happen if enough people pester them enough to convince them it would be a smart move.

If they wanted to re-assemble it with the new master, they have to find some way to grab DiC's CGI scene transitions too, unless they released DiC's dub without scene transitions but I think that would be weird.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:24 pm 
Luna
Luna
Yeah...honestly, if the old dub were to ever be released again, I wouldn't want them to re-create it in HD and have to re-assemble and re-edit everything, and possibly use new transitions. Just upscale the episodes. I'd be satisfied with that for the DiC dub.

The DiC episodes aren't about having the absolute best visual quality -- it's about preserving the experience. If you sacrifice the experience for higher visual quality, you're defeating the purpose.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:33 pm 
Luna
Luna
MementoNepenthe wrote:

I'm no expert on the subject but I can't imagine that would be easy to do with all of DiC's airbrushing and paint edits, CGI scene transitions, scene rearranging and speeding up.

If they used the new HD footage they would have to recreate all of DiC's alterations from scratch something I can't imagine any company bothering with....let alone Viz.

The best we can hope for is a basic dvd release that has the quality of...a pirated torrent from online.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:34 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
If they could do a nice looking upscale, I'd be fine with that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:18 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
John wrote:
Yeah...honestly, if the old dub were to ever be released again, I wouldn't want them to re-create it in HD and have to re-assemble and re-edit everything, and possibly use new transitions. Just upscale the episodes. I'd be satisfied with that for the DiC dub.

The DiC episodes aren't about having the absolute best visual quality -- it's about preserving the experience. If you sacrifice the experience for higher visual quality, you're defeating the purpose.

They're better off releasing SD Blu-ray Discs for the old dub instead of upscaling the video to HD and making it look worse than it already does. That's what Capcom did for the Street Fighter American cartoon (26 episodes on 1 disc) and what Discotek has done for Samurai Pizza Cats (which was a confirmed seller), the Wizard of Oz anime and also for Fist of the North Star. With the old dub being 159 episodes & 3 movies, that can easily fit in 4 discs if done in SD and it won't have any compression problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:42 pm 
Luna
Luna
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
I'm no expert on the subject but I can't imagine that would be easy to do with all of DiC's airbrushing and paint edits, CGI scene transitions, scene rearranging and speeding up.

If they used the new HD footage they would have to recreate all of DiC's alterations from scratch something I can't imagine any company bothering with....let alone Viz.

The best we can hope for is a basic dvd release that has the quality of...a pirated torrent from online.

They'd have to ask Fighter4Luv fandubs for their CGI renderings LOL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:55 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
I see no reason why they would. They went to all the trouble to make their own dub. Personally, I see no need for the old dub to come back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:11 am 
Luna
Luna
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
If Viz could work something out with Hulu and Toei, then maybe the old dub could be shown on Toonami.

Matte Lupin!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:34 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Whilst Viz might be the current Sailor Moon license holder I think you will find that they have absolutely NO rights to the old Dub whatsoever.

The dub whilst Sailor Moon is a derrivative work created by Dic or whoever owns those rights now. You can't just "take" another companies dub and stick it on your DVD's just because you are the current license holder - they would have to pay Dic or whoever for the rights to the old dub audio track - not to mention the changes in video etc.

That's why the Wizard of Oz being released by Discotek is English dub only because there are so many changes it would be impossible to make a combined release - they still haven't said if they will release a Japanese version.

Another great example - Star Trek DS9 / Voyager / Babylon 5 - everyone is crying out for blu-rays but it just it ain't gona happen because everything was shot in standard def and they lost all the data for the CG Models.

- Viz aren't bothered with the old dub because they got their own
- Nobody is wiling to splat a huge amount of money on remastering for blu-ray an old dub that only a small subset of the Sailor Moon fandom feels remotely any nostalgia for.
- The likely amount of fans who would a) want b) be prepared to pay the price require for SD remastered blu-rays of the old dub is probably very small

Bottom Line - the best you can hope for is a bargain bucket re-release but even that probably is a long shot - you should have bought the DVD's when they were in print.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:55 am 
Luna
Luna
GTAB wrote:
If Viz could work something out with Hulu and Toei, then maybe the old dub could be shown on Toonami.

I doubt Toonami would want to pick it up. They're only on one night a week and they don't play any old shows. Plus Sailor Moon doesn't fit with their current target demographic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:08 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
mrploddy wrote:
Whilst Viz might be the current Sailor Moon license holder I think you will find that they have absolutely NO rights to the old Dub whatsoever.

The dub whilst Sailor Moon is a derrivative work created by Dic or whoever owns those rights now. You can't just "take" another companies dub and stick it on your DVD's just because you are the current license holder - they would have to pay Dic or whoever for the rights to the old dub audio track - not to mention the changes in video etc.

This is not true and something that we've gone over before several times on here. Viz has already stated that Toei owns all the rights to the anime, including the previous dub. When the license lapsed back in the day, ALL rights and materials reverted back to Toei. (Even Toonmakers has said the same thing, that Toei owns all rights and has possession of all original materials for the 'Saban Moon' pilot.) When asked about the original dub back when their re-dub was announced, Viz gave an answer that suggested a re-release was possible but there issues with some of the materials being damaged/missing/incomplete and that a re-release wasn't a priority for them at that time anyway. The obstacle to a re-release of the original dub seems to have more to do with the state of the dub materials, not any rights/licensing issues.

Quote:
Bottom Line - the best you can hope for is a bargain bucket re-release but even that probably is a long shot - you should have bought the DVD's when they were in print.

What an incredibly pompous, sanctimonious thing to say. Sorry that not everyone had the money to buy the DVDs when they were in print, or that everyone was able to find them all, or that people knew they would fall out of print and become impossible to track down. If I had known then what I know now, I would have bought all the DVDs I could find. As it is, I'm thankful I have the full S and SuperS releases on DVD, the S Movie on DVD, all three movies on tape, the Secret Identities tape, and one DVD from the R dub.

Also, the people who want a re-release of the original dub are far from a minority. There are TONS of Sailor Moon fans - both within the active fandom and within the general public of more casual fans - who loved the original dub and would want to be able to get it on official DVD/BD. You are way underestimating the interest in the original dub.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:41 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Well fine then I have learned something.

(PS I was a hard up student once - I have fond memories of going overdrawn JUST so I could buy the Anza and Fumina boxsets. I incurred LOTS of bank charges because of CD Japan and their weird late charging but boy was it worth it.)

Still doesn't detract from the fact that do you know the EXACT terms and conditions of every dub actor that took part in the original dub and all the production staff ?. Even if all rights reverted to Toei that doesn't mean there are still enforceable contracts out there that would demand negotiation for someone to get their piece of the pie of any new home release.

Take for example Yamato 2199 - this suddently stopped mid way through release - it's fully translated and the Japanese home release had embedded English subs yet Voyager Entertainment stopped mid way and shut shop. That's because someone somewhere started shaking their legal stick at it.

Or take Candy Candy ? That anime will probably never see the light of day again because of the legal battle between the author and the artist.

Or closer to home - why have the Kanabe Miyuki musicals never been released on DVD yet they were released on VHS.

My point - just because it exists, just because someone owns a copyright does NOT automatically mean that it can be dropped on to DVD at the drop of a hat. There are lots of people who have lots of fingers in lots of pies and it's not as easy as you think it might be.

Still doesn't detract from the point that the chances of people throwing money at upgrading the old dub with new hi-def materials is very slim. If you want to prove a point start a petition asking for a high grade upgrade of the dub. But bear in mind - it's got to make money....SERIOUS money for a company to want to get involved.

Star Trek Voyager / DS9 COULD be brought out on blu-ray but nobody wants to sped the money to redo all the digital effects same as there would be lots of work to redo and upgrade all the stuff that was changed in the original dub to make it hi-def. If DS9 / Voyager despite a much larger fandom can't achieve that what chance do you think the old dub has ?. I can tell you why - The Original Series and TNG the numbers SUCKED they SUCKED HARD. The amount of purchases fell seriously below expectations.

There can often be a LARGE gap between fandom believe and commercial reality.

I didn't say it wouldn't happen at all what I said was the most you could hope for was a bargain bucket re-release. Don't expect the full on luxury treatment that the new dub is getting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:43 pm 
Luna
Luna
mrploddy wrote:
(PS I was a hard up student once - I have fond memories of going overdrawn JUST so I could buy the Anza and Fumina boxsets. I incurred LOTS of bank charges because of CD Japan and their weird late charging but boy was it worth it.)

Been there...glad to know this isn't uncommon for fans of relatively obscure Japanese things. ^_^' ^_^' ^_^'

mrploddy wrote:
I didn't say it wouldn't happen at all what I said was the most you could hope for was a bargain bucket re-release. Don't expect the full on luxury treatment that the new dub is getting.

I wouldn't even suggest that the new dub is getting a "luxury" treatment based on the Blu-rays...not-so-great video quality with the worst extras imaginable. (Seriously, who cares about footage from conventions? As an "extras" guy, I'd prefer voice actor commentaries more than anything else.)

But yeah, I don't think ANYONE here is thinking that the old dub could get a "luxury" treatment. That's why I said I'd be satisfied with a very simple Blu-ray upscale -- or, like NJ suggested, releasing the show on SD Blu-ray. Or even just on DVD. I don't think anyone really wants bells and whistles for the old dub.

And yeah, it's true that contracts are a thing and disputes do happen, but Viz seemed to make it clear that they have the rights to distribute the DiC dub if they chose to -- it's a matter of missing/incomplete materials and a question of whether or not it would sell. If there were any preventative contracts or things like that, I don't think they would have stated that such a release was in the realm of possibility.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:55 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
GTAB wrote:
The only interest in Sailor Moon that Toonami has is their wanting Crystal. They don't want the 90s anime. But Hulu beat'em to the punch on Crystal, so Toonami's out of luck.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:55 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
mrploddy wrote:

This is not true and something that we've gone over before several times on here. Viz has already stated that Toei owns all the rights to the anime, including the previous dub. When the license lapsed back in the day, ALL rights and materials reverted back to Toei. (Even Toonmakers has said the same thing, that Toei owns all rights and has possession of all original materials for the 'Saban Moon' pilot.) When asked about the original dub back when their re-dub was announced, Viz gave an answer that suggested a re-release was possible but there issues with some of the materials being damaged/missing/incomplete and that a re-release wasn't a priority for them at that time anyway. The obstacle to a re-release of the original dub seems to have more to do with the state of the dub materials, not any rights/licensing issues.

Quote:

What an incredibly pompous, sanctimonious thing to say. Sorry that not everyone had the money to buy the DVDs when they were in print, or that everyone was able to find them all, or that people knew they would fall out of print and become impossible to track down. If I had known then what I know now, I would have bought all the DVDs I could find. As it is, I'm thankful I have the full S and SuperS releases on DVD, the S Movie on DVD, all three movies on tape, the Secret Identities tape, and one DVD from the R dub.

Also, the people who want a re-release of the original dub are far from a minority. There are TONS of Sailor Moon fans - both within the active fandom and within the general public of more casual fans - who loved the original dub and would want to be able to get it on official DVD/BD. You are way underestimating the interest in the original dub.

Yeah, that was a pretty weird thing to say. Not everyone who is a fan now was even old enough to have an income at that time so how could they have bought it if they didn't have the money or the independence to order something online or get to the store to get it? I personally would be fine with a very conservative release for me it wouldn't have to be an Bluray or have a limited edition box or anything as long as it comes in a solid DVD case that holds everything and looks somewhat pretty. Something extra 90's looking and hopefully prismatic and shiny. I mean its been a while since I busted out out my old DVDs but they look okay enough I would just appreciate having a dubbed box set with discs that are not used. All the Dic and Cloverway releases I have are preowned its practically impossible to find any of the old stock new and if you can its ridiculously over prices whether its new or used. Don't get me started on those ugly signature series dvds.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:58 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Well FUNimation did re-release the old Saban/Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Z a few years ago in a collector's boxset. The big difference: FUNimation helped produce that dub, and still own all rights to it.
There would probably be interest in Viz releasing a new boxset of the 82 DiC episodes of Sailor Moon, but Viz had nothing to do with it, and there are various elements that are a part of it, such as the original music, that may not have reverted back to Toei. Viz would probably need to negotiate a deal with both Toei and DHX Media (the current owner of DiC's assets), and it might not be worth it at that point. ADV sub-licensed the show directly from DiC, and would not have run into this problem.
Materials shouldn't be a problem. Viz could just rip the files from the ADV DVDs. Discotek does that sort of thing all the time.
There's also no reason Viz couldn't have included the Cloverway dub for S and SuperS, and the movies as an alternate audio track on their existing release. That dub was visually uncut, and had no original music, etc. If they had to, they could've easily swapped the opening theme to Japanese.

At least the dub was released to disc at one point, and not impossible to collect and own.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:33 am 
Luna
Luna
^IIRC its already been discussed on this forum that the DiC music got wrapped in the rights. Just like how Toei completely owns the Toonmakers Moon pilot. Still their IP.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:48 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
John wrote:
I wouldn't even suggest that the new dub is getting a "luxury" treatment based on the Blu-rays...not-so-great video quality with the worst extras imaginable. (Seriously, who cares about footage from conventions? As an "extras" guy, I'd prefer voice actor commentaries more than anything else.)

Which extras are you referring to? Here's the full list:

Season 1:
-Announcement Panel - From Anime Central 2014
-Behind The Scenes - Interviews with Stephanie Sheh & Robbie Daymond recorded at Studiopolis + Viz staff at their office
-Fan Reactions - From Anime Central 2014
-AX Sailor Moon Reel - Anime Expo 2014 highlights
-Moonlight Memories Part 1 - Fan thoughts from Anime Expo & Otakon 2014
-Sailor Moon Panel - From Anime Expo 2014 with Stephanie Sheh, Kate Higgins, Cristina Vee, Amanda Miller, Cherami Leigh & Robbie Daymond
-Cosplay Team Interview - From Anime Expo & Otakon 2014
-Sailor Moon Day Highlights - From Anime Expo, San Diego Comic-Con & Otakon 2014
-Art Galleries - Designs by Marco Albiero (same as all international releases)
-Clean Opening & Ending (Opening 1 ver 2 & Ending 1 ver 2 only)
-Ending song w/credits (because they didn't have a clean version of Princess Moon for some reason)

R:
-Cast Interview - From Anime Expo 2014 with Stephanie Sheh, Kate Higgins, Cristina Vee, Amanda Miller, Cherami Leigh & Robbie Daymond
-Behind The Scenes - Interviews with Cristina Vee & Amanda Miller for Part 1 + Cherami Leigh & Veronica Taylor for Part 2, each done at Studiopolis
-Sailor Moon At Otakon - Interview with Stephanie Sheh & Robbie Daymond from Otakon 2014
-Welcome, Chibi-usa! - Sandy Fox interview featuring Stephanie Sheh, Cristina Vee, Amanda Miller & Cherami Leigh, done at Viz's offices.
-Sailor Moon Anniversary - Fan thoughts from Anime Central 2015
-Art Galleries - Designs by Marco Albiero
-Clean Opening & Ending

R Movie:
-Make Up Sailor Guardians special
-Theatrical Intro with the English Cast - Featuring Stephanie Sheh, Robbie Daymond & Ben Diskin
-2017 Los Angeles Premiere - Q&A from after the premiere with Stephanie Sheh, Cristina Vee, Amanda Miller, Cherami Leigh, Robbie Daymond, Sandy Fox, Michelle Ruff, Ben Diskin, Carrie Keranen & ADR Director Suzanne Goldish
-Art Gallery - Originally from the Japanese DVD and designs I believe were by Kazuko Tadano (character designer for this and the first 2 seasons)

S:
-English Cast Interview - From Anime Expo 2015 with Stephanie Sheh, Cristina Vee, Amanda Miller, Cherami Leigh, Robbie Daymond, Sandy Fox & Ben Diskin
-Keith Silverstein interview - From Anime Expo 2015
-Getting To Know The Guardians: Uranus, Neptune & Saturn - Interviews with Erica Mendez, Lauren Landa & Christine Marie Cabanos, recorded at Viz's offices in April 2016 (confirmed here)
-Episode 119 Live Reaction - With Erica Mendez, Lauren Landa & Christine Marie Cabanos, recorded at Viz's offices on the same day as the interviews.
-Clean Opening & Ending (Version 3 opening only (missing Version 2) and both look like they came straight from the Pioneer DVDs)

SuperS:
-Confirmed: From Anime Boston 2017, they taped a Tuxedo Mask interview with Robbie Daymond and Tōru Furuya, who was a guest at that convention.
-Prediction: Perhaps a cast interview from Anime Boston since they also had Michelle Ruff & Johnny Yong Bosch at their panel with Cherami & Sandy.
-Prediction: With the recent announcement of Kirbopher voicing Pegasus, I can imagine they will tape something with him for Part 2
-Expected: Art Galleries & Clean 2nd Opening & Ending

Crystal seasons 1 & 2:
-Behind The Scenes-Introduction to Sailor Moon Crystal - English cast interview from Anime Expo 2015 with Stephanie Sheh, Cristina Vee, Amanda Miller, Cherami Leigh & Robbie Daymond
-Interview with the band Momoiro Clover Z - From Anime Expo 2015 in which they were guests at that convention.
-Art Galleries - Designs by Yukie Sakō
-Clean Opening & Ending (Dark Kingdom opening only)

I think the worst of the extras stopped after season 1 and while R did have something unnecessary (the ACen '15 extra), those sets are not as heavy on the fan/cosplayer thoughts as the former.

If you were expecting extras from the Japanese LDs, that wasn't going to happen regardless of who got the show because those never left that format due to Toei being cheap and not paying for clearances (look at the bare-bones R2 DVDs and especially the new Japanese BDs) and were also never released internationally. The lack of Crystal's commentaries might be Viz's fault but then nobody brings those over anymore for any other anime (unless it's for rescues that had them before like Code Geass & Eureka Seven) and for a good reason as explained here.

I get not being a fan of modern dubs and all but to call all of these the worst extras imaginable is ridiculous, and you say voice actor commentaries are better? I disagree, ADV "died" (and became Sentai Filmworks & friends) a long time ago and so did any consistently good English voice actor commentary since because with FUNimation, it has been boring, off-topic crap from them most of the time and any good commentary from them is extremely rare. Now they're slowly being phased out of more recent releases in general and they have been doing their own voice actor interviews & segments the same way Viz has.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
There's also no reason Viz couldn't have included the Cloverway dub for S and SuperS, and the movies as an alternate audio track on their existing release. That dub was visually uncut, and had no original music, etc. If they had to, they could've easily swapped the opening theme to Japanese.

With S & SuperS, there's the issue of the Next Episode Previews but that could have been dealt with by having them be music-only for that audio track.

The movies however, there really is no excuse for not including them, especially when multi-dub releases of certain movies & OVAs have been more of a thing in recent years thanks to Discotek.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:25 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
NJ_ wrote:
John wrote:

Which extras are you referring to? Here's the full list:

Season 1:
-Announcement Panel - From Anime Central 2014
-Behind The Scenes - Interviews with Stephanie Sheh & Robbie Daymond recorded at Studiopolis + Viz staff at their office
-Fan Reactions - From Anime Central 2014
-AX Sailor Moon Reel - Anime Expo 2014 highlights
-Moonlight Memories Part 1 - Fan thoughts from Anime Expo & Otakon 2014
-Sailor Moon Panel - From Anime Expo 2014 with Stephanie Sheh, Kate Higgins, Cristina Vee, Amanda Miller, Cherami Leigh & Robbie Daymond
-Cosplay Team Interview - From Anime Expo & Otakon 2014
-Sailor Moon Day Highlights - From Anime Expo, San Diego Comic-Con & Otakon 2014
-Art Galleries - Designs by Marco Albiero (same as all international releases)
-Clean Opening & Ending (Opening 1 ver 2 & Ending 1 ver 2 only)
-Ending song w/credits (because they didn't have a clean version of Princess Moon for some reason)

R:
-Cast Interview - From Anime Expo 2014 with Stephanie Sheh, Kate Higgins, Cristina Vee, Amanda Miller, Cherami Leigh & Robbie Daymond
-Behind The Scenes - Interviews with Cristina Vee & Amanda Miller for Part 1 + Cherami Leigh & Veronica Taylor for Part 2, each done at Studiopolis
-Sailor Moon At Otakon - Interview with Stephanie Sheh & Robbie Daymond from Otakon 2014
-Welcome, Chibi-usa! - Sandy Fox interview featuring Stephanie Sheh, Cristina Vee, Amanda Miller & Cherami Leigh, done at Viz's offices.
-Sailor Moon Anniversary - Fan thoughts from Anime Central 2015
-Clean Opening & Ending

R Movie:
-Make Up Sailor Guardians special
-Theatrical Intro with the English Cast - Featuring Stephanie Sheh, Robbie Daymond & Ben Diskin
-2017 Los Angeles Premiere - Q&A from after the premiere with Stephanie Sheh, Cristina Vee, Amanda Miller, Cherami Leigh, Robbie Daymond, Sandy Fox, Michelle Ruff, Ben Diskin, Carrie Keranen & ADR Director Suzanne Goldish
-Art Gallery - Originally from the Japanese DVD and designs I believe were by Kazuko Tadano (character designer for this and the first 2 seasons)

S:
-English Cast Interview - From Anime Expo 2015 with Stephanie Sheh, Cristina Vee, Amanda Miller, Cherami Leigh, Robbie Daymond, Sandy Fox & Ben Diskin
-Keith Silverstein interview - From Anime Expo 2015
-Getting To Know The Guardians: Uranus, Neptune & Saturn - Interviews with Erica Mendez, Lauren Landa & Christine Marie Cabanos, recorded at Viz's offices in April 2016 (confirmed here)
-Episode 119 Live Reaction - With Erica Mendez, Lauren Landa & Christine Marie Cabanos, recorded at Viz's offices on the same day as the interviews.
-Clean Opening & Ending (Version 3 opening only (missing Version 2) and both look like they came straight from the Pioneer DVDs)

SuperS:
-Confirmed: From Anime Boston 2017, they taped a Tuxedo Mask interview with Robbie Daymond and Tōru Furuya, who was a guest at that convention.
-Prediction: Perhaps a cast interview from Anime Boston since they also had Michelle Ruff & Johnny Yong Bosch at their panel with Cherami & Sandy.
-Prediction: With the recent announcement of Kirbopher voicing Pegasus, I can imagine they will tape something with him for Part 2
-Expected: Art Galleries & Clean 2nd Opening & Ending

Crystal seasons 1 & 2:
-Behind The Scenes-Introduction to Sailor Moon Crystal - English cast interview from Anime Expo 2015 with Stephanie Sheh, Cristina Vee, Amanda Miller, Cherami Leigh & Robbie Daymond
-Interview with the band Momoiro Clover Z - From Anime Expo 2015 in which they were guests at that convention.
-Art Galleries - Designs by Yukie Sakō
-Clean Opening & Ending (Dark Kingdom opening only)

I think the worst of the extras stopped after season 1 and while R did have something unnecessary (the ACen '15 extra), those sets are not as heavy on the fan/cosplayer thoughts as the former.

If you were expecting extras from the Japanese LDs, that wasn't going to happen regardless of who got the show because those never left that format due to Toei being cheap and not paying for clearances (look at the bare-bones R2 DVDs and especially the new Japanese BDs) and were also never released internationally. The lack of Crystal's commentaries might be Viz's fault but then nobody brings those over anymore for any other anime (unless it's for rescues that had them before like Code Geass & Eureka Seven) and for a good reason as explained here.

I get not being a fan of modern dubs and all but to call all of these the worst extras imaginable is ridiculous, and you say voice actor commentaries are better? I disagree, ADV "died" (and became Sentai Filmworks & friends) a long time ago and so did any consistently good English voice actor commentary since because with FUNimation, it has been boring, off-topic crap from them most of the time and any good commentary from them is extremely rare. Now they're slowly being phased out of more recent releases in general and they have been doing their own voice actor interviews & segments the same way Viz has.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

With S & SuperS, there's the issue of the Next Episode Previews but that could have been dealt with by having them be music-only for that audio track.

The movies however, there really is no excuse for not including them, especially when multi-dub releases of certain movies & OVAs have been more of a thing in recent years thanks to Discotek.

I personally was gonna say that I wished they did commentaries like Funimation does I think they are fun I mean some of the stuff is dumb but they usually do get into talking about the actual content and hearing some of the stuff about why the ADR director or the actors made this or that choice. I feel like Viz interviews with the actors are so short and nothing really gets said that isn't some lame stock answer about how they auditioned for the role and either saw or never saw the show before or how cool cosplayers that do their characters are.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:08 am 
Luna
Luna
NJ, you honestly did not need to type all of that out.

Yes I feel those are lousy extras. Anything that comes from a convention does not belong on a disc as an extra. Like Blondibear above me writes, the in-house interviews are often short and feel insignificant. No, I was not expecting the Japanese extras. Clean OP/EDs are very standard and so are art galleries -- I was mostly referring to all of the nonsense that was filmed at conventions.

And yes, I would prefer VA commentaries. I would also enjoy director commentaries, or possibly short videos that act as documentaries into the season or important story aspects of the season. Like I'd love to see the director and VAs talk solely about Uranus and Neptune and how Sailor Moon presents LGBT characters as a "focus" special, or actually discussing the direction of the show in a meaningful way. But aside from that, I personally enjoy VA commentaries as you often learn a lot of interesting things that you don't always get from generic interviews.

I don't need all of my anime to have extras, but to be honest I prefer barebones releases over any extra that has fans involved, or any extra that was filmed at a convention. It just feels insulting to me for some reason.

Doesn't matter that you took the time to either type or copy/paste and organize a neat list of the extras. It just confirms to me that most of them are garbage in my opinion.

EDIT: And the art galleries are Albiero's work which is not what I want to see. It's bad enough we have to see it on the packaging, but some actual art from the show would be nice. Not necessarily the fault of Viz here but it still counts as a lousy extra IMO.

I would also love to see dub outtakes or blooper reels as those have a certain value in that you really can't find them anywhere else -- and I mean honest dubbing bloopers, not stuff they made up to sound funny for the sake of the reel.

For the 90s anime it would be cool to see a segment about the monsters of the day. Maybe include interviews with some of those VAs. What about segments that focus on the villains, since they're so fleshed out in the 90s anime compared to the manga and Crystal?

Listing the Make Up special as an extra on the R movie is ridiculous because that special belongs with the movie regardless. Viz didn't do anything special by including it -- they would have done something out of the question if they chose NOT to include it like Pioneer did, if I recall.

Notice we have a "getting to know the Guardians" segment which is a step in the right direction, but what about the other Sailor Senshi? Why haven't they been doing these for the Inners? What about poor Pluto?

I hope they don't give this Kirbopher guy his own extra, just seems to be glorifying a rather standard-sounding VA because he came from YGO Abridged (as far as I can tell).

Maybe some of this sounds a bit old-school (like you said, VA commentaries are rare nowadays and I think I've only seen blooper reels in much older releases) but at the same time, when anime releases in general don't have much extras in the first place nowadays, I think that Viz should've gone all out if they wanted to include extras.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:41 pm 
Luna
Luna
Kirbopher didnt come from Yu-Gi-Oh abridged fyi. You're thinking of Little Kuriboh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:09 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
While the old dub provided some good memories and introduced us to the franchise, I doubt it.
Most want to forget about it all together since it was really bad. Plus the way it handled the series was horrid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:34 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I agree music rights are probably the big reason why the DiC version hasn't been re-released yet, but I think fans are under- estimating how big a seller nostalgia is. The DiC dub cast is still popular with fans and a lot of fans still prefer the DiC cast over the Viz cast. The Sailor Moon Says YouTube channel is devoted to uploading clips of the DiC and Cloverway dubs, and it has over 9,000 subscribers at the moment, so I think the DiC dub still has a lot of interest. I would love to own the DiC dub as the original release was too expensive and too difficult to try and collect all the single volumes. The DiC dub was how I discovered Sailor Moon and is an important part of fandom history and I would love to have it in my anime collection.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:08 pm 
Luna
Luna
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
Kirbopher didnt come from Yu-Gi-Oh abridged fyi. You're thinking of Little Kuriboh

Someone on this forum told me he voiced Noah in YGO Abridged. I'm sure he's done other things but that's what came to mind first. Nothing against him, I'm sure he'll be a fine Helios, but it sounds like that orediction for an extra would just be because of his other works and his recognizability as opposed to his actual work on the show. That's just what I'd fear.

To get back on topic...

And I agree with NeonGenesis, there is still a lot of interest in the old dub -- especially now that there's a new one.

#BlueLivesMatter