Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Do you think Viz will release the old dub on DVD?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:13 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
...Wait, WHAT?! KIRBOPHER?! Why am I just hearing this now?!

That's so shocking!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
John wrote:
I would also love to see dub outtakes or blooper reels as those have a certain value in that you really can't find them anywhere else -- and I mean honest dubbing bloopers, not stuff they made up to sound funny for the sake of the reel.

I used to complain over the lack of outtake extras in anime myself because I enjoy them the most but it was recently explained during one of Pied Piper's Skip Beat updates that the Japanese considers them to be editing the footage and needs certain approvals in order for that to happen so they failed.

It probably depends on the Japanese licensor and staff members but I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Viz & FUNi also stopped doing them (which sucks in FUNi's case because they tried bringing them back at the time of FMA Brotherhood's release and they were actually pretty good).

Quote:
Listing the Make Up special as an extra on the R movie is ridiculous because that special belongs with the movie regardless. Viz didn't do anything special by including it -- they would have done something out of the question if they chose NOT to include it like Pioneer did, if I recall.

Perhaps but they did treat it as an extra by not including chapter stops (one of many problems with that release). I personally would have preferred it to be a fifth main option in the disc menus or at least in a separate "Select Feature" menu under the play option (similar to a lot of double feature releases).

Quote:
Notice we have a "getting to know the Guardians" segment which is a step in the right direction, but what about the other Sailor Senshi? Why haven't they been doing these for the Inners? What about poor Pluto?

They're the exact same as the behind the scenes extras in seasons 1 & R, each of them were solo interviews with most of the same questions asked with the only difference being that they were taped in a different location.

Quote:
Maybe some of this sounds a bit old-school (like you said, VA commentaries are rare nowadays and I think I've only seen blooper reels in much older releases) but at the same time, when anime releases in general don't have much extras in the first place nowadays, I think that Viz should've gone all out if they wanted to include extras.

On the dub side I think they have been decent (the only thing missing perhaps is with the villains and more of Mercury), and as for the Japanese, the planned SuperS extra is a decent start but I still say if they don't get Kotono Mitsuishi for something then it'll be a missed opportunity.

Plus I've seen worse from Viz, their recent Ranma ½ releases were stripped of the voice actor extras that their original DVDs had and the only actual extras they had included were just fan thoughts. This is why I was worried for their Death Note BDs for a while because those DVDs had A LOT of extras for both versions and they had previously stripped most of the extras from the live-action movie DVDs for their double feature Blu-ray set but thankfully they kept everything for the anime.

Last edited by NJ_ on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:11 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I think some Moonies have unrealistic expectations of what kind of extras to expect from an anime release. Unless it's a big name movie or something, most anime only gives you like the textless credits and an art gallery, and maybe some fancy art cards and box to hold it all in. You look at the Madoka BDs and you get only four episodes with only textless credits and a music video for $40. The DBZ Kai sets literally only has the textless credits as their only extras. Viz could have easily done the same thing with Sailor Moon, so while in an ideal world, it would be nice to have more, I appreciate they are at least trying to make some original extra content for fans more than what you get in a typical anime release. I'm presently am not able to afford the BDs so I've been buying the extraless DVDs anyway. But as someone who is unable to go to the big name anime cons, I personally appreciate they include the con footage for us fans might want to see the interviews but are unable to attend as they usually are not available on any official streaming service for non-con goers. So for us non-con goers, I enjoy getting to see the dub cast interact with the fans.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:26 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Salem Saberhagen wrote:
Because this is the wrong thread for that news. It was mentioned in this one.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:59 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I think part of the problem with releasing the old dub too is that fans wouldn't know which version of the sets to buy, especially casual viewers. I've read a lot of Facebook comments from folks who wanted the original dub, and they say things like "OMG they changed the scouts' names!" Etc. so obviously they aren't familiar with the franchise. And as a casual fan of DBZ, I can't make heads or tails of all the different releases Funimation has made.

What I would hope for is for the cut dubs to be included as extra discs in a re-release Blu-Ray of the 90's series (hopefully with Toei's remaster).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:18 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
John wrote:
Yes I feel those are lousy extras. Anything that comes from a convention does not belong on a disc as an extra. Like Blondibear above me writes, the in-house interviews are often short and feel insignificant. No, I was not expecting the Japanese extras. Clean OP/EDs are very standard and so are art galleries -- I was mostly referring to all of the nonsense that was filmed at conventions.

I both agree and disagree with the convention extras. On one side, I think they're a bit cheap because most con footage seems fairly accessible through social media (whether it be Youtube, Tumblr, or Twitter). But on the flipside, it could be some cool archival footage. We might appreciate these little things in the future. Right now, they don't really interest me.

Ultimately, the issue with extras most likely falls into Toei's hands. I'm sure Viz would like to include more interesting or creative extras, but gets turned down by Toei. Discotek wanted to do liner notes for one of their releases (Can't remember off hand, maybe Fist of the North Star?) but Toei wouldn't give them clearance. Don't forget the Japanese releases for Sailor Moon don't have amazing extras. Even the new BD release has recycled artwork, a lackluster booklet, and SD clean intro/outro.

The fact they're including an interview with Toru Furuya for the SuperS release is promising, though I wish they would've done something like this sooner. The extras have been way too dub-oriented, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Sabrblade wrote:
Salem Saberhagen wrote:
Because this is the wrong thread for that news. It was mentioned in this one.

That's what made it so surprising to find out in this one.

...I'll stop posting here now. ^_^'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:29 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Neon Genesis wrote:
I think some Moonies have unrealistic expectations of what kind of extras to expect from an anime release. Unless it's a big name movie or something, most anime only gives you like the textless credits and an art gallery, and maybe some fancy art cards and box to hold it all in. You look at the Madoka BDs and you get only four episodes with only textless credits and a music video for $40. The DBZ Kai sets literally only has the textless credits as their only extras.

With Kai, 2 of the sets include voice actor interviews and the 3 Majin Buu arc sets include video commentaries for each. It was after the first half of Kai where FUNi started adding more for DBZ since the 16:9 Blu-ray sets include a mix of old and new extras in each set and the recent movies have their own stuff as well including, for example, footage & interviews from the Resurrection F LA premiere event which featured some of the English cast, Masako Nozawa (Japanese Goku) & some of the Japanese staff.

As for Madoka, I'm not a fan of how Aniplex has handled that because they have cast interviews on their YouTube channel which should have been included on the discs. Some of the interviews on there are very informative and it would be better to own them physically in case something was to happen to the company and they end up closing the channel like Bandai did when they closed up. The domestic movie releases were handled a bit better though, there are some Japanese extras that are missing but for Rebellion, they managed to include the Madoka x Monogatari collaboration shorts which weren't in the import releases.

Umino wrote:
Ultimately, the issue with extras most likely falls into Toei's hands. I'm sure Viz would like to include more interesting or creative extras, but gets turned down by Toei. Discotek wanted to do liner notes for one of their releases (Can't remember off hand, maybe Fist of the North Star?) but Toei wouldn't give them clearance.

I'm not sure about linear notes (though that would make sense because of the fighting styles & techniques in that series) but I recall Selby posting in the now dead AnimeOnDVD/Mania forums that they tried to get the JP-exclusive alternate ending for the Fist of the North Star movie and Toei would not let them have it.

Last edited by NJ_ on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:42 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
NJ_ wrote:
I'm not sure about linear notes (though that would make sense because of the fighting styles & techniques in that series) but I recall Selby posting in the now dead AnimeOnDVD/Mania forums that they tried to get the JP-exclusive alternate ending for the Fist of the North Star movie and Toei would not let them have it.

I expressed interest in doing liner notes for Devilman, which is where I remember him talking about it. I ended up using some for the Go Nagai CB World release.

One extra I wish Viz would include would be the karaoke opening and endings that Pioneer had. More likely than not they have access to the materials.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:45 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
This gets asked a lot- it won't happen. If it's true and Toei took back all the materials that DiC made ... I doubt they kept it. They prob trashed it.

If the first English dub is something fans really want I would just recommend making your own dvds with whatever episodes are collectively out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:42 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
As the crackdown on anime torrent sites from a few months ago shows, unofficial copies of Sailor Moon aren't permanent and can vanish in a flash. And fans should be able to to support an official release of the DiC dub in any case.