* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mojo's Top 10 Sailor Moon Characters
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:18 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
How do you feel about Mojo's recent video on their picks for top ten Sailor Moon characters? I'm disappointed Sailor Saturn only gets an honorable mention and that Neptune and Uranus were placed so low on the list. It also seemed like the only thing they could come up with to say they liked about Haruka was ,"Well she's a lesbian." Like you don't like that she's into racing or her cool personalty or anything else? I also wish they had included more side characters and villains. I like Galaxia but there are tons more villains I would have picked over her like Beryl or Professor Tomoe. I like Luna and Artemis but I would have picked Naru and Umino over them. And I enjoy Chibi Moon more than most fans, but I don't understand how she got to number 5 but poor Neptune is at the bottom. This is just a minor nitpick but it was also kind of off putting the way they kept switching back and forth between the DiC dub, the Japanese version, and Crystal.

Post subject: Re: Mojo's Top 10 Sailor Moon Characters
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:20 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
i thought number 1 was too obvious and i not being a fan of Haruka and Michiru would've left them off in favor of Saturn and Naru id also have put Chiba higher too but thats just me XD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:25 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I pretty much expected they would go with the safe pick of Usagi for number one. I wish they went with a more gutsy pick like Venus or Jupiter for number one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Inaccurate. :sick: :dead: :sick:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:17 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Enjoy Yourself
much as I lurve Usako she really doesn't have to be no1

Naru deserves a spot, Umino too as does Miss Haruna and even some of the villains, ones like Nehelenia come to mind [besides in honorable mentions]

not all spots have to be senshi

mojo mojo mojo ya lost your mojo with this list

chiba really? he should be an honorable mention at most and chibiusa too
Hotaru should be in chiba's place poor girl always gets the short straw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:40 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
i came up with my own top ten list but these are for who I think should be the best characters and not really my favorites (Mars is actually my favorite but I don't have her as number one). My list I came up with for the best is

1. :usagi:
2. :haruka:
3. :minako:
4. :hotaru:
5. :tuxspeedomask: (non-90s anime versions)
6. :mihiru:
7. Queen Beryl
8. Naru
9. :ami:
10. :rei:(non-90s anime versions).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:48 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
heres my list and im ranking these as both my favorites and who i personally think are the best characters

10. Nephrite/Nephlite

9. Naru Osaka

8. Sailor Saturn/Hotaru Tomoe

7. Sailor Venus/Minako Aino

6. Sailor Jupiter/Makoto Kino

5. The Cats (Luna, Artemis and Diana)

4. Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask

3. Sailor Moon/Usagi Tsukino

2. Ryo Urawa

1. Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:30 am 
Luna
Luna
I thought this was ridiculously stupid, as noone outside of the central cast was a candidate, nor the villains. It felt very blasé to rank just the Senshi (and tux). And why on Earth would they use footage from the old dub? That had to be hard to acquire. Total thumbs down, they need to try again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:31 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
They show clips from the DiC and CWi dubs...but label them Viz. They show clips from Stars that are obviously from a fansub....even though Viz has released their official Stars sub online... They mispronounce "Makoto"... They flip-flop between "Senshi" and "Scout" (and none for "Guardian!" :lol: ) Another lame list video from Mojo that's been poorly edited together.

Still.... I lowkey love that they only used DiC/CWi dub footage and paid the re-dub dust! :evillaugh:

Last edited by MementoNepenthe on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:37 am 
Luna
Luna
The results for these video lists are determined by fan votes or something like that. They don't even go into detail as to why one character places above another. The only thing Watch Mojo really does is make lists like this and they can't even begin to compare to well-researched, well-produced lists made by actual fans.

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:51 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
They should have called it top ten Sailor Scouts but it was misleading to use characters and not have any side characters but Luna and Artemis. There are so many great side characters like Motoki and Ms. Haruna and Shingo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:05 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: In a relationship
MementoNepenthe wrote:
They show clips from the DiC and CWi dubs...but label them Viz. They show clips from Stars that are obviously from a fansub....even though Viz has released their official Stars sub online... They mispronounce "Makoto"... They flip-flop between "Senshi" and "Scout" (and none for "Guardian!" :lol: ) Another lame list video from Mojo that's been poorly edited together.

Still.... I lowkey love that they only used DiC/CWi dub footage and paid the re-dub dust! :evillaugh:

Well, Viz does own the rights now. Anything from DiC and CWi is owned by them now.

Back on track: Not a surprise. A lot of people say how WatchMojo doesn't do research, especially when it comes to comic books.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:50 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^Correct. They're not going to credit DiC/Cloverway for their dubbed footage because Viz owns the rights.

But I agree with Memento the fact they used the old dub footage is delicious

Anywho how the eff are they going to put Jupiter below Tuxedo and the pink spore? Really? Effin really?

My own list

10. Luna
9. Zoycite
8. Mrs.Tsukino
7. Dr. Tomoe
6. Hotaru
5. Venus
4. Mercury
3. Jupiter
2. Mars
1.Moon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:17 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
Oh I just love it when they do these top 10 lists in wich the characters are ranked with no explanation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:09 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
10-fisheyes and tigereyes
9-setsuna
8-pallapalla
7-nehelenia
6-kunzite
5-petz
4-helios
3-seiya
2-chibiusa
1-hotaru

:love: :innocent:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:22 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Um, all list rankings are based on a 2-sentence describing the character and nothing else! I don't see the problem???

Nah but really like it's definitely for the nostalgia crowd that's like "Ooh I watched Sailor Moon once on Toonami this is my childhood xD #NinetiesKid." I mean yeah, the senshi absolutely are the most developed characters so it makes sense for the list to be made up of them but...Chibiusa over all of the Outers and Jupiter.... :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:19 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I don't mind they used clips of the old dub. It was just off putting how they kept switching back and forth and literally use dub and Japanese terms in the same sentence. They should have just stuck with one version. It was also kind of weird they highlighted Haruka and Michiru's relationship with dub clips given the dub made them cousins.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:22 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Caramella wrote:
9-setsuna
8-pallapalla
7-nehelenia
6-kunzite
5-petz
4-helios
3-seiya
2-chibiusa
1-hotaru

nice list im shocked Chibi Chibi didn't make your list XD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:22 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Ryo Urawa wrote:
Caramella wrote:
9-setsuna
8-pallapalla
7-nehelenia
6-kunzite
5-petz
4-helios
3-seiya
2-chibiusa
1plus-chibichibi ^_^'
1-hotaru

nice list im shocked Chibi Chibi didn't make your list XD

omg how did i forget that
i think i love her between chibiusa and hotaru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:55 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Well I mean it's a subjective list, so it's based entirely on personal preference. It's not as if they ranked the characters by power.

I would say mine own list would be...

1.) Sailor Moon/Sailor Cosmos/Neo Queen Serenity
2.) Sailor Venus/Sailor V
3.) Sailor Galaxia
4.) Queen Nehelenia
5.) Sailor Saturn
6.) Mistress 9
7.) Sailor Pluto
8.) Tuxedo Mask/Endymion
9.) Sailor Mini Moon/Black Lady
10.) Sailor Chi and Sailor Phi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:39 am 
☽ Crescent Moonie
Watchmojo... Not even going to watch it now, maybe later, but it's funny how the subjective list was mostly responded with other subjective lists without explanation.

Really? is that all? Why do you lower yourselves to their level? Look, here's a different way to toplist them characters:

#10: Haruka. I don't like her. I don't like how she's been used, I don't like how she's been Makoto+ in many respects, and how S made Outers >> Inners. Despite my isgivings though, she is conceptually solid. Not just solid but a definite improvement over the core cast in both fighting style and personality. More positive and negative traits, more and interesting situations and reactions, more varied approaches to fighting evil. Of course, she's handled poorly, as expected from the writing talent involved, but that's hardly her fault.
#9: Mars/Rei. She's the core character with probably the most developed background and life. Her combination of spiritual and fire magic is also a very potent combination and a boon when used creatively. Her dutiful personality and struggling life also gives great contrast to Usagi, who is a bit better off to say the least.
#8: Moon/Usagi. Yesh, main character, and engine of fun, heroism and emotion. At least for the first two seasons.
#7: Zoisite or however the copulation he is spelled. Sometimes you need a villain that you love to hate. He is that villain. Also Kristen Bishop had a great laugh with "her", something I'll never forget.
#6. Jupiter/Makoto. While she is a less refined version of Haruka, much of those "improvements" and refinements didn't quite work out. Jupiter's background is solid, her sense of justice and her use of physical might that could punish bullies but inadvertedly instilled a kind of fear that made her the odd one out without friends, an appreciable poetic irony. What's more, is that maybe she could have gotten all that screentime that Haruka did, had the writers involved decided to develop her further instead of making a new one.
#5: Jadeite. Whereas Zoisite was just someone I wanted to die. Jadeite... he was awesome. His designs to tap into our human faults: vanity, crowd mentality, following trends, and all the overhyped crap people do to this day, was deliciously meta. On top of that he kept close to our heroes with his magnificent disguises, and that produced many, many memorable scenes, and honestly I'm sad that he had to fail. I don't think there was any other villain that could have hooked me into the series like he did.
#4: Except for maybe Nephrite. If Jadeite was the campy, early 90s fun villain, Nephrite was the serious version. He upped the game, kept the sailors on their toes, and his turn from evil to good painted on the wall some very cool possibilities, as well as some very interestig questions about the nature of the generals, how much of them was evil by choice, and how much of them was evil because that was all they knew?
#3 Ali/En . I think the pic where they are lookimg at Makoto's food with a puzzled look trying to figure out what it is, plus, that they really just tried to survive, and happened to think they need to steal the energy for that, was a delicious twist on the anime's otherwise bland formula. I enjoyed rooting for them, and seeing their problems resolved was nothing if not the most satisfying sailor moon ending I experienced.
#2 Alexander (Yusuke) Amade. Yes, the minor character is, on my list, above both sailors and other dark entities, simply because his personal episode has so much of him crammed to it. A musician at a bar, and with an album, with a love for his producer, but filled with anxiety. Yet he overcame it with a very special helper, and was spurred into the most inspiring and heroic moment of the entire series: He tackled the bat monstergirl to save his love. Yep, a normal human without artistic protection (plot armor) against a monster he couldn't even comprehend. Yep. No matter how badass the rest of the cast was, this special kind of heroism was always and will forever be beyond them.
#1 Greg/Ryo Urawa. Hero of the imperium. If there ever was an episode that handled the question of past and present lives really well, and set up a good conflict, it was his. While Joe (understandably) ran away from his past, and tried to live a good life with his tiny magic trick, Greg was forced to remember, forced to know, and forced to see. He was not the one who has been asked "what can change the nature of a man?", but "what IS the nature of a man?". That is a planescape torment tier conflict crammed into 20 minutes. He was both a monster, a dark entity from the highest echelon directly below Queen Metallica, and a normal guy who just happened to have a special kind of foresight, and wanted to do something good with it, and he did his darnedest to fight that evil side. Watching Zoisite flood him with dark energy until he lost all his personality, and was reduced to repeating his name over and over was tragic. Later on seeing him manipulate the flow of fate to position everyone to the right place at the right time was just magnificent. And this was from a weak boy no less!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:30 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
I didn't realize expressing subjective opinions about other subjective opinions was against forum rules but I'll take a note for next time I post a thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:44 am 
☽ Crescent Moonie
No it's not against any rules. It's just... kinda watchmojo-tier.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:50 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
That was kind of my point though to nitpick a typical Mojo video that was about Sailor Moon because I was bored and I thought this was a more varied topic than just the umpteenth voice actor poll or fans complaining about what aspect of the show they hate the most again but I tried.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:55 am 
☽ Crescent Moonie
well, why not put that extra effort into it? I mean there is not much else to put your thought into.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:00 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
All I can say is... Those feels listening to the old DiC dub. Ahh I will still forever love that dub, even if it was silly and corny.

Anyway I wish Jupiter was number 1. She was always my favourite. :love:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:45 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membership
^this.
Jupiter is my n°1, but I'm biased.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:11 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
:mako:'s quite popular among the male videogaming community. It's either her or :rei:.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:04 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membership
For me Rei is joint 2nd with Minako.
Not sure I could actually put together a full top ten, as I haven't seen anything beyond R.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:58 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
I have not seen this video, so I can't form a concrete opinion. :grey: :grey: