* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sailor Moon DVD
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:24 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Ok, guys, I need your help. When I was growing up my best friend had a massive collection of Sailor Moon VCR tapes she had inherited from her mother. She wasn't that interested in the show but after her mom played one episode at a slumber party I was hooked and I ended up watching every episode/movie they had...long story short is I can't remember who dubbed it and every time I buy a DVD it's not the same one from my childhood do any of you know where I can find the right DVD/DVDs I'm pretty sure it would be an American version of the show. Thank you so much :love:

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon DVD
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
what your looking for would probably be either the dic or cloverway dub my guess is check ebay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:45 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The version you saw would have been the old English version that was originally dubbed by either DiC back in the 90s or by Cloverway back in the early 2000s. The version dubbed by DiC spanned the first two seasons of the show, while the Cloverway version spanned the third and fourth seasons (the final, fifth season of the show was never dubbed back then).

The reason the DVDs you find today have a version that sounds different from the one you remember is because Viz Media acquired the rights to Sailor Moon a few years ago and has set out to re-dub the entire series with a brand new English script and voice cast, which aim to be much closer to the original Japanese version since the original English version done by DiC and Cloverway was heavily edited and and very unfaithful to the Japanese version. It is these DVDs that are currently out on the market.

Also, there is another, all new Sailor Moon show out on the market called Sailor Moon Crystal, whose English version is also done by Viz Media with the same voice cast as their re-dub of the 90's show. Sailor Moon Crystal is a new show that tells the story in a way that is much closer to the original manga (Japanese comics), and uses brand new modern day animation and music. There are DVDs for this show out on the market as well.

As for DVDs for the original English dub done by DiC and Cloverway, there were some released way back in the mid-2000s, but have long since gone out of print and are no longer available on the mainstream market. Your best bet for acquiring these old DVDs would be to turn to online venues of the secondary market, like eBay or Amazon. The DVDs for the first two seasons dubbed by DiC were released by a company called ADV, and had the episodes split across 14 individual DVD volumes. The DVDs for the third and fourth seasons dubbed by Cloverway were released by a company called Pioneer (later named Geneon), and had the episodes split across six volumes per season (twelve volumes total), which were later compiled into two boxed set contain each of the six volumes.

The three movies were also originally dubbed by Pioneer itself, using the same voice cast as the DiC version (with some carryovers from the Cloverway version). They two were released individually by Pioneer, and later collected together into one boxed set.

However, as all of these ADV and Pioneer/Geneon DVDs are so old and long since out of print, they are not cheap and fetch a pretty penny on the secondary market. Not to mention that there are a ton of bootleg (unofficial knockoff) DVDs of a vastly inferior quality that are out there circulating the secondary market. So if you want to own the official ones, you'll have to pay some pretty hefty prices and beware of bootlegs.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:04 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Your best bet to watch the original dub is to try and find it for download and burn your own discs since as mentioned above, used copies of the official DiC dub DVDs are really expensive, if downloading OOP anime is something you don't mind doing. I would still say to give the new dub a chance. It is more faithful to the Japansese version than the DiC dub, and while very different performances, the new English voices are just as talented as the old cast.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:19 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
^ My thoughts exactly. Alternatively, if the OP still wants physical copies of the old dub but doesn't have enough for the DVDs, then VHS is always an option. Ebay has cheap copies of the first 3 ADV Season 1 releases. Combined, they contain the first 12 episodes.

Why look for the key in another, the answer lays in his own heart, won't find yourself in some other, it always was there right at the start - Howard Jones

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:24 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
VHS is definitely the way to go with the old dub. I own the first half of S with Cloverway's dub. 18 episodes, and only about $15 on ebay.

You could get lucky with DVD though. I own the last two Pioneer DVDs for SuperS. Found them for $6 used each at MovieStop.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
If you are just in it to watch the show I say torrent it online or purchase some bootlegs from ebay. Collecting the whole show would cost you a couple hundred bucks and thats used. I think most volumes will cost like 30 to 40 bucks with one or two dvds being more rare and expensive and the first two seasons have about 14 volumes not including the 3rd and 4th seasons. There are boxset for seasons 3 and 4 though but they cost over a hundred dollars each. It may be cheaper to collect the signature series individually. Its a real hassle trying to get the full collection.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:30 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
And this is why there needs to be a re-release of the original dub.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:13 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
Neon Genesis wrote:

I'm surprised Viz hasn't re-released DiC/Cloverway already, they own the rights to it, and if they wait until they finish dubbing Sailor Stars to release it, the nostalgic value of something butchered will have passed.

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:39 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
redblade7 wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

I'm surprised Viz hasn't re-released DiC/Cloverway already, they own the rights to it, and if they wait until they finish dubbing Sailor Stars to release it, the nostalgic value of something butchered will have passed.
Every time they get asked about releasing the old dub, Viz keeps pretty much saying "We can't."

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:00 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
redblade7 wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

I disagree, when FUNi released the DBZ Rock The Dragon Limited Edition in mid-2013, their in-house dub had been available for over a decade at that point (or almost a decade if you want to only count the episodes & movies that first dub originally covered) plus they had finished re-releasing all of DBZ Kai's first half earlier that year so this set was competing against two other available DBZ dubs at the time and yet people still bought it which led to it going out of print in 2015.

I'm sure the nostalgia for the old Sailor Moon dub would still be there but with that said and ignoring the issues Viz may have with releasing it, it is too early to be releasing that dub at the same time that the new dub is still coming out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:23 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Not withstanding who owns the rights to what and any contractural issues that might exist with the dub materials where people are owed money if the material is used.

One big thing that I've not seen discussed - will Toei allow it ?. As per the Sailor Moon Mexico DVD thread Toei has to check EVERYTHING. Things don't get released without their say so - does Toei even actually want to see the old dub released ?.

It maybe a shock for some but the Japanese licensors can be VERY anal about how their property is represented overseas - even to the extent of approving box art.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:32 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
Sabrblade wrote:
redblade7 wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:

Every time they get asked about releasing the old dub, Viz keeps pretty much saying "We can't."

But if they don't own the DiC/Cloverway material, how do they get away with geoblocking it on YouTube?

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:01 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
You can find the show with a new and better dub, along with the original subtitled on blu ray and DVD. The old censored adaptation dub is no longer being sold and probably never will again. Support the current release!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:37 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
redblade7 wrote:
But if they don't own the DiC/Cloverway material, how do they get away with geoblocking it on YouTube?
Most likely because Toei controls the whole property and have probably been asking Viz to take it down for them. Does anyone know if Funimation has been doing the same with YouTube clips of the 4Kids One Piece dub?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:49 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I'm actually doing ok(ish) at finding dvd's of the DiC dub, but maybe the market for it is a little different here in the UK.
I just need to get the last 3 volumes before I decide if I'm going to bother with the S and Super S dubs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:31 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
redblade7 wrote:

Viz and Toei have the North American license to the property and the footage, which is the same no matter what the audio is.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:33 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I think someone may have grossly overestimated the worth of this 6 episode dvd at £1310.93:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sailor-Moon-E ... SwIcdZcroq

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:02 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
If you have a computer that can play universal dvds or a DVD player that can do so,
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/SAILOR-MOON-Vo ... Ciid%253A1

Sorry for the long link but there's that and I'm sure of you search Australian eBay you will be able to find the second season 2 :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
^ Hmm, that's a good price. I might as well buy the first 2 seasons since I don't want to use my VHS player every time I feel like watching the old dub. S and SuperS are also available from this seller.

Why look for the key in another, the answer lays in his own heart, won't find yourself in some other, it always was there right at the start - Howard Jones