* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Old Sailor Moon Commercial
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:48 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
My boyfriend's sister found this video on YouTube, she knows I am a fan of Sailor Moon so she send me the link. It is an old italian commercial about the Sailor Moon Speaking doll (my cousin had it and I almost stole it from her lol). Do you have other commercials about Sailor Moon toys?

Post subject: Re: Old Sailor Moon Commercial
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:18 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
this is the one I grew up with
and I have the Venus of the Irwin Adventure Dolls toy line P-:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:30 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Prince Rose wrote:

I like Sailor Moon's doll, especially how her hair. What is "Negaverse" by the way?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:37 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
What is "Negaverse" by the way?

From its WikiMoon article:

Quote:
The Negaverse was the term used in DiC's dub of the anime for the Dark Kingdom. The term was used to describe not only the origin of the villains of the first season, but the villains of the Makaiju arc as well.

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:08 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
the Dic English dub is notorious for the changes and cuts made to sm

the Negaverse is one of them

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:35 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So watching the video Prince Rose posted led me to this one:

"She is the one CALLED Sailor Moon" :eeklez: :eeklez: :eeklez:

Why would they not just use the actual theme song for the show? Why get some new singer to record that line, with a slightly different lyric, for this commercial? Does this mean there are alternate versions of the theme song out there somewhere? I'm going to think about this obsessively now... :googly:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:10 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jbosJwdDfI

I remember seeing this commercial before I watched the show and because this commercial used the clip of Morga being destroyed for Queen Beryl I at first thought seeing pics of Morga that they were the same person and Morga was Beryl's monster form. Of course when I saw the show that was proven to be nonsense. All though coincidentally in the Swedish dub they called Queen Beryl, Queen Morga and they called Morga, Founa.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:52 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I wish Sailor Moon had really gotten a moon cycle in like PGSM or something.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
MariaTenebre wrote:

I remember seeing this commercial before I watched the show and because this commercial used the clip of Morga being destroyed for Queen Beryl I at first thought seeing pics of Morga that they were the same person and Morga was Beryl's monster form. Of course when I saw the show that was proven to be nonsense. All though coincidentally in the Swedish dub they called Queen Beryl, Queen Morga and they called Morga, Founa.

Why are they all wearing long boots? :?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:16 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Prince Rose wrote:

I remember having a laughing fit every time I see Sailor Mercury's afro.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:08 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Neon Genesis wrote:
I wish Sailor Moon had really gotten a moon cycle in like PGSM or something.

That'd turn PGSM into PRSM (Pretty Rider Sailor Moon). :lol: But yeah, it'd be uber cool, by adding a Kamen Rider feel into the show. :cool:

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:04 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Watching all these commercials make me wonder...did they ever release dolls of the Outers? And what about the Starlights? I read Naoko changed their hair because Bandai told her that dolls with short hair are difficult to make.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:01 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
Watching all these commercials make me wonder...did they ever release dolls of the Outers? And what about the Starlights? I read Naoko changed their hair because Bandai told her that dolls with short hair are difficult to make.

Irwin [the dolls from the ad I posted] did make Uranus and Neptune if I recall I don't think they made an ad for it if they did I forgot

Attachments:
irwin.jpg
irwin.jpg [ 300.33 KiB | Viewed 1855 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:49 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
I cannot find a source for this, but didn't Naoko said that these dolls had ugly faces?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:50 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The breakaway promotion department of Irwin Toy, now represented by the sole remaining employee, keeps producing ads for Sailor Moon Adventure dolls to this day. Every single day. ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:52 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Prince Rose wrote:
SignorinaTsukino wrote:

Irwin [the dolls from the ad I posted] did make Uranus and Neptune if I recall I don't think they made an ad for it if they did I forgot

I did a little research on Google and I found out that some dolls of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto were released in Italy, but Bandai Europe made them not Giochi Preziosi (the Toy Company that created the dolls of the Inners and Chibiusa). Dolls of Saturn and the Starlights were never released though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Maraviollantes wrote:

The breakaway promotion department of Irwin Toy, now represented by the sole remaining employee, keeps producing ads for Sailor Moon Adventure dolls to this day. Every single day. ^_^

As of writing, the clip has only had 37 views (including the one I did) since a year ago, & his robotic style of speaking doesn't help either (I've only watched less than half of it). lol

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:56 am 
Stella
Stella
Clow wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Yup the early dolls all had boots. I heard it was for some stupid puritanical reason like the US doll makers thinking that Sailor Mars's red pumps made her look like a prostitute or something ignorant like that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:02 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Here's a whole bunch of the Japanese commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urkKklyuCvY&t=264s

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:09 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
...his robotic style of speaking doesn't help either (I've only watched less than half of it). lol

Give the guy some slack. After a decade of recording Sailor Moon doll videos every day, with a new scenario every time, even the most versatile tongues would lose some of their eloquence.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:24 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
MariaTenebre wrote:
Clow wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

Yup the early dolls all had boots. I heard it was for some stupid puritanical reason like the US doll makers thinking that Sailor Mars's red pumps made her look like a prostitute or something ignorant like that.

Yeah, no. That sounds like some BS rumor someone started. The most likely reason is monetary: it's cheaper to use one body cast for all the dolls and simply paint them differently than it is to make and use five different body casts. Once they saw the dolls were selling well, Bandai put more money into them and made new body casts for the dolls. If they had some sort of prudish objection to Mars's heels, that wouldn't explain Jupiter and Venus having boots too, nor their sudden change to allowing Mars to have her heels.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:27 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I remember that one sailor moon site (sailormoonuniverse or something like that) said that in NA high boots are for the prostitutes..so Bandai had to change the boots of the 3 Inner Senshi!! =^_^=

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Clow wrote:
I cannot find a source for this, but didn't Naoko said that these dolls had ugly faces?

In one of the original manga releases, she wrote about her visit to NYC. She said she went to a big toy store (presumably FAO Schwartz) and saw a big Sailor Moon stand. She commented how ugly they were, but loved the Queen Beryl doll.

She also talked about watching the dub, and saying Serena's voice was too low.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:47 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
MariaTenebre wrote:
Clow wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:

I doubt that's true, hookers wear boots and Barbie dolls always had heels.

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Umino wrote:
Clow wrote:

In one of the original manga releases, she wrote about her visit to NYC. She said she went to a big toy store (presumably FAO Schwartz) and saw a big Sailor Moon stand. She commented how ugly they were, but loved the Queen Beryl doll.

I wonder if she ever watched other foreigner dubs and what she thinks of them..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:06 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Umino wrote:
Clow wrote:

I grew up with the Brazilian Portuguese dub and Serena has a very soft and cute voice. I did not know anything about the original version of Sailor Moon at the time. I only knew Serena and by the age of 13 I had fallen in love with the character.

When I watched the original Japanese version of Sailor Moon, I was shocked with how different the character felt. Not only she had a different name, Usagi, but she also spoke very loudly and obnoxiously.

I think Naoko must have felt the same way that I did while watching the foreign dubs.