* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sailor Moon R Movie [old dub ] - anime abandoned review
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:10 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
watch and discuss

well if anything you can get an outsider's perspective

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon R Movie [old dub ] - anime abandoned review
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:25 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Gave up after 1:42 minutes. :P

He admitted he doesn't like this genre. P-:

Edit:

Spoiler: show
Decided to watch the last 2 or 3 minutes and the blogger did gave an objective final review for the franchise. I'm surprised he's comparing it to DBZ.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:49 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Between this and the Nostalgia Critic review, I don't know why YouTube reviewers keep insisting upon reviewing the original localized dub as their introduction to Sailor Moon and then act shocked when they realize it isn't art. Even most fans who still like the original dub will admit it had a lot of problems. But when the original Japanese version is easily available (even the copy Anime Abandon has includes the Japanese version), I see no reason why YouTube reviewers should keep reviewing a dub most fans already admit has issues. Bashing the original dub when you can just go to Walmart and buy the uncut version for like $15 just feels like beating a dead horse to me at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:28 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I was actually trying to watch this a few days ago but I didn't get very far into it because I was getting nothing out of it. I don't know this guy or his channel but the review is too long and he really doesn't seem to know what hes talking about at all and doesn't bring anything interesting to the table. Even the Nostalgia Critic I felt made his review funny and I enjoyed his perspective as someone who doesn't know the show that well because he made it interesting and he made it very clear how little he knows about the show whereas this guy seems to be very confidently mixing up the sub the dub and god knows what else. He isn't very funny and I don't know who this guys audience is because he is giving waaay too much background info on the show like its obscure or something. Chris Stuckman for example I think gave a better very thoughtful review of the new dub movie a couple months ago that was in my opinion way better than this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:07 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
Neon Genesis wrote:
Between this and the Nostalgia Critic review

I wouldn't consider the Nostalgia Critic video a "review" - except for the part showing him as a grungy 90s teenager watching the show, it was largely alternating between him ranting about the ages and age differences of the characters and random photos of barely legal Japanese girls.

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:52 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Judging from the comments here, I guess I don't need to watch this review.

I was only mildly curious about it, thinking that he'd be looking at the new dub version or even the original Japanese version, but since he's just harping on the watered down old English dub version (and without making the review funny or entertaining, based on the reactions here) then there's really no need for me to indulge watching Sage's review.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
Between this and the Nostalgia Critic review, I don't know why YouTube reviewers keep insisting upon reviewing the original localized dub as their introduction to Sailor Moon and then act shocked when they realize it isn't art. Even most fans who still like the original dub will admit it had a lot of problems. But when the original Japanese version is easily available (even the copy Anime Abandon has includes the Japanese version), I see no reason why YouTube reviewers should keep reviewing a dub most fans already admit has issues. Bashing the original dub when you can just go to Walmart and buy the uncut version for like $15 just feels like beating a dead horse to me at this point.

And I don’t know why fans of the Japanese version seem to think “If only non-fans had seen the REAL version then they’d love it” even though most non-fans issues with Sailor Moon apply to the original anime as well. You can’t blame the dub when the criticism is stuff like over reliance on stock footage and formulaic plots and in Sage’s case being aversed to “cute”

Well, I watched the whole review even though I’m not much of a Sage fan

If you’re against cute and the school girl genre why watch this at all? That’s like me reviewing Grease or Rent even though I don’t care for musical theatre.

Sigh another weeboo who wants to inform viewers “The original Japanese version wasn’t for kids but DiC made it into one” It was a kids show in Japan too you otaku losers.

He said he’s going with the dub because that was the version Toonami viewers saw and yet his review uses the uncut english dub with the Japanese score where Toonami aired the edited dub with the DiC score. Hmmmm

I know he said he wasn’t a fan but he knew enough of the show to know that Fiore resembles Alan and there’s a lot of similarities with the doom tree arc so why is he quipping that the Sailor teleport is a new power they now suddenly have when they used it in the final episode of the first story arc?

It’s not as bad as Doug’s review where Doug dismissed Sailor Moon as slutty (even though the outfits are no worse than a ballerina or gymnast or a cheerleaders uniform) and the transformation as sexualized fanservice (they’re not) and making a bi erasure joke as well as a cultural stereotype joke(s).

But it was still a poor review