S 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
SuperS 43%  43%  [ 28 ]
Stars 28%  28%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 64
 Post subject: Re: 90's Seasons you don't have motivation to rewatch
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:38 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Location: Quote unquote, "A sinister looking castle known as the dark kingdom"
Other: Dork Kingdom Heir
Speaking as someone who's watched Season 1 multiple times (at least twice for every episode, more for certain ones) and the Makaiju arc twice, and everything else once so far, I think I would be willing to rewatch all of it! In fact, I've been steadily working on that. I also frequently boot up episodes to check details when working on fanfiction.

However, the part I wold be the least enthusiastic about rewatching would be certain episodes of the Amazon Trio arc (like that 'Drive to Heaven' episode). Their arc had a great ending and a few other great moments, but it definitely dragged in places due to a lack of character growth and a lot of emphasis on random, uninteresting one-off characters, contrasted with the much more continuous story and character growth seen in the rest of the show.

Also, their victim selection scenes and the "1-2-3" table scenes just get redundant and awkward, and I say this as someone who's into some preeeetty kinky stuff, but not like, the social archetype that was evoking. Also I get really tired of looking at Twinkle Yell-Moon Gorgeous Meditation-Stage Out, I swear that's the longest and dullest attack in the show.

But even that arc has stuff like the episode where Diana is introduced, or that one where Minako tries to date Hawk's Eye and Tiger's Eye at the same time, or even little moments in less-great episodes like Naru tormenting Umino with a seventeenth milkshake. And then they go out with a cool twist, then get on to the much better-paced Amazoness Quartet arc, so it's all good. I really do like every season quite a bit.

If I had to go picking most to least favorite, though... Season 1 > R / S > Stars > SuperS? It's a tough call.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:36 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Classic.

That's crazy because there are some episodes in Classic that I adore (the haunted beach episode, ice skating, skiing contest) but overall, I'm really not into Classic at all. My reasons, in no particular order:

-Moon Tiara Action and Moon Healing Escalation are Usagi's least interesting attacks/techniques.
-The artwork and animation is a bit rough compared to S and SuperS. Even R improves a little bit.
-I'm not a big Dark Kingdom fan.
-No Outers whatsoever (yeah, they're missing in SuperS too -- but I love the Dead Moon villains so that saves SuperS for me).
-The second ending theme is the show's worst one. The first one is okay but I really prefer Tuxedo Mirage, the SuperS ending themes, and the Stars ending theme over these. Not a big fan of Otome no Policy either, FWIW.
-I enjoy the story more when Mamoru isn't being a jerk to Usagi, so Classic (and most of R) is kind of meh IMO.
-I just prefer the Inners' later attacks over their initial ones.

I probably have other reasons that I can't think of right now, but overall, while there are certain Classic episodes that I love going back to, I don't foresee myself re-watching the entire season anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:33 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Location: Quote unquote, "A sinister looking castle known as the dark kingdom"
Other: Dork Kingdom Heir
That reminds me, I forgot to mention that Sailor Stars has particularly great music, possibly the best in the whole series. I love Moonlight Densetsu, but Sailor Star Song is even better, and the instrumental versions of it, or that little piano piece for sad scenes, or Todokanu Omoi (the song that plays when they transform on the airplane to fight Alluminum Siren)- so much fantastic music. But then again, the whole show had fantastic music.

I also don't dislike any of the villain groups, I think they're all cool characters. (Though I'm not as excited about Rubeus and the Phantom Sisters, but that's more like mild ambivalence than dislike.) Really, aside from my raging Dark Kingdom obsession, the reason for my ordering of seasons has to do with how much I like the pacing of each:

- Season 1 starts slow to ease you into the show, then builds up steam during the Nephrite arc (ending with the first true downer episode, and for me the most unforgettable), then gets more complex and heavy with the subsequent Zoisite arc, only slowing down again for a debatably-needed breather (the Kunzite/Endymion episodes) after one of the heaviest episodes (when they find the silver crystal) before launching into the big finale.

- Season 2 is two separate stories, the first of which fun well-paced little number, and the second is much more off-balance, suddenly getting much denser halfway through (basically once you get to Esmeraude). I like them both a lot though, the concepts and characters are very memorable. I think I like the Makaiju arc just slightly more though.... but I'll see if I feel that way after a rewatch of the Black Moon arc.

- Season 3 has a lot going on but manages to stall during the Kaolinite arc, then leave me wishing for more by the (epic) end. It's got so many great things, but I feel like the pacing was odd. Eudial and Mimete were great and I wouldn't cut a thing about them, but why do Tellu, Viluy, and Ptriol/Cyprine die nigh-instantly like manga villains? What was up with Kaolinite's spooky resurrection, which was never explained and didn't change anything aside from the perspective of her unrequited interest in the Professor? It felt like there was more to it that we never saw.

- Season 4 staaaaaaaaaalls on the Amazon Trio arc's episodic format, with great moments still sprinkled in, then abruptly ends that arc with an awesome bang. The Quartet arc works a lot more smoothly and is fun, and then the finale is awesome.

- Season 5's Nehellenia arc is like a movie or miniseries, and is nicely epic. Then Iron Mouse starts to stall while the Starlights slowly get developed... then everything turns break-neck, as we zip past Alluminum Siren and Lead Crow a little too fast into another suitably epic conclusion.

Basically, it's always those 'first' villains- Jadeite, Rubeus & the Phantom Sisters, Kaolinite, the Amazon Trio, and Iron Mouse- where the pacing slows down slightly too much, like the writers were stalling to get to the good parts (even for characters like the Starlights and Outer Senshi, who seem to get more character development after these introductory periods).

I still like all those characters (especially Iron Mouse and Jadeite), but it'd be nice if they had clearer personalities and more of their own development instead of falling into the trap of just being monster-of-the-week dispensers for the bulk of their screentime. Even then though, I don't find this show really has much in the way of 'bad' episodes.

Contrast, say, Star Trek The Next Generation, where I love certain things about it and regard the series fondly, but there's a ton of stinkers and majorly flawed logic, and relatively little continuity with so many wasted loose ends everywhere.

That said, speaking from a 100% personal bias, I think I'd like the last three seasons more if Naru and Umino didn't get phased out. At least it invites fanfiction about what we didn't see, and the vibe that Naru and Usagi maybe grew distant after their conversation near the end of R...