Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

If there was a new Sailor Moon anime, who would you rather have full creative control over it?
Poll ended at Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:23 am
Naoko Takeuchi 41%  41%  [ 15 ]
Kunihiko Ikuhara 58%  58%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: Re: Poll: Takeuchi or Ikuhara
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:23 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
Ikuhara winning by 7 votes!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:21 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Clow wrote:
Ikuhara winning by 7 votes!

Naoko is winning by two Porsches. :ninja:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:14 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
FloraKiraraHime wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I think a lot of PGSM's creative success had to do with the fact every episode was written by the same person, which allowed for maximum consistency and continuity. We'll never know how much input Naoko had personally on the story development side of PGSM, but in many ways, even where it deviates from the manga, it's still faithful to the manga's ideas, which, in turn, are Naoko's.

I love the R movie. It's one of my favorite parts of the 90s episodes. And I like a lot of the individual episodes Ikuhara directed. I appreciate his brand of humor and his use of symbolism in his work. But when I look at his concept for the SuperS movie, and when I look at the seasons he was the series director for (SuperS, S, and the latter half of R) and how they deviate from Naoko's work, I question his creativity and decision making.

At the same time, Naoko has admitted that she often gives up on things because she runs out of steam. With the Sailor Moon manga we can all see how its hectic release schedule resulted in uneven story-telling and poor character development. With those things in mind, would I trust her to helm a new anime series? No. But I wouldn't trust Ikuhara with one either. And if I had to choose between the two of them, I'd pick Naoko, because while she may get lazy or harried, I still overall trust her creative vision more than I trust Ikuhara's.

MementoNepenthe, were you referring to Yasuko Kobayachi?

I think so. :) BTW, it should be "Kobayashi."

[EDIT]
MariaTenebre wrote:
One of my personal favorite minor characters was Yoshiki Usui and his boyfriend. I really enjoyed their characters and their story. I even made in my fanfiction Yoshiki to be Hina Kusaka's best friend she grew up around who designs her clothes.

Wrong thread? lol

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Oops I am sorry Rika I meant to post about Yoshiki Usui in the favorite minor characters thread.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:51 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Poll will run for 2 more days (I think) and we will have a winner. :ninja:

And because the opinion of the users of this forum matter the most, we'll find out who should ultimately have complete creative control over a Sailor Moon anime. :ninja: :shocked:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Ikuhara winning by 9 votes; it looks like most users of this forum prefer him over Takeuchi!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:13 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Ikuhara is a brilliant director and I love all the anime he's worked on that I've seen. But his off the wall surrealist style of direction would be too clashing with the type of mainstream storytelling Sailor Moon aims for. I also think there's too much bad blood between Ikuhara and Toei for them to be an effective partnership. Ikuhara also seems to be at his best working on his own original projects than being tied down to am established franchise. Giving too much control to any author might not be the best idea either but I would much prefer Junichi Satou over either one to be honest.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:17 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
Neon Genesis wrote:
Giving too much control to any author might not be the best idea either but I would much prefer Junichi Satou over either one to be honest.

I have to agree w/ you. Junichi is a great choice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:14 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I'd say mix of both thats why i cant give my vote to either of them

I love what Ikuhara did to SM but his other works can be way too surrealistic and i really wouldnt want that for SM. So Ikuhara's SM without some guidance above him would worry me. I really wouldnt want SM to turn into Penguindrum or even Utena (and i love Utena)

On the other hand Naoko is the creator of SM and she has some fantastic ideas. Too bad next to fantastic arcs (Black Moon-Infinity-Dream) we have really weak ones (Dark Kingdom and Stars), on top of that even in the great arcs we often have weird and unnecessary plot point (Haruka/Usagi, Mamoru brainwashed way too many times). That also goes for PGSM (where Naoko worked a lot closer with Toei than the 90s anime) not everything is as peachy: first half of the show is indeed very strong and there's a lot of good character writing. Sadly the second half is full of poor choices and weird additions (Sailor Luna, Beryl "killing" Nephrite over Zoisite or Kunzite, Mio being promising at the beggining but losing steam later on, Emo Princess and the whole forbidden love and the end of the world, Minako's pointless sickness etc). Its hard for me to grasp Naoko. On one hand you have all those side stories full of humor (including Sailor V) and personality but then there's also very meh Luna's love story.

I think Takeuchi's ideas (in that sense thats she's working with Toei even closer than PGSM) with Ikuhara's and Junichi Satou's directing would turn fantastic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:55 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Didn't vote for any cause by the end of the day it's TOEI who has financial control over marketing, distribution and advertising.

Might change my mind if this :usagi: Crystal movie becomes a hit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:14 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I think Naoko could have been more fantastic if she had more time to write or think better ideas for Sailor Moon. Some of her plots where very good, but need more layering. But some moments of her plots I just like question why, that look cheesy!?

But I love Ikuhara direction to Sailor Moon more, especially with the movies. I thought the movies were more engaging than the TV series.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:49 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
We'll have a winner tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:12 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
^ Well, unless something dramatic would happen, the winner is already pretty obvious even at present. lol

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:33 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
^ Well, unless something dramatic would happen, the winner is already pretty obvious even at present. lol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:04 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
I pick neither for reasons. Now, I sorta like Ikuhara despite his surrealism, though, Satou's my favorite 90's SM director.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:26 am 
Stella
Stella
I personally love Ikuhara's surrealism that is one of my favorite things about his work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:50 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
As much as fans praise Ikuhara for his positive contributions to the 90s anime, Ikuhara was also behind a lot of the radical changes that a lot of fans hated about the original anime. Ikuhara was the main driving force behind the radical change to Rei's personality and most fans will agree to preferring Rei in the manga over the 90s anime although I do enjoy both a lot myself. Ikuhara also directed the R season which had the infamous Mamoru breakup subplot which even most Mamoru fans will criticize as poor writing. Regardless of all the behind the scenes drama with Toei, Ikuhara did oversee the direction of the SuperS season which most fans consider to be the worst season of the 90s anime. And if the tweets NJ posted are accurate about him, Ikuahra has his own fair share of personal drama and control issues as much as Naoko.

But even if they did have a new director create a new season for the anime, Naoko would still have final say over everything anyway as it is her story and there is no realistic way Naoko's control over the series can be wrestled away from her. It should also be pointed out Naoko was heavily involved in overseeing PGSM and Seramyu, both of which are typically highly regarded by the fans who have seen them. So I don't really think it's accurate for fans to portray everything Naoko touches as being ruined by it or everything Ikuhara does as sinless.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:55 am 
Stella
Stella
Neon Genesis wrote:
As much as fans praise Ikuhara for his positive contributions to the 90s anime, Ikuhara was also behind a lot of the radical changes that a lot of fans hated about the original anime. Ikuhara was the main driving force behind the radical change to Rei's personality and most fans will agree to preferring Rei in the manga over the 90s anime although I do enjoy both a lot myself. Ikuhara also directed the R season which had the infamous Mamoru breakup subplot which even most Mamoru fans will criticize as poor writing. Regardless of all the behind the scenes drama with Toei, Ikuhara did oversee the direction of the SuperS season which most fans consider to be the worst season of the 90s anime. And if the tweets NJ posted are accurate about him, Ikuahra has his own fair share of personal drama and control issues as much as Naoko.

But even if they did have a new director create a new season for the anime, Naoko would still have final say over everything anyway as it is her story and there is no realistic way Naoko's control over the series can be wrestled away from her. It should also be pointed out Naoko was heavily involved in overseeing PGSM and Seramyu, both of which are typically highly regarded by the fans who have seen them. So I don't really think it's accurate for fans to portray everything Naoko touches as being ruined by it or everything Ikuhara does as sinless.

Actually I much prefer Rei's personality in the 90s anime over her personality in the manga. I loved her fiery and fun side but also her practical side as well and I loved her fights with Usagi. 90s anime Rei is by far my favorite Rei. That being said I think that in SuperS Ikuhara wasn't given much creative freedom to do what he want like he did with S and that is why he eventually left Toei. However yeah I do agree that the Mamoru break up arc was very stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I feel like though there's kind of a double standard where if Naoko wants to have tight control over her own creation, she tends to be vilified and treated like some kind of horrible greedy control freak. But if Ikuhara tries to wrestle control over the franchise from Toei, he's seen as some kind of noble hero and a rebel. And Ikuhara's flaws tend to be excused away whereas Naoko's flaws are overly exaggerated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:03 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
The poll gap is narrowing - could Takeuchi manage to have a dramatic turnaround & win in the end w/ the lil time left? :D

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:16 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
We have a new poll now and I would like to ask a moderator to lock this thread. :keke:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:25 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Clow wrote:
We have a new poll now and I would like to ask a moderator to lock this thread. :keke:

Done, & hence no dramatic turnaround & Ikuhara wins in the end. :P

My J-pop corner

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2