* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Favorite Obscure Characters
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Motoki is definitely NOT an obscure character :P

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:45 pm 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One of my personal favorite minor characters was Yoshiki Usui and his boyfriend. I really enjoyed their characters and their story. I even made in my fanfiction Yoshiki to be Hina Kusaka's best friend she grew up around who designs her clothes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:47 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Another minor character I like is this member of the Juban Junior High Gardening Club from Act 31:

I wish we knew his name and got to see more of him. He could have made a good love interest for Mako since Naoko basically forgot all about Asanuma anyway.

Also, though we never see him, I've always been a bit curious about Motoki and Unazuki's uncle who owns the arcade and fruit parlor. Would have been nice to see him at least once.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:57 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
I love Diamond.. I think he was a very interesting and intriguing character...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Prince Diamond is not an obscure character. This thread is for your favorite obscure characters, not your favorite characters in general.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I liked Rei's school friend, Kotono, who appeared briefly in the Black Moon arc of the manga and Crystal. It was nice knowing Rei had at least one friend outside of the Sailor Guardians and I wish their friendship had been explored more. I wonder if the Kotono in the manga was named after Kotono Mitsuishi?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:19 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The Kuwabara look a like.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:23 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Usagi's Fat Friend
lol she's unknown poor thing

more+
Fiore
momo
mika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:31 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I recently went through the Dream arc of the manga and came up with some more obscure characters that intrigued me:

The Dead Moon Circus Clowns

Unsurprisingly, the Dream arc is full of clowns and clown imagery. We see clowns on the Dead Moon Circus's posters and flyers, we see them advertising the circus around downtown Tokyo, we see them out and about the circus's fairgrounds. Many of these are random, generic clowns, but when the Dead Moon Circus first flies out of the eclipse in their magical galleon in Act 39, we see this rather eclectic group of unique, detailed clowns: a Bozo the Clown, a masked woman, a freaky jester, a beruffled pierrot, a big lipped woman with an unusual hat, and a monkey in a suit. These bizarre characters are our first glimpse at this arc's villains; they're the first Lemures/Dead Moon Circus members we see, and I think they're fascinating, in part because they don't make a one-off appearance.

As you can see, a clown resembling our Bozo wannabe can be seen busking outside the circus tent. The unicycle-riding acrobat behind CereCere is wearing a headdress that closely resembles the hat worn by Big Lips. And in Act 47, as the Dead Moon Circus goes back into its galleon and shrinks, Naoko features them once again:

Note that she doesn't just reuse the panel art from Act 39; these are brand new drawings of the exact same characters (though the masked lady seems to have been replaced with a different clown, and Mr. Monkey and Big Lips seem to have gotten mini-me duplicates, possibly ventriloquist dummies?), so they can't just be some random, one-off group of evil clowns, right? As with "Reverend Gin and Tonic" in Stars, the level of detail and uniqueness in these clowns' designs, in addition to the repetition of their appearance, suggests to me that at some point Naoko perhaps had bigger plans for these characters. Perhaps they were going to be the antagonists after the Amazon Trio were defeated, but Naoko changed her mind and came up with Xenotime and Zeolite instead. Who knows. I just want to know more about these clowns. I want to know their names, their personalities, their powers. They're far more interesting to me than Xeno and Zeo, and many of the Lemures from the anime. I wish SuperS had featured these guys instead, and I hope they'll appear in Crystal.

(I also would have loved for Vesta's elephant to have been turned into the fourth member of the Amazon Trio Quartet. Is 'Elephant's Eye' a gemstone, by any chance? :lol: )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:13 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
You want characters more obscure than victims of the day? I guess that rules out my top picks of Princess Dia (from the Diamond Kingdom in episode 22), Minami the baby Mamoru and Usagi babysat in R, and Kamoi the starving artist from SuperS.

But how about these guys, the Army from Earth in episode 44 of the '90s anime:
Said by Prince Endymion to be jealous of the longevity of Silver Milennium's people and somehow brainwashed by Beryl, they follow her (through space in a big cloud of cyan dust- somehow I doubt this is a travel method they normally possess, and perhaps they used this method to arrive sooner than Endymion anticipated?) and thus played a part in destroying the Moon Kingdom (though given the exploding lightning from the spooky abyss in the sky it seems Queen Metallia handled the main bombardment of the proceedings directly).

Their collar and chest armor design seems similar to Prince Endymion's on close inspection, and the shields match those held by the Shitennou in one of the other scenes. Also, I like to think the gold shields are gold as a form of heraldry for the Golden Kingdom, rather than simply a coincidence (since the Golden Kingdom probably been been named as such yet, even in the manga).

Also, their swords glow like lightsabers, and one of them has a groovy mustache.

The scope of their guilt is in question as Prince Endymion claims they were brainwashed, so much like their leaders the Shitennou, while they may have had ill ill or tensions towards Silver Millennium of their own, the severity of the war may be much harsher than what they'd have been willing to do in their right minds, perhaps. That makes them tragic figures in their own right, I think, becoming nothing more than expended pawns in Beryl and Metallia's war (leaving the Shitennou to be the Knights/Bishops/Rooks, I suppose. Now I want a Silver Millenium vs. Dark Kingdom chess set...).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:43 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I wonder if it's possible Beryl's army was reincarnated as her monsters when they were reborn in the present day? I wish Beryl's army was something they expanded on more and how she was able to gain such a mass following like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:22 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I suppose they might form the nameless, faceless mass of minions we sometimes see in her throne room, but since they're all men, they probably didn't become youma, since I think all the youma were female apart from some of the Seven Shadow Warriors?

I do wonder if they have names from Greek mythology (like Endymion and Helios) or if they're named after minerals :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:42 am 
Stella
Stella
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I suppose they might form the nameless, faceless mass of minions we sometimes see in her throne room, but since they're all men, they probably didn't become youma, since I think all the youma were female apart from some of the Seven Shadow Warriors?

I do wonder if they have names from Greek mythology (like Endymion and Helios) or if they're named after minerals :lol:

Not all Youma were female. The Mantis Youma Sailor V dealt with in London was male. Also we saw male looking Youma in Beryl's court. Personally yes I think that during after the Dark Kingdom was sealed within the Earth after the fall of the Silver Millennium that the taint of Queen Metalia's dark energy transformed the various members of Beryl's army and Kingdom into Youma. It also had some effects on Queen Beryl and the Shitennou was well. Like for instance I think that is why Nephrite bled green blood and why Queen Beryl after Prince Endymion impaled her with his rose seemed to crack like a creature made of glass. Honestly it reminded me of the witch played by Eva Green on the Dark Shadows movie.

Also to Neon Genesis I believe it was explained. Queen Metalia emerged from the Sun Spots on the Sun and began to communicate with Beryl they played on the negative desires of the people of the Earth and the jealousy and distrust they felt towards the Moon Kingdom watching over them. For the Shitennou in the manga atleast it was basically stated that Beryl convinced them that Princess Serenity had bewitched Endymion and her romance with him was a ploy to take over the Earth. In turn they gave their wills to Beryl and she brainwashed them.