* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Favorite Obscure Characters
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:43 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Who are your favorite obscure characters? By "obscure characters" I mean not only those characters exclusive to an obscure (but official!) piece of Sailor Moon media (such as the original characters in the PC-Engine game), but also those characters in the manga, 90s anime, live action series, Crystal, video games, etc. who briefly appear "on-screen" and have some dialog, but may or may not have a name, and while having a certain intrigue that catches your personal attention, may be so fleeting a character they fail to make a substantial impression on the fandom and, thus, become obscure. In other words, an obscure character is one who is more than a vague, nameless figure in a crowd, but less than a supporting character or a "victim of the day."

By way of example, I give you some of mine:

The T.A. Girls Academy Supernatural Research Club + The Moto Azabu Middle School Science Fiction Appreciation Club

Thanks to Sailor Moon Crystal, Kotono Sarashina and Itou Asanuma have finally been animated (Asanuma's brief cameo in that one episode of Stars doesn't count!) and are no longer as obscure as they once were (though, being named and fairly developed supporting characters in the manga, they never really fit my definition of 'obscure character' to begin with). However, the respective school clubs to which they belong, as well as their fellow club members, are certainly still quite obscure and under-developed/under-used.
Who are these other club members? There seem to be at least two or three other girls in the Supernatural Research Club and two or three other boys in the Sci Fi club. I want to know their names, their personalities, their reasons for joining these clubs, etc. I want to see these clubs in action. There's no way these clubs weren't investigating the Demon Bus incidents or the Ghost Bride legend or getting swept up in the Silver Crystal mania during the Dark Kingdom arc. If we get another Sailor Moon adaptation, I want them to introduce these clubs/characters during the first arc, not the second. After all, unless she moved to town later on, shouldn't Rei's #1 fan girl Kotono be around in Act 3 to defend Rei against all the malicious rumors and accusations? I also want to see them investigate the genetic regression and other weird incidents involving Mugen Academy during the Infinity arc. I want an episode where we see the enemy's latest evil-plot-of-the-week unfold from their perspective. There's just endless potential to be mined with these clubs/characters! (Especially if you add Umino as an unofficial member or something!)

(I also want to know more about that guy they mention who was at the school festival taking photos of the UFOs. Who was he? What was he doing there/why was he taking those photos? Maybe it's just my suspicious nature, but I can't help but imagine he had some sort of sinister motives...)

~ ~ ~

The Black Moon Nuns

Also from Act 15, the group of nuns with black moon symbols on their foreheads at T.A. Girls Academy have always fascinated me. Who are these sisters? Were they regular humans who became possessed? Are they impostors/Droid replacements? Members of the Black Moon Clan/people from Nemesis? The first time I read the manga I thought they were the Ayakashi Sisters in disguise, but then I turned the page and saw one of them spontaneously combusted, so I had to rule that idea out. And since none of the other Droids had Black Moon marks (I don't think?), I don't think that's what they are either. So just who are these nuns? Where did they come from? And, more importantly, where did they go? A group of Black Moon sisters who mysteriously combust and/or disappear is so fascinating and creepy to me. Definitely something I wish the Supernatural Research club had gotten to investigate further.

~ ~ ~

Ami's Friend

I don't know about you, but my perception of Ami has always been that she's a quiet, reserved, almost painfully shy girl who doesn't really have friends outside of the Sailor Team, so seeing the manga so casually drop in this character (and then immediately forget about her) has always shocked me. Who is this girl? What's her name? Is she a member of the Chess Club? (She doesn't appear to be.) How did she and Ami meet? When did they become such close friends? (Note that this girl addresses Ami as "Ami-chan" and NOT as "Mizuno-san," indicating that they're fairly familiar with each other.) I want to know more about this girl and see more of her friendship with Ami!

~ ~ ~

Mako's Friend

By contrast, Act 17 gives us this bittersweet story of Mako's friend from her old school. We know that Asanuma reminds Mako of her, and that she was straightforward and honest. Mako tells Asanuma that she was a great friend, but she took her for granted and left town without saying goodbye to her. I was really hoping Crystal would include this story and maybe flesh it out a bit, but instead disappointed me by completely excising it. I really hope the next Sailor Moon adaptation will pounce upon this bit of backstory. I want to know more about this girl. I want to see Mako go back to her old town, track her down, apologize, and reconcile.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

Post subject: Re: Favorite Obscure Characters
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:26 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membership
Does Thetis count? She has a name and an episode. Prettiest Youma ever!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:18 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nice examples! Those are super-duper obscure characters, I forgot about some of them.

I always liked Kakasui from Sailor Moon S. It was nice they presented a male character in Mako's life that wasn't a love interest. I also liked her friend Tomoko from SuperS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:46 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
I liked Ryo Urawa from the first season. I wish they would've made him Ami's long distance boyfriend.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:49 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
Neo Queen Serenity wrote:
I liked Ryo Urawa from the first season. I wish they would've made him Ami's long distance boyfriend.

I loved Ryo, too! I agree that he should be Ami's long distance boyfriend.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:28 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Serena-Hime wrote:
Does Thetis count? She has a name and an episode. Prettiest Youma ever!

I love Thetis! I think they also used her in one of the video games. I don't think she's really obscure among the really devoted fanbase, but I'd say more casual fans probably wouldn't remember her or know her name.

Neo Queen Serenity wrote:

Can he really be considered an obscure character? He appears in a few episodes and I think is well-known as Ami's love interest. I'd say he's more of a minor character than an "obscure" one per se, but he's definitely a favorite for me too. I wish they'd brought him back after the first season. There was no reason for him to just vanish from the series.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

To add a couple more obscure characters from the manga I love:

Hot Pharmacy Guy

Anyone else disappointed we never got to see the hot pharmacy guy from Act 17 again? He could have been a great addition to the series' supporting cast as Unazuki's boyfriend (or even as a love interest for Mako since her relationship with Asanuma went nowhere). Poor hot pharmacy guy. We hardly knew you.

The Man in the Bar

This guy from Act 55 has always fascinated me. The other obscure characters I've highlighted in this thread so far have all had fairly simple character designs. That seems to be Naoko's MO for these sorts of background characters: they get simple, sketchy, generic character designs. But this guy whom Galaxia meets at some bar on some trash planet in whatever galaxy is different. He has a very definite, very detailed, very unique appearance. (Due to which I've nicknamed him "Reverend Gin and Tonic." :lol: ) Naoko obviously put some real time, thought, and effort into designing this guy, which begs the question: why? Did she intend for him to make an appearance later in the series? Or did she just happen to have a lot of free time that day?
All I know is, if there's ever a sixth arc, or if Crystal does a movie after Stars, I hope they make this guy the main villain.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:12 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
there's that cute classmate friend of Usagi

Attachments:
16-1.png
16-1.png [ 514.16 KiB | Viewed 1766 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:17 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The fat cat. =^_^=

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
That class mate Rose is named Yumiko. She has a friend with short black hair that hangs around her named Kuri.

rgveda99 wrote:
The fat cat. =^_^=

You mean Rhett Butler yeah I loved him too.

All though I have to agree with MementoNepenthe Reverend Gin and Tonic seems very interesting. He has a very unique and cool appearance. It would be cool of more could be made of him especially with his lust for Godhood and power.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:40 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Prince Rose wrote:

The one with the glasses? The red head? Or Yumi? I wish we could have gotten to know more of Usagi's classmates. They probably would have made more interesting/relevant victims of the day than some of the ones we ended up getting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:46 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:

The one with the glasses? The red head? Or Yumi? I wish we could have gotten to know more of Usagi's classmates. They probably would have made more interesting/relevant victims of the day than some of the ones we ended up getting.

dark long hair one
I always thought she was cute

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:50 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
The ugly girls club of season 1.

It feels like Betty La Fea (the original and best version of Ugly Betty).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:58 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
Natsuna Sakurada.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:55 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
Would have been interesting if Yumi was a Sailor Senshi. I'm also down with the Paranormal Club. Sailor Mars should have had her a lil spin off involving them.

Thetis was great. Jadeite was a fool. What about that Samurai girl from SuperS? I think she's an only anime character but would it have been cool too have a Samurai type Senshi or just an ally. Who else am I forgetting? Oh and I would love more adventures with Chibi-Usa friend, Momoko. Momoko to me is like how Naru is to Usagi. Hm, what about that vampire girl from SuperS. I thought she was interesting and I love those cute goofy characters from the haunted house episode.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:31 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
girls' families if they counts.We didn't see any other than Usagi's parents-brother or rei's grandfather

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:33 am 
Stella
Stella
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
Would have been interesting if Yumi was a Sailor Senshi. I'm also down with the Paranormal Club. Sailor Mars should have had her a lil spin off involving them.

Thetis was great. Jadeite was a fool. What about that Samurai girl from SuperS? I think she's an only anime character but would it have been cool too have a Samurai type Senshi or just an ally. Who else am I forgetting? Oh and I would love more adventures with Chibi-Usa friend, Momoko. Momoko to me is like how Naru is to Usagi. Hm, what about that vampire girl from SuperS. I thought she was interesting and I love those cute goofy characters from the haunted house episode.

I love Thetis as well she is probably my favorite obscure character.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:35 am 
Planeta
Planeta
litacan wrote:
girls' families if they counts.We didn't see any other than Usagi's parents-brother or rei's grandfather

We saw all the other families in the Manga.

Minako's family in Sailor V.
A photo of Makoto's parents in the Black Moon Arc
Ami's mother in the Dream Arc
Rei's mother in Casablanca Memories (IIRC).

My favourite obscure character would be ... Hikaru Sorano. Minako's friend who is Ami's prototype in design!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:39 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
I love those cute goofy characters from the haunted house episode.

I loved those guys! Wish they could have come back for another spooky Halloween type episode in a later season.

Speaking of the anime, my favorite victim will always be that fabulous fat lady from the first episode

Screw Naru; they should have made that lady the Dark Kingdom's perpetual energy target.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:37 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
DREWdesu wrote:
litacan wrote:

We saw all the other families in the Manga.

Minako's family in Sailor V.
A photo of Makoto's parents in the Black Moon Arc
Ami's mother in the Dream Arc
Rei's mother in Casablanca Memories (IIRC).

My favourite obscure character would be ... Hikaru Sorano. Minako's friend who is Ami's prototype in design!

ami and rei's fathers are visible in those arcs too but they are still somewhat obscure to me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:11 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
PGSM :minako:'s gay manager.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:06 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Phobos and Deimos. I always thought they were better guardians than the cats since they could actually help out in a fight. Also Kotono and her supernatural club. If they ever do another reboot i want her to be Lois Lane type of character: always getting in trouble while investigating something weird. And Mars can be her Superman :smug:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:54 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
I actually forgot about ‘BOSS’ from Sailor V. Other than Hikaru, Boss is my favourite.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:11 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Katarina.

I wonder how she would look like as a phage.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:11 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Minako's friend from volleyball team (asai) gotta admit it's my favorite ep from S and he seemed like a cool guy

also rei's cousin in Stars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
litacan wrote:

Who looked like Yuichirou. P-:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:37 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Umino wrote:
litacan wrote:

Who looked like Yuichirou. P-:

Wouldn't be the first instance of cousin incest in this show :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:29 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
The mangaka from Sailor V.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:49 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
reverend gin and tonic-- YES!!! i am really curious about him.

also usagi's non-naru friends (yumiko and kuri?)

idk i kinda liked the baby doll monster that hotaru mind-blasted in super.

does vega from countdown to the tanabata count? no? ah well, i still really like her.

the boy in chibi-usa's class who kinda antagonizes her (i know he's more 'minor' character than obscure, oh well)

naruru and ruruna (see note above)

i failed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:21 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I would say Vega, Naruru, and Ruruna count since I don't think the side stories are that well-known, so their characters can be considered relatively obscure. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:13 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Motoki Furuhata & Fiore, (although not sure if the last example counts)!! :love: :cookie: