* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The "School" Plothole in SuperS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:22 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Has anybody come up with any reason why Usagi and the girls just don't go to school during SuperS? By the time S came around, the series was straying away from "school life", but we were still reminded they were students. They talked about their entrance exams, had study-buddy sessions, wore their school uniforms... none of which happens in SuperS.

To make things even more bizarre, Chibiusa is seen at school multiple times. Why is she the exception?

Post subject: Re: The "School" Plothole in SuperS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:28 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Enjoy Yourself
SuperS seems like a mass dream that the whole city was having triggered by the eclipse and woke up while SM was falling down after Chibiusa
I suppose chibiusa is at school because that's one of the ways she sees her besties? dream or not there is an emphasis on the daily lives of the people including the inners

that's my theory

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:49 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Well there is the Nehellenia's Living Nightmare idea which was propagated by some people as a way to explain the inconsistences. For the reason the Senshi were in the 8th grade for two years in Classic and R there is the idea that time reset at the end of Classsic. All though according to Sabrblade I don't think these ideas are plausible. The official idea is that Classic and R take place in one year when the Senshi are in Grade 8. Sailor Moon S and Sailor Moon SuperS also take place in one year where the Inners are in Grade 9 and Haruka and Michiru are in Grade 10. Sailor Stars takes place during one year when the Inners are in Grade 10 and Haruka and Michiru are in Grade 11.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:15 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Summer holidays?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:15 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sera-V wrote:
Summer holidays?

They went through pretty much an entire year. And like I mentioned in the original post, Chibiusa was still going to school.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:43 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Because dream fog: http://keyofnik.jetwolf.com/2014/01/15/wtf-supers/ warning: Plenty of cursing. (not my theory).
Tl;dr: basically, as mentioned by previous poster, the whole town is stuck in a dream state after the first episode eclipse which is why school never starts again after summer break should be long over and nobody questions it (along with other things). Chibiusa is only seen taking fun classes rather than actual school.

This theory takes ALOT of liberties and reading between the lines but consering how well it fits with the theme of the season, I'm buying it.

Also I'm pretty sure we never see them in school uniform or see them study in all of supers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:57 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
They ARE in school during Supers. Just for whatever reason the girls are not drawn in their uniforms. In addition to Chibiusa being seen at school, school is referenced on several occasions. In episode 130 Usagi is shown to have failed another exam, and in episode 153 Usagi whines about having to do homework. I believe there are also other references, but those are just that I can think of off the top of my head. It's really just the animators decided to only draw the characters in regular clothes for whatever reason.

Edit: If I had to guess the choice was made because of the focus on Chibiusa in Supers. Because there's more focus on Chibiusa and less on the girls, we're not seeing them during school, or near school hours, and by the time we're seeing them they've already changed into regular clothes.

Post subject: Re: The "School" Plothole in Supers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:38 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
usachan25 wrote:
In episode 130 Usagi is shown to have failed another exam

I'm gonna handwave that one as it being a test they did before going on break and got back late, also we dont know how long Usagi had that under her bed.

usachan25 wrote:
and in episode 153 Usagi whines about having to do homework.

Well Yeah but she just said it instinctivly as her mom caught her in front of the tv.

I think the theory boils down to that the reality is somewhat altered after the peoples unconscious minds - like when you're dreaming. The girls just aren't thinking about school so therefore it's not happening and nobody questions it (as when you are dreaming you usually don't). Chibiusa on the other hand wants (or dreams of you Will) to be in school with her friends so therefore she goes (again - only to subjects she enjoys)

And it's just a theory, no one has to believe in it if they dont want to :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:49 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
UsaCow wrote:
Because dream fog: http://keyofnik.jetwolf.com/2014/01/15/wtf-supers/ warning: Plenty of cursing. (not my theory).
Tl;dr: basically, as mentioned by previous poster, the whole town is stuck in a dream state after the first episode eclipse which is why school never starts again after summer break should be long over and nobody questions it (along with other things). Chibiusa is only seen taking fun classes rather than actual school.

This theory takes ALOT of liberties and reading between the lines but consering how well it fits with the theme of the season, I'm buying it.

Also I'm pretty sure we never see them in school uniform or see them study in all of supers.

After reading this I am starting to buy the Dream Fog theory as well. Some of the ideas are faulty but this really makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:22 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
UsaCow wrote:
usachan25 wrote:
In episode 130 Usagi is shown to have failed another exam

I'm gonna handwave that one as it being a test they did before going on break and got back late, also we dont know how long Usagi had that under her bed.

But Ikuko had just made Shingo and Chibiusa a pie for doing well on exams, so it couldn't have been too long.
I also thought of a couple of other examples.
Chibiusa and Usagi are shown doing homework in episodes 133 and 158, in addition to a scene where all the girls are studying in 136.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:28 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Umino wrote:
Has anybody come up with any reason why Usagi and the girls just don't go to school during SuperS? By the time S came around, the series was straying away from "school life", but we were still reminded they were students. They talked about their entrance exams, had study-buddy sessions, wore their school uniforms... none of which happens in SuperS.

To make things even more bizarre, Chibiusa is seen at school multiple times. Why is she the exception?
Simple. Their school life just wasn't relevant to SuperS's plot (or lack thereof).

Even though they (minus Chibiusa) don't attend school onscreen in those episode, we can tell that they still do so offscreen based on the clothes they wear (or at least by the clothes worn by Chibiusa, since she does wear her school uniform the most often of all the girls in that season of the anime).

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:00 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
UsaCow wrote:

I always point to :setsuna: using her Time Stop ability which had consequences. Seeing as how Nehellenia's been banished for so many years and the only time she (more specifically her minions )were able to attack Helios in Elysion during an eclipse were after the events of Mistress 9 or Pharaoh 90's resurrection.

It's interesting that the Garnet Rod can access people's dreams and project it to other people's minds.

Also someone made a thread a long time ago about the weather was irregular during SuperS which is explained also in the link.

So yeah the dream fog would be the best reason to explain SuperS inconsistencies. ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:19 am 
Stella
Stella
Sabrblade wrote:
Umino wrote:

Simple. Their school life just wasn't relevant to SuperS's plot (or lack thereof).

Even though they (minus Chibiusa) don't attend school onscreen in those episode, we can tell that they still do so offscreen based on the clothes they wear (or at least by the clothes worn by Chibiusa, since she does wear her school uniform the most often of all the girls in that season of the anime).

What is your opinion on the Dream Fog idea Sabrblade. Do you think it is a viable theory or do you think that it like the whole time being reset at the end of Classic doesn't hold up?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:57 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
MariaTenebre wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Umino wrote:

What is your opinion on the Dream Fog idea Sabrblade. Do you think it is a viable theory or do you think that it like the whole time being reset at the end of Classic doesn't hold up?
Unnecessary. The anime already goofed up its timeline between Classic and R. What's one more goof up between Super and SuperS at that point? Keeps things consistently wonky, at least. :P

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:24 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I think it's as simple as they are in school but we don't see it. We're focusing on Chibiusa for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:23 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
usachan25 wrote:
They ARE in school during Supers. Just for whatever reason the girls are not drawn in their uniforms. In addition to Chibiusa being seen at school, school is referenced on several occasions. In episode 130 Usagi is shown to have failed another exam, and in episode 153 Usagi whines about having to do homework. I believe there are also other references, but those are just that I can think of off the top of my head. It's really just the animators decided to only draw the characters in regular clothes for whatever reason.

I totally forgot about those scenes! You're right!

I know everyone is saying "to put the focus on Chibiusa", but it still seems strange to me. By the time S rolls around, the anime did seem to take the focus away from school life. Other than study sessions, I think there were only maybe two or three scenes of the girls at school. But, we still got remainders school was in session.

SuperS barely had that. It almost seems blatant that the guys (other than Chibiusa) are ever shown in their school uniforms. They also made sure to omit the fact the girls began High School in the Dream arc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:03 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Umino wrote:
They also made sure to omit the fact the girls began High School in the Dream arc.
Well, that in turn just created more consistency with the previous error made by R in having the girls be in 8th grade for a second whole year, as it resulted in the girls being in 9th grade for a second whole year too.

Though it was likely unintentional, the 90s anime's timeline goofs created a pattern of every school year lasting for two calendar years instead of one. :P

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:10 am 
Stella
Stella
However one thing I think is true in the manga. In Dream and Stars weren't the Senshi in the 10th grade for basically two years in these arcs?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:21 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
MariaTenebre wrote:
However one thing I think is true in the manga. In Dream and Stars weren't the Senshi in the 10th grade for basically two years in these arcs?
They were definitely in Grade 10 in the Dream arc, yes, but in the Stars arc, their school grade was never mentioned, meaning that they could have been in 11th grade without our ever having known for certain.

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote: