* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Classic and R Grade 8 how do you explain it
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:04 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Since someone made a thread asking the question on how the Senshi basically playing hooky for a year in SuperS was explained away and I must say the Dream Fog statement very accurately explains this away with little plot holes I now ask you how do you explain away the fact that the Senshi are in Grade 8 for two years in Classic and R.

One explanation I have heard is that some people state is that after the finale of Classic that time is rest by Usagi's wish for the Senshi to have a new life and a new reincarnation and that the year is reset only without the Dark Kingdom being there.

There is unlike the problem with the Dream Fog idea some problems with this. Number one people refer to events that happened during the Classic in R. There is a stage reenactment depicting Sailor Moon, Sailor Mercury and Sailor Mars's battle with Jadeite at the Airport. There are also further issues that should be resolved such as the fact that if this is true does this mean that everyone who the Senshi encountered would have no memory of their past encounters with the Senshi and would still be dealing with the same problems before the Senshi resolved them like Sakiko's issue with her father trying to advance her psychic powers? That certainly would be a giant middle finger to the fans in seeing all of the good the Senshi did and all of their relationships over turned. Plus I don't think this is so in the series. For instance Naru and Umino are a couple at the beginning of R unlike in Classic where they were not. Makoto is going to Usagi's school from the beginning of R etc. I mean would Naru still have her memories of Nephrite. It would kind of suck if she forgot all about him. Plus in the series the only people who seem like the lost their memories of the Dark Kingdom series are Usagi, the Inners and Mamoru. Luna and Artemis still have their memories for instance and do not act like that time was reversed. Heck they don't even mention this in the finale of Classic or R at all which something so huge would be rather pertinent to mention. Of course for the Dream Fog theory no one mentions this at the end of SuperS or beginning of Stars but I suppose this could be explained away in that the whole planet was under the Dream Fog of Nehellenia's eclipse but given that Luna and Artemis seem to retain their memories it would be rather pertinent for them to mention this.

I ultimately don't think there is a satisfactory explanation for this not like the Dream Fog theory and we are simply supposed to take at face value that even though the seasons change that Classic and R ultimately take place in just one year.

Post subject: Re: Classic and R Grade 8 how do you explain it
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:51 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
i always thought the school is in another trimester in r

however i rewatched R before classic and thought that it's actually the classic season.so I think 'the year reset' is more accurate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:18 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It's simple. The anime goofed.

The show even features signs in some episodes that give the year in four of the five seasons: 1992 for Classic, 1993 for R, 1995 for SuperS, and 1996 for Sailor Stars (Super is the only season that didn't get its year, 1994, shown onscreen).

Not to mention that the very first episode of the whole anime takes place after April 1, since the school year is already in session by that episode's time, whereas the first four episodes of R (Episodes 47-50) take place before Hanami (the event that took place in Episode 51), which occurs during Spring Break, and which would have taken place during March back in the early 90s, placing the first four episodes of the Makaiju arc during the same school year as the one that was in session in Classic, albeit near to the very end of the third trimester.

A new school year would have begun by Episode 52's time, as everyone was back in school by that episode's time. However, this new school year continued to have everyone in the same grade as the previous one, so it's just a goof.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:26 am 
Stella
Stella
Sabrblade wrote:
It's simple. The anime goofed.

The show even features signs in some episodes that give the year in four of the five seasons: 1992 for Classic, 1993 for R, 1995 for SuperS, and 1996 for Sailor Stars (Super is the only season that didn't get its year, 1994, shown onscreen).

Not to mention that the very first episode of the whole anime takes place after April 1, since the school year is already in session by that episode's time, whereas the first four episodes of R (Episodes 47-50) take place before Hanami (the event that took place in Episode 51), which occurs during Spring Break, and which would have taken place during March back in the early 90s, placing the first four episodes of the Makaiju arc during the same school year as the one that was in session in Classic, albeit near to the very end of the third trimester.

A new school year would have begun by Episode 52's time, as everyone was back in school by that episode's time. However, this new school year continued to have everyone in the same grade as the previous one, so it's just a goof.

Yeah that is what I thought as well. Officially the 90s anime takes place during the course of 3 years. Classic and R take place one year while the Inners are in Grade 8, S and SuperS take place during one year while The Inners are in Grade 9 and Haruka and Michiru are in Grade 10. Sailor Stars takes place while the Inners are in Grade 10 and Haruka and Michiru are in grade 11.

BTW does anyone know what grades Chibiusa is in, in R, S, SuperS and Sailor Stars. I know that Hotaru in S is 12 however once she is age regressed to a baby and then later aged up to around Chibiusa's physical age I forget what grade and age grade she is in.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:54 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
MariaTenebre wrote:
Officially the 90s anime takes place during the course of 3 years. Classic and R take place one year while the Inners are in Grade 8, S and SuperS take place during one year while The Inners are in Grade 9 and Haruka and Michiru are in Grade 10. Sailor Stars takes place while the Inners are in Grade 10 and Haruka and Michiru are in grade 11.
That's how it ought to have been, but isn't how it ended up being since the anime went through Spring-Winter five times over the course of its five TV seasons (except for Sailor Stars since Galaxia was defeated before Winter break).

The manga made the same goof as well for at least the first two arcs, with Ikuko talking near to the end of the Dark Kingdom arc about how Usagi would be starting Grade 9 soon, but the entire Black Moon arc (which itself underwent the whole run of Spring-Winter just like the Dark Kingdom arc did) had her still in Grade 8, with her not being in Grade 9 until the Mugen arc.

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:26 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:

I know it's minor, but I don't think signs in the Sailor Moon universe make for good evidence. Most of the time they're just animation easter eggs. There was even an episode where two store signs changed text and images within a scene. :googly:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:41 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
Sabrblade wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
Officially the 90s anime takes place during the course of 3 years. Classic and R take place one year while the Inners are in Grade 8, S and SuperS take place during one year while The Inners are in Grade 9 and Haruka and Michiru are in Grade 10. Sailor Stars takes place while the Inners are in Grade 10 and Haruka and Michiru are in grade 11.
That's how it ought to have been, but isn't how it ended up being since the anime went through Spring-Winter five times over the course of its five TV seasons (except for Sailor Stars since Galaxia was defeated before Winter break).

The manga made the same goof as well for at least the first two arcs, with Ikuko talking near to the end of the Dark Kingdom arc about how Usagi would be starting Grade 9 soon, but the entire Black Moon arc (which itself underwent the whole run of Spring-Winter just like the Dark Kingdom arc did) had her still in Grade 8, with her not being in Grade 9 until the Mugen arc.

Another excellent post, Sabrblade!