* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 90s JP commercial break placement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:20 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Okay so this is an oddball question, and I wouldn't be surprised if no one had the answer, but I'm curious about placement of commercials when the 90s anime originally aired on TV. So I know obviously the main commercial break while SM was airing on TV would be between the eyecatches, but were there commercials placed in other parts of the show? With the show having a run time of about 23-34 minutes it would seem like they would have to have a rather long commercial break between the eyecatches to fill a 30 minute slot, so I'd think there must have been ads placed other spots also.
After the OP theme?
Before the ED credits and PTNE?
Or was it really just a very long commercial break in the middle of the episode?
Again, I wouldn't be surprised if no one had the answer, I'm just curious.
I know no one else cares about this kind of stuff, besides me, it was just something that crossed my mind while I was doing a rewatch of classic.

Post subject: Re: 90s JP commercial break placement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:22 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
There are two more sets of commercials, one after the opening and one before the ending.

It's arranged like this:

Opening - Sponsor card - Commercials - Episode first half - Commercials (with the show's eyecatches before and after here) - Episode second half - Commercials - Next Episode Preview and/or Ending (some shows like Saint Seiya & Dragon Ball had the previews air before the Endings) - Sponsor card (with some having a "see you next time" card)

Examples (from DBZ):

Post subject: Re: 90s JP commercial break placement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:36 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Thank you so much for your helpful response! So then basically the way Hulu placed commercials is the way it's done on Japanese TV.