* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Let's Discuss the Sailors' Birthdays
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:17 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I've always found it interesting how in the Materials Collection Naoko not only states the Starlights' birthdays, but also notes the notable figures with whom they share their birthdays (Seiya and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Taiki and Dante Alighieri*, Yaten and James Dean).

[Note: *Dante's date of birth is not known and I can't seem to find any source for attributing May 30 as his birthday. Maybe someone here can find a source?]

It's pretty easy to see the parallels between the Starlights and their birthday mates: Seiya and Schwarzenegger are both athletic (though Seiya doesn't look like much of a body builder); Taiki and Dante are both intellectuals and poets; and Yaten and James Dean both have that aloof, loner/outsider vibe. (Any other parallels that I'm missing? Or do you think there are parallels that might be implied, like Taiki having an unrequited love a la Dante and Beatrice?)

Now, this has always made me curious about whether the birthdays of the other Sailors were also chosen so that they are shared with significant notable figures, or if they're just random dates. A cursory look at some of the Sailors' birthdates on Wikipedia didn't turn up anything that registered as meaningful, but maybe one of you guys will be able to find some sort of connection.

Anyway.

The other thing I wanted to talk about here is the Sailors' birthdays with respect to their sun signs. Obviously each was assigned a birthday that would fall into the sun sign ruled by their respective planet (with Tuxedo Mask being a Leo, ruled by the sun, either because it makes sense to pair the Moon with the Sun, because there are no signs ruled by Earth and the Sun is a good stand-in, or because Tux is also secretly the guardian of the Sun: discuss! :P ).

Now, when it came to the Starlights...

Seiya being a Leo makes sense since she's basically Mamoru's stand-in for most of Stars.
Taiki being a Gemini makes sense because it's a previously unused sign ruled by Mercury, and there are obvious parallels/connections between Taiki and Ami.
Yaten being an Aquarius.....makes no sense to me. Whereas Seiya has a very Leo personality and Taiki a very Gemini one, Yaten doesn't feel at all like an Aquarius to me. She should have been a Taurus, the only remaining sun sign left to be used, which is ruled by Venus and therefore an appropriate choice for the Starlight who is often paired up with Minako.

So, in summary, my questions here are:

1. What parallels, if any, do you find between the Starlights and their birthday mates?
2. Do you think the other characters' specific birth dates were chosen for a reason or are they just random?
3. Do you think Naoko goofed by making Yaten an Aquarius instead of a Taurus?
4. Do you think Naoko secretly hates Taurus/Taureans? :lol:
5. Would you change any of the characters' birthdays?

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

Post subject: Re: Let's Discuss the Sailors' Birthdays
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:07 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I would change Mina's birthday so it wouldn't be so close with the cusp of Scorpio. Maybe October 6 since six is associated with Aphrodite?

We stand in awe at that which cannot be seen - Rukia Kuchiki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:37 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
i don't know about starsigns a lot,but ironically starsigns are the first thing i observe while reading the manga :D so those questions crossed from my mind from time to time. :lol:

1.although it doesn't make any sense,i feel like yaten has an aquarius personality;she has a charm but somewhat aloof and sarcastic.Most aquarius people i know are that way.I like Ami-Taiki very much and think they are a good couple worth mentioning.And I have to say Seiya-Usagi are a better couple than Usagi-Mamoru (can't be objective since i dislike Mamoru)

2.I think they are randomly chosen according to their starsigns.however I am happy that I share a birthday with Ami :happy:

3.as i've said before,i think Yaten is a very good Aquarius :ohmy: :ohmy:

4.not really.When i think about myself,i hate a starsign (won't say which one it's a secret :D ) but i have OC's in my fiction who has that sign :D :D

5.i wouldn't change anything.But i'd like to add birthday informations to certain minor characters;for example Motoki.Me and my friend decided he can be a Libra but it's no fun when there isn't any official information :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:10 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Yaten being an Aquarius.....makes no sense to me. Whereas Seiya has a very Leo personality and Taiki a very Gemini one, Yaten doesn't feel at all like an Aquarius to me. She should have been a Taurus, the only remaining sun sign left to be used, which is ruled by Venus and therefore an appropriate choice for the Starlight who is often paired up with Minako.

No, I think Yaten is very much an Aquarius. :lol: Her birthday is a couple of days after mine, and I feel like we have some similarities. I didn't share the same similarities with Haruka, even though I prefer her as a character. Ironically, a good friend of mine has the same birthday as Haruka and i feel like he acts a lot like her.

But that's just me, I guess. Yaten also shares the same birthday as Honey Kisaragi.

Quote:

Taurus are pretty awful. Other than my grandmother, I don't think there's a single other Taurus I care for. P-:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:51 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I've always found it interesting how in the Materials Collection Naoko not only states the Starlights' birthdays, but also notes the notable figures with whom they share their birthdays (Seiya and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Taiki and Dante Alighieri*, Yaten and James Dean).

[Note: *Dante's date of birth is not known and I can't seem to find any source for attributing May 30 as his birthday. Maybe someone here can find a source?]

It's pretty easy to see the parallels between the Starlights and their birthday mates: Seiya and Schwarzenegger are both athletic (though Seiya doesn't look like much of a body builder); Taiki and Dante are both intellectuals and poets; and Yaten and James Dean both have that aloof, loner/outsider vibe. (Any other parallels that I'm missing? Or do you think there are parallels that might be implied, like Taiki having an unrequited love a la Dante and Beatrice?)

Now, this has always made me curious about whether the birthdays of the other Sailors were also chosen so that they are shared with significant notable figures, or if they're just random dates. A cursory look at some of the Sailors' birthdates on Wikipedia didn't turn up anything that registered as meaningful, but maybe one of you guys will be able to find some sort of connection.

Anyway.

The other thing I wanted to talk about here is the Sailors' birthdays with respect to their sun signs. Obviously each was assigned a birthday that would fall into the sun sign ruled by their respective planet (with Tuxedo Mask being a Leo, ruled by the sun, either because it makes sense to pair the Moon with the Sun, because there are no signs ruled by Earth and the Sun is a good stand-in, or because Tux is also secretly the guardian of the Sun: discuss! :P ).

Now, when it came to the Starlights...

Seiya being a Leo makes sense since she's basically Mamoru's stand-in for most of Stars.
Taiki being a Gemini makes sense because it's a previously unused sign ruled by Mercury, and there are obvious parallels/connections between Taiki and Ami.

So, in summary, my questions here are:

1. What parallels, if any, do you find between the Starlights and their birthday mates?
2. Do you think the other characters' specific birth dates were chosen for a reason or are they just random?
3. Do you think Naoko goofed by making Yaten an Aquarius instead of a Taurus?
5. Would you change any of the characters' birthdays?

Well let me say this Mamoru is not the Guardian of the Sun. Senshi can only be Senshi of one celestial object at the time and there can not be two or more Senshi of the same celestial object. Tuxedo Mask is the Senshi of just the Earth he has some solar associations but he is not the Senshi of the Sun. He is always referred to as Earth's Senshi only. When Sailor Galaxia in Sailor Stars had his starseed she said she had the Starseed that controls the Earth not the Earth and the Sun and when we see a close up in Sailor Stars of the Sailor Senshi superimposed on their planet they guard. Mamoru was shown over the Earth not the Earth and Sun.