Does anyone else find it ridiculous?
Attachment:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 68.86 KiB | Viewed 1005 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sailor Stars ending
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:31 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I hated Stars but I don't find Usagi's behaviour ridiculous. Galaxia was controlled by an evil force, she was not responsible of her actions and above all she was a Sailor Warrior who tried her best to save the galaxy, just like Usagi did numerous times. She could never kill her.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:35 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
Eh. I guess one could argue that it shows how Usagi/SM grew as a person over the years, plus she doesn't have any past-life drama between her and the big bad in the latter scenario.

That being said, I prefer how she handled it in season 1. :P Especially since by that point she had more friends to lose, a guy she'd grown closer to all the time, AND a future daughter that she knew she'd lose if she let things stay the way they were/got killed herself. You'd think she'd be more passionate, not less...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:44 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
i find it ridiculous right now,but i felt touched while watching both endings ^_^'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:46 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
No need to do it for the 3rd time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:50 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membership
I love the finale of Season 1, it's one of my favorite scenes of Sailor Moon ever done and I think it's so powerful! I think the two scenes are working on the same formula, though. Moon always wants to save/purify those who had been tainted by dark energy, which she did for basically all of Season 1 (and every season after). But Beryl wasn't tainted or manipulated by Dark Energy; she willingly became a servant of Metalia and welcomed the energy into her body. There was nothing to purify, and she'd already battled with them (well her mother did), so she needed to be destroyed.

Galaxia, on the other hand, became the character she was in Stars because she'd tried, to the best of her capability, to purify the galaxy of Chaos. Her motives were pure, and Usagi knew this, so she purified her just like she always does, and didn't sacrifice Galaxia's life to do like she's done in every season- even in the Season 1 finale when she purified Endymion.

It's really the same formula it's always been, except the Stars finale illustrated that instead of becoming more vengeful/hateful, Sailor Moon's capacity for love and self-sacrifice stayed the same, or grew even larger.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:21 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Serena-Hime wrote:
I love the finale of Season 1, it's one of my favorite scenes of Sailor Moon ever done and I think it's so powerful! I think the two scenes are working on the same formula, though. Moon always wants to save/purify those who had been tainted by dark energy, which she did for basically all of Season 1 (and every season after). But Beryl wasn't tainted or manipulated by Dark Energy; she willingly became a servant of Metalia and welcomed the energy into her body. There was nothing to purify, and she'd already battled with them (well her mother did), so she needed to be destroyed.

Galaxia, on the other hand, became the character she was in Stars because she'd tried, to the best of her capability, to purify the galaxy of Chaos. Her motives were pure, and Usagi knew this, so she purified her just like she always does, and didn't sacrifice Galaxia's life to do like she's done in every season- even in the Season 1 finale when she purified Endymion.

It's really the same formula it's always been, except the Stars finale illustrated that instead of becoming more vengeful/hateful, Sailor Moon's capacity for love and self-sacrifice stayed the same, or grew even larger.

She also purified Nehelenia in the final half of the Dreams arc, and the Spectre Sisters, and the tree.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:19 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
That image is wrong to begin with because Usagi never battled Metalia with some super hateful feelings or vengeance. If you watch her speech to dead Mamoru you'll realize she's beyond that and that her only will is to fullfil her (and her fallen friends) final mission which is to save the world because she's the only one to do that. In a way she's like her manga counterpart: ready to comitt suicide except in completely different situation (by using the Crystal to save the planet)

On the other hand in Stars Usagi was dealing with Galaxia: a good person who tried to be the savior but in reality has become a tool and a victim. Usagi wasnt trying to save or help Chaos, she was trying to help Galaxia.

Also as others said she was more mature at that point and just more experienced as a senshi and as a princess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:02 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
I have always been under the impression that things with Beryl were more personal.

Beryl destroyed the Moon Kingdom and everything that Usagi cherished and loved. Beryl would have proudly destroyed everything without Metalia's help if she could. She was a witch in love with Endymion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:01 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Not at all comparable. Beryl was evil on her own accord albeit for sympathetic reasons. Where as Sailor Galaxia was basically possessed by Chaos and not in control of her actions.

Last edited by MariaTenebre on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:57 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membership
I see your point, and I agree that it's better to purify someone who is possessed by evil rather than killing them. But:
1) The way Usagi does it is rather bizarre and humiliating. It makes me feel embarassed.
2) How could she be so sure that it will work out? She hadn't got much time and power to waste, so maybe it was her only chance to do something. She risked the entire universe for the sake of saving Galaxia.
3) What if her girls and Tuxedo Kamen hadn't been resurrected after? Who would be responsible? I don't think she could have just deal with it in view of their very close relationships.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:33 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I love physically strong female characters give me Xena and Buffy all day long kicking ☹ with stakes and Chakrams and I am a happy soul but that has never been Usagi and it never will be. It says so much about her character that she would literally be offered a sword to take down her enemy and not be able to swing it at someone who has literally taken everything precious to her away from her. Sailor Moon really isn't a fighter either she wasn't in her past life and from what we have seen of the future she still isn't. I mean you can rely on her to play her part in the monster of the week setting but she is always one to reach her hand out to help someone who is really in pain even if that person is her enemy. I don't know if Usagi had it to do over again if she would make the same choice but it may have just been her only option maybe she just didn't sense any good in Beryl anymore. With Galaxia in particular it would be so clear that she is innocent In the anime at least Galaxia's good heart is literally personified in Chibi Chibi given her experiences with her it would be a lot easier for her to see that Galaxia was worth saving she literally tried to insure her own defeat by setting her star seed free.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Location: Quote unquote, "A sinister looking castle known as the dark kingdom"
Other: Dork Kingdom Heir
Wait a minute, who says Beryl was literally being destroyed by Usagi? And if she was destroyed, can we be certain it was intentional? Usagi was using 'Moon Healing Escalation' on her, which generally de-youmafies people rather than disintegrating them.

Note that when she fought Endymion, she tries Moon Healing Escalation first- only when it fails does she resort, flinchingly, to Moon Tiara Action, which disintegrates things.

So I always figured she was trying to heal Beryl in some sense, rather than simply destroying her (she also tried this on Kunzite after learning the Silver Millennium history- that bit where Endymion says the people on Earth were brainwashed-, but he resisted it, probably because he was bitter and hopeless after Zoisite's death). If nothing was left afterwards, that suggests Beryl was already gone, essentially, and that there was nothing left to heal.

But besides that, she also seems to reset major things about the world during the end of season 1. The damage from the disasters on the news no longer seemed to be in place, nobody but Luna and Artemis remembered what happened, Ami and the others were all alive (as well as debatably Usagi herself, who seemed to fall over dead while doing all this)... one could theorize that she literally rolled back the clock here in some ways, since certain scenes from episode 1 seem to re-happen with slight variations.

So if she did heal Beryl successfully, would we even know? She could be alive somewhere in the background, being a normal human, and it just doesn't come up.

In any case, though, it seems very in-character that Usagi would want to help Galaxia. She wants to help pretty much everybody (at least once she understands what their deal is); it's kind of her thing. Especially as she matures and understands more herself.

That said... I do kinda wonder what was up with Usagi's transformation in the finale. I think basically, Galaxia sort of halfway destroyed Usagi's Sailor form, but failed to kill her (or destroy her wings), so that's why she's naked. That's my best guess.

Speaking of this ending though, I'm still trying to figure out what Chibi-Chibi's deal is in the anime continuity. So like, she's Galaxia's star seed sort of maybe? She turns into the light of hope sword that Usagi doesn't really use and sorta gets broken? Then she has that 'Sailor Cosmos'-y weird silhouette vision, and that vision has heart-shaped odango like Chibi Chibi. And then during the ending scenes Chibi Chibi is flying around with reformed Galaxia. Is Galaxia's star seed semi-sapient and runs around separate from her normally, or what exactly?

For that matter... if the Silver Crystal is Usagi's Star Seed, what was Queen Serenity doing using it? Is it inherited from generation to generation as a separate object? That'd be my guess, but it's not really explained in the anime.

In any case, I did like this ending; I like every season, although SuperS starts off kinda bad-ish. But I can safely say I'm way more obsessed with Season 1 than with everything else, even though Professor Tomoe is pretty much awesome.

Also, I agree that there's something more personal about the history with the Dark Kingdom, on a bunch of levels. Had Beryl's actions been different, there might still be a moon kingdom.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:37 am 
Stella
Stella
Mitsukara wrote:
Wait a minute, who says Beryl was literally being destroyed by Usagi? And if she was destroyed, can we be certain it was intentional? Usagi was using 'Moon Healing Escalation' on her, which generally de-youmafies people rather than disintegrating them.

Note that when she fought Endymion, she tries Moon Healing Escalation first- only when it fails does she resort, flinchingly, to Moon Tiara Action, which disintegrates things.

So I always figured she was trying to heal Beryl in some sense, rather than simply destroying her (she also tried this on Kunzite after learning the Silver Millennium history- that bit where Endymion says the people on Earth were brainwashed-, but he resisted it, probably because he was bitter and hopeless after Zoisite's death). If nothing was left afterwards, that suggests Beryl was already gone, essentially, and that there was nothing left to heal.

But besides that, she also seems to reset major things about the world during the end of season 1. The damage from the disasters on the news no longer seemed to be in place, nobody but Luna and Artemis remembered what happened, Ami and the others were all alive (as well as debatably Usagi herself, who seemed to fall over dead while doing all this)... one could theorize that she literally rolled back the clock here in some ways, since certain scenes from episode 1 seem to re-happen with slight variations.

So if she did heal Beryl successfully, would we even know? She could be alive somewhere in the background, being a normal human, and it just doesn't come up.

In any case, though, it seems very in-character that Usagi would want to help Galaxia. She wants to help pretty much everybody (at least once she understands what their deal is); it's kind of her thing. Especially as she matures and understands more herself.

That said... I do kinda wonder what was up with Usagi's transformation in the finale. I think basically, Galaxia sort of halfway destroyed Usagi's Sailor form, but failed to kill her (or destroy her wings), so that's why she's naked. That's my best guess.

Speaking of this ending though, I'm still trying to figure out what Chibi-Chibi's deal is in the anime continuity. So like, she's Galaxia's star seed sort of maybe? She turns into the light of hope sword that Usagi doesn't really use and sorta gets broken? Then she has that 'Sailor Cosmos'-y weird silhouette vision, and that vision has heart-shaped odango like Chibi Chibi. And then during the ending scenes Chibi Chibi is flying around with reformed Galaxia. Is Galaxia's star seed semi-sapient and runs around separate from her normally, or what exactly?

For that matter... if the Silver Crystal is Usagi's Star Seed, what was Queen Serenity doing using it? Is it inherited from generation to generation as a separate object? That'd be my guess, but it's not really explained in the anime.

In any case, I did like this ending; I like every season, although SuperS starts off kinda bad-ish. But I can safely say I'm way more obsessed with Season 1 than with everything else, even though Professor Tomoe is pretty much awesome.

Also, I agree that there's something more personal about the history with the Dark Kingdom, on a bunch of levels. Had Beryl's actions been different, there might still be a moon kingdom.

Well to answer some of your questions no I do not think that Sailor Galaxia's Star Seed normally runs around on her own. I honestly don't see Chibi Chibi as really a person but more or less a form that Sailor Galaxia's Star Seed took to relate to Sailor Moon. As for the Silver Crystal my guess is that each member of the Moon Matriarchy has Star Seeds that can manifest the Silver Crystal.

Also I would add that for the Classic finale that Princess Serenity used Moon Healing Escalation as a kind of healing force field on herself. However the attack that she used against Super Beryl was basically that combined attack with the 4 Guardian Senshi. Which was an offensive attack.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:02 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
=^_^=

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:07 pm 
Luna
Luna
I love the Stars ending. It's so epic, heartfelt and beautiful. I never understood why people didn't like it. Sailor Moon always tried to redeem the villains whenever possible. Even in season 1, where it was more common to have villains killed, she wasn't the one who killed them. When it comes to Beryl, I think the reason she was wasn't redeemed is because she wasn't shown to be human. We never got to see a human Beryl like in the manga. Even in Silver Millennium she's shown in the same monstrous form. In later seasons, they writers took a different approach and had the big villains redeemed, which in my opinion was better and boded well with the show's themes of love and peace. I do think they later regretted not redeeming Beryl and that's why we got the video game where she was.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:55 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It's way less ridiculous when you read the manga and understand what the anime was trying to adapt at the end of Stars. I like the Sailor Stars ending just fine, but it's clear that they were trying to hit the same resonant, philosophical notes at the end of the manga and the signals got crossed when they started making up their own plot.

You can tell, btw, that they started making up their own plot rather late in the game. Lots of characters in the show note the resemblance between Usagi and Chibi Chibi, with some people going so far as to say that their connection seems much deeper than just being sisters (which was the cover story they went with). Ultimately she ended up being Galaxia's Star Seed which really implies that they were going for the Sailor Cosmos story until the relative last minute and replaced it with something else when they realized they wouldn't be able to properly adapt the entire story.

As for the Silver Crystal: in the manga, we see Queen Serenity travel to the Galaxy Cauldron in the distant past with a tiny "husk" of a star. It's implied that she created the Silver Crystal then. So it's likely a special Sailor Crystal.