* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Licensor explains why the SM brand is hard to work with
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:47 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Toei Animation's licensor agent in Brazil, Luiz Angelotti, gave a interview to a brazilian otaku website about the future of Toei's properties in Brazil.
When asked about Sailor Moon, he explains the following at 23:36.
"There's much exigence coming from the authors. I can get approvals for Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and One Piece related projects within a month. (...) And another month later, these products are already approved for release on the market, depending on the speed of the manufacturing company here in Brazil. With Sailor Moon, I have a contractual term that asks me to wait from six months to one year so a business proposal can be approved. And six months to one year to approve any product that is presented."

Basically, Naoko's involvement within the franchise results in business deals waaaay slower than other anime properties. He also mentions that in order to Brazil air Crystal on TV, it needs to re-air the classic seasons first.

Last edited by kevoso96 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Licensor explains why the SM brand is hard to work with
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I wonder if that’s the same case for every country or if that was just in their specific contract. France aired Sailor Moon crystal season 1 & 2 on tv and they didn’t re-air classic beforehand, despite even giving Stars a dub 2 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:19 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
snowgeisha wrote:
I wonder if that’s the same case for every country or if that was just in their specific contract. France aired Sailor Moon crystal season 1 & 2 on tv and they didn’t re-air classic beforehand, despite even giving Stars a dub 2 years ago.

Toei makes different demands according to regions/countries.
I don't know much, but I've heard they ordered the US to air Dragon Ball Kai Final Chapters before Super. While in Latin America, DBKFC actually debuted after Super.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:06 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Since he's talking about anime, when he says "authors" (assuming that is an accurate translation) are you certain he means Naoko specifically (and exclusively) and not (her plus) the anime executives (possibly including directors, writers, producers)? Because while Sailor Moon certainly seems to get 'processed' a lot more slowly compared to other anime, I still don't see why or how Naoko alone would have so much control over the anime. The manga, sure. New adaptations of the manga, of course. But the 90s anime? Especially when the release of the manga (and, for that matter, the release of the anime in other markets) doesn't seem to be as slow moving. I don't know; it seems weird that Naoko would have such power over the 90s anime and that she would cause delays in its release in select markets, so I find such allegations suspect.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:29 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I feel like it's more of Toei thing, if anything. Only because I've known how difficult they can difficult to work with. I've heard from various companies. Not sure why they're extra protective/stingy over Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:40 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
I put that on Toei if anything, SM really ought to get a new studio/company

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:07 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
MementoNepenthe wrote:
Since he's talking about anime, when he says "authors" (assuming that is an accurate translation) are you certain he means Naoko specifically (and exclusively) and not (her plus) the anime executives (possibly including directors, writers, producers)? Because while Sailor Moon certainly seems to get 'processed' a lot more slowly compared to other anime, I still don't see why or how Naoko alone would have so much control over the anime. The manga, sure. New adaptations of the manga, of course. But the 90s anime? Especially when the release of the manga (and, for that matter, the release of the anime in other markets) doesn't seem to be as slow moving. I don't know; it seems weird that Naoko would have such power over the 90s anime and that she would cause delays in its release in select markets, so I find such allegations suspect.

He actually said "autoras", which means female for "authors". He apparently forgot that Sailor Moon was created by just one person, but his gendering of the word means he was referring to a woman.
Representatives from Selecta Vision at Spain also said they have been waiting for years Naoko's approval to release the classic anime on DVD/BD. They mentioned that on various interviews. http://ramenparados.com/sailor-moon-crystal-dificil-llegue-espana/
So yes, she holds such power.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:40 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
So all this time Naoko was actually Sailor Galaxia...Who would have thought. She seems to have a lot of power over it. I wonder if she is actually responsible for the 2014 delay or whatever it was. I can't believe it's been 3 years. Time flies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:52 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
kevoso96 wrote:
He actually said "autoras", which means female for "authors". He apparently forgot that Sailor Moon was created by just one person, but his gendering of the word means he was referring to a woman.

He could also be referring to Kodansha since they're also involved in the negotiations. They were one of the reasons Viz picked up both shows over here according to this Japanese article (Translation 1 / 2).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 am 
Luna
Luna
Maybe he was referring to the aliens in the sky. :roll:

He obviously meant Naoko which shouldn't come as a surprise by now since we've had multiple reports from various, credible sources of the exact same business practices and dealings from her. I've had enough with all the Naoko apologists on this board. Naoko fans need to get it though their thick skulls that their "Queen" is not this little perfect angel they made her up to be. They need to stop playing the gender card, calling people misogynistic whenever anyone dares to criticize her and her behavior. Being a woman doesn't make her above reproach, for crying out loud.

But I'm sure some will still complain about Naoko "bashing" and have this thread locked or cauldroned.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:36 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I mean...there is a lot of obnoxious, unnecessary Naoko bashing on this forum, and some of it does genuinely come across as misogynist. It's not that she's beyond reproach (because she's a woman or for any other reason), because she certainly isn't, but the ways in which she's criticized are sometimes OTT or hypocritical.

In any case, if she does have this supreme authority over the 90s anime and is really particular/demanding/slow-moving about it...that's whatever to me. That doesn't make her a bad person. If that's her business style, that's her business style. If Toei gave her control over the 90s anime, that was their choice, and she can manage it as she sees fit. BUT I do think it would be weird for her to seek and exercise such control over the 90s anime and cause it to be delayed in Latin American / Spanish markets when there don't seem to have been such issues in other markets where the 90s anime (and Crystal) are being re-released or released for the first time. (Unless she hates Latinx and Hispanic people for some reason? :lol:) Same goes for the re(-re-(re-))lease of the manga. I find it somewhat difficult to believe that a woman who is supposedly so controlling of this franchise would tell the musical producers they could do whatever they wanted, and would be seemingly content with Crystal. (Not to mention, doesn't she love her some bootleg goods? I don't know that a control freak businesswoman would be okay with that. See: Taylor Swift.) That to me suggests a woman who isn't all that controlling/fussy about how her work is adapted, which further suggests someone who wouldn't be demanding over how a 25 year old anime gets marketed overseas.

So.... It's not that I refuse to believe Naoko is this Queen Bee responsible for making demands and causing delays... It's just that if that is the case, it raises a lot of questions for me. And because I have those questions, I also question whether or not these executives making these 'allegations' are not simply misinformed or scapegoating, because it just makes more sense to me that it would be executives from Toei and Kodansha causing any hiccups, not Naoko (at least, not *just* Naoko).

To reiterate: I'm not lionizing Naoko. If she is a control freak, I'm not gonna hate on her for that. She do what she do. I just find claims that she's 100% responsible for everything wrong with the franchise and how its marketed overseas questionable. If that makes me an "apologist" then 8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:37 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:

I also thought she wouldnt have that much power over the 90s anime untill i've heard she was the one to choose the VIZ dub voice actors. Apparently she does

Which is also in contrary to another popular belief that she doesnt like the 90s anime (which also seemed false to me, specially because of her comments in the original 18 manga volumes)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:47 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
SailorSugababe wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:

I also thought she wouldnt have that much power over the 90s anime untill i've heard she was the one to choose the VIZ dub voice actors. Apparently she does

Which is also in contrary to another popular belief that she doesnt like the 90s anime (which also seemed false to me, specially because of her comments in the original 18 manga volumes)

VIZ merely said that Naoko approved their voice actors, but they never clarified what they meant by that. It could be they sent Naoko multiple audition tapes for each character and she cast the actors she liked, or it could be VIZ cast the roles, sent recordings to Naoko, and she was just like "I have no objections." (And was that something they were contractually required to do, or did they do it as a courtesy/publicity stunt so they could say "Our dub cast is Naoko-approved!" ?) I'm inclined to believe it's the latter because I don't see why Naoko would care about or seek involvement in the casting of a dub, and she doesn't seem to have been involved in the casting for any other dub.

Also, VIZ has said or at least intimated that they were bound to use terms from the current manga translation ("Evil spirits be exorcised," "legendary Silver Crystal," etc), but we don't know if that 'order' came from Toei, Kodansha, or Naoko.

And then there's the translation of "Moonlight Densetsu." Did they choose to consult the original lyricist and respect their translation wishes, or was that something mandated by Toei? And if Naoko were really so controlling over the 90s anime, why doesn't she seem to have made any translation demands over the songs for which she wrote the lyrics?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:53 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:

VIZ merely said that Naoko approved their voice actors, but they never clarified what they meant by that. It could be they sent Naoko multiple audition tapes for each character and she cast the actors she liked, or it could be VIZ cast the roles, sent recordings to Naoko, and she was just like "I have no objections." (And was that something they were contractually required to do, or did they do it as a courtesy/publicity stunt so they could say "Our dub cast is Naoko-approved!" ?) I'm inclined to believe it's the latter because I don't see why Naoko would care about or seek involvement in the casting of a dub, and she doesn't seem to have been involved in the casting for any other dub.

Also, VIZ has said or at least intimated that they were bound to use terms from the current manga translation ("Evil spirits be exorcised," "legendary Silver Crystal," etc), but we don't know if that 'order' came from Toei, Kodansha, or Naoko.

And then there's the translation of "Moonlight Densetsu." Did they choose to consult the original lyricist and respect their translation wishes, or was that something mandated by Toei? And if Naoko were really so controlling over the 90s anime, why doesn't she seem to have made any translation demands over the songs for which she wrote the lyrics?

I dont know but there's this
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/467475712518414336

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:15 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Which isn't really accurate/honest. The original dub cast live in Canada; Viz does their dubbing in LA. Different countries, different unions. They were never going to bring back original VAs. I doubt they ever considered it or ran that possibility past Naoko/Toei. They merely led fans on for a while by teasing the possibility of bringing back some original VAs before finally admitting that they wanted to use all new people. I mean, when they did that big 20th anniversary panel with the original dub cast at Anime Expo in 2014, Viz had their big panel with their dub cast the same day and didn't even tell the original dub cast about that beforehand. Viz has been pretty shady about certain things from the beginning.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:23 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
kevoso96 wrote:
exigence

I have learned a new word today. Had to google for definition. :shocked:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:58 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
kevoso96 wrote:
He also mentions that in order to Brazil air Crystal on TV, it needs to re-air the classic seasons first.

Wow. :ohmy:

TOEI wants to erase the DIC dub for the new generation. :oh:

But I still want to see Toonmaker :usagi:. :ohdear:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:25 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
Actually dose makes sense she would have some control,. If Sailor moon was a complete original anime. As in toei made the characters, and storyuline . She wouldn't had any control ,but since they didn't. They had said they want anime with five girls ,. ( some says tv ashi) Than it was more joint projrct . The she made the characters, and story . It was stil probably consider mostly her creation or kodansha s .(I know her staff helped)So basically Toei has rights to the series, Still they will have to need Naokos improvement,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:05 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
Everything the OP said about licensing anything "Sailor Moon" in Brazil is true.

I didn't even watch the video. I am aware of the difficulties of licensing "Sailor Moon" not only in Brazil, but also Latin America. :o

There have been tons of discussions here about how difficult it was to release those DVDs in Mexico and, as far as I am aware, Towers Entertainment did not release all of the seasons because the DVDs were overpriced and nobody could afford them. The executives of Towers Entertainment also said that they could not dub the ED songs, such as "Princess Moon" because Naoko did not allow them. :o

The owners of the publishing company that published the "Sailor Moon" manga in Brazil spent, I believe, more than a decade, trying to convince Naoko to let them do it. In order to publish "Sailor Moon," they had to impress her by using the best paper available in the market to print the manga. As far as I am aware, the Brazilian edition of the manga is nearly flawless and the paper is allegedly superior to that used to print the "Perfect" edition in Japan. :o

By all means, I am not vilifying Naoko. She is the owner of her franchise and she can choose to do whatever she wants with it. If I were an author, I know I would be very demanding.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:29 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Clow wrote:
The owners of the publishing company that published the "Sailor Moon" manga in Brazil spent, I believe, more than a decade, trying to convince Naoko to let them do it. In order to publish "Sailor Moon," they had to impress her by using the best paper available in the market to print the manga. As far as I am aware, the Brazilian edition of the manga is nearly flawless and the paper is allegedly superior to that used to print the "Perfect" edition in Japan. :o

I don't doubt that that's true, but I have to wonder why she'd hold Brazil of all places to such a high standard and not other markets. Is there any possible logical reason for that or is it just arbitrary nonsense? I wish some hard-hitting journalist in Japan would interview Naoko and ask her about these things to get her side of the story, or even Osabu's.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:47 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I don't doubt that that's true, but I have to wonder why she'd hold Brazil of all places to such a high standard and not other markets. Is there any possible logical reason for that or is it just arbitrary nonsense? I wish some hard-hitting journalist in Japan would interview Naoko and ask her about these things to get her side of the story, or even Osabu's.

I think she has a business model.

People in Latin America illegally download anime and manga. This is a problem here in North America, as well, but I think that in Latin America and the Caribbean the problem is more serious because people are poor and a manga or a DVD in those countries cost a small fortune.

TOEI and Brazilian companies released many anime titles on DVD (e.g. Saint Seiya) for a price that is "fair." They tried to release "Sailor Moon" and it flopped because the DVD only had 3 or 4 episodes and the price was outrageous (according to what I have understood from fans).

My impression is that Naoko wants the manga and the DVDs to feel like luxurious products. People in Latin America are poor and they are going to pirate anime and manga titles, even if official releases are available, so my impression is that Naoko wants to lure people into buying something that is not available through illegal torrents. How do you do that? By providing fans with a luxurious experience.

Will that business model work? Only a privileged few will be able to buy those products, I guess, and the products will flop much like they did in Mexico because they were allegedly overpriced.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:56 pm 
Luna
Luna
^It sounds to me that Naoko is either profoundly ignorant on how foreign markets work, believing that the business strategies that work in Japan or Europe can be applied everywhere the same or a greedy, ruthless capitalist trying to squeeze out every penny out of licensing the property, much to the detriment of the fans she supposedly loves (since she'd rather not give the license at all than offer it at a lower price in certain markets).

Last edited by Sailor Starlight on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:04 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Clow wrote:
My impression is that Naoko wants the manga and the DVDs to feel like luxurious products. People in Latin America are poor and they are going to pirate anime and manga titles, even if official releases are available, so my impression is that Naoko wants to lure people into buying something that is not available through illegal torrents. How do you do that? By providing fans with a luxurious experience.

Will that business model work? Only a privileged few will be able to buy those products, I guess, and the products will flop much like they did in Mexico because they were allegedly overpriced.

We all know Naoko gets a lot of stress from hard daily work, and we all know that she has only one way to relieve her stress. If those Brazilian fans can't afford to buy at least a couple new Ferraris for Naoko, they aren't worthy to be called true fans. What a bunch of ungrateful fans this fandom is made of. :zoid:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:10 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
She's a manga writer with a background in pharmacology, so I'd say she's vastly ignorant about good business strategies rather than say she's a greedy, ruthless capitalist. She certainly loves her expensive cars, designer clothes, and luxury goods, so I can see her wanting Sailor Moon to be treated as a luxury brand, oblivious to the fact that other people aren't going to view/treat a kids' series that way. Of course, this approach seems to be working in Japan. I think it would also work in America and Europe, yet that's not really the strategy that's been employed here and in Europe. So to employ such a strategy in a much poorer market (if that is indeed what's happening) makes terrible business sense. Someone at Toei/Kodansha should step in and show how the way to combat piracy in such a market is to quickly release official, inexpensive products, not try to tempt nonexistent rich people into buying luxury Sailor Moon merchandise.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:11 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
^It would explain. I mean, it is a theory.

Many TOEI-affiliated authors (Akira Toriyama and Masami Kurumada) lowered the prices of their DVDs and mangas, so that fans from underdeveloped and developing countries could purchase them. A "Saint Seiya" DVD in Brazil, from my understanding, is quite affordable and has the same price as a regular DVD. In fact, "Saint Seiya" was such a hit in Brazil that fans can buy individual DVDs or a boxset. The boxset, from my understanding, is quite affordable and has the same price as a regular boxset.

"Sailor Moon" fans have been begging for a "Sailor Moon" boxset for over two decades now, I believe, but licensing the product is extremely difficult. Licensing and releasing the manga was very difficult. Of all mangas released in Brazil, I think "Sailor Moon" is the only one that has the feeling of an exclusive, luxurious product.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:19 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Clow wrote:
Everything the OP said about licensing anything "Sailor Moon" in Brazil is true.

I didn't even watch the video. I am aware of the difficulties of licensing "Sailor Moon" not only in Brazil, but also Latin America. :o

There have been tons of discussions here about how difficult it was to release those DVDs in Mexico and, as far as I am aware, Towers Entertainment did not release all of the seasons because the DVDs were overpriced and nobody could afford them. The executives of Towers Entertainment also said that they could not dub the ED songs, such as "Princess Moon" because Naoko did not allow them. :o

By all means, I am not vilifying Naoko. She is the owner of her franchise and she can choose to do whatever she wants with it. If I were an author, I know I would be very demanding.

I would watch the video if I were you. He explains why TV Record cancelled Sailor Moon and says Toei is analyzing the possibility of a redub.
It's worth noting Classic's dubbed tapes are lost and R's are damaged.
Since Daniela hardly works as a voice actress anymore and is limited to her family's studio only, that would mean Marli coming back :happy:
Some voice actors stated they voiced the R movie back in 2013. The cast was the following: Marli, Melissa, Cristina, Isabel and Priscilla.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I do wonder why Brazil doesn't just import the Portuguese dub? I know mainland and Brazilian Portuguese have some differences, but I don't think Brazilians would have trouble understanding the European dub, would they? I'd thinking making the Euro Portuguese dub "work more" (so to speak) would be the best way of maximizing profits as far as Naoko/Toei are concerned, but maybe I'm wrong?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:59 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I do wonder why Brazil doesn't just import the Portuguese dub? I know mainland and Brazilian Portuguese have some differences, but I don't think Brazilians would have trouble understanding the European dub, would they? I'd thinking making the Euro Portuguese dub "work more" (so to speak) would be the best way of maximizing profits as far as Naoko/Toei are concerned, but maybe I'm wrong?

Brazilians don't tolerate the iberian accent, just like Latin-Americans with spanish.
And plus, Brazil has a tradition in dubs Portugal doesn't have and importing a dub where like half a dozen actors voiced the entire cast would be atrocious.
Portuguese dubbing was at its beginnings when they dubbed SM, until then they imported brazilian dubs for TV shows and movies. And even to date, when they voice a animated series for TV, they rely on really small casts. The same actress voices Mercury and Venus in the PT dub of Crystal. Same for Mars/Luna and Jupiter/Chibimoon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:15 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I do wonder why Brazil doesn't just import the Portuguese dub? I know mainland and Brazilian Portuguese have some differences, but I don't think Brazilians would have trouble understanding the European dub, would they?

NO WAY, as someone who has a degree in Portuguese/English/Spanish, I can assert that the Portuguese spoken in Portugal is completely different than that spoken in Brazil. Accent, formal and informal speech, vocabulary... all *very* different.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:21 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Sure, but that doesn't mean Brazilians don't understand mainland Portuguese. My parents are Portuguese and my godparents are Brazilian and they never had any trouble talking to each other in their respective dialects. I understand that Brazilian SM fans would prefer to have their own dub, but if it would help lower prices, maybe they could tolerate sharing the one dub? Or, conversely, perhaps Toei should have just let Brazil dub Crystal (and re-dub the 90s anime) and then export that to Portugal rather than let Portugal do its own dub, especially if there's a history of Portugal airing Brazilian-dubbed content?