Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: INQUIRY: What order is best to watch anime in?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:12 pm 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
:blush:

Hi!! Can someone tell me the best order to watch the anime in?

I have watched the original and tried to start Sailor Moon R but it seems a bit off putting.. thought maybe there's a better way?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: INQUIRY: What order is best to watch anime in?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Uhh well its meant to go

Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon R
Sailor Moon S
Sailor Moon SuperS
Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars

Are you not liking R? because I have to say that its pretty essential to watch it all in order. There is like no Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya way to watch it like original air order or chronological and there is definitely no Sailor Moon Kai filler free version of the show. I mean a lot of stuff happens in R and if you don't watch it then you will most likely be confused. The third series (S) is definitely the one that is most popular among the fandom but again I wouldn't recommend skipping to it. Everyone is different and has their favorite seasons so if I was doing a rewatch or something I would do it differently from other people but thats having seen it in its entirety already.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:03 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Location: Quote unquote, "A sinister looking castle known as the dark kingdom"
Other: Dork Kingdom Heir
It definitely makes a lot more sense to start from the beginning. You want season 1, which doesn't have any secondary title- it's just "Sailor Moon". "R" is season 2, "S" is season 3, "SuperS" is season 4, and "Stars" is season 5. I have no idea why they used such a strange naming scheme (nor do I know what the letters mean), but it confused me at first too, so don't worry ^_^' Also, "Sailor Moon Crystal" is a new show with a separate continuity.

(Season 1 is sometimes called the "Dark Kingdom" arc, and the full Japanese title is "Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon", AKA "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon" in recent American releases. The first episode has villains named Queen Beryl and Jadeite in it.)

Season 1 is 46 episodes long, and I think they're all pretty good (and you see more of Usagi's gradual character growth over time by watching them all), but the most essential early ones are probably:

- Episode 1 (shows how Usagi first becomes Sailor Moon and meets Tuxedo Mask)
- Episode 8 (introduces Ami / Sailor Mercury)
- Episode 10 (introduces Rei / Sailor Mars)

If you are watching the old DiC Dub, though, the one that introduces Amy is episode 5 and the one that introduces Rei is episode 7 (episodes 2 and 6 were cut in that version).

Some of my other early favorites (using the Japanese episode numbers) are 12 (it has an interesting side character), 13 (which concludes the Jadeite story arc), 14 (which introduces the characters Nephrite and Zoisite), 19 (which is generally pretty memorable), and 23 + 24 (which are basically a dramatic two-parter ending the Nephrite story arc). 25 is good too, and introduces Makoto / Sailor Jupiter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:58 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: CLAMP PR
blondibear_17 wrote:
Uhh well its meant to go

Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon R
Sailor Moon S
Sailor Moon SuperS

I second that. The first season is the best season. You may choose to skip SuperS, but not the first season.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:09 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
Clow wrote:
blondibear_17 wrote:
Uhh well its meant to go

Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon R
Sailor Moon S
Sailor Moon SuperS

I second that. The first season is the best season. You may choose to skip SuperS, but not the first season.

I've only seen the first three, but I like R best (except for the Cardian arc).

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:02 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I’m perplexed by this question. Watch it in order.

If you don’t like the Makai tree arc (the first 13 episodes of R) you can skip it as nothing of importance happens aside from Usagi’s new transformation brooch and cutie moon rod.

SuperS is also easy to skip if you want since other than the guardian senshi getting their super power up nothing else carries over. But if you skip SuperS you might as well skip the first 6 episodes of Sailor Stars that finish out the storyline.

However if your intent is to watch the entire anime then watch it in order.