Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Makoto's earrings: roses or sasanqua camellias?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:06 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Hello to everyone!
I recently learned that Makoto's favourite flower are not roses as I thought: according to the manga (act 31, Mugen 5) she says her favourite flower is sasanko which I think it's another way of saying sasanqua. I googled this and this is a type of camellia, the camellia sasanqua which is actually very similar to a rose. The 2012 manga edition, english version, confirms that clearly: Makoto says her favourite flower is sasanqua camellia. This seems relatively consensual.

My point is: are her earrings really pink roses or in fact are they camellia sasanqua? Did 'we' translated well the Materials Collection edition where it's said Naoko wrote 'pink rose earrings'? More: Her favourite tea flavour seems rose tea, the same 2012 manga edition says that. But is it really rose tea or sasanka camellia tea? It seems camellias are pretty popular and traditional in Japan, specially sasanqua's. As it is said in wikipedia:

«Camellia sasanqua, with common name sasanqua camellia, is a species of Camellia native to China and Japan [...]. In Japan, it is not considered to be a true Camellia as the Japanese call it Sazanka (サザンカ, 山茶花) [...] It has a long history of cultivation in Japan for practical rather than decorative reasons. The leaves are used to make tea [...]»

If my thoughts are true, did this happened by translations errors (then and now) or was this a way to make things easier for the western world public? How accurate are english translations? Does anyone knows a bit japanese to see the originals?Thoughts, anyone?

Attachments:
sasanqua camellia.jpg
sasanqua camellia.jpg [ 29.09 KiB | Viewed 577 times ]

Last edited by templariuS on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Makoto's earrings: roses or sasanqua camellias?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:26 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Location: Quote unquote, "A sinister looking castle known as the dark kingdom"
Other: Dork Kingdom Heir
I don't actually know, but the overt mention in the manga makes me think it's likely.

Also, it looks pretty similar to me! (I am not an herbologist, however.) Here's how they look in the anime:

Attachments:
Earrings.PNG
Earrings.PNG [ 133.86 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:34 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
In the Materials Collection they're described as being roses. Also, in I believe the fifth episode 5 of Sailor Stars, when Usagi and Jupiter are in that field of flowers, Usagi sees Jupiter's earrings, they remind her of Tuxedo Mask's roses, and that snaps her out of her daze. So yeah. I think it's safe to say they're roses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:52 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Now I'm picturing Usagi recounting to Makoto more details about how the earring helped her, after the adventure with Nehellenia is over, and then she gets to the part about it reminding her o a rose and Makoto's like "Actually, they're camellias" and Usagi is like "bwuh ?_?"

But yeah, can confirm that the Materials Collection says they're roses (according to the Miss Dream translation):

Attachments:
rose earrings.PNG
rose earrings.PNG [ 29.03 KiB | Viewed 500 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:09 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Mitsukara wrote:
Now I'm picturing Usagi recounting to Makoto more details about how the earring helped her, after the adventure with Nehellenia is over, and then she gets to the part about it reminding her o a rose and Makoto's like "Actually, they're camellias" and Usagi is like "bwuh ?_?"

But yeah, can confirm that the Materials Collection says they're roses (according to the Miss Dream translation):

Can you please tell me which episode or chapter is that scene where Mako-chan says it's camellias? :o

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:21 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
well, Mako does specifically say her favorite flowers were the sasanqua camellias and it reminds her of her sempai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:37 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
templariuS wrote:
Mitsukara wrote:

Can you please tell me which episode or chapter is that scene where Mako-chan says it's camellias? :o

Mitsukara was just joking. Mako never says her earrings are camellias...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:54 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Either way, there are two other times I recall I have some doubts about this: does anyone understand Japanese to know if her belt in the Manga is rose belt? And in her Manga chapter with Petz, does she really say she's drinking Rose Tea as we see in English translations?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Yes, Mako says she loves rose tea. I don't even think there is such a thing as camellia tea, sasanqua or otherwise.

Naoko only describes Jupiter's belt as having potpourri in the little orb thing. She doesn't mention roses in association with it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:00 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I don't even think there is such a thing as camellia tea, sasanqua or otherwise

According to Wikipedia it's pretty common as I posted in my first post: "It has a long history of cultivation in Japan for practical rather than decorative reasons. The leaves are used to make tea [...]"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:46 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
templariuS wrote:

Perhaps I should've said I was "imagining" rather than "picturing" (imagining a picture in my head). I was describing a hypothetical, "what-if" scene at the end of the Nehellenia arc in Sailor Stars, of what might've happened if Makoto's earrings were supposed to be camellias instead of roses and Usagi's reaction as I would imagine it, because it's an amusing mental image to me.

Sorry for the confusion :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:37 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
camellia's definition is japanese rose in many crosswords.so it's some kind of rose already :cool: :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:15 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Mitsukara wrote:

Don't mention :) I imagined if that really happened it could be Mako-chan trying to see her rose earrings as camellia's just for teasing Usagi and because she would like to imagine her special earrings to be the flower that she loves the most xD

litacan wrote:
camellia's definition is japanese rose in many crosswords.so it's some kind of rose already :cool: :)

So, I'm back at square 1 if I can say that... even when in japanese they call it rose we don't know if it's actually a rose or if it's a japanese rose (aka camellia) :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:15 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Not that it matters here but I seem to remember the DiC dub outright calling them rose earrings. Or at least Serena thought they were

I mean same dub that called pork buns donuts and daifuku chocolate cakes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:11 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
Neither roses or camellias. They are CHANEL. :keke:

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 1.10.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 1.10.26 PM.png [ 114.68 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:33 pm 
Luna
Luna
Clow wrote:
I usually find Chanel to be a very charming brand, but those earrings are hideous. They look like a last minute Vera Bradley phone in.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:46 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
flockapowpow wrote:
Clow wrote:
I usually find Chanel to be a very charming brand, but those earrings are hideous. They look like a last minute Vera Bradley phone in.

And the Chanel logo looks somewhat like a bio-hazard warning sign there. :lol:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner