Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why The Sailor Moon Live Action Show Is AWFUL!!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:54 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Hey Guys This Going To Be A Rant Of The Sailor Moon Live Action Show Also It's My Own Opinion Of Why It Sucks
1.The CGI Looks Really Lazy And Unpolished I Think The Anime Did It Better With Their Transformations But In The Live Action It Looks Really Ugly And Makes Me Think Of Power Rangers
2.They Use Luna And Artemis As Plushies That Is So Lazy I Bet They Just Buy A Black Cat From Toysrus And Just Put A Moon Sticker And Just Call It A Day.
3.Half Of The Characters Are Missing Like Where Is Sailor Uranus, Sailor Neptune, Sailor Pluto,Galaxia,The Death Busters, And I Can Go On And On
4.The Sailor Guardians Costumes Looks Really Bad And Feeled Rushed And It's Really Cringy It Looks Like Some Weeaboo Is Ready To Go To Anime Con
5.Last Reason Is That The Monsters Looks Like Nothing The Anime They Just Reminds Me Of A Power Rangers Clone And Not Sailor Moon
In Conclusion Dont Watch The Live Action Show It Is Sloppy And Rushed Just Watch The Sailor Moon 90s Anime And Sailor Moon Crystal They Are 10 Times Better Then The Live Action Garbage

Attachments:
download (3).jpg
download (3).jpg [ 7.12 KiB | Viewed 1306 times ]

Post subject: Re: Why The Sailor Moon Live Action Show Is AWFUL!!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:17 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
1.) Sailor Moon has always been based on Super Sentai (Power Ranger styled shows.) It feeling like PR is not a mistake.

2.) Yeah. This part was a little hard to swallow sometimes. They didn't have a big budget tho, and also low-key was just trying to increase merchandise sales.

3.) It's based off of the Dark Kingdom of the manga. The Outers didn't come yet. If I'm not mistaken, most Japanese shows like this air for only one season anyway. It would have been nice to see a Black Moon version of PGSM, going as far as SuperS. For some reason, I think Stars wouldn't work.

4.) The costumes were well done imo and all the Senshi retain the designs that made then unique unlike the 90s and Crystal. I mean how realistic is it supposed to be? It's a leotard with a bow, skirt, and gloves, lol.

5.) Meh. Some of the youma do look goofy but that is with any of the Japanese shows like it. Perhaps budget played a part here. It seems to me that each version of SM had it's ups and downs. I do agree that live action is not for everyone. I loved it personally. I suppose you dislike the musicals also?

Last edited by Star Angel Haruki on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:24 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I’m getting a vision in the sacred fire.

I see....I see a Sailor Moon General Discussion subforum.

(Seriously Though Why Do You Capitalize Every Word It Is Really Annoying To Read. And While You Are Entitled To Your Opinions, Your Reasons For Thinking The Live Action Series Is Awful Are Pretty Silly, And If You Think Crystal Is Ten Times Better Than PGSM, The Series Generally Held By Fans As Being The Best Incarnation Of Sailor Moon, I Don't Even Know What To Say, But You Do You!)

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:32 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
MementoNepenthe wrote:

(Seriously Though Why Do You Capitalize Every Word It Is Really Annoying To Read. And While You Are Entitled To Your Opinions, Your Reasons For Thinking The Live Action Series Is Awful Are Pretty Silly, And If You Think Crystal Is Ten Times Better Than PGSM, The Series Generally Held By Fans As Being The Best Incarnation Of Sailor Moon, I Don't Even Know What To Say, But You Do You!)

Im Saying That The 90s Anime Is Better Then The Live Action And Sailor Moon Crystal Is Better Then The Live Action

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:47 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ChibiMaster124 wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:

Im Saying That The 90s Anime Is Better Then The Live Action And Sailor Moon Crystal Is Better Then The Live Action

It looks as if Mara were pulling his forum prank again, w/ those capitalized words. :P

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:53 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ChibiMaster124 wrote:
Hey Guys This Going To Be A Rant Of The Sailor Moon Live Action Show Also It's My Own Opinion Of Why It Sucks
1.The CGI Looks Really Lazy And Unpolished I Think The Anime Did It Better With Their Transformations But In The Live Action It Looks Really Ugly And Makes Me Think Of Power Rangers

The 90s anime didn’t do it better it just translates better in animation

Quote:
2.They Use Luna And Artemis As Plushies That Is So Lazy I Bet They Just Buy A Black Cat From Toysrus And Just Put A Moon Sticker And Just Call It A Day

I hate I hated that too

Quote:
3.Half Of The Characters Are Missing Like Where Is Sailor Uranus, Sailor Neptune, Sailor Pluto,Galaxia,The Death Busters, And I Can Go On And On

This one is dumb. You are aware its only 49 episodes long and only covered the Dark Kingdom arc right? If Crystal only lasted the two series it was originally slated for would you ask where those characters went?

Quote:
4.The Sailor Guardians Costumes Looks Really Bad And Feeled Rushed And It's Really Cringy It Looks Like Some Weeaboo Is Ready To Go To Anime Con

I’m not a fan of those darn chest bows that don’t translate into live action but the costumes are not actually that bad.

Quote:
5.Last Reason Is That The Monsters Looks Like Nothing The Anime They Just Reminds Me Of A Power Rangers Clone And Not Sailor Moon
In Conclusion Dont Watch The Live Action Show It Is Sloppy And Rushed Just Watch The Sailor Moon 90s Anime And Sailor Moon Crystal They Are 10 Times Better Then The Live Action Garbage

You should look up tokusatsu genre sometime and get informed :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:38 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
I totally disagree. I don't think Sailor Moon Crystal is better than PGSM, like, at all. In fact, I think it's much worse than PGSM. Crystal has bad writing, poor characterization, and it's pace is faster than the speed of light and sound combined Crystal's CGI is also not good, that's cheap too. It is also stiff. Yasuko Kobayashi-sama is a much better than Yuuji Kobayashi. Seriously, Yuji is a terrible writer, look at how he treats everyone in Crystal. All the characters in Crystal are flat, static, and one-dimensional espiecially Usagi. I love the 90's anime and I think it's just as good as PGSM. The costumes in PGSM are done well, mostly the Senshi, Four Kings, Beryl, Tuxxy Boy.

My rant is over. It's stuff like this that make me livid! I really dislike it when fans try bring down one version of Sailor Moon, just to put other versions on a pedestal.

No version of SM is superior to the other.

Last edited by FloraKiraraHime on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:47 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
It's almost as if fans can like and not like different things in the same fandom and it can be totally ok to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:18 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Yeah, if you love the 90s anime? Cool. Hate the 90s anime? Cool. Love PGSM? Hate PGSM? Cool, cool. Love Crystal? Hate Crystal? Love the manga? The musicals? Hate the manga? The musicals? Love the dubs? Hate the dubs? Love some dubs, hate others? All that is cool.

But Going Out Of Your Way To Create A Thread Hate-Ranting About A Version Of Sailor Moon, Completely Unprompted, Is Not Cute.

And the audacity to claim the Live Action series is "Sloppy and Rushed Garbage" while praising Crystal? OP, you must be trolling.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:24 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
I don't have a problem with them creating a thread to bash PGSM. People on this forum create threads to bash Sailor Moon, Ikuhara, and Naoko all the time and no one seems to much care about it then. I just think if you want other fans to show respect to your tastes in your favorite version of the series, you should show the same respect to other fans. But it's ok to not like different versions of the show but do so in a way that is respectful to others.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:29 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
MementoNepenthe wrote:

But Going Out Of Your Way To Create A Thread Hate-Ranting About A Version Of Sailor Moon, Completely Unprompted, Is Not Cute.

And the audacity to claim the Live Action series is "Sloppy and Rushed Garbage" while praising Crystal? OP, you must be trolling.

Yes, I agree. It's not cute if you create a thread just to rant about a version of Sailor Moon you hate that isn't an anime.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:55 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Neon Genesis wrote:
I don't have a problem with them creating a thread to bash PGSM. People on this forum create threads to bash Sailor Moon, Ikuhara, and Naoko all the time and no one seems to much care about it then. I just think if you want other fans to show respect to your tastes in your favorite version of the series, you should show the same respect to other fans. But it's ok to not like different versions of the show but do so in a way that is respectful to others.

It would be one thing if this thread was entitled "Why I Dislike the Live Action Series" or "Does Anyone Else Not Like the Live Action Series?" Then it would be a thread where people who dislike that incarnation could come together and discuss what they don't like about it. That's totally fine. But this thread has a declarative, deliberately incendiary title. That, Plus The Frankly Ridiculous Reasons Given As To Why PGSM Is So Awful, make this thread seem like childish trolling, which I take issue with. I've also always been pretty vocal in criticizing posters/threads that seem to exist just for the sake of hating on Naoko. It's one thing to create threads/posts for constructive/thoughtful criticism, and another to post mindless bashing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:53 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
MementoNepenthe wrote:
It would be one thing if this thread was entitled "Why I Dislike the Live Action Series" or "Does Anyone Else Not Like the Live Action Series?" Then it would be a thread where people who dislike that incarnation could come together and discuss what they don't like about it. That's totally fine. But this thread has a declarative, deliberately incendiary title. That, Plus The Frankly Ridiculous Reasons Given As To Why PGSM Is So Awful, make this thread seem like childish trolling, which I take issue with. I've also always been pretty vocal in criticizing posters/threads that seem to exist just for the sake of hating on Naoko. It's one thing to create threads/posts for constructive/thoughtful criticism, and another to post mindless bashing.
It's great that you call those threads out but it just seems like a double standard that this forum will make constant complaints about Naoko's cars and how greedy she is and that she's a terrible writer but if someone says something bad about PGSM suddenly that's a horrible offensive thing to say.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:57 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
wow another flame war thread wonderful! I've never watched PGSM but id love to just to give my two cents on it in my eyes there is no way in hell its worse than crystal (see the new Poll in the Crystal subforum for my thoughts on it)

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:01 pm 
Luna
Luna
This thread halfway makes me want to do a full watch of PGSM.

Actually I might just make December Sailor Moon month. Watch the first series from the 90s anime then PGSM and then Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:04 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Other: Married To NQS!
MementoNepenthe wrote:

you know I'm kinda surprised PGSM doesn't have a sub forum on here you'd think on a Sailor Moon Forum there would be one XD :lol:

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:04 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
It looks as if Mara were pulling his forum prank again, w/ those capitalized words. :P

He did mention in a different thread that he had ran out of car jokes... so... :ninja:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Ryo Urawa wrote:
wow another flame war thread wonderful! I've never watched PGSM but id love to just to give my two cents on it in my eyes there is no way in hell its worse than crystal (see the new Poll in the Crystal subforum for my thoughts on it)

I dislike flame wars and flame war threads, too. I love PGSM myself, though I will admit the CGI looked great for its time. But by today's standards, it doesn't look good since the technology has advanced. The actresses for the Senshi did a fine job. Yet, the actors for the Four Generals were more experienced. One of my favorite plot twist
Spoiler: show
was Dark Mercury.
Holy cow, Mercury was threatening as a villain! So far, Rei is my favorite Senshi in this version.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:17 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Okay so a very important thing to learn here is the difference between fact and opinion. In fact, making a thread to criticize something you dislike is fine, but you have to be objective about it. Telling other people to not watch it in favor of something else isn't really contributing to a discussion...also, keep in mind PGSM was made in the early 2000's...you can't put it on the same scale as Crystal.

1.) The CGI is outdated and outright bad at parts, yes, but as Star said, it having a Power Rangers vibe is not a mistake.
2.) It would either be plushies or pure CGI that you mentioned above, they did not have the budget for one animatronic cat, let alone two.
3.) PGSM only does the Dark Kingdom Arc, or rather the first season. At this time, Pluto was guarding the time door as always and Uranus and Neptune were supposedly protecting the solar system from outside threats, residing on castles of their respective planets. Regardless, they made references to S, such as Usagi having the cosmic heart compact, and Minako having a similar attitude to Haruka and Michiru in the first half of S.
4.) Personally, I can't imagine a live action costume of Sailor Moon that wouldn't look cringe worthy. I think they do a great job with the outfits, and most of them have their own unique touch, Mars with the gem, Jupiter with her belt, and Venus with her chain. It's way more faithful to the manga than Crystal was, in that aspect. (If Mercury's uniform has something unique to it, someone let me know.)
5.) Again, this was done intentionally.

Of all the different versions, the live action is actually my favorite, not to mention the fact it does something none of the other incarnations do; have the civilian identities of the senshi look normal instead of the characters obviously being able to be pinned for who they are on appearance alone. True, Usagi and Mako are somewhat obvious, but Ami, Rei, and Minako all look very different from their senshi counterparts. A lot of things take some adjustments, but if you can get past the cheesiness, it has one of the best stories out there, and is amazing with character development.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:19 pm 
Luna
Luna
Re: the cheesiness. ALL of Sailor Moon is cheesy. For cripes sake its about teenage girls running around in sexy halloween versions of school uniforms fighting for love and justice alongside a guy who just got back from prom and throws roses

Ryo Urawa wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:

you know I'm kinda surprised PGSM doesn't have a sub forum on here you'd think on a Sailor Moon Forum there would be one XD :lol:

Well we don’t have one for the manga, 90s anime, or musicals either just Crystal. I guess because Crystal is currently running so there’s expected to more discussion on it to justify getting its own subforum where the rest just fall under general

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:36 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I just love pgsm!! =^_^= =^_^= :keke:

I love the mini dolls that Bandai released in 2003-04..I even have Usagi chan doll with black hair and mini cat Luna!! =^_^=

And I think that the girls are soo pretty...Sawaii chan, Keiko chan and Ayaka chan!! =^_^= =^_^=
I even share the same bday of Sailor Luna actress!! (september 3rd!!) :keke:

I know that the youma are the same as the power rangers..but they improved a lot in later Acts!! =^_^= =^_^=

Btw, pgsm was the first series that showed me sailor moon franchise!! =^_^=

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:15 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Shiro Darklight wrote:
If Mercury's uniform has something unique to it, someone let me know.

It has no shoulder pads, like in the manga. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:19 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
ok but op you're wrong

(but seriously though op are you familiar with tokusatsu at all, i find that a lot of people who dislike pgsm because of how it looks and stuff aren't familiar with the toku genre overall, they're kind of all fairly cheesy. and it's not like other versions of sailor moon are the epitome of seriousness either)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:47 am 
Suburban Senshi OP
Suburban Senshi OP
Months of membership
ok so....*cracks neck and ties headband on head that reads "TOKUSATSU FAN"* I think i might as well just jump in here for a moment and don't worry I will be respectful about this. I too dislike the series and I am going to give you my little points on why:

A. Sailor Venus. Oh why oh why did they have to do that to her character. It's as if they had a choice between doing the super mysterious and serious version of Minako from the start of Sailor Moon and the goofy, silly Minako from later on in the franchise and decided to choose to do the former.....but add the fact that she's a jerk to it. Yes it's something different but to me it felt very...much a betrayal of the character. It was really not needed as they could always use Rei for any cold acting character moments but instead chose a character who is often very popular with fans for the very fact that she is so sunny and likable.

B. Darkury. Ok so *ducks thrown veggies* HEY HEY HOLD ON!!!!..let me just...talk. I know some people really love this version of the character and the arc but to be honest, to me when I watched this arc, what it told me was that they really had no idea what to do with Sailor Mercury. They could not think of a way for her to take part in things as a hero, so they turned her evil to give her some dynamics as a character, though to be honest, that always was a problem with merc- *ducks thrown veggies again* HEY IT'S CALLED HAVING AN OPINON!!!...ok so....yes it was something different for her but when the only way you can think to use a hero character to turn them evil, it tells me you didn't have a lot of ideas for them in the first place.

C. Sailor Luna. Moving on.

D. Tokusatsu. Ok so why was it a bad Tokusatsu series? Honestly it committed the greatest sin that any Toku series could: it was completely and utterly mediocre. There was nothing special about it. The fights were bland, the scripts were eh, the monster costumes were cheap (for obvious reasons) and the final twist, while really shocking, did nothing knew for a Tokusatsu series itself. As any fan of the Metal Hero franchise can tell you, a mediocre toku series can be the death knell. It did not help it's case that it was simply a third wheel Toku series at the time and thus was not given a very big budget to start off with (see the Kikaider series for another example of what happens when a series is run at the same time as a much bigger and more popular Tokusatsu series. It's not pretty sadly). This I think IMO is what rang a bit of the death knell for PGSM. It just was another toku series that happened to be an adaptation of sailor moon and not a particularly special one.

*Whew* that was a bit of a long post for me. Now if you guys excuse me, I'm going to re-watch Kamen Rider V3 and totally try and convince myself that Sailor Moon based the "Sailor Moon Body Attack" off of "V3 Body Attack".

Post subject: Re: Sailor Moon Live Action Is AWESOME!!!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:37 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
The live action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon series is / was AWESOME. If you got to see it as it was meant to be seen (60fps video and not off a torrented video file) then you got to see it shine.

I have a few tapes recorded off air in Japan and the show is amazing on video.

I enjoy it for what it is without comparing it to the 90s animation. For my nieces, it was their first exposure to anything Sailor Moon and they absolutely loved it.

If anyone has a problem enjoying PGSM, then you really need to stop thinking so much about it. The series is a lot of fun and a shame it hasn't gotten a Region 1 DVD release.

These opinions are fictional. Any resemblance to actual opinions, mine or someone else's, is coincidental.

CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:32 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
All of the “faults” that OP listed (which imo is part of the show’s charm) is still excused solely because the story is so ☹ well-written. I prefer PGSM to any other incarnation of the Dark Kingdom arc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:47 am 
Luna
Luna
The plushie thing and maybe the costume thing were the only valid points in the anime.

Complaining there was no stuff from later arcs when it clearly only adapted Dark Kingdom was asinine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:24 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
only things that bug me in PGSM is sailor luna and princess sailor moon [nice outfit but I don't like the vengeful spirit like thing with her]
and Sailor Venus

I'm ok with literally everything else even Usagi x chiba is ok for once
plush cats are cute and funny actually P-:
I like the actresses/actors I think they did a good job

and PGSM has best rei and I'll defend that opinion to the death

no sm version is without fault even the manga

yeah it's cheesy but sm in general is anyway but that's part of it's charm

but in the end your free to watch version you like and ignore version you don't there's enough sm for all of us

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:39 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Honestly I never understood why some people have issues with Luna and Artemis being talking plush cats.

I mean what would be the alternative? If they did CGI it'd look pretty bad because lol Toei and CGI and of course a real cat would be a bit problematic cause you know, real cat.

(Also tbh a Japanese girl carrying a plushie with her makes a lot more sense than one just carrying around their actual real cat lmao)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:57 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
alongside a guy who just got back from prom

People wear masks, capes, and tophats to prom? Man, I missed out being homeschooled.

I haven't seen this show and I still want to. But as far as the cats thing; the plushy thing is kind of cute (I think I'd kinda like it actually?), but it is admittedly super goofy. For alternatives, there was a live-action american show in the '90s called Sabrina the Teenage Witch which had a magic talking cat, using real cats and a bit of special effects trickery, so they probably could've done something like that.