Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Why The Sailor Moon Live Action Show Is AWFUL!!!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:08 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^ if they had a bigger budget they would've probably done that. I don't mind the plushies.

My opinion on the show is that it was great. I love what it did plot-wise for ALL the characters, it made the story fresh
and not a simple retread.

the only detriments to me are the effects that didn't age badly, some of the music for the fights and Minako/Venus' actress being wooden but I can get over that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:16 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SILVER wrote:
the only detriments to me are the effects that didn't age badly, some of the music for the fights and Minako/Venus' actress being wooden but I can get over that.

An irony is that that actress is now the most active one among the five Senshi actresses in acting besides Rei's actress (who's now an A-list actress, BTW). lol

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:27 pm 
Luna
Luna
^ I know! its hilarious because her acting was totally the worst.
But good for her! Keiko is gorgeous and a good actress so I'm not surprised at all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:32 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SILVER wrote:
its hilarious because her acting was totally the worst.

It's funny that she's starred in an award-winning movie as a zombie, considering her "wooden face" in PGSM. :lol:

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:36 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Honestly, animatronic cats (a la Salem in Sabrina) would have just been creepy or uncanny valley. Making Luna and Artemis plush toys was the perfect way to go: it was cute, funny, and ridiculous in the right way for a campy series like PGSM.

Also, while I agree that Ayaka wasn't the best actress on the show, I'd actually say Mew was worse. Ayaka may not have been the best at conveying emotion, but at least it seemed like she was comfortable. Mew always seemed a bit awkward/uncomfortable, which is perhaps why she's mostly stuck to modelling ever since.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:42 pm 
Luna
Luna
^ I thought that Mew was good as Princess Serenity but that she embodied Usagi well.
Maybe to a native speaker she seems bad? I'm not sure. I'd have to rewatch the show.

Rika-Chicchi wrote:
SILVER wrote:
its hilarious because her acting was totally the worst.

It's funny that she's starred in an award-winning movie as a zombie, considering her "wooden face" in PGSM. :lol:

Maybe she's good at playing a lifeless character? lol
Okay, I feel mean now :tongue:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:52 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
SILVER wrote:
I thought that Mew was good as Princess Serenity but that she embodied Usagi well.
Maybe to a native speaker she seems bad? I'm not sure. I'd have to rewatch the show.

Mew was Mako's actress, while Usagi/Serenity was played by Sawai. :wink:

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:08 pm 
Luna
Luna
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
SILVER wrote:
I thought that Mew was good as Princess Serenity but that she embodied Usagi well.

Blaaaaagghhhh.
Brainfart xD

Okay,they have a point lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:28 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Oh, Salem was animatronic? For some reason I thought they edited footage of a real cat somehow (but then again, I always thought Darwin on Seaquest DSV was a real dolphin, too, but nope). I guess that would've been pretty hard in the '90s though. It's been a loooong time since I've seen any of Sabrina.

In any case, like I said, I think the plushes seem kinda cute, so you don't need to convince me :) My bigger tentative objection (not having seen any of Sailor Myu) is why the musicals don't employ this same approach and have Luna and Artemis puppets, instead of omitting their characters altogether in most cases. (Though I still think it'd be a hilarious disaster if they tried to use real cats in a live musical.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:26 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
flash over wrote:
I prefer PGSM to any other incarnation of the Dark Kingdom arc

PGSM is my favorite take on the Dark Kingdom arc, the 90's anime a close second.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:10 am 
Luna
Luna
FloraKiraraHime wrote:
flash over wrote:
I prefer PGSM to any other incarnation of the Dark Kingdom arc

PGSM is my favorite take on the Dark Kingdom arc, the 90's anime a close second.

Same. It benefits from the episode count AND the changes ♥️
I wish we got Black Moon and Infinity but that’s life, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Excuse you. :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:26 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
SILVER wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
SILVER wrote:

Blaaaaagghhhh.
Brainfart xD

That's understandable, considering that their given names in kanji are identical, only that they're pronounced (a bit) differently. :)

Mitsukara wrote:
In any case, like I said, I think the plushes seem kinda cute, so you don't need to convince me :) My bigger tentative objection (not having seen any of Sailor Myu) is why the musicals don't employ this same approach and have Luna and Artemis puppets, instead of omitting their characters altogether in most cases.

They've also used real people to play them in the musicals - & no, they're not dressing up as mascots, nor were they playing their human forms. lol

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:41 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Those first musical Luna and Artemis costumes make me think of Axe Cop's cat suit. (Alternate picture.) I can hardly imagine a more awkward way they could've gone about it =^_^=

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:49 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Mitsukara wrote:
Those first musical Luna and Artemis costumes make me think of Axe Cop's cat suit. (Alternate picture.) I can hardly imagine a more awkward way they could've gone about it =^_^=

They've got a bit of kinky feel to me. :lol:

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:28 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ChibiMaster124 wrote:
Hey Guys This Going To Be A Rant Of The Sailor Moon Live Action Show Also It's My Own Opinion Of Why It Sucks
1.The CGI Looks Really Lazy And Unpolished I Think The Anime Did It Better With Their Transformations But In The Live Action It Looks Really Ugly And Makes Me Think Of Power Rangers
2.They Use Luna And Artemis As Plushies That Is So Lazy I Bet They Just Buy A Black Cat From Toysrus And Just Put A Moon Sticker And Just Call It A Day.
3.Half Of The Characters Are Missing Like Where Is Sailor Uranus, Sailor Neptune, Sailor Pluto,Galaxia,The Death Busters, And I Can Go On And On
4.The Sailor Guardians Costumes Looks Really Bad And Feeled Rushed And It's Really Cringy It Looks Like Some Weeaboo Is Ready To Go To Anime Con
5.Last Reason Is That The Monsters Looks Like Nothing The Anime They Just Reminds Me Of A Power Rangers Clone And Not Sailor Moon
In Conclusion Dont Watch The Live Action Show It Is Sloppy And Rushed Just Watch The Sailor Moon 90s Anime And Sailor Moon Crystal They Are 10 Times Better Then The Live Action Garbage

I am going to be extremely direct but these are absolutely SHALLOW reasons to say the show is awful. I feel like I should get personally offended because i watched the show from start to end and it was an absolute delight.
PGSM was an answer for a tokusatsu/special effects show to cater for girls. This show has a budget for an average tokusatsu show such as Super Sentai/Power Rangers so hence the CGI is cheap and effect and in fact used right. They were clever in not spending too much money on Luna and Artemis CGI when needed and instead used dolls when they could.

With the show focusing on the Dark Kingdom Arc and bringing onto a new spin on an arc that has been done twice at the time there wouldn't be time to establish existing characters that show up in a later arc. The closest we get is Sailor Luna for Chibi-Usa.

If you consider the costumes to be weeaboo-ready-to-go-to-a-con quality. I suggest you consider to have a HARD LOOK AT YOURSELF for ever insulting people's hard work in making any costumes in general. Whether its good or bad a costume is a costume. You should probably try making a costume and see if anyone can criticise that your costume looks like weeaboo trash.

If you consider looking at the surface of a tokusatsu show to be something that determines your interest, you must've never delved deeper into the show. PGSM is considered by many to be a great arc and in fact a great adaptation to the Dark Kingdom Arc with proper character development for all the characters in the show and allowing many characters to shine when the manga couldn't cater for all of that. We got an introduction to characters such as Hina who was served as an obstacle for Usagi and Mamoru and Mio who serves as an obstacle to the Sailor Senshi. The neutrality of the Silver Crystal serves as a good point to allow Usagi to grow as a character in PGSM and allow her to become a rather complex character. She wants to save the world while her former incarnation wants to destroy it.

In short, your opinion is rubbish.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:46 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
@DREWdesu: Thank you! There should be thoughtful criticism, as Memento said, for any SM series and PGSM is no exception.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 pm 
Luna
Luna
DREWdesu wrote:

If you consider the costumes to be weeaboo-ready-to-go-to-a-con quality. I suggest you consider to have a HARD LOOK AT YOURSELF for ever insulting people's hard work in making any costumes in general. Whether its good or bad a costume is a costume. You should probably try making a costume and see if anyone can criticise that your costume looks like weeaboo trash.

I agree with 99 percent of what you said in your entire post and I found the OP’s weeaboo comment utter nonsense (the costumes were designed by a Japanese person and worn by Japanese actors what do they think weeaboo even means ?) buut I never cared for the “let’s see you do better” comments because presumably the OP doesn’t have a television budget to work with.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:03 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
But I mean even with all the cheesiness, wasn't the show still great for its plot and pacing? This has been some of the best close interactions with the Senshi.and I personally love how the Shittenou we're developed

I like Minako in PGSM. She was pretty good. It really added dynamic to her character, not to mention she was already an idol & her attitude seemed fair to me considering her role as leader. Even in the anime and manga, Minako is chipper but always questioning her duties as a Senshi.

Mew and Keiko were a little rough with the acting but they kinda all we're, considering this was their first time to do something like this. The fights were weird... but only at first!! When they started incorporating neat ways for them to use their environment to fight, it was great. (Two of my faves being when Usagi bounces off the trees into and uses the Moon Stick in midair. The other is when Rei flipped over the monsters head and did a fire blast in mid-air. All cool attacks.

Other highlights include multiple attacks for the Senshi in one season, Moon getting her lipstick transformation, all the Senshi getting disguises cellphones, each Senshi getting individual battle cry poses, those Sailor Tambos (which for some reason makes me think of the Starlight's using it.)

Oh and the that Moonlight Attractive Attack was so much more awesome than Sailor Planet Attack.

I am surprised no one mentioned their strangest thing from that show to date...and that was that Tuxedo Mask transformation...That was....that was... SOMETHING..

Everytime I hear his ending in Cyrstal I think of him randomly doing it after than wet shirt fanservice shot.

(SPEAKING of Tux Kamen in Crystal...I need someone to see if they ever released any of the communicators as collectables. I want that Tuxedo Kamen one!! :evil: )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:41 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Other: conservative
ChibiMaster124 wrote:
Hey Guys This Going To Be A Rant Of The Sailor Moon Live Action Show Also It's My Own Opinion Of Why It Sucks
1.The CGI Looks Really Lazy And Unpolished I Think The Anime Did It Better With Their Transformations But In The Live Action It Looks Really Ugly And Makes Me Think Of Power Rangers
2.They Use Luna And Artemis As Plushies That Is So Lazy I Bet They Just Buy A Black Cat From Toysrus And Just Put A Moon Sticker And Just Call It A Day.
3.Half Of The Characters Are Missing Like Where Is Sailor Uranus, Sailor Neptune, Sailor Pluto,Galaxia,The Death Busters, And I Can Go On And On
4.The Sailor Guardians Costumes Looks Really Bad And Feeled Rushed And It's Really Cringy It Looks Like Some Weeaboo Is Ready To Go To Anime Con
5.Last Reason Is That The Monsters Looks Like Nothing The Anime They Just Reminds Me Of A Power Rangers Clone And Not Sailor Moon
In Conclusion Dont Watch The Live Action Show It Is Sloppy And Rushed Just Watch The Sailor Moon 90s Anime And Sailor Moon Crystal They Are 10 Times Better Then The Live Action Garbage

Um part the reason they used cgi . Because things can only work in animation . While in real life thy can not . I agree they could just skipped the transformations. (They did look bad) . The reason for Luna and Artemis was probably because of money or movability . Getting real cats would be expensive, and having to train them will be just a hassel. (They still would have to use cgi) PGSM is live-action so acourse doing all the arcs would be a strength . Actors grow up, and time as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:47 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
More generally, the term 'weeaboo' always seemed pretty offensive to me and I try to avoid it. Why would a derogatory term for people who are cross-cultural enthusiasts ever be a good thing to say? It's just pointlessly mean/inflammatory, like any other kind of slur. I treat it as a bad word, and I'm someone who doesn't give a (frowny face ASCII character) about regular expletives and loves the Angry Video Game Nerd. Basically, I lump it in with discriminatory language.

Speaking as someone who hasn't seen the Live Action show... what interests me is that they seem to have a big complicated storyline exploring a very alternate interpretation of pretty much everything about the concepts. It's not 'just' the Dark Kingdom arc again, it's a whole new twist on everything about that story. I've heard the following spoilers just enough to have my curiosity piqued:
Spoiler: show
Dying-of-cancer Minako getting understandably super-serious.

Princess Serenity destroyed Silver Millennium?! Bwuhhhhh?

Naru has a complicated friendship with Ami regarding Usagi.

Naru and some other people try to dress up as Sailor Senshi to fight crime in a goofy episode.

Ami becomes "Dark Mercury" and then has to snap out of it, oh man that sounds awesome.

Jadeite has extreme loyalty to Queen Beryl.

Zoisite considers a team-up with one of the Sailor Senshi.

A new take on the Endymion's guardians concept where the Shitennou are still alive to talk to each other about it in depth, contrasted with Crystal where they got like 5 minutes to do so, or the '90s anime where if it was true- which would make a lot of sense!-, then they never even knew. Or the manga where they got their faces melted instantly on contact with our heroes :/

But what alienates me and has made me put it off (besides time management or my somewhat single-minded interest in the '90s anime or whatever) is the very same thing. The characters sound so different, I'm not sure I'd really find any comfortable or familiar hook to glom onto.

Especially with the Shitennou, because they look like they might've been reimagined beyond recognition. Nephrite and Zoisite look physically more like Rubeus and Diamande, and nothing I've heard about their characters bears any resemblance to any elements from the '90s anime or the manga (not that they had much substance as characters in the manga, honestly), except the "Endymion's guardians" angle. This is a 50-some-odd episode show made after everything else that reimagined the story, that includes Naru and Nephrite, but I'm not sure they'd even meet, much less interact (since that's still a 100% '90s anime concept). The only one who looks or sounds familiar to me at all from my limited knowledge is Jadeite.

And Umino isn't even in it from what I hear! DISAPPOINT. That should've been on the list of what's wrong, because Umino is awesome. :) I would've loved to see some Japanese kid with messy hair wearing a prop of those eye-obscuring swirly glasses and popping up out of inappropriate places via camery trickery.

Basically, it sort of doesn't sound like it'd feel like Sailor Moon at all, but rather, like a vague impression of Sailor Moon printed onto another world, an elaborate deconstruction. That's reinforced by how Usagi and the others look nothing like their normal selves until they transform- like none of them are "really" their old selves, they just have to wear the mask for a while. That could be interesting in it's own right, but it also sounds uncomfortable.

Being in live action doesn't specifically appeal to me, but it doesn't ruin it either. I kinda like goofy, bright, colorful costumes, and I don't mind cheap special effects if they get the story told and give the right general artistic impression. (And again I say, the plush cats do sound cute, albeit goofy and odd. Heck, if they were going with 'realistic' teenagers, why not have regular cats that don't do anything exciting and just dub over the unspeaking cats, without any animatronics or whatever? Eh. Plushes are fine with me anyway.) I don't care that much about special effects really- I care about the character stories. And these sound like intriguing ones, but they don't necessarily sound like Sailor Moon? It's hard to explain.

I do intend to try it eventually though. I may love it! It's really hard to say.

I have to ask again though: Why does so much of the fandom agree on calling this specific incarnation "PGSM"? The name Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon has been used by other official products, like the Kodansha releases of the manga in English. I don't understand how it came to be specifically associated with the live action show.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:05 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
I had the same first impressions too.

What really motivated me to watch it was good feedback from other members from another :usagi: forum.

So I watched it 5 or 6 episodes in one sitting. Thank goodness for youtube.

I wasn't really sold on episode 2 or 3 as I find :rei: cold and the rest of the episodes felt rather drab at times.

After about may be episode 9 (I think the one with the straw ninja youma) things began to pick up. The actresses started to grow on me. I really didn't care much about the transformation and attacks anymore as the story with the girls performances were getting better. 8)

This was definitely a series that starts cold but warms up later on unlike Charmed, Buffy or Xena which to each their own had a huge drop in quality as the series progressed. ^_^

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:39 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
rgveda99 wrote:
This was definitely a series that starts cold but warms up later on unlike Charmed, Buffy or Xena which to each their own had a huge drop in quality as the series progressed. ^_^

So true, Charmed went downhill a few years after Paige joined and Buffy did after the show switched networks from WB to UPN. :|

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:13 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
The lack of Umino, Rei's Grandfather, and Papa Kenji is definitely a minus for me, and there are other aspects of the show I'm a bit critical of, but overall the good by far outweighs the bad. Different people have different thresholds for camp and suspension of disbelief, so if things like plushie Luna and Artemis or low budget CGI are too distracting for someone that they just can't get into the show, that's totally understandable, but I do think every Sailor Moon fan should at least TRY to watch this show at some point with as open a mind as possible.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:57 pm 
Luna
Luna
rgveda99 wrote:

Not sure how that’s the best comparison when PGSM only lasted for one year for 49 episodes while all those shows lasted 6-7 years with 100+ episodes so of course they have more time to drop in quality.

Besides I can’t speak for Charmed since I could never get into it but I didn’t think the drop in quality happened for Buffy and Xena until season 4 (although Buffy had several worthwhile episodes until the very end, and Xena had a few)

Imagine if Family Guy never got uncancelled after its 3rd season/50 episodes and was still roughly thought of as a clever show and not a blight on humanity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:09 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Mitsukara wrote:
I have to ask again though: Why does so much of the fandom agree on calling this specific incarnation "PGSM"? The name Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon has been used by other official products, like the Kodansha releases of the manga in English. I don't understand how it came to be specifically associated with the live action show.

Because the "PGSM" title was 1st used in the live-action show, which was also the only Sailor Moon version using it before the release of the revised manga at the time. :)

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:50 am 
Luna
Luna
FloraKiraraHime wrote:
I totally disagree. I don't think Sailor Moon Crystal is better than PGSM, like, at all. In fact, I think it's much worse than PGSM. Crystal has bad writing, poor characterization, and it's pace is faster than the speed of light and sound combined Crystal's CGI is also not good, that's cheap too. It is also stiff. Yasuko Kobayashi-sama is a much better than Yuuji Kobayashi. Seriously, Yuji is a terrible writer, look at how he treats everyone in Crystal. All the characters in Crystal are flat, static, and one-dimensional espiecially Usagi. I love the 90's anime and I think it's just as good as PGSM. The costumes in PGSM are done well, mostly the Senshi, Four Kings, Beryl, Tuxxy Boy.

My rant is over. It's stuff like this that make me livid! I really dislike it when fans try bring down one version of Sailor Moon, just to put other versions on a pedestal.

No version of SM is superior to the other.

Don’t you find it a smidge ironic that you’re bashing OP for putting down an incarnation of SM while in the same rant bashing Crystal and declaring PGSM as far superior? We all have our own opinions about the different versions and I really don’t understand the sensitivity in discussing it. All of the incarnations are very different and people are bound to have preferences. For the love of Sailor Cosmos, get over it!

Now then, I must say that I disagree with OP here. When you consider the era in which the series was released (before high def was even a thing) the visuals are actually pretty stunning in some instances. The plot variation was nice (though it got really weird at the end.) When you look at it compared to similar series like Power Rangers, you’ve got to admit that the series was clearly treated with love.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:16 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I love this thread.

ChibiMaster124 wrote:

ERROR 404: LIES NOT FOUND

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:47 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
@flockapowpow: I understand we all have our preferences. In, I actually enjoyed the third season of Crystal, I just couldn't find it within myself to enjoy the first and second seasons. I believe in constuctive criticism and what OP said sounded nothing like that. I should have said that I wanted to like S1 & S2, the writing was not very good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:47 pm 
Suburban Senshi OP
Suburban Senshi OP
Months of membership
Other: World Class Lurker
*also dons the TOKUSATSU FAN headband*

For the argument about Plush Luna and Artemis. TOEI has a history of trying to do "animal" sidekicks in Super Sentai during this time period via puppetry... be glad we got plush cats and not another MANDORA BOY
or BOMPER

Thankfully they're gotten better at it with Yurasen from Kamen Rider Ghost and Navi from Gokaiger, but be blessed with what we got.