Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Sera Myu musicals 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Sailor Moon Crystal 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 33
 Post subject: Re: What’s your favorite version of Sailor Moon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:22 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I still haven't seen the live action show (which sound weird and kind of alienating, but also intriguing and fresh) or any of the musicals (which are harder to gauge), so I can't really judge those.

But... my favorite moments are all things like Naru and Nephrite's story, Naru-and-Umino centric episodes, Zoisite and Kunzite's last proper scene together, and the vast multitude of sympathetic backstories and redemptions for villains, or people who were basically forced into villainy against their will and try to fight past it and do something heroic anyway (again, Nephrite is the biggest one for me, but also Saphir, Fisheye, and so on). (Whether Nephrite was 'forced' in that version is nebulous, but I'm inclined to say yes due to what Endymion says in episode 44 about the people of Earth being brainwashed.) I also love all the breather moments and gradual character development, and Usagi and Rei's cute friendly tsundere-ish arguments (and even more so the softer scenes later on where Rei really supports Usagi), and the grim march on D-Point, and Thetis, and Rhett Butler, and Youma Boxsy, and...

Yeah, nothing compares to the '90s anime for me so far. Sorry. The iconic element of Sailor Moon to me is Usagi trying to forgive, understand, and help people, and that just feels... completely missing in the first two arcs of the manga. (Did she sort of try to revive the Shitennou? That wasn't really explained very clearly. The action is all so confusing in the manga.) Hopefully the later parts do something about that, to greater emphasize her compassion.

The manga has really cool ideas and character designs, but the story progression often feels like an empty mess to me so far in comparison. Still, the anime owes the manga it's very existence (as far as I know?), and the manga has it's neat moments. I love the scene where Kunzite realizes what happened to the Shitennou. I love Mamoru having their ghosts talk to him from the stones later on. There's some funny and cute moments. I also actually like it's weird gruesome nightmare imagery (though I think it would have a lot more impact if the character development sort of led up to it more coherently.)

But the core of what I like best about Sailor Moon, and my favorite characterizations and interactions, are just flat-out not there yet in the manga. On top of that, the main characters (in the first two arcs) feel very flat and underdeveloped, Usagi seems far less reasonable or sympathetic in everything about how she interacts with Chibi-usa and Mamoru, and the side characters seems like a big revolving door of characters getting introduced, saying one interesting thing, and then dying horribly (and sometimes confusingly, I had to go back and read twice just to spot Esmeraude's death).

I think I said once before: if the anime is a beautiful flower, then the manga is an interesting seed. Kind of a dark ugly little thing by comparison, but full of potential. It's also like a strange and fascinating dream with a nightmare edge to it, which doesn't quite make sense once you wake up.

Codename Sailor V, however, has significantly better character development on Minako, Artemis, and Kaitou Ace, plus Natsuna Sakurada and Toshio Wakagi are fun little side characters. Heck, even Saito feels slightly more developed than many of Sailor Moon's characters. Codename Sailor V is pretty great.

I rate what I've seen as follows:

- '90s anime season 1: 6/5, one of the best things I've ever seen full stop. If only they'd included the backstory reveal from the manga in full, it would be even better, but there's enough of a hint of that that I feel like it still holds true here (albeit in passing), and the character growth of the Shitennou, Naru, Usagi, the Inners, it's all just so good.

- '90s anime Amazon Trio arc: 3/5, clunky and dragged (and I dunno about that strapped-to-a-table thing, kinda the wrong imagery for the kind of story they wound up with) but had a pretty good finish (which could've been much better with more of the perhaps-too-long screentime devoted to playing it out, instead of being a last minute thing).

- Janky '90s anime episode with the Plesiosaur and volcano from R: 1.5/5, what even is this. (My headcanon is that Chibi-usa wrote this herself in-setting. But I also say Plesiosaurs were around in the Golden Kingdom days...) Likewise, I don't like "Drive to Heaven" from SuperS much at all other than the fun idea of Ami trying to fix a car.

- Rest of the '90s anime: 5/5 overall, I loved every arc. Professor Tomoe and Hotaru, Lead Crow and Alluminum Siren, Ali and En, Haruka and Michiru, the conclusion of Nehellenia, too many great things to count.

- Manga Dark Kingdom arc: 2.5/5, had some good moments but was pretty clunky and felt underthought.

- Manga Black Moon arc: 2/5, I like some of the grand concepts and I like Diana gauarding the space time door, but this one was honestly kind of a mess.

- Codename Sailor V: 4/5, good times.

- Sailor Moon Another Story (tentative rating): I still need to properly finish this one but it's looking like a solid 4/5 at least.

- Sailor Moon Crystal Dark Kingdom arc: 2/5, I'm actually onboard with changing up the Shitennou storyline this way but they should've done more with it than just that, it felt kind of flat. (at least we got a cool seperately-released image song single out of it, "I'm Going Down".)

I like them all, and I'm much more interested in this franchise than in... heck, most things. But nothing can beat the '90s anime.

To clarify my bias a bit though, I didn't even really watch the '90s anime until I was 22 years old, in 2011. So this isn't just childhood bias talking (if it were, perhaps I'd be more charitable to the DiC Dub or something, but I didn't see more than tiny bits of it growing up).

How do I compare the DiC Dub? It retains a few of the good parts, and adds a couple tiny things that are neat (the song "My Only Love", the line "We'll get a doctor", and I kinda like the name 'Star Crystal', and 'Maxfield Stanton' is an amusing name), and the spirit of the thing mostly endures, but mostly it's an awful mess and it makes me mad every time I try to watch it XD I'm like aaaaaaugh stop editing every scene to pieces, why is the pacing so messed up, aaaaugh why are they saying such mean, stupid, shallow things, why is Rei so terrible, why are they talking over the first Princess Serenity transformation, this isn't right blearghlhbrurgle. I kinda dig the multicolor flashy lines borders on the episode previews though, because I'm goofy like that. The Sailor Moon Says concept is amusing, but mostly kinda dumb and off-base.

As far as visual style... I think I like the '90s anime look the most, when it's drawn right. It varies so much, though, some of it can look really janky (like one of my favorite episodes, 26). The manga looks pretty nice usually, but it has a few moments where people look stretched out and ugly too, and Crystal Tokyo looked kinda sketchy and undefined. Crystal looks okay at times, but kinda bleh (haven't seen season 3). I think Ken Akamatsu (Love Hina, Mahou Sensei Negima, some other stuff) and Bow Ditama (Mahoromatic) usually draw better looking humans than any of this stuff though (except for some of the 'gonk' in Mahoromatic). However, the '90s anime is absolutely fantastic when it comes to funny, over-the-top facial expressions- another thing kind of exclusive to that version mostly.

But I do love some of the character designs (especially Naru, Zoisite, Nephrite, Minako, Makoto, Umino, Tuxedo Mask/King Endymion...), and that really stems from the manga since Naoko Takeuchi designed everyone's basic appearance. That said, spooky-glasses-and-cute-smile lanky labcoat '90s anime Professor Tomoe is also 100% awesome (in every regard, not just visual style), and as far as I know so far that look is anime-exclusive.

Oddly enough I don't like nails at all, in real life or drawings, but the manicure imagery doesn't quite bother me enough to matter here. I'm glad they wear gloves over them so much of the time. But really, I'm all about the character stories here more than anything about the aesthetic.

I do get a lot of fun out of taking manga-exclusive ideas and trying to plug them into the '90s anime, though, so there's definitely that. Sailor Venus wielding an ancient sword, the Shitennou/Golden Kingdom backstory, and so on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:23 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
No love for the musicals (ATM no one has voted for them)? lol

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:35 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Other: Mildly autistic
My favorite version is the anime (both the Viz and DiC dub.)

-Lego (Written on November 28, 2017)

AHH... This stuff is really...FRESH!

Die Mensch Maschine... Kraftwerk...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:35 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
90's anime for me. But If PGSM covered all the arcs it would probably be my favorite version.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:34 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
90's anime, manga, crystal. I love all of these 3. :love:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:45 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
90's anime!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:04 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I chose PGSM over the manga/Crystal because it was my first "real" glimpse into the story and characters, and what made me really enjoy this series.
I still really like the art in the manga and the story in comparison to the first anime (and Crystal too, obviously).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:13 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I love all the versions of Sailor Moon pretty equally. I don't think any of the versions are perfect and they all their strengths and weaknesses. I enjoy Sailor Moon because I love these characters and not because I have an ideal version of them in my head but to me each new adaptation is a different chance to enjoy seeing my favorite characters again. So I can't really pick a favorite version because I love all the versions.