It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC

Is the Sailor Moon manga underrated?
Yes, it should be much more renowned. 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Yes, but only slightly. 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
No, it gets about as much recognition as deserved. 35%  35%  [ 5 ]
No, it is much too highly esteemed for what it is. 28%  28%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Is the Sailor Moon manga underrated?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:02 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Since Crystal received a similar poll, I’m curious to see the forum members’ thoughts on the manga.

Post subject: Re: Is the Sailor Moon manga underrated?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:28 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
From what I can tell its pretty well liked. Most fans if nothing else seem to prefer the Dreams arc to SuperS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:53 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
I don't think it's underrated. There are lots of fans who prefer it to the anime.

I personally love the manga, but don't care about Crystal one bit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:36 am 
Luna
Luna
^Ya know while I've seen plenty of fans who prefer the 90s anime or PGSM to the manga I've never actually seen a Sailor Moon fan outright hate the manga. I've seen fans who hate the 90s anime, PGSM, and Crystal though. It may not be every Moonie's favorite version but it doesn't seem to ever appear on any sh!t list.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:50 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
That pretty much summarizes my own feelings (so far, still reading slowly because of mixed enthusiasm and time budgeting and stuff). I definitely don't like it nearly as much as the '90s anime (which goes on my 'one of the best things ever' list)- my favorite elements and themes from Sailor Moon are '90s anime exclusives, I think the manga's action scenes are confusing and it's character development is way too minimal all around, but I certainly think it's got some cool ideas and some pretty pictures, and I do enjoy it. And if we're counting Codename Sailor V, I liked that quite a bit as-is.

Having seen the first season of Crystal only a few years after my first reading of the Dark Kingdom arc in the manga, I don't have a strong opinion on it. I like the attempt to mix things up a little and I think the action scenes make more sense, but it loses some things and I don't see it as all that much better or worse. So I guess maybe I think lower of the manga than average and higher of Crystal than average, but I think they're both okay and I enjoyed them to some extent.

But I don't see myself writing any hundreds-of-thousands-of-words-long fanfic drafts set in their continuities. *shrug* My biggest enjoyment from the manga is trying to adapt some of it's unique differences into '90s anime continuity equivalents.

For the record, I read the first few chapters of the manga around the same time I started watching the show. But I followed up on watching the show a lot more even though I tend to read comics more often than watching shows, when it comes to other things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:24 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
LifeGaveMeLemons wrote:
^Ya know while I've seen plenty of fans who prefer the 90s anime or PGSM to the manga I've never actually seen a Sailor Moon fan outright hate the manga. I've seen fans who hate the 90s anime, PGSM, and Crystal though. It may not be every Moonie's favorite version but it doesn't seem to ever appear on any sh!t list.

I have seen some people who hate the manga. However me personally I would say that I like the manga. It is my second favorite adaptation the 90s anime being the first. While I like it less then the 90s anime and in some places I have great problems with it I do think that for instance there were many things that they did better then the 90s anime. For one I liked that the Shitennou and Beryl's backstory were more clearly shown. I think that Dream is far superior to SuperS in terms of plot and storytelling. About the only things I preferred in SuperS were the Amazon Trio's fleshed out personalities and redemption and Queen Nehellenia's 90s backstory but otherwise Dream is the superior version all of the way. I liked that in Dream the Outers came back into the cast instead of waiting till Stars. In Stars while I much preferred Sailor Galaxia's 90s backstory I liked how the Outers became main cast members as opposed to how shafted they were in the anime and the climactic battle at the Galaxy Cauldron. The manga definitely had some things it did better then other adaptations.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:48 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It's actually overrated, I think it's terrible. In any case, I enjoy it for what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:37 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
No, it's a bit overrated.