Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why didn't the Starlights get killed in Sailor Stars?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
It's kinda strange that the Starlights don't get killed off in the finale. Does this happen in the manga too?

Post subject: Re: Why didn't the Starlights get killed in Sailor Stars?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:47 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
In the manga, Sailor Phi and Sailor Chi kill the Starlights, and depending how you look at it, you could argue that they even die before the solar system senshi. Not sure why the anime kept them alive, maybe toei thought more opportunity for character development for the three would help their doll sales.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:14 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
It created an air where Usagi had lost pretty much her family, world, and everything truly familiar and comfortable, but still had someone to turn to for friendship. I think that kept them from simply repeating the D Point experience and allowed for some nice character development.

Besides, I suspect Galaxia was hoping they would break down and start fighting each other, since she expressed a... fondness, for such things, when the Outer Senshi split up. And it's not like the Starlights had the best cohesion to begin with- remember when they were decking one another backstage? Galaxia just picked the wrong time/approach to mess with them, and underestimated Usagi's influence in rekindling their hope.

The Starlights rank pretty middling on my list of character preference, but I think it worked pretty well the way they handled it.

Also, bear in mind that as much as I- if anyone?- would've loved to see more of characters like Naru, technically speaking, the Starlights only had 29 episodes, which is less than Naru, Umino, or Beryl. The Amazon Trio had almost that many for some reason ^_^'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:58 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Because Stars was favoring focus on the Starlights over the familiar Solar System Senshi, so them surviving was just another way of continuing the season's pattern.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:13 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
The Stars season really pushed for developing the Starlights. When Usagi loses all her friends in the finale, only the Starlights are left beside her. When they first met, they never thought they could fight alongside each other, but now they are. Seiya even says "when I'm around you, I start wanting to believe in other people," which is a big theme of the season. Even Taiki and Yaten felt the same way by then. It nicely ties up one of the themes of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:16 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
Whatever the case, they won't be living in this new adaptation. :mrgreen:

Though since I like Yaten. I'll be sad. It will be so interesting to see how they were so hyped up in the 90s but now in Crystal... Lol

Cyrstal Stars might just not be bad after all....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:51 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
cause it's their season therefore they get the spotlight :|