Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Would Post-Stars NQS train her daughter?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
This applies to both the anime and manga.

I read a fan-comic a while back called Sailor Moon Cosmos Arc and without any spoilers the story discusses that Small Lady wasn't trained to become a Sailor Senshi similarly to how Chibi-Usa was trained in the main series. This raised a question for me ... ok ... a shower thought ...

Considering NQS post-Stars has all the knowledge of her enemies from the Black Moon to Shadow Galactica, would she consider training this incarnation of Small Lady? If so, would she let the events of the Black Moon play out as it did in the main timeline for her to awaken (manga)? Otherwise, would she have been trained to awaken as a Sailor Senshi in the future as opposed to going to the past to train?

I would like to know your thoughts

Post subject: Re: Would Post-Stars NQS train her daughter?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:35 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I'm assuming this question is operating on the ''alternate timeline'' theory, where Black Moon Chibiusa and post-Stars Chibiusa wouldn't be the same person (or well, the same person but from different timelines)?

In that case, yes, I do think NQS would train her daughter, because-as you stated- she's experienced so many battles (along with her experiences with alternate Chibiusa) and would be aware of Small Lady's place as the next in line for the throne. There are lots parallels between NQS and Queen Serenity, mainly in the anime (that outfit was likely not coincidentally similar to QS' in silhouette) but while QS didn't have the sense to train her daughter as a Guardian, I think NQS would have more wisdom, particularly because she bore the consequences of her mother's incompetence.

I think Naoko and Toei really intended for there to be one timeline, but that's more complicated than the Alternate TImeline Theory considering all of the contradictions and lack of in-story rules for time travel.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:44 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I think the impact of time travel might vary depending on the franchise. In the manga it might be a single stable timeline, but in the '90s anime it seems to operate by "Back to the Future" logic, which is to say, a single timeline getting rewritten and catching up with itself (plus a huge 'nobody understands how this works' margin of error).

- Example 1:
It's hard to tell what happens at the end of season 1, but Usagi seems to be repeating the same day from the first episode. They reused some of the footage, she has the same test score, she seems to meet Mamoru in the same place at the same time- but Naru is following her around this time, probably at least partly because her mom wasn't "acting weird " (I.E. replaced by Morga). It's up for interpretation, but it seems at least possible that the same year restarted with a different, Dark Kingdom-less version of events.

Also, a whole bunch of rapid-natural disasters were tearing up cities on the news during Metallia's giant sunspot storms according to the news Luna and Artemis were watching in episode 45, and no one acts like anything that crazy ever happened, suggesting that damage might've been undone. And Usagi's parents don't seem to act like she vanished or anything (even though she was missing when the power went out all over Tokyo and the sky turned dark), etc.

- Example 2:
Crystal Tokyo was shown to be badly damaged by UFO attacks in the future when they went there, then after defeating Death Phantom Chibi-usa goes back and the city is completely intact (not to mention that her parents are fine and the Inners aren't busy maintaining a barrier thing). This seems to imply the future was rewritten.

- Example 3:
Nehellennia nearly kills Mamoru and the Saior Senshi, causing Chibi-usa to fade away (this is especially BTTF-ish). (Also for half I second I seriously thought this moment might be Chibi-usa's last appearance in the regular cast and was about to be shocked that the show was that hardcore.) Then she reappears when Nehellennia is defeated/talked down. Then, Nehellennia's entire history is somehow altered by Usagi so that she never becomes corrupted in the first place, making (non-spooky-talking-mirror) friends in her own time as a child. This also causes the spooky talking mirror to shatter (?).

So my thinking is that when Chibi-usa gets back to Crystal Tokyo (offscreen) in Sailor Stars, there's a bit of a time warble (Mamoru almost died again for a while there) and then everything goes back to normal, and NQS, future Sailor Mercury, and Sailor Pluto have to sit down and have a careful discussion about their future approach to all this. :) By that point Chibi-usa is no longer interacting with the past so I don't think she would necessarily go back again and it would probably make sense for them to just go ahead and talk with/train her in the future however seemed appropriate.

There's also the question of why they sent her back in time for training to begin with. They specifically mentioned that she needed to make important friendships- did they somehow know she needed to intervene in the whole Hotaru/Mistress 9 event, and the Pegasus/Nehellennia thing? If she hadn't been in the past Pegasus wouldn't have had the golden mirror to hide in, so I'm thinking yes, Sailor Pluto might've had a carefully presented case of chronological factors (hopefully with a spreadsheet and diagrams and an easel) for why this was a good idea.

...buuuuut knowing how these things have gone before, Sailor Pluto probably just said some really cryptic and unilateral stuff, and then NQS was all like "Sure lol! That sounds neat! :googly: I trust you :love: " and scribbled some messily written time-letters to Chibi-usa while future-Rei and friends are sitting their nervously tapping their fingers hoping this doesn't blow up in their time-faces.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:03 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
DREWdesu wrote:
This applies to both the anime and manga.

I read a fan-comic a while back called Sailor Moon Cosmos Arc and without any spoilers the story discusses that Small Lady wasn't trained to become a Sailor Senshi similarly to how Chibi-Usa was trained in the main series. This raised a question for me ... ok ... a shower thought ...

Considering NQS post-Stars has all the knowledge of her enemies from the Black Moon to Shadow Galactica, would she consider training this incarnation of Small Lady? If so, would she let the events of the Black Moon play out as it did in the main timeline for her to awaken (manga)? Otherwise, would she have been trained to awaken as a Sailor Senshi in the future as opposed to going to the past to train?

I would like to know your thoughts

Again I don't think that the multiple timelines idea work. Chibiusa is the biggest proof. If Chibiusa was from another timeline then it wouldn't matter if Usagi and Mamoru get together because she was from a different timeline with a different Usagi and Mamoru. However it has been shown multiple times that if something were to happen to the Usagi and Mamoru of this timeline then Chibiusa wouldn't exist. The 90s anime pretty much always supported the notion of one timeline and it was a big point in the game Sailor Moon Another Story and even though this game wasn't canon this idea pretty much sticks. Besides in the manga when Chibiusa comes back from nonexistence following the resurrection of Mamoru and the other Senshi at the end of Sailor Stars she says she will see Usagi soon referring to Usagi soon to becoming pregnant with her. Chibiusa says she will see her again as in the Chibiusa Usagi is speaking to right now not a different one.

I imagine the events of Black Moon occur in both timelines. I imagine that the Senshi probably try to prevent it but like in Classical Greek tragedy the more you try to prevent fate the more you necessitate it's occuring.