* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:03 am

All times are UTC

Worst Side Arcs
General :love: Sailor Death Arc 37%  37%  [ 6 ]
Hachiru Rebellion Arc 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
King Hologram Break Up Arc 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: Your Ranking of the 3 most terrible side arcs (with Poll)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:05 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So how would you rank the 3 most terrible/controversial side arcs of the entire :usagi: franchise?

General :love: Sailor Death Arc
A popular and most loved concept from the creator but didn't exactly end well. Equivalent to the Man Of Steel film by Snyder.

Hachiru Rebellion Arc
A pair of ingrates fight off the past princess and future queen who saved the world 4 times already and who were obviously wrong about :hotaru:'s purpose. I just pretend episode 126 doesn't exist.

King Hologram Break Up Arc
King Purple :tuxspeedomask: sends nightmares to his past self in an attempt to break apart his relationship with his old self. It just doesn't make any sense. Why would you do that to your past self?

Post subject: Re: Your Ranking of the 3 most terrible side arcs (with Poll)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:35 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
126 sucked but that's going to third place because it wasn't bad to the point of ruining an entire season like SenxShi (and all of Act 12) did for Crystal's first arc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:39 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Sailor Death? Hachiru? These are some wacky words. If I understand correctly you mean:

- The Senshi/Shitennou arc from Sailor Moon Crystal
- Haruka and Michiru fighting Usagi in the next-to-last-episode of Sailor Moon S
- Mamoru breaking up with Usagi over visions from King Endymion in Sailor Moon R

I'm not sure how we're meant to 'rank' those by use of the poll, rather than saying "1, 2, 3" in an actual post.

There's also the question of whether anyone finds any other arcs dumb, although you've definitely hit on two of the most reviled.

There's also ALSO the question of whether you're counting just that one moment of Haruka and Michiru's ridiculousness, or whether that's apart of a larger pattern of behavior with them. I'd say it's pretty consistent with everything they do in the Shadow Galactica arc in the anime.

That said, I do think the hokiest of all the arcs you mentioned is Mamoru's future-vision breakup. How on earth was that meant to preserve, rather than endanger, the timeline? I think King Endymion had a head injury or something. I could more easily believe it was some sinister plot by Wiseman, or a secretly-corrupted Sailor Pluto, to get him to corrupt the timeline that simply failed, but there's nothing really pointing at any such thing, that's just me making stuff up. For fanfiction purposes I just sorta avoid bringing up this snippet of the history because it seems so goofy. So that's #1 by your ranking system, I suppose.

The Senshi/Shitennou storyline of Crystal, I think, wasn't necessarily a bad idea (even though I absolutely love the Naru/Nephrite arc and the Zoisite/Kunzite arc of the first anime), but it was very underdeveloped. We saw basically nothing about how or why these characters got along or had any interest in each other, as if they simply slotted in together by job alone. (In the manga, Rei and Makoto pretty much gruesomely kill Jadeite and Nephrite on sight at first meeting!) It falls flat because they failed to have the characters interact to a meaningful or personal extent. Which applies to an awful lot of the manga, practically all side characters in the early arcs, in my opinion, but that's just me being grumpy and off-topic.

I read this one fanfic on The Nephrite and Naru Treasury, which characterized those parings (written before Crystal even existed, back when people shipped it just because of that one chapter intro page in the manga) as Silver Millennium era politically-convenient arranged romances. In the context of that fanfic, Nephrite wasn't playing along (neither were Kunzite and Zoisite, secretly) and he had a secret romance with one of Princess Serenity's handmaidens (guess who) which ultimately ended in tragedy due to their king being an awful person. But I feel like that take was much better thought through and kinda fits the weird vibe.

There's some seeds for Kunzite/Venus that are kind of cute in the Sailor V manga (and I think maybe somewhere else?) but those didn't even make it into Crystal! Bogus. I suppose I could call that one #2.

I would like to see a better-written "Sen/Shi" romance just for the sake of it though. Someone less attached to the '90s anime pairings than me should write a good one, or perhaps they have and I haven't encountered it yet (anyone got any fanfic recommendations of that)?

I'm also gonna be a little off-kilter her and say I don't really see what harm the Sen/Shi thing did to Crystal's story compared to the manga, aside from little things like Makoto's "Usagi Tsukino" joke. Maybe it undermines the empowerment of the Inner Senshi or something but honestly I don't think having them be brutal killers without a second thought was much better anyway. In short, I find both manga and Crystal versions of the Dark Kingdom arc to be equally unfulfilling and somewhat lacking in character development. :dead: And on the bright side they both have that cool 'Endmyion's guardians' reveal, which slots so well into the '90s anime.

Haruka and Michiru gel a lot better for me once I start thinking of them as misguided, sympathetic villains (sort of like Zoisite and Kunzite). Or in 'Exalted' terms, their Conviction is through the roof and their Compassion is low. We watch over the course of three seasons (more like two since they only have one appearance in SuperS, in the special; and the movie I guess) as they gradually slide into outright villainy during Sailor Stars and wind up with their own tragic end for it. But I don't think this is dumb or badly written, just, not the heroic arc people really expect from them or sometimes attribute to them. I'm not ranking this one, I like it for what it is in the end.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:56 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
i voted for everything but break up arc.I don't have any problems with break up arc.I even like it

and although i dislike general :love: sailors death arc (i used to strongly hate it when i first watched but now just mildly dislike) ,i dislike the hachiru rebellion arc even more.I,also want to pretend ep 126 doesn't exist :ohdear: maybe that's because i don't like s.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:46 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
SenshixShitennou by far. The break up arc only damaged Mamoru's character, but SxS damaged every character involved in these pairings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:10 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Number 3 - The 'General :love: Sailor' Death Arc
I rank this the lowest since the :usagi: manga is pretty much a tragedy especially when you get to Stars manga.

Number 2 - The King Hologram Break Up Arc
Big reveal gives you a :wtf: moment.

And my personal numero uno - The Hachiru Rebellion Arc
Too many :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:s. This episode for me is like a "What if..." dream episode like that Tenten episode of Naruto wherein everyone acts out of character when everyone on the planet was cursed by a genjutsu.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:18 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
My number one is the Inners/Generals.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:36 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
3 Hachiru rebellion I'm lost on that one :? :? :? :? :googly:
if you mean Haruka - Michiru as seen in S then that don't bug me one bit
S is my fav so you not gonna hear me complain about it

2 Sen X Shi is the second worst thing in all of SM but has nothing on number one
hated the idea long before crystal

1 the break up arc - worst arc ever :| do I even need to explain why it makes me furious?
well any chance at me liking chiba was thrown out the window before that but this arc sealed the deal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:38 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
^ Curse you, Chibaka-kun! :x

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:33 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Maybe his Metallia-energy infection went into remission for a little while?