* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Naoko Interview in FRAU
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
For the December issue of FRAU, a women's magazine, manga artist Waki Yamamoto interviewed (was interviewed along with?) Naoko Takeuchi. Miss Dream has scans of the magazine on their website:

https://missdream.org/raw-sailor-moon-d ... mber-2017/

(Larger scans available at: http://paper.wildmushroomland.com/frau-december-2017/ )

No word yet as to whether or not they plan on translating it, so I thought I'd post the link here in case anyone on here wants to read it and see if Naoko reveals anything new/interesting.

It's = It Is. Its = Possessive form of It.

Post subject: Re: New Naoko Interview in FRAU
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:17 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Kuiper Belt
Pretty cool. Naoko in 2017.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:24 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Cool. I think I'm ready for Stars. Just to see the Senshi in their new suits in action and how Toei will animate them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:34 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I've tried to translate some of the interview (page 2, to be exact) using an OCR and Google, so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I can make out so far:

What inspired "Sailor Moon"?

Naoko reveals that she started out drawing ordinary romance manga but found that boring (and was possibly finding it hard to work with her editors at the time?). But then Osabu became her editor and asked her what her favorite thing was, and out of that conversation the idea for "Sailor Moon" was born.

Why did she put her heroines in sailor suits?

Naoko says she was a fan of manga series coming out at that time, like "Sukeban Deka," that featured characters in school uniforms, so she thought it would be interesting to do the same.

Why a team of superheroines?

Naoko confesses that during elementary school, she was addicted to shoujo manga and anime and tokusatsu. She especially liked "Majokko Megu-chan," "Sally the Witch," "Chappy the Witch," and "Hana no Ko Lunlun." She was also a huge fan of the series "Devilman" which she watched when she came home from kindergarten. She was shocked by how sad and intense the story was and went on to include such elements in "Sailor Moon." In fact, Eternal Sailor Moon's wings are a bit of an homage to Devilman's wings!

- Naoko also notes that she never expected to do a fantasy series herself and never thought of a typical pattern of fantasy stories or characters. As she increased the number of Sailor Soldiers, the manga became harder to draw.

- Mentions Sailor Moon's iconic hairstyle was inspired by her own as she used to be an odango-atama herself. She gave Usagi long hair because she feels long hair is girly and that a woman can uniquely express her emotions through her hair.

- Says something about wanting to do a reverse harem love story with lots of handsome men? (I can't really get Google's translation for that part to make sense, so hopefully someone does a proper translation soon.)

- Says "Sailor Moon's" popularity with nerds/otaku was unexpected, but she loves seeing all the fan comics and parodies and is blown away by how talented the fans are.

- She says the manga was tough to do but nothing compared to the tremendous effort involved in making the anime at the same time.

- Mentions Medvedeva (the figure skater who does routines dressed up as Sailor Moon) and how she can't get over the impact Sailor Moon still has.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:44 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
^^^^this is very interesting

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:19 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
They let kids watch Devilman in Japan or did she sneak and watch it? Lol and iM surprised I didn't see any Cutey Honey reference in there somewhere.

Is Naoko's mind really blown Sailor Moon is still popular or is that the wind from her speeding in her Porsche?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:15 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
Is Naoko's mind really blown Sailor Moon is still popular or is that the wind from her speeding in her Porsche?

Oh noes. I was scrolling through this thread thinking of a new sportcar joke to post, but you beat me to it. :blue:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:35 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
As a bit of an aside, this magazine also includes a section of Sailor Moon inspired horoscopes by Ivy Akane, and I thought this was a bit funny/interesting:

"Sailor Ouranos." Typo? Intentional new spelling? :P

Last edited by MementoNepenthe on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
"Sailor Ouranus." Typo? Intentional new spelling? :P

After some googling I think that's the way its spelt in the old days. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranus_(mythology)

Quote:
Uranus (/ˈjʊərənəs, jʊˈreɪnəs/; Ancient Greek Οὐρανός, Ouranos [oːranós] meaning "sky" or "heaven") was the primal Greek god personifying the sky.

I personally think its better spelt that way as some english speakers laugh at mentioning or pronouncing UR ANUS. :googly:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:09 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I'm aware that "Ouranos" is an alternative / older spelling; it's just never been used in the context of Sailor Moon before (as far as I know) so I found it interesting. I feel like it does match the way her name is pronounced, so I wouldn't mind if they continued to use that spelling. :)

Anyway, I've ~translated~ a bit more of the interview. It seems very interesting so I do hope someone (whether Miss Dream or someone else) does a proper translation soon. For all I know, everything Google has said is completely wrong.

From the last page of the interview (page 3):

- Naoko says she likes reading stories that are dark and sad. Compared to Yamato's work, she feels her own stories are shallow.
- Yamato says she's read Sailor Moon many times and Takeuchi gets embarrassed.

-Naoko says something about how it was hard for her to incorporate deeper/more complex moral elements into the story because she'd never written such a story before, and she cried a lot in frustration??? (Google's translation for this part was very garbled so I hope I'm getting that right.)
- She felt that "it shouldn't be easy to defeat evil." Her editor told her that her work was dark or too serious at times, but she (Naoko) said there had to be dark parts since the girls were facing serious troubles. Without darkness, stories would have no depth.
- She admits though that since "Nakayoshi" is a magazine targeting a young demographic, she may have gone too far, but she likes stories where heroes suffer and grow from that.
- Says there were many times when she thought she should have just done another ordinary romance.

- Naoko says she was frequently asked in interviews, "Sailor Moon depicts the independence of a woman. Should a woman be strong?"
- Yamoto says the answer is obvious; surely women think women should be strong.
- Naoko agrees. Says she was very puzzled about that, and after she got married and started raising her children, she really began to feel that women are tough. She concludes by saying she feels the world is finally ready for strong women.

So once again I'll add my disclaimer that I don't know Japanese and did this via an OCR and Google Translate, so who knows how much of this is accurate. Hopefully a proper translation will be completed soon. But based on this my impression of Naoko is that she is sweet, funny, humble, and super dorky. Definitely not that materialist control freak some would have us believe her to be.

Last edited by MementoNepenthe on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:20 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
- She felt that "it shouldn't be easy to defeat evil." Her editor told her that her work was dark or too serious at times, but she (Naoko) said there had to be dark parts since the girls were facing serious troubles. Without darkness, stories would have no depth.

How I wished those Stars writers had this mentality for the filler MOTD episodes. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:42 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
rgveda99 wrote:
I personally think its better spelt that way as some english speakers laugh at mentioning or pronouncing UR ANUS. :googly:

Well, not like "OUR ANUS" sounds better tbh, although it's certainly more inclusive.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:10 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
It's "Ouranos" not "Ouranus" actually (my bad for the typos in my comments), pronounced "uhr-ah-nohs" not "our anus." :cool: So the new spelling definitely would avoid such unfortunate wordplay.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:04 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
MementoNepenthe wrote:
It's "Ouranos" not "Ouranus" actually (my bad for the typos in my comments), pronounced "uhr-ah-nohs" not "our anus." :cool: So the new spelling definitely would avoid such unfortunate wordplay.

Could that be their actual reason for changing to that new spelling? :lol:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:56 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I really love how Naoko came across in this interview, so I hope your attempted translation isn't too far off the mark, MementoNepenthe. :smug: Fingers crossed someone can double-check the accuracy here soon.

Never expected Devilman to have been an inspiration for Sailor Moon, but it does explain a lot. Suddenly all those nightmares of things like flesh melting off people's faces make a lot more sense. :lol:

MementoNepenthe wrote:
- She admits though that since "Nakayoshi" is a magazine targeting a young demographic, she may have gone too far, but she likes stories where heroes suffer and grow from that.

My kind of creator. :love:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:11 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
Say what, The Blizzard Prince?! DevilMan was an inspiration for Sailor Moon! My goodness. That was one of the most intriguing things I got from this interview. :shocked:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:28 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Quote:
She was also a huge fan of the series "Devilman"

Interesting. So that's why Rei is a fan of "Devilman."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:25 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
"Devilman"

*rolls eyes*

Will she ever talk about "Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine" (well, she did, but only once), the "Silver Crystal" Swarovski candle holders. the CHANEL clothes, and everything else that actually influenced the making of "Sailor Moon"?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
I'd never heard of "Devilman" before, but reading about it on Wikipedia, it's interesting how its development mirrors Sailor Moon's. Toei approached Go Nagai about turning his "Demon Lord Dante" manga into an anime which lead to the creation of "Devilman" (similar to how "Codename Sailor V" led to "Sailor Moon"), and the "Devilman" manga began a month before the anime adaptation premiered (again, similar to how the "Sailor Moon" manga began a month before its anime adaptation premiered). It's funny how some things work out.

Clow wrote:
Will she ever talk about "Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine" (well, she did, but only once), the "Silver Crystal" Swarovski candle holders. the CHANEL clothes, and everything else that actually influenced the making of "Sailor Moon"?

Quote:
*rolls eyes*

I love you Clow, but build a bridge! Your endless harping on about Poitrine is about as stale as the sports car jokes around here. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:01 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
To be fair, I never heard of Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine before Clow mentioned it. Then again, my familiarity with the non-Sailor-Moon sentai genre is largely limited to Spiderman:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:45 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
MementoNepenthe wrote:
I'd never heard of "Devilman" before, but reading about it on Wikipedia, it's interesting how its development mirrors Sailor Moon's. Toei approached Go Nagai about turning his "Demon Lord Dante" manga into an anime which lead to the creation of "Devilman" (similar to how "Codename Sailor V" led to "Sailor Moon"), and the "Devilman" manga began a month before the anime adaptation premiered (again, similar to how the "Sailor Moon" manga began a month before its anime adaptation premiered). It's funny how some things work out.

"Devilman," the manga, is a masterpiece. Truly frightening. I can see how it relates a bit to Stars.

So... serious question here... she seriously made no mentions to Porsches during the interview?

Spoiler: show
Car jokes have never gone out of style.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:00 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
My feminist queen :love:

I feel for her frustrations with writing a story and trying to incorporate deeper elements. Writing can be really tough and Naoko tends to sound very self-critical of her own work. But as I re-read the manga I think that she accomplished so much with the Stars arc alone regarding these "deeper" themes and showed Sailor Moon's character growth in a splendid way.

Clow wrote:

For what end? She'd potentially set herself up for a lawsuit lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:23 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Mitsukara wrote:
To be fair, I never heard of Bishoujo Kamen Poitrine before Clow mentioned it. Then again, my familiarity with the non-Sailor-Moon sentai genre is largely limited to Spiderman:

That's a pretty interesting Japanese show & take on the classic Marvel superhero back then, featuring some novel, very Japanese accessories for the character, including a transformable giant robot ( lol ) & a funny-looking "spider car," as seen in those pics you linked in the above quote. I wish they'd have produced the Japanese versions of the other Marvel/DC superheroes too after that - too bad that's never been realized. lol

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:43 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
An anime version of the Batman manga that came out in the 60s would have been great. A live action show would have been interesting as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:22 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
MementoNepenthe wrote:
An anime version of the Batman manga that came out in the 60s would have been great. A live action show would have been interesting as well.

Yeah, :D but I've also always suspected that the designs of Devilman & some vintage giant robots at the time are inspired/influenced by Batman - someone should ask Nagai about that. lol

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:37 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:

I love how dark and serious the manga can be, but considering Nakayoshi's demographic I would have avoided scenes like Black Lady kissing her father(even if they were brainwashed).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:14 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:

I love how dark and serious the manga can be, but considering Nakayoshi's demographic I would have avoided scenes like Black Lady kissing her father(even if they were brainwashed).

BTW, the scriptwriter of PGSM has also been criticized for her plots being too mature for kids. lol

My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:42 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
MementoNepenthe wrote:
- She says the manga was tough to do but nothing compared to the tremendous effort involved in making the anime at the same time.

And people still think she hates the anime.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:17 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
They let kids watch Devilman in Japan or did she sneak and watch it? Lol and iM surprised I didn't see any Cutey Honey reference in there somewhere.

Japan is a bit stricter about graphic content on TV nowadays than they were back then, but Japan is typically less strict than America is about kids watching more mature anime. Fist of the North Star ran in Shonen Jump and was marketed at kids too in spite of all it's extreme violence. In a way though, America isn't that different. I knew plenty of American kids growing up who used to play the Mortal Kombat games all the time, either by sneaking past their parents or their parents didn't care. I'm sure there are kids today who do the same thing with violent video games. But I find the Devilman inspiration to be interesting since as far as I'm aware, this is the first time I've heard Naoko cite Devilman as an inspiration for Sailor Moon.

Quote:
So is Naoko the George R.R. Martin of shoujo manga?

Quote:
Will JK Rowling ever admit she stole Harry Potter from The Worst Witch?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:41 am 
Planeta
Planeta
SignorinaTsukino wrote:
MementoNepenthe wrote:

I wonder if "Sailor Moon" was the first and only series ran by Nakayoshi that featured such extreme things (e.g. Black Lady kissing her father).

CLAMP did Magic Knight Rayearth, but there was only blood that I saw. Nothing as extreme as what Naoko did, especially in the Stars arc.