Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: I heard naoko really hated the anime ..
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:20 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 141 months ago
inactive
.. is this true? I forgot where I saw it, but it was on a sailormoon site. I'm aware she wasn't happy with all the aspects of the anime, but .. is it true she really HATED it as a whole?

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:23 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 93 months ago
inactive
I seriously doubt that. Otherwise, I'm sure the anime wouldn't have inspired many of her pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:44 pm 
inactive
This is what the person said:

"according to naoko, the anime was EVIL!"

it doesnt say that she hated it .. but if she thought it was evil, then that's sorta the same thing.

I'm not sure if it's true, because in the interview with naoko in the first season omake, she was pleased with how it turned out .. but that was only about the first season, i'm guessing since that interview is kinda old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:03 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 24 months ago
inactive
Where did you get that quote? SOS? :roll:

I've heard that Naoko wasn't entirely happy with some directions the anime took, but I doubt she thought it was "evil."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:06 pm 
inactive
OK ..I think it was from when I signed up on MIRC to try and download PGSM eps. In the #PGSM channel, someone there said that. I thought it was a site I had heard it from >_<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:58 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 94 months ago
inactive
I kinda heard that too. But I think it was in response to the way it was dubbed into English. I think I saw that at SOS. But I don't pay much attention to what I read there so, bleh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:28 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 101 months ago
inactive
I know she mentioned in one of the side notes in the manga that she felt the Outers in the anime feel like completely different people. But she meant it in a humourous way. If she didn't like the anime, she wouldn't have continued to sell the rights to Toei to continue making the anime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:38 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 152 months ago
inactive
genkib wrote:
I know she mentioned in one of the side notes in the manga that she felt the Outers in the anime feel like completely different people. But she meant it in a humourous way. If she didn't like the anime, she wouldn't have continued to sell the rights to Toei to continue making the anime.

She sold the rights to Toei to make the anime. You only have to do that once.
She said that she didn't like how the Outer senshi were handled in the anime. And, honestly, they are quite different from the manga personalities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:46 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 33 months ago
inactive
I heard she didn't like them making the Starlights guys, but I don't think she hated the series. I don't even know if that's true. If she did, wow that really sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:05 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 55 months ago
inactive
Yeah... I know she didn't like the way the Outers were portrayed (as do I) and how the Starlights are guys that turn into girls... But she still likes it enough. You can see one of the manga pictures as the senshi with ribbons and stuff, which was inspired by the anime transformation sequences.
You have to think about it like this: Nobody's gonna love it when their work and creativity is changed around, but Naoko doesn't hate it.

Post subject: Hmm...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:59 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 16 months ago
inactive
I remember Naoko addressing this question in 1998 at the San Diego Comic Con. She said that she was surprised by certain changes that were made but, as far as I know, stopped way short of saying that she hated the anime. This is consistent with an opinion she once voiced in one of her liner notes concerning "Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Super S", so I-m guessing that she was being sincere. Considering that she watched the anime almost religiously according to her occasional statements in her liner notes, I'd be very surprised if this was hypocrisy on her part.

To be completely honest, however, I strongly suspect that, while she's indeed being sincere about her feelings, she's being diplomatic towards the series writers to an extent. I'm quite certain that, if you stripped away all pretentiousness and good-naturedness from her, her review of the anime, while still positive, might not be as glowing. She's commented in one interview that the manga and the anime have different feels to them, at least in part because there're male writers on staff in the latter case.

In cases such as this, however, complete honesty is unmerited and would probably be disasterous socially and financially. I mean, if someone took something you did and you thought their adaptation of the source material sucked hard, chances are that if you came right out and said it, that would probably the last time someone approached you with a licensing or business deal for a while.

The Lunar Archivist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:01 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 134 months ago
inactive
The only things I've read about that Naoko said about the english dubbed version was that usagi's voice wasn't high-pitched enough (I assume she's talking about Terri hawkes, considering this was before the CWI dub). She also said the american dolls were ugly... but I think that's about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:46 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 157 months ago
inactive
Only think I heard was that she didn't want the StarLights to be male. And besides, HATING the anime sounds harsh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:49 pm 
inactive
TuxedoMyu wrote:
She also said the american dolls were ugly... but I think that's about it.

Haha .. the american dolls WERE ugly .. they were like the most messed up dolls out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:18 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 128 months ago
inactive
It's a pretty common misconception among Sailormoon fans that Naoko HATES the anime.
Hates, no. Disappointed at times? Yes.

I'll quote the liner notes for tankouban 10 (Naoko's "The Ten Best Bad Shocks":

4) Rei's personality being different in the anime and the manga. (It's still a bit of a regret for me. But as people like both versions of Rei, I'm happy.)

5) Not being able to keep the manga and anime having the same story. (Even though I know it's impossible, I still regret it.)

---
(Note that was Tokyopop's translation from back in the day.)

From what I've gathered, that was her general feel towards the changes that were made. Disappointed, but definately not enraged. She was happy we liked it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:20 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 90 months ago
inactive
:? I know she had some issues with some of the aspects of the five anime seasons, especially the "S", SuperS, and STARS seasons, but in a series that lasted as long as Sailor Moon, and featuring such a large cast of characters, I don't think it should be looked upon as shocking that Naoko-chan wasn't wild about a few aspects of the series.
I certainly don't recall hearing her quoted as saying that she "hated" the anime series entirely; just her wishing that some items of the anime could have been developed and presented differently. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:24 pm 
inactive
Quote:
Haha .. the american dolls WERE ugly .. they were like the most messed up dolls out there.

I beg to differ. I loved the faces and uniforms on these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:38 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 93 months ago
inactive
Mark91 wrote:

You're far sighted, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:59 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 82 months ago
inactive
DoseiNoSenshi wrote:
Mark91 wrote:

LOL. Now, now, girls, you're BOTH pretty...

Anyway, my two cents are that 'evil' would be a very strong way to put things, especially since Naoko-sama had to trust Toei enough for her to sell the rights to them.

And, not to turn this into a rumor mill about Takeuchi-san, but I took an anime class a couple of years back at my college, and my instructor actually said that Naoko hates doujinshis (sp?) and other fan stories and that she's an all-around not-very-nice person. I found this hard to swallow, seeing as she's always come off as so down-to-earth and fun-loving in her manga liner notes and magazine interviews, but I gave my instructor the benefit of the doubt. Is there any merit to this rumor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:18 pm 
inactive
naoko hates doujinshi and is not a nice person? sure ..

is that why she had so many doujinshi in her infinity artbook, and, how could someone mean create such beautiful things?

epecially in her interviews, she always seemed so nice and quiet and shy. So why would that guy say that?

maybe he twisted somethings around, I can't see that as being true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:41 pm 
inactive
That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to say anything, for fear that I might be wrong. I mean, that guy (my instructor) has an advanced grasp of the Japanese language and has visited there on many occasions, and I'm just a lowly SM-obsessie, so you can see why I didn't dare challenge that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:46 pm 
inactive
well, regardless of what he knows or where he's visited, he could still be wrong.

Or maybe he actually met naoko and caught her on a bad day or something. =D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:48 pm 
inactive
I suppose, even manga kas are allowed an off day every now and then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:42 am 
inactive
Quote:

Not sure. I like them far better than Irwins....with the packing with the Japanese Logo on it.....those, not the 1997 ones which were just like Bandai's.......
(looks too far into SM dolls)
But seriosuly, I DO like them, found one at a yard sale and been happy since :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:57 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 123 months ago
inactive
Trident Beam wrote:
That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to say anything, for fear that I might be wrong. I mean, that guy (my instructor) has an advanced grasp of the Japanese language and has visited there on many occasions, and I'm just a lowly SM-obsessie, so you can see why I didn't dare challenge that.

Um actually I think Naoko really likes fanart and fanfiction, in my Tokyopop Volume 10 their are several "Best 10 Lists" including Ten Best Presents - The presents with the most impact from everyone. and number three on this list is:

Naoko-sensei wrote:
3) Sailor Sun Designs.
(There are so many. Apparently this is a scout with the blessings of the sun. I got a lot of designs for Sailor Saturn before she appeared. Please make up all sorts of Sailor Scouts and send them to me ♥.)

Also number eight is:

Naoko-sensei wrote:
8) Pirate Goods.
(They're a laugh. The pictures are so bad.)

She also talks about pirate goods collecting elesewhere in her notes too. So maybe she dislikes doujinshi as they are not free to other fans (it is not like doujinshi-ka make masses of money off of the stuff, the costs usually barely cover the printing costs) but she definately like fan fiction and fanart.

She drew this in book 2 as well. Of course I am going the Tokyopop versions here I wouldn't know what the original (pre-re issue) was/is like but I expect not too different. Yeah Tokyopop screwed stuff up but I don't expect they drastically altered these notes.

Attachments:
File comment: A none bunny Naoko self portrait
naokoonfanfics.jpg
naokoonfanfics.jpg [ 108.69 KiB | Viewed 9594 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:37 pm 
inactive
She mentioned Pirate Goods in one of my manga, it was a plastic or rubber Sailor Moon Wig from the streets of Hong Kong. Also not sure if it was bootleg she mentioned an inflatible Sailor Moon that Usagi was hugging in one of the back pages, Tuxedo Kamen was commenting on how you could see her panties and how he wanted one....

Post subject: He's Wrong! :P
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:05 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 16 months ago
inactive
Trident Beam, you instructor's completely wrong. I mentioned it in my Doujinshi Database FAQ briefly, but it's worth cutting and pasting here:

I seriously doubt Naoko Takeuchi hates doujinshi considering that two of her assistant artists, Shou Izumi and Kumiko Kanjou (alias Madoka Ohmori), released Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon doujinshi of their own - And ones aimed at more mature audiences, no less! - but so have many of the professional illustrators and mangaka who contributed artwork to the extremely rare Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon - Original Image Collection Volume that Naoko Takeuchi self-published a few years ago!

And that's that. :)

The Lunar Archivist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:09 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 24 months ago
inactive
tsukino usagi wrote:
and, how could someone mean create such beautiful things?

Easily.

You can't judge an artist or author based on their work. Being able to recognize and create beauty has little to do with the face they choose to present to the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:27 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I've also heard that Naoko isn't a very nice person....but I would like to give Naoko the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, she very well could be a nice person and also a brat.

I mean, I bet Naoko isn't an 100% angel or 100% devil. Maybe 49% angel, and 51% ☹. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:50 pm 
inactive
KerochanNoMiko wrote:
tsukino usagi wrote:
and, how could someone mean create such beautiful things?

well, maybe it's just me, but I believe that to create such beautiful things, you must have to be a beautiful person yourself, but I can see how that doesn't always apply.

Anyways, hans met naoko .. so, what was she really like?