* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Well...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:23 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 16 months ago
inactive
That's true...I'm actually one of the few - if not the only - individuals on this board to have actually met Naoko Takeuchi. What follows, then, is my own impression of her, but, personal opinions being what they are, I suggest you take it as one lucky fan's viewpoint and thus with a grain of salt - no more and no less.

I first met Naoko Takeuchi on August 13, 1998, I believe, at the 1998 San Diego Comic Con when she was signing autographs. While she did "limit" everyone to one autograph each, this was because there were quite a number of people in line and she wanted to give everyone a chance to get one. Though she didn't personalize autographs, she did take time to pose for pictures with some people and said a little "Sankyuu!" ("Thank you!") to everyone who handed her something to sign.

Also, before the convention, she apparently took the time to wander the convention hall with a security entourage to look around at the "Sailor Moon" merchandise being sold. There's a legend about one vendor selling bootleg merchandise that didn't want to give her anything free even after finding out who she was, but that's something of an urban legend that I can't confirm or deny took place. Even if I did, I have no idea if she asked for it for free (which I doubt) or if fans merely assumed she should get it free because of who she was. However, she didn't seem to mind mingling with "the common folk", as it were, so I'd say at the very least from this that she isn't stuck up.

What sticks in my mind the most was what happened during the discussion panel of hers I attended, which, in my opinion, pretty much dispels the idea of her being a stuck-up ☹, I think. At one point, I waved at her from the audience while the room was being set up and she was sitting up at the podium, and she smiled and waved back at me. She also mentioned being impressed and surprised that so many people came to see her, even though the room was only about a third full (though it was admittedly a large room).

While there was a regular question and answer part to her panel, though, Naoko did two things that I have, in my six years of convention attendance, never seen anyone else do: first, she actually turned the tables on the audience and wanted to ask us questions. Second, she was so impressed by three girls who came dressed as the Sailor Star Lights that she actually asked THEM if they THEY would be willing to take a picture with HER after the panel ended. To me, that hardly sounds like the actions of someone who's self-absorbed and keeps her fans at a distance. She even leaned over the podium after the talk ended after I handed her a rose and some chocolate to take a picture with me, though, unfortunately, that picture didn't turn out. I swear, I wanted to cry when I found that out and I'm determined to meet her again one day.

It's possible that I'm seeing what happened six years ago in through rose-colored glasses, but, in my opinion, Naoko Takeuchi is one of the warmer and more down-to-earth guests I've ever had the honor of meeting, albeit briefly. I get the feeling that, if time and circumstance had allowed, she would've loved to talk to each one of us personally. However, things being what they were, she was a pretty "hands-off guest" , though I attribute this more to security measures to ensure her safety than anything she wanted done.

Comments and questions are welcome.

The Lunar Archivist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:04 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 94 months ago
inactive
:heart: Thank you. I am very relieved to hear that she isn't as evil as some would make her out to be. Like someone else said everyone has an off day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:43 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 89 months ago
inactive
UndeadPrincess wrote:
how the Starlights are guys that turn into girls...

You mean that the Starlights are not guys turned into girls (when transformed) in the Manga? I don't like the Starlights season because of that. Seems weird to me even though it's just an anime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:35 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 123 months ago
inactive
Serenathy wrote:
UndeadPrincess wrote:

You mean that the Starlights are not guys turned into girls (when transformed) in the Manga? I don't like the Starlights season because of that. Seems weird to me even though it's just an anime.

I'm guessing you wouldn't like Ranma 1/2 then, anyway technically the Starlights aren't guys that turn into girls, but girls that took on male civilian form anfd revert to female form when they transform (i.e. they were originally girls not originally boys) but now I'm nitpicking (sorry).

I think it is a interesting - if werid - quirk myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:23 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 152 months ago
inactive
To clarify a bit more, in the manga, the Starlights are basically like Haruka. They pretend to be men in order to complete their mission. However, they don't have any genitalia rearrangement. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:18 am 
inactive
They did it to be more attractive to their princess, I think. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:21 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 89 months ago
inactive
The_Otaku_Witch wrote:
Serenathy wrote:
UndeadPrincess wrote:

I'm guessing you wouldn't like Ranma 1/2 then...

No..I don't mind Ranma at all, I total understand...it's just the starlights that weird me out. I sound bias don't I, probably because Sailor is one of my favorites.

Takaj wrote:
However, they don't have any genitalia rearrangement. :D

Thank goodness!
:lol:
Cracks me up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:06 pm 
inactive
fiendishlycute wrote:

uhh..not quite.
They did it in order to become more attractive to fans. So that they would be a big musical success and their voices would reach as much of the planet as posssible because they didn't know where Kakyuu was.
Good plan, in my opinion. They look a bit too butch to be commercially big as female singers, and eeeeeeveryone knows how big the boy bands can get.
"Three Lights Back ALL RIGHT!"
*snickers*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:34 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
takaj wrote:
*snickers*

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:41 am 
inactive
takaj wrote:
fiendishlycute wrote:

uhh..not quite.
They did it in order to become more attractive to fans. So that they would be a big musical success and their voices would reach as much of the planet as posssible because they didn't know where Kakyuu was.
Good plan, in my opinion. They look a bit too butch to be commercially big as female singers, and eeeeeeveryone knows how big the boy bands can get.
*snickers*

Thanks for the clarification. And that boy band thing is funny as hell!

Post subject: Re: He's Wrong! :P
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:19 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 82 months ago
inactive
Lunar Archivist wrote:
Trident Beam, you instructor's completely wrong.

Yeah, I've pretty much come to that same conclusion after reading all this heresay (for lack of a better way putting it). Thanks for dispelling such malicious rumors; I don't think I could live in a world in which such a beloved person (Ms. Takeuchi) would be so bad to her faithful followers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:29 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Is there any chance of Naoko Takeuchi coming to another convention? Does she go to any in Japan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:32 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 13 months ago
inactive
We should send Naoko-sama my fanfiction!

Hey... why is everyone looking at me like that? ;)

Puellizator qui puellas in puellis amat
"Like some cat from Japan, he could lick 'em by smiling"
Kerochan no Miko wrote:
BRING ON THE KINGDOM OF YURI.

KUMA SHOCK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:56 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 38 months ago
inactive
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

That's not a bad idea! Why don't you do that? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:16 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 13 months ago
inactive
Antie wrote:
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

*laugh* I don't know, she might enjoy it...

She did like drawing Rei and Minako together...

Puellizator qui puellas in puellis amat
"Like some cat from Japan, he could lick 'em by smiling"
Kerochan no Miko wrote:
BRING ON THE KINGDOM OF YURI.

KUMA SHOCK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:48 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 39 months ago
inactive
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Antie wrote:
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

*laugh* I don't know, she might enjoy it...

She did like drawing Rei and Minako together...

Hahah. She could make it bedtime reading for her kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:05 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Her kid is so lucky to have both manga artists as parents. :cry: And they're probably rich too! And the kid can have all the Sailormoon he/she wants. Is the kid a girl or a boy? :?

Check out Image!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:10 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 39 months ago
inactive
Sakuya wrote:
Her kid is so lucky to have both manga artists as parents. :cry: And they're probably rich too! And the kid can have all the Sailormoon he/she wants. Is the kid a girl or a boy? :?

A do believe that she has a son.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:09 pm 
inactive
She refers to her child as the Prince, so it's either a boy or Haruka. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:31 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 79 months ago
inactive
I hope that Naoko (and Toei) do a new version of the anime for us, following the original manga story....come on Naoko-sensei....an oav series will be really cool :wink:......

ok Yaten, back to Earth...... :roll: :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:46 pm 
Luna
Luna
You know, maybe they would! I mean with the fandom they built up and the re-release of the manga....maybe?

However, if the rights are back with Naoko now, would that be possible? Would she have to sell the rights again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:56 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Yaten wrote:
I hope that Naoko (and Toei) do a new version of the anime for us, following the original manga story....come on Naoko-sensei....an oav series will be really cool :wink:......

ok Yaten, back to Earth...... :roll: :(

We can always keep our fingers crossed! ^_^

Post subject: Re: I heard naoko really hated the anime ..
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:24 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
A lot of people hated some aspects of the anime, so it’s possible. Naoko is protective of her work I heard.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:28 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cierra Moon wrote:
A lot of people hated some aspects of the anime, so it’s possible. Naoko is protective of her work I heard.

Hating some aspects of the anime doesn't mean hating the anime entirely. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:33 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
if i was naoko,i wouldn't hate it,because even if some aspects are different from the manga,the anime is still based of her imagination and it's enough to not hate it :unsure:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:02 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Cierra Moon wrote:

my thoughts exactly for example I hate the break up arc did that stop me from enjoying the rest of sm? nope

it's ok not to like every single ep story character arc art or music etc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:52 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Cierra Moon wrote:

True. I didn’t mean to say that that was the reason she might hate it. I meant that her being protective over her work and the 90’s anime changing a few things might have made her feel a bit disappointed, and so i said that it was possible

Post subject: Re: Well...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:26 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Lunar Archivist wrote:
That's true...I'm actually one of the few - if not the only - individuals on this board to have actually met Naoko Takeuchi. What follows, then, is my own impression of her, but, personal opinions being what they are, I suggest you take it as one lucky fan's viewpoint and thus with a grain of salt - no more and no less.

I first met Naoko Takeuchi on August 13, 1998, I believe, at the 1998 San Diego Comic Con when she was signing autographs. While she did "limit" everyone to one autograph each, this was because there were quite a number of people in line and she wanted to give everyone a chance to get one. Though she didn't personalize autographs, she did take time to pose for pictures with some people and said a little "Sankyuu!" ("Thank you!") to everyone who handed her something to sign.

Also, before the convention, she apparently took the time to wander the convention hall with a security entourage to look around at the "Sailor Moon" merchandise being sold. There's a legend about one vendor selling bootleg merchandise that didn't want to give her anything free even after finding out who she was, but that's something of an urban legend that I can't confirm or deny took place. Even if I did, I have no idea if she asked for it for free (which I doubt) or if fans merely assumed she should get it free because of who she was. However, she didn't seem to mind mingling with "the common folk", as it were, so I'd say at the very least from this that she isn't stuck up.

What sticks in my mind the most was what happened during the discussion panel of hers I attended, which, in my opinion, pretty much dispels the idea of her being a stuck-up ☹, I think. At one point, I waved at her from the audience while the room was being set up and she was sitting up at the podium, and she smiled and waved back at me. She also mentioned being impressed and surprised that so many people came to see her, even though the room was only about a third full (though it was admittedly a large room).

While there was a regular question and answer part to her panel, though, Naoko did two things that I have, in my six years of convention attendance, never seen anyone else do: first, she actually turned the tables on the audience and wanted to ask us questions. Second, she was so impressed by three girls who came dressed as the Sailor Star Lights that she actually asked THEM if they THEY would be willing to take a picture with HER after the panel ended. To me, that hardly sounds like the actions of someone who's self-absorbed and keeps her fans at a distance. She even leaned over the podium after the talk ended after I handed her a rose and some chocolate to take a picture with me, though, unfortunately, that picture didn't turn out. I swear, I wanted to cry when I found that out and I'm determined to meet her again one day.

It's possible that I'm seeing what happened six years ago in through rose-colored glasses, but, in my opinion, Naoko Takeuchi is one of the warmer and more down-to-earth guests I've ever had the honor of meeting, albeit briefly. I get the feeling that, if time and circumstance had allowed, she would've loved to talk to each one of us personally. However, things being what they were, she was a pretty "hands-off guest" , though I attribute this more to security measures to ensure her safety than anything she wanted done.

Comments and questions are welcome.

The Lunar Archivist

I don't know it it true or not, but I read somewhere Naoko planned this trip on her own with a help a friend to be her translator. With out the help of her publisher or TOEI.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:26 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Wow, bumping a 13-year-old thread :P

I never really read anything outside of the usual unfounded rumors that suggested she didn't like it. The worst thing she seemed to say about it is the lack of certain forms/characters/etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:05 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: The Rei-volution
Seen2 wrote:
Wow, bumping a 13-year-old thread :P

I never really read anything outside of the usual unfounded rumors that suggested she didn't like it. The worst thing she seemed to say about it is the lack of certain forms/characters/etc.

I always thought Naoko hated the DiC/Cloverway dub, not the anime itself...

https://twitter.com/redblade84

Commander-in-Chief of the :rei:volution

Inventor of Chibi Chibi Latin - Learn it here

YKYWTMSMW Compilation Book & Fortunes for Linux: https://github.com/redblade7/smtoomuch/releases