Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: I heard naoko really hated the anime ..
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:34 am 
Yoshi
Yoshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
redblade7 wrote:
Seen2 wrote:
Wow, bumping a 13-year-old thread :P

I never really read anything outside of the usual unfounded rumors that suggested she didn't like it. The worst thing she seemed to say about it is the lack of certain forms/characters/etc.

I always thought Naoko hated the DiC/Cloverway dub, not the anime itself...

I could understand the hate for the cousin thing. ^_^

It was a blatant and unnecessary trolling from Cloverway. :zoid:

To be fair it would not have probably aired at the time when American audiences couldn't even handle Ellen Degeneres' sitcom when she came out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:20 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
According to her notes in one of the volumes of the manga's original release (I think the second volume of SuperS, via the Tokyopop translation, so I suppose take this with a grain of salt), she has/had tapes of the English dub (I assume she got copies of all the dubs?), but when she came to America, she was still excited to watch the dub on TV. She commented on the terrible early morning time slot it got and that she thought Sailor Moon's voice was deep, but other than that I don't think she's ever really said what she thinks of the (original) English dub, or any other dubs for that matter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:36 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
rgveda99 wrote:
it would not have probably aired at the time when American audiences couldn't even handle Ellen Degeneres' sitcom when she came out.

It aired 3 years after Ellen came out but around the time Xena was still on the air and subtext was in full force. If Xena could have Xena and Gabrielle co-parenting, bathing together, declaring each other soul mates and announcing their love and a largely still homophobic turn of the century audience can think “they’re straight” I think Toonami/Cloverway could have gotten away with Amara and Michelle giving meaningful looks and being touchy with each other without the cousin thing. I always thought the dub should have been all “best friends”

And it will never not amuse me for all their efforts it was all kind of futile

^ This was in video stores while the cloverway dub was still on the air. More moral guardians would have seen this image just by going into a best buy or wal-mart or target than even watch the dub