* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Opinions on "Fillers" in the Anime
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:09 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
What of the particular fillers that degrade or detract from a character pre-established development? SuperS had a ton of those.

For instance, the fifth episode of SuperS had Usagi state clearly to Chibiusa that she had every confidence in Mamoru's fidelity towards her, and showing that she felt completely secure and trusting in their relationship. Following this, several episodes would consistently contradict this trusting and confident depiction of Usagi by having her completely freak out and lose her mind at the slightest implication (even incorrect ones) of Mamoru being unfaithful to her, all for the sake of lowbrow comedy. In other words, these episodes gutted Usagi of her developmental growth in favor of making her behave like an idiot for our amusement. Thanks, SuperS. :|

Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!

Last edited by Sabrblade on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:34 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sabrblade wrote:
What of the particular fillers that degrade or detract from a character pre-established development? SuperS had a ton of those.

For instance, the fifth episode of SuperS had Usagi state clearly to Chibiusa that she had every confidence in Mamoru's fidelity towards her and showed to be completely secure and trusting in their relationship. Following this, several episodes would consistently contradict this trusting and confident depiction of Usagi by having her completely freak out and lose her mind as the slightest implication (even incorrect ones) of Mamoru being unfaithful to her, all for the sake of lowbrow comedy. In other words, these episodes gutted Usagi of her developmental growth in favor of making her behave like an idiot for our amusement. Thanks, SuperS. :|

Yeah that is one of the reasons I had many issues with SuperS was the character regression for comedy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:15 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
Sabrblade wrote:

For instance, the fifth episode of SuperS had Usagi state clearly to Chibiusa that she had every confidence in Mamoru's fidelity towards her, and showing that she felt completely secure and trusting in their relationship. Following this, several episodes would consistently contradict this trusting and confident depiction of Usagi by having her completely freak out and lose her mind at the slightest implication (even incorrect ones) of Mamoru being unfaithful to her, all for the sake of lowbrow comedy. In other words, these episodes gutted Usagi of her developmental growth in favor of making her behave like an idiot for our amusement. Thanks, SuperS. :|

Sad that people on sailor moon in the later seasons were more interested in repeating jokes,instead developing character with the fillers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:40 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Well I say this, rewatching the show via Hulu, and with the exception of Stars which I haven't seen in a long time, but at the very least among the four canon arcs pre Stars, the Black Moon clan arc in R is by far the best paced of all the canon arcs in the original anime. And that is because it is only 30 episodes, so no mini villain arc over stays their welcome, it doesn't drag like in other seasons, for example we just finished the Amazon Trio part in Sailor Moon SuperS and that took for ever. The story moves at a decent pace. And that is one thing you can thank the Makaji tree arc for making the Black Moon arc shorter. Though I do like the Makaji tree arc myself, but I do appreciate how short the Black Moon arc in R is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:36 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Lioness here! Speaking of the anime, I must say that I'm surprised that there's so much outright hate for it in general...including the classic dub. Isn't that a pretty much why a good chunk of us are here? Just asking.

Me? I like filler! :) I do! Just as long as there isn't any in my hot dogs, I'm good! :D

But seriously, I'm always totally cool with "filler" scenes--as long as there's no character personality derailment or any such shenanigans involved. =^_^=

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:32 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Speaking just for myself, I may dislike things about the anime, but I can't say I hate anything. There were weaker seasons, weaker individual episodes, poor development but as a whole the 90's Sailor Moon remains my favorite anime series.

Ima sugu aitai yo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:03 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Rainbow Goddess
Tbh, I like the balance of fillers and main story line episodes in the 90s anime. To me, the filler episodes kinda gave us a break from the main story and gave us time to chill without wondering what was going to happen next. I do feel like as the seasons went on, the filler episodes became more frequent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:15 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Spectrim wrote:
Purple Heart wrote:
I loved the fillers, they help bulk out character development and give us time to know the main characters better. I mean sure there are some awful ones but hey, nothing can be perfect.

Agreed

That's right! That's exactly right! :keke: Lovely pics and signature, by the way. Mars is my fave! :love:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:08 pm 
Yoshi
Yoshi
They are great for character development. =^_^=

Stars and later part of SuperS not so much. :ohdear:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
There are times when fillers are great. First season had a good amount of fillers, with plot development mixed in at times. They're good because they contributed in letting the audience see and get use to these new characters after they are introduced. But then you have seasons like SuperS, where the majority is filler, no real development occurs and we don't learn new stuff or new characters for the most part.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:35 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: taken :A
i love them very much because they are good for character developments and gives us a lot of episodes to watch and enjoy.There are some fillers i don't like,of course but it's like one episode per season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:58 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
litacan wrote:
i love them very much because they are good for character developments
What about fillers that don't have good character development?

litacan wrote:
and gives us a lot of episodes to watch and enjoy.
What about fillers that aren't that enjoyable to watch?

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:28 am 
Nebula
Nebula
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
^^^i am still ok with them :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:14 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Isn't most of the anime considered filler? I mean I always took filler episodes in anime to mean episodes that are not based on material from the manga. So like the thing that stands out the most to me as filler would be like the whole Makai Tree arc since its not based on anything from the manga. I enjoy a lot of those episodes like the VR laser tag episode the one where Usagi and Mamoru babysit and when Makoto thinks Ail is the moonlight knight and makes him a bento. The anime and the manga are so different thought so it seems confusing for me to think about it any other way. When it comes to filler, in general, it depends on the show for me honestly I love most of the filler in SM I love the characters and if they get more development and time to shine even if its not advancing the overall plot It doesn't bother me. Sometimes I enjoy exploring the world the characters live in and watching them interact doing kind of mundane stuff. Filler gets a bad rep because of the long running shonen shows like Bleach Naruto and One Piece but some shows don't get quite as carried away. When I watch Dragon Ball Kai for example I think its a ☹ shame to skip certain filler episodes of the show like the episode where Vegeta and Nappa save a planet of bug people from a tyrannical ruler and then blow it up as well as the one where Goku and Piccolo try to get their drivers licenses lmao :evillaugh:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:26 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Kasumi wrote:
I really like the SM fillers ^^ They're really funny! Bout I suppose my favorite fillers are all in Sailor Stars...

By far, my favorite filler is that episode when Usagi had to take take of her house. Seiya comes to accompany her, the girls come to watch over them, Haruka and Michiru come because Haruka's car failed, a bunch of guys come (I don't remember why xD), Siren and Crow arrives...

You know the rest xD It's absolutely hilarious! ^^

Another one I really like is the Seiya & Usagi date episode. I almost died laughing :D

Uh yes I love those episodes they give me life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:48 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membership
I like filler for the most part, if it shows consistent character development, is well written and entertaining. At least I feel this way about Sailor Moon- I want the series to last a while when I rewatch it, and since I have a tendency to binge-watch, the buttload of filler helps it last. With every other anime I've watched, with a few exceptions (Lucky Star basically IS filler lmao), I don't want the filler.

There are SOME episodes I'll ditch though, like that weird episode with the dinosaurs. What even was that lol :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:35 pm 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
fillers provide a good buffer between main plot episodes, a chance to know the characters and their everyday life
and a chance to see a side of them that a main ep wouldn't because there's so much going on so fast.

now too much fiiller is not good just ask Naruto P-:

but used sparingly to flesh out a season is just fine turn a 13 ep series into a 24-26 ep series and that's just fine stretch out the main eps
heck turn some main ep's into 2 part chapters so that it's not nor seems rushed and everyone gets to shine even the bad guys victims of the day and minor characters

there should be more chances where we see the inners and outers take out the MOTD
heck as far as to say some full eps where Usagi maybe seen but takes a back seat to say Rei for an ep and maybe if she's with chiba they are out dating or something at the time explaining her not being there with no chance to call her - chiba himself in the 90s has taken back seats like this where he was seen but not involved in fighting the enemy and nobody bats an eye so why not Usagi a few times

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:44 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
Prince Rose wrote:
fillers provide a good buffer between main plot episodes, a chance to know the characters and their everyday life
and a chance to see a side of them that a main ep wouldn't because there's so much going on so fast.

now too much fiiller is not good just ask Naruto P-:

but used sparingly to flesh out a season is just fine turn a 13 ep series into a 24-26 ep series and that's just fine stretch out the main eps
heck turn some main ep's into 2 part chapters so that it's not nor seems rushed and everyone gets to shine even the bad guys victims of the day and minor characters

^ Or ask Bleach, the other series plagued by too much filler.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:05 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Months of membershipMonths of membership
Fillers were necessary for the anime because manga is too short and crumpled (as far as I've read it). E.g. they met Mars and killed Jadeito in third (!) issue. That's no good for an anime.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:25 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
speaking of which i think Jadeite's put on an eternal sleep is a terrible idea.it may be silly but i always felt like he'll wake up.I even wrote a lot of fics about that issue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:25 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
litacan wrote:
speaking of which i think Jadeite's put on an eternal sleep is a terrible idea.it may be silly but i always felt like he'll wake up.I even wrote a lot of fics about that issue
Not unless he and the crystal he was trapped inside were annihilated by the massive explosion the Silver Crystal created to wipe out the whole area of the Dark Kingdom like an atomic bomb in the Season 1 finale. ;)

Prince Rose wrote:
KawaiiMira wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:14 pm 
Nebula
Nebula
^^^that's true i never thought this way before XD