Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Which gender are you?(If you are here, then you are a SM fan)
Male 59%  59%  [ 79 ]
Female 40%  40%  [ 53 ]
Total votes : 132
 Post subject: Sailor Moon-just for girls?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:24 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 112 months ago
inactive
Well,this is a discussion which has been around for quite some time now so I would like you to state your opinion on the matter - is SM as a representative of the "Magical Girl Genre"(Wikipedia) suitable only for girls?Are the boys obsessed with the show having problems with their masculine parts of their brains?Are they much too "gurlish" ?
Or just - how feminine is the show!I don't know how is it with you but in my country when I speak with my male friends about SM they start with -
Oh,that was that show for girls...
:roll:Well,you can imagine my embarrassment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:59 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 85 months ago
inactive
iN my case i know a lot of guys and girls who used to watch it or still watch it,a lot of guys watch it for the action stuff ,and people it s a anime it s made for EVERYONE AND IT S MADE TO ENTERTAIN YOU,LIKE DBZ A LOT OF GIRLS WATCH IT AND I LOVE IT TOO BECAUSE IT S JUST FUN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:44 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Dark Lord
I'm a male and I love SM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:50 pm 
inactive
It seems that the most SM fans are male after all?Or are the girls to shy to participate in forums?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:53 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 92 months ago
inactive
Im male and i love the show.. the show is more pointed to the girls i think but i dont care its a great show =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:21 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 47 months ago
inactive
iliyapeyneshki wrote:
I don't know how is it with you but in my country when I speak with my male friends about SM they start with -
Oh,that was that show for girls...

The response I usually get when talking to other guys is either "I remember a bunch of girls in miniskirts!" :roll: or "Oh yeah, but that show's for little kids." (implying that gender doesn't matter so much as age). If it focused more heavily on mushy romance, then perhaps I'd say it's more geared toward girls. And, if it focused on more cartoonish feats, I'd say it's more geared toward little kids. But, as it stands, the show focuses more on friendship, love in general, and daily life than mushy romance. It also deals with homosexuality and death numerous times, so I have to say that saying it's for little kids is also wrong (although it is a somewhat valid point if you consider the English dub...).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:29 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Dark Lord
Apparently, death is ok to have in kids shows. Look at the Lion King, remember that?

I thought the death in the Lion King was worse than in SM because unlike the ones in SM, the ones in the Lion King don't come back to life.

I'm not going to say its ONLY for little kids, I say that little kids can watch it, but it isn't exclusively for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:50 am 
inactive
You have a very good point there, one that I stupidly overlooked. It's kinda funny, DiC was owned by Disney at the time, and yet they seemed to want to keep the notion of death out of the show (in the last episode of the first season, weren't the "Scouts" supposedly "captured" by the "Negaverse"?), despite the fact that in a lot of Disney movies, people did die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:51 am 
inactive
i'm a guy and i think the show is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:27 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 125 months ago
inactive
I'm a guy. In this day and age, it seems to be okay to be a guy and like SM, but back in 1995 or whatever year it was that SM first came to North America, if you were a guy and liked SM, you were probably considered a ☹ or something. I don't know, I just know it probably wasn't normal. And I was one of the guys who hated it back then and thought it was gay and stupid. 10 years later, I'm a huge fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:35 am 
inactive
I think it's something along the lines of the old adage, "You don't know how much you have until it's gone." When it was around, guys said it was stupid to try to keep up a masculine image (not me!), but now that it's been gone for years, people (including those same guys who ridiculed it) are thinking, "Hey, I guess that wasn't such a bad show after all. I guess it's okay if people like it."

Post subject: shocker!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:31 pm 
this may be surprising but i'm a male and i love sm!
i used to watch it as long as i can remember until they stopped showing it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:43 pm 
inactive
That's not surprising at all; just look at the poll results so far! And you can still watch the show on different websites (see topic "Watch Sailor Moon"), if you want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:55 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 76 months ago
inactive
I'm a male as well and I've loved SM since I was 5 years old. I don't care if this show is for girls or not, I'll always love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:06 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 52 months ago
inactive
I'm a girl, and most people I know who are fans are girls, maybe there're simply more guys on forums, etc? Kinda like most video games are made for guys b/c ppl think that there aren't a lot of girl gamers? I think it's a misconcetion that guys are the big gaming and TV nerds, girls are, too! I LOVE Video Games! Guy and girl ones! I also like some guy oriented anime. I think that ppl saying anime is geared toward a certain gender is fine, but I think that anime and manga overall appeal to both genders, no matter how much you try to aim it toward one gender.
My best friend loves to play any and all Resident Evil games, I have played the Metal Gear Solid games. So what? I'm happy to find that there are guys who like to watch SM!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:09 pm 
inactive
Yeah, the one (yes, that's kinda pathetic, but what can I say?) SM fan that I know is a girl. Most guys are just like "Eh...I used to like it, but I don't really care about it anymore."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:08 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 106 months ago
inactive
At least they don't hate it and show so just to annoy you. I know many of these >.<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:38 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 82 months ago
inactive
Well I guess because there are only female major characters, except maybe Tuxedo Kamen and the style of the cartoon. To tell you the truth, I like Sailor Moon now, but I hated Sailor Moon when I was young. I never watched an episode of it, and I just didn't like it for some reason.. But when I watched for the first time, I begin to like it. And I'm kinda referred as "old" for sailor moon, my parents says. I'm not obsessed as watched all episodes of it, i only watched like 20 episodes, I skipped all episodes and series. :lol: But the story seems interesting... I guess majority of people's judgment makes it seem girly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:11 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 57 months ago
inactive
I'm female, and a big Sailor Moon fan. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:40 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
sailorsgalaxy wrote:
I guess majority of people's judgment makes it seem girly.

There is hardly anything more fallacious than voice of majority. After all, it's the majority of people who sincerely believe that UFOs are real (statistics: http://www.scifi.com/ufo/roper/05.html ) LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:43 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 82 months ago
inactive
That much people believe UFOs? Wow I never knew that.. I thought it was just myth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:37 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 124 months ago
inactive
Im male and I am 19 years old yet here I am on a Sailor Moon forum having friendly discussions with other Sailor Moon fans. Just because a majority of the characters are girls doesnt always mean its a show for girls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:27 am 
inactive
That is so true ^^ I'm female, 18 years old and I can't get enough of Sailor Moon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:53 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 92 months ago
inactive
hehe yea agreed im male 18 year i dont care if the show is pointed to the girls i love it anyway :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:27 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 124 months ago
inactive
I'm a girl and I remember wanting to watch what happened next during a season of DragonBallZ and that anime is "supposed to be for guys" seeing 90% of the characters were men and did "manly things."

In the same way, I don't see why guys can't like a show "supposed to be for girls."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:35 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 52 months ago
inactive
I agree w/you all (I was going to say guys, but girls are here, too) completely! I'm also 18 by the way! (If you couldn't guess by my screenname) ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:16 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 76 months ago
inactive
I'm a guy and I love shojo anime. :P I don't like shonen one though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:25 am 
inactive
I actually haven't seen too many animes...but I know I also like Tokyo Mew Mew, another supposedly "girly" (otherwise known, as liebesspiel said, as shoujo) anime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:19 am 
inactive
Me too x3 Only, I don't like the anime, I love the manga (except the sequel, TMM A La Mode *bleh*)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:03 pm 
inactive
Again, I don't have access to the manga (or a place, that I can think of, that sells any). :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next