Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:27 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 27 months ago
inactive
Joined: Oct 12, 2014
Posts: 34
I recall, fairly clearly "Anti Sailor Moon" Web rings, along with "anti Anti" Websites.

Was exploring other anime last decade or so not that active on SM fan community so could I get an update?

they seem to have largely vanished, did the novelty just fade off... I can remember with a bitter taste actualy ADMIRING "SAve our Sailors" For taking a stand against the Evil forces of the Anti Sailor Moon Webrings :Shivers: Want to shower now...

was it just the novelty of bashing the show wore off?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:20 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 12, 2014
Posts: 3215
Gender: Male
Other: Male straight
Long story short, A pro wrestler won the European championship, Found a third party hacking device and hacked computers to find the haters locations, Captured them, Made them play Polybius, Stuck a moonstick up there bum and made them humble!!!

Then the hero finally confronted the worlds biggest sailor moon hater.....COUNT DRACULA! And the wrestler said "Die monster, You don't belong in this world!" as the wrestler called Richter Scales killed Dracula a book on a bookshelf said "Shrek is love, Shrek is life"

No, Not really...People probably just got to clever to be trolled again plus Sailor moon is much less prominent in the current anime fandom then it used to be and on top of that Sailor moon fans can be hard to troll, Not all but most are very clever compared to the current anime fandom who are like ''OTAKU WA DESU KA ONI-SAN'' all the time (Yes I know they existed back then too but Japanese pharses are much more used today)


The only recent anti Sailor moon thing was some loser put up a video on YouTube loaded with misinformation and got millions of views, Once again proving the YouTube community is mostly ran by brain dead 12 year old ''Bros''

_________________
*insert against the rules forum sig that won't be removed here*


Last edited by TESTAMENT on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:00 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 27 months ago
inactive
Joined: Oct 12, 2014
Posts: 34
Hey... I tend to like gratuitous jappanese in my fanfics... "Tales of Younger Senshi" (its on shoujofiction.com)

But when I was a teenager I picked up so much jappanese I decided to buy rosetta stone and finish the job.

Sailor Moon seems to be reliving its glory days With the Manga reprint, redub and release of Crystal.

[edited by knm to merge a double post]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:16 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 21, 2014
Posts: 3456
There were anti-crystals on Facebook but they're now gone so someone must have reported them.

Also Hypno I haven't seen a YouTube video that was anti Sailor Moon. Except NC's review and that has 800,000 views. Of course the majority of the comments are defending SM or suggesting that critic watches the reboot.

_________________
Microsoft Paint does not give my avatar picture justice. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:09 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 13, 2014
Posts: 137
Location: Sweden
Gender: Male
I figured it would be too difficult for me to watch Nostalgia Critic's review, after reading some comments about it.
FaithfulSenshi wrote:
Sailor Moon seems to be reliving its glory days With the Manga reprint, redub and release of Crystal.

Well to some extent. I doubt that Sailor Moon will fully regain its popularity though, considering how tremendously popular the original anime once were. General anime groups on Usenet got full of seemingly nothing but Sailor Moon-mail for some time.

_________________
Mooniecode (1.14.20) SM:5+m- F:sMa>+1/2:vNe:aLu>1/2Um:pFR D:sCh1/2:aTc X:a85swe++1/2|200efs+:m18jp+ O:d?:o:a-1/2:h--:x+ P:a++:zSa:gm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 12, 2014
Posts: 3215
Gender: Male
Other: Male straight
For someone who spends their days ranting about a Thomas the tank engine movie...I think loser is a very fitting title indeed...

_________________
*insert against the rules forum sig that won't be removed here*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:16 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 17 months ago
inactive
Joined: Apr 19, 2016
Posts: 18
Hello, fans of Sailor Moon. I was active in the Anti community years ago, so I thought I would give you all an update, seeing as someone asked about us.

Long story short, we did not die, we simply achieved our objective; Sailor Moon was taken off the air in the U.S., so we declared victory and got on with our lives. Remember too, that shortly after that, social media came to be and heralded the end of many free webbost providers, like GeoCities. A few of us, myself included, found alternatives to free webhosting, but in my case, Kyle Drake's Slackware box (my website's next home after it got struck by Italian lightning) was hit by a massive power surge and got french-fried. I had failed to maintain a backup, and Sailor Moon was cancelled on USA shortly thereafter, so I didn't see any point in rebuilding.

Just now, I read the date on the last post and realized I am about to necro a VERY old thread, so I will end with this: We're still here, but many of us have moved on and have too many adult responsibilities to really care about Crystal.

Oh, and TESTAMENT is so very, very wrong. I can't speak for modern Moonies, but you guys were ridiculously easy to troll 17 years ago. In fact, had an entire section of my website dedicated to lampooning the hillarious hate mail (and occasional death threat) that filled my E-mail box each week. That said, I will assume that most of you have since grown up, as we have.

Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:41 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 10108
Location: Embelyon
PizzaOfHut wrote:
I can't speak for modern Moonies, but you guys were ridiculously easy to troll 17 years ago.

The modern ones are still quite easy. So if you will have some free time, feel free to visit us and join the fun. Just make sure your trolling is smart and subtle so that no admin will have to interfere. :mischief:

_________________
Image
http://shoujocity.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:15 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1803
PizzaOfHut wrote:
Hello, fans of Sailor Moon. I was active in the Anti community years ago, so I thought I would give you all an update, seeing as someone asked about us.

Long story short, we did not die, we simply achieved our objective; Sailor Moon was taken off the air in the U.S., so we declared victory and got on with our lives. Remember too, that shortly after that, social media came to be and heralded the end of many free webbost providers, like GeoCities. A few of us, myself included, found alternatives to free webhosting, but in my case, Kyle Drake's Slackware box (my website's next home after it got struck by Italian lightning) was hit by a massive power surge and got french-fried. I had failed to maintain a backup, and Sailor Moon was cancelled on USA shortly thereafter, so I didn't see any point in rebuilding.

Not to be too political but don't you think it was a form of censorship and suppressing artistic freedom to try and get a TV show off TV just because you didn't like it? I have nothing against people who are critical of stuff that I like but it just seems ethically dubious to me to put so much energy in getting something canceled just because it didn't meet your tastes of entertainment and not because it was morally objectionable or something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:41 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 10108
Location: Embelyon
Neon Genesis wrote:
don't you think it was a form of censorship and suppressing artistic freedom to try and get a TV show off TV... just because it didn't meet your tastes of entertainment and not because it was morally objectionable or something.

So getting a TV show off TV because somebody considered it "morally objectionable or something" is totally fine and isn't a form of censorship and suppression of artistic freedom? P-:

_________________
Image
http://shoujocity.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:23 pm 
Your friendly neighborhood Suburban Senshi
Your friendly neighborhood Suburban Senshi
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 21, 2003
Posts: 1679
Anti Moonie here. I did some Sprite comics bashing the whole Usagi/Serenity rules the world in the future. I still have my Anti Chibi Usa page on Angelfire.

Plus I started slightly critiquing Sailor Moon OCs on tumblr. Though, it's my most watched tumblr and I hadn't update in a month. I dunno why people like my ranting on OCs. I do rants on some Sailor Moon fans like MissDream and CodeNameSailorEarth. Still, I'm more lively on my gaming Tumblr.

Yeah, I feel anti. But I do like playing official Sailor Moon stuff. That's my two cents.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:52 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 37665
Gender: Male
Maraviollantes wrote:
Neon Genesis wrote:
don't you think it was a form of censorship and suppressing artistic freedom to try and get a TV show off TV... just because it didn't meet your tastes of entertainment and not because it was morally objectionable or something.

So getting a TV show off TV because somebody considered it "morally objectionable or something" is totally fine and isn't a form of censorship and suppression of artistic freedom? P-:

And some people could totally consider Sailor Moon "morally objectionable" due to its featuring homosexuality, premarital sex, immodest clothing, pantyshots, & whatnots. :P

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:40 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1803
Maraviollantes wrote:
So getting a TV show off TV because somebody considered it "morally objectionable or something" is totally fine and isn't a form of censorship and suppression of artistic freedom? P-:
I'm not saying I agree with it but I'm saying if it was a moral objection, at least there's an argument you can debate with, but just supporting censorship because you don't like it is just being petty. Like I an example, I personally have zero interest in seeing the new Batman v Superman movie. It looks ridiculous to me and it's not to my personal taste of entertainment, but I'm not going to wage a campaign to get theaters to stop playing it just because I don't like it. On the other hand, whether you agree with the criticism or not, with the criticism of the upcoming live action Ghost in the Shell movie whtiewashing the cast, there's a legitimate concern people have about the movie's casting promoting racism, and people are not just opposing it because of personal taste.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:12 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 10108
Location: Embelyon
Neon Genesis wrote:
I'm not saying I agree with it but I'm saying if it was a moral objection, at least there's an argument you can debate with, but just supporting censorship because you don't like it is just being petty. Like I an example, I personally have zero interest in seeing the new Batman v Superman movie. It looks ridiculous to me and it's not to my personal taste of entertainment, but I'm not going to wage a campaign to get theaters to stop playing it just because I don't like it. On the other hand, whether you agree with the criticism or not, with the criticism of the upcoming live action Ghost in the Shell movie whtiewashing the cast, there's a legitimate concern people have about the movie's casting promoting racism, and people are not just opposing it because of personal taste.

I don't think that anybody actually was an anti-moonie due to just "not liking it" - at least from their own POV. On the contrary, there usually was a whole range of legitimate and incredibly important concerns listed, like misrepresenting homosexuals (or promoting homosexuality), popularizing a bad and dumbed down example of Japanese anime (as opposed to more elaborate and sophisticated works), ruining original SM anime due to poor DiC dubbing, "won't somebody think of the children", etc., etc. Much like with the Scarlett Johansson's case, those "legitimate concerns" were seen as legitimate only by raging fanboys (and fangirls) making them up, of course. :ohdear:

_________________
Image
http://shoujocity.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:56 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4397
PizzaOfHut wrote:
Hello, fans of Sailor Moon. I was active in the Anti community years ago, so I thought I would give you all an update, seeing as someone asked about us.

Long story short, we did not die, we simply achieved our objective; Sailor Moon was taken off the air in the U.S., so we declared victory and got on with our lives. Remember too, that shortly after that, social media came to be and heralded the end of many free webbost providers, like GeoCities. A few of us, myself included, found alternatives to free webhosting, but in my case, Kyle Drake's Slackware box (my website's next home after it got struck by Italian lightning) was hit by a massive power surge and got french-fried. I had failed to maintain a backup, and Sailor Moon was cancelled on USA shortly thereafter, so I didn't see any point in rebuilding.

Just now, I read the date on the last post and realized I am about to necro a VERY old thread, so I will end with this: We're still here, but many of us have moved on and have too many adult responsibilities to really care about Crystal.

Oh, and TESTAMENT is so very, very wrong. I can't speak for modern Moonies, but you guys were ridiculously easy to troll 17 years ago. In fact, had an entire section of my website dedicated to lampooning the hillarious hate mail (and occasional death threat) that filled my E-mail box each week. That said, I will assume that most of you have since grown up, as we have.

Cheers.

Bet it must suck for you that Sailor Moon is being rereleased and the whole revival etc.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:51 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1803
Maraviollantes wrote:
I don't think that anybody actually was an anti-moonie due to just "not liking it" - at least from their own POV. On the contrary, there usually was a whole range of legitimate and incredibly important concerns listed, like misrepresenting homosexuals (or promoting homosexuality), popularizing a bad and dumbed down example of Japanese anime (as opposed to more elaborate and sophisticated works), ruining original SM anime due to poor DiC dubbing, "won't somebody think of the children", etc., etc. Much like with the Scarlett Johansson's case, those "legitimate concerns" were seen as legitimate only by raging fanboys (and fangirls) making them up, of course. :ohdear:
But what is considered "dumbing down" of anime is still a purely subjective opinion. Even if it is a dumbing down of anime, there are plenty of other anime shows a lot of critics considered "dumbed down" that were just as popular as Sailor Moon but never got whole anti movements towards. Some of them, like Naruto and DBZ, are still even on TV to this day, unlike Sailor Moon. So it seems a bit unfair to target the most popular anime for girls and young women around the world in a concerted effort that other "dumbed down" popular anime never got. But my point is it just seems like a dangerous precedent to set to get a show cancelled on TV just because of subjective personal opinions about entertainment value.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:22 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4397
Neon Genesis wrote:
Maraviollantes wrote:
I don't think that anybody actually was an anti-moonie due to just "not liking it" - at least from their own POV. On the contrary, there usually was a whole range of legitimate and incredibly important concerns listed, like misrepresenting homosexuals (or promoting homosexuality), popularizing a bad and dumbed down example of Japanese anime (as opposed to more elaborate and sophisticated works), ruining original SM anime due to poor DiC dubbing, "won't somebody think of the children", etc., etc. Much like with the Scarlett Johansson's case, those "legitimate concerns" were seen as legitimate only by raging fanboys (and fangirls) making them up, of course. :ohdear:
But what is considered "dumbing down" of anime is still a purely subjective opinion. Even if it is a dumbing down of anime, there are plenty of other anime shows a lot of critics considered "dumbed down" that were just as popular as Sailor Moon but never got whole anti movements towards. Some of them, like Naruto and DBZ, are still even on TV to this day, unlike Sailor Moon. So it seems a bit unfair to target the most popular anime for girls and young women around the world in a concerted effort that other "dumbed down" popular anime never got. But my point is it just seems like a dangerous precedent to set to get a show cancelled on TV just because of subjective personal opinions about entertainment value.

I think it goes back to it being a girl's show. People always tend to devalue girl's shows in relation to boy's shows. Which is why Sailor Moon get's this venomous hatred but not say DBZ or Naruto. It is kind of like how Jem got shabby treatment by Hasbro in favor of say Transformers and GI Joe. Funny thing is that most antis who hate the show don't know one ☹ thing about it. At best their information might come from the DIC dub and even then their information on these sites are usually wrong.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:23 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 37665
Gender: Male
^ Reminding me of the initial treatment of Rey's figure by Hasbro for the latest Star Wars installment. lol

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:23 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 17 months ago
inactive
Joined: Apr 19, 2016
Posts: 18
MariaTenebre wrote:
Bet it must suck for you that Sailor Moon is being rereleased and the whole revival etc.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I couldn't care less. Unlike some Moonies, it would seem, I grew up a long time ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:34 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 17 months ago
inactive
Joined: Apr 19, 2016
Posts: 18
Neon Genesis wrote:
But my point is it just seems like a dangerous precedent to set to get a show cancelled on TV just because of subjective personal opinions about entertainment value.


It sets no precedent at all; the first rule of media is "give the people what they want to see," and it would seem they didn't want to see this. That said, the first rule of customers service is "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

MariaTenebre, you are mistaken. Many of us did our own independent research. I, for example, had a girlfriend in high school who was a huge Moonie and was happy to lend me her copies of the manga. Admittedly, the manga was much better that the anime, but Totoro in a mumu is much better than Alfred E. Neuman nude, so "better" is simply a matter of relativity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:16 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1803
MariaTenebre wrote:
I think it goes back to it being a girl's show. People always tend to devalue girl's shows in relation to boy's shows. Which is why Sailor Moon get's this venomous hatred but not say DBZ or Naruto. It is kind of like how Jem got shabby treatment by Hasbro in favor of say Transformers and GI Joe. Funny thing is that most antis who hate the show don't know one ☹ thing about it. At best their information might come from the DIC dub and even then their information on these sites are usually wrong.
I would also argue that so called "dumbed down" mainstream anime also play important roles in anime fandom in introducing Americans to anime. How many American fans can one name that started off watching more "sophisticated" anime like Evangelion and Satoshi Kon films? Most fans started off mainstream popular anime like Sailor Moon, Robotech, and Pokemon that they watched on Fox Kids or Toonami or whatever. Then we googled anime and found the more "sophisticated" shows like Psycho Pass and Madoka and became more devoted fans that way. It should also be pointed out that even in Japan, it's these mainstream popcorn entertainment anime like Sailor Moon, One Piece, and Pretty Cure that are the most popular shows even in Japan, and more "sophisticated" anime that you see on late night TV in Japan are looked down upon by as only for more hardcore otaku.


Quote:
It sets no precedent at all; the first rule of media is "give the people what they want to see," and it would seem they didn't want to see this. That said, the first rule of customers service is "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."
It seems a bit arrogant and highly inaccurate for the anti movement to take credit for why Sailor Moon is no longer on American TV. Sailor Moon initially went off the air in the early 2000s because the rights had expired and Toei had withdrew the rights from the American market for reasons unknown. A rescue license of Sailor Moon has been highly sought after by the American anime industry for years by companies like Funimation and Viz but they were unable to rescue license it until recently due to the high cost of the license fees. Sailor Moon isn't on American TV now because Hulu has the exclusive broadcast rights to it, not because it isn't popular anymore. And in this day and age where streaming exclusive content is all the rage, it's extremely dated to judge the popularity of Sailor Moon based on whether or not it's still on TV. Viz, in fact, has said themselves in interviews that Sailor Moon is their highest selling property they own and Sailor Moon is probably bigger now than it ever has before, with the widely available access of the uncut home video release in mainstream department stores and merchandise widely available in U.S. stores like Booksamillion and Hot Topic. Sailor Moon was certainly still popular when it went off the air. If I remember correctly, it was like the number two show on Toonami at the time, with only DBZ topping it in the ratings. But like I said, it was due to legal rights conflicts that Sailor Moon was taken off the air, not because of popularity issues.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:01 pm 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4397
Yeah I don't think the antis had anything to do with the show being taken off air. What it had to do was the fact that the rights for America expired and Toei was being stingy about giving the rights back. Had we been given the rights we might have had Sailor Stars for instance a long time ago.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:40 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 21, 2014
Posts: 3456
MariaTenebre wrote:
Yeah I don't think the antis had anything to do with the show being taken off air.


Of course they weren't.

The day a show gets cancelled because of a minority group on the Internet, will also be the day when the human race finally realizes that we are a parasite on this planet.

_________________
Microsoft Paint does not give my avatar picture justice. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:02 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Posts: 10108
Location: Embelyon
SailorWelshy wrote:
The day a show gets cancelled because of a minority group on the Internet, will also be the day when the human race finally realizes that we are a parasite on this planet.

A whole bunch of episodes from South Park and Beavis and Butthead were banned and censored - despite the fact that the people complaining always were only a small minority compared to the overall fanbase. The only reason why those shows weren't cancelled was that their creators faced an ultimatum of either censoring their works, or getting banned from TV - and they agreed to censorship to please all those minority groups. So the tactics of banning popular shows by minority groups works quite fine.

If this tactics didn't work for BSSM, it means only that antis weren't putting due amount of effort into it, not that they couldn't do it.

_________________
Image
http://shoujocity.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:35 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 37665
Gender: Male
Maraviollantes wrote:
SailorWelshy wrote:
The day a show gets cancelled because of a minority group on the Internet, will also be the day when the human race finally realizes that we are a parasite on this planet.

A whole bunch of episodes from South Park and Beavis and Butthead were banned and censored - despite the fact that the people complaining always were only a small minority compared to the overall fanbase. The only reason why those shows weren't cancelled was that their creators faced an ultimatum of either censoring their works, or getting banned from TV - and they agreed to censorship to please all those minority groups. So the tactics of banning popular shows by minority groups works quite fine.

If this tactics didn't work for BSSM, it means only that antis weren't putting due amount of effort into it, not that they couldn't do it.

W/ or w/o the antis, it's been censored one way or another in many countries anyway, & the censorship decisions were always made by a minority (actually just a handful) of people in the TV stations, too. lol

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:45 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 17 months ago
inactive
Joined: Apr 19, 2016
Posts: 18
Maraviollantes wrote:
If this tactics didn't work for BSSM, it means only that antis weren't putting due amount of effort into it, not that they couldn't do it.

Well spoken, Mara.

Neon, it is most ironic that you point that out, as my introduction to anime, many years ago, was in fact, Neon Genesis Evangelion. I know I was not the only Anti this applied to, as Kyle Drake was a fan of the more...serious anime, and was two years younger than me. Having had the opportunity to talk with many others in the movement (some of whom I am still in touch with), many of them were introduced to anime under similar circumstances. Perhaphs you have inadvertently hit upon the crux of our motives; we had all seen what anime could be, and were most discontented by the fact that, even on cable, the best we could get was an animated version of Power Rangers in miniskirts, retooled to appeal to the lowest common denominator of taste, culture, and sophistication: that of the preteen girl.

That said, all things have their place. Although I despised the anime, the manga was surprisingly enjoyable, when approached with the proper mindset. I play vintage MMOs, like Classic EQ and Vanilla/TBC WoW on private servers, but still play Clash of Clans from time to time. To everything under the sun, even Sailor Moon, there is a place and a season.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, ever since my first encounter with a Moonie 18 years ago, none have been familiar with the legend of Kaguya Hime. Are any of you? Without consulting Professor Google? =)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:05 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 07, 2009
Posts: 37665
Gender: Male
PizzaOfHut wrote:
Oh, and on an unrelated note, ever since my first encounter with a Moonie 18 years ago, none have been familiar with the legend of Kaguya Hime. Are any of you? Without consulting Professor Google? =)

I can't speak for other Moonies, but my 1st learning about it is from the manga/anime Queen Millennia in the early 80s. :)

_________________
 
Image

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:39 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 17 months ago
inactive
Joined: Apr 19, 2016
Posts: 18
I see. When I was very young, I watched Ssame Street religiously, and first heard the legend in kindergarten while watching Big Bird in Japan. Five years later, I learned of the existence of Sailor Moon when an ad for action figures interrupted my after school cartoons. I proclaimed it crappy on the spot, but it would be a further five years until I started The Sailor Moon Antishrine. It was around then that I began to realize the two were connected.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:56 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1803
PizzaOfHut wrote:
Neon, it is most ironic that you point that out, as my introduction to anime, many years ago, was in fact, Neon Genesis Evangelion. I know I was not the only Anti this applied to, as Kyle Drake was a fan of the more...serious anime, and was two years younger than me. Having had the opportunity to talk with many others in the movement (some of whom I am still in touch with), many of them were introduced to anime under similar circumstances. Perhaphs you have inadvertently hit upon the crux of our motives; we had all seen what anime could be, and were most discontented by the fact that, even on cable, the best we could get was an animated version of Power Rangers in miniskirts, retooled to appeal to the lowest common denominator of taste, culture, and sophistication: that of the preteen girl.
Certainly not all anime fans have the same experience but given the continued popularity of Toonami and mainstream popular anime like Sailor Moon and One Piece and Digimon, it's clear that most anime fans did become fans through the mainstream popular titles. And it's ironic you point to Evangelion as an example of a superior anime to Sailor Moon, considering nowadays there's a lot of anime critics who really hate Evangelion and think it's overhyped. They complain about Shinji being whiny and annoying, complain about Anno using Christian symbolism in a shallow way to just shock audiences, and there are a lot of complaints about Evangelion having a haphazardly written ending. I myself am an Evangelion fan so I disagree with these criticisms of course, but it should be noted that in spite of all the hatred Evangelion has gotten over the years, there was never an effort to get Evangelion banned or to stop fans from liking it. In any case, I'm not sure why the antis seem to think that it's impossible to love both more "sophisticated" anime while also still loving the more mainstream pop culture shows like Sailor Moon and DBZ. I myself have always been open to many genres of anime and have built up a somewhat large collection of DVDs over the years and there's even more anime I've seen but still don't own yet. Yet the way antis stereotype Sailor Moon fans, you'd think Sailor Moon fans only watch Sailor Moon and never watch anything else, which is clearly not true.



Quote:
Oh, and on an unrelated note, ever since my first encounter with a Moonie 18 years ago, none have been familiar with the legend of Kaguya Hime. Are any of you? Without consulting Professor Google? =)
Clearly you haven't met enough given that the Sailor Moon S movie is actually based on the Legend of Kaguya Hime. :roll: I have the Ghibli movie adaptation of it, The Tale of Princess Kaguya, on DVD myself and I love the movie a lot, but apparently I'm supposed to be some uncultured naive n00b that has no appreciation for artistic anime because I like Sailor Moon or something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What happened to "anti Sailor Moon"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:30 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 17 months ago
inactive
Joined: Apr 19, 2016
Posts: 18
Neon, it would seem that in your state of emotional distress, you forgot a few things, including the necessity of reading the entirety of a post before commenting on it. So wipe away those warm, salty tears and I'll get you up to speed.

The jist of the second half of my post was that all things, even Sailor Moon, have their place. Oh, and that the manga is alright, when approached with the proper mindset; if you want to treat a beautiful woman to dinner and drinks at a classy Italian restaurant, and you take her to The Olive Garden, you're doing it wrong. On the other hand, if you have to feed a family, don't want to spend very much money or get dressed up, The Olive Garden works just fine. I drink cheap beer from time to time, but I still appreciate an aged Trappist ale.

Also, in your assessment of my argument, I know that you did not just compare Evangelion to Sailor Moon, on the basis of depth. If you did, then I'm afraid we just can't be friends anymore.

To properly appreciate the classic Anti argument, you must view it from the context of its time. It was not the manga which fueled our burning discontent, but the anime. Yes, I have seen both, so I know that they are different. The anime was also liscensed to DiC, who chopped it up and had a trained ape, who wasn't smart enough to be in the circus, put it back together. Even during the time my website was up, I could tell the reasonable fans (and there were a few who visited The Antishrine) from the rabid fanboys and deranged fangirls by their ability, or lack thereof, to admit this. Granted, I had a Moonie girlfriend who had a rather large collection of the manga that she was willing to lend me, but I'm rather certain that I was alone among my peers in having that luxury. Everyone else would have had to shell out cash for access to the manga. A few did, but let's be honest, if you hate Batman on the basis of the T.V. show, would you drop money to see if you liked the comics any better? As a high school student with no job and no income? Neither did most of us.

Finally, I'm glad to hear of your familiarity with The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter. Its connection to Sailor Moon is something I find fascinating, from the perspective of modern retellings of ancient lore. Isn't it wondrous how creative storytellers can spin entirely new tales from such old yarn? That said, don't be irate, for there is no need to pontificate with such hate. I'm not angry, why are you?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Moonies browsing this forum: No registered moonies and 6 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB

contact forum administrator