* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Calluna's Sailor Moon Retrospective
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:21 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Main Introduction

Classic Season 1
Plot
Characters
Dub Vs Sub
Manga Vs Anime

She got a few of the smaller details wrong, but overall I thought it was a very well put together review.

Post subject: Re: Calluna's Sailor Moon Retrospective
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:48 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
I agree with her on most of the points, except the romance.

I feel like for the age of the characters, the romance was better in the manga not because of the way it developed, but because usagi wasn't so possessive of mamo. In the anime you see her getting mad at pretty much anyone who dares to flirt with him after their relationship becomes bf/gf. She also ignored the other characters changing from the manga. Jupiter was WAY more girly, Minako was a lot more serious while still having a goofy side, and Amy's studying was a little less used as comedy. I also disagree that Rei and Usagi got along a lot less in the anime. The manga always had those side panels where Rei would say mean things about her. I'd say the arguing is more noticed in the anime because Rei and Usagi end up sticking like glue to each other. Unlike the manga where everybody is protecting Usagi, in the anime Rei is going to be the first one to go fisticuffs with someone who attacks her.

I also feel like her nostalgia for the dub did affect the way she reviewed it. I mostly watched the german dub as a kid because my aunt sent me the old vhs tapes. I didn't see an english sailor moon until the sailor moon s dub, and hadn't heard Terri Hawkes as sailor moon until I saw the supers movie on VHS. I personally don't really care for the dub. Is it a bad stand-alone show if you had no knowledge of the original version? No. There are more plot holes, and storylines become kind of confusing, but the DiC version of the show wasn't bad. I just don't think it was all that good given the original show exists. I went back and watched a few episodes some time ago and the voice acting was like nails on a chalk board to me. The only VA for Serena that was good was Tracy Moore, Amy's accent is annoying (as is Molly's), and Mina just rubbed me the wrong way. There's also the matter of them changing the score. They did have a few good ones (Jupiter's theme, and in the name of the moon), but it doesn't hold a candle to the original soundtrack.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:58 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Calluna's retrospective of R has been uploaded.

Plot
Characters
Dub Vs Sub
Manga Vs Anime

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:06 am 
Lapis Lunaris
Lapis Lunaris
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
I think that it has to be better than another.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:46 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
SnowWolf wrote:

She got a few of the smaller details wrong, but overall I thought it was a very well put together review.

Given the downright wrong and stupid info given in Linkara's History of Power Rangers and the stating personal fanon as canon and using outdated and wrong trivia of Jesuotaku's Digimon Retrospective this is one of the better 90s kids anime fan retrospectives.