Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:07 am

All times are UTC

Do you think It's okay for guys to like Sailor Moon?
Yes 93%  93%  [ 44 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe, It Depends 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 47
 Post subject: Guys and Sailor Moon?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:47 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 12 months ago
inactive
Hey, I'm new to the series, so I'm really hoping no spoilers pop up here, but I was wondering if it's weird or not for a guy to like Sailor Moon. I'm really hoping it's not that weird. :? :?

Post subject: Re: Guys and Sailor Moon?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:40 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: GottaCatch'emAll
Yes it's ok I'm a boy and Sailor Moon was my first anime, I even had male classmate friends who watched back in the day (and watched several other anime at the same time) we'd watch at home and discuss episodes during recess, anyways just because a show has an intended target audience doesn't mean those outside of that audience can't enjoy it.

Also I hate to be "that guy" but this topic is in the wrong section ^_^'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:13 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
This Sailor Moon site was founded by guys. :)

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:47 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
It's ok for guys (gay, straight, bi or whatever) to watch sailor moon because there is no universal law that says they couldn't. There isnt anything a guy can't do that a girl can and there isn't anything a girl can't do that a guy can. Simple.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:16 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Ami-Chans True Love
I say yes because I'm a guy and I absolutely love sailor moon S being my favorite season(not counting Classic)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:30 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Any female opinions here? :)

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:15 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

It's all totally fine as long as you don't mind the fact that the only girl who won't laugh at you behind your back is your pillow gf. P-:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:40 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Maraviollantes wrote:

It's all totally fine as long as you don't mind the fact that the only girl who won't laugh at you behind your back is your pillow gf. P-:

actually I got to admit that's rather nice pillow XD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:22 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Other: Guardian Angel Fairy
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
Any female opinions here? :)

As a female, I say, yes, Sailor Moon can be for boys/men.

July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:58 pm 
inactive
Prince Rose wrote:

So sorry! I seemed to have accidentally placed it here by mistake! I meant to put it somewhere else. How do I change it's placement in the forums?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:30 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
I'm a grown man, straight as a ruler, tattooed, frequently hit the gym and have hard sparring sessions in martial arts classes constantly. I also love beer to add to the BS machismo aspect of manliness.

I have no problems being a fan.

I may not always say I'm a fan right off the get go, but I've never denied it either.

I better not, or my Sailor Moon CDs, posters (especially the huge one), cel collection, DVDs and blurays, manga collection, action figures, stuffed Tuxedo Mask toy and model kits are all horribly misplaced.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:42 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: GottaCatch'emAll
Binzhou5 wrote:
Prince Rose wrote:

So sorry! I seemed to have accidentally placed it here by mistake! I meant to put it somewhere else. How do I change it's placement in the forums?

It's fine, it seems the mods took care of it besides we all make that mistake at least once :D
Well if you want to make a new topic that belongs to a specific section just go to the section first then post new topic it's as easy as that and if it's in the wrong section no worries just ask a mod

Well that's enough of the off topicness on my part

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:01 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sailor Moon has become such a nostalgic favorite, you'll probably be considered cool for liking it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:37 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Umino wrote:
Sailor Moon has become such a nostalgic favorite, you'll probably be considered cool for liking it.

Yup, it's already become a classic. :cool:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:19 am 
inactive
Thanks for the help. I'll leave this up just to see all of the different opinions for this. I've already met a guy in person who likes it also, but wasn't sure if it was common because he was also a Juggalo (fan of Insane Clown Posse). :googly:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:43 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: 4th Regeneration
There is nothing wrong with males liking Sailor Moon. Admitting it out in the real world will usually cause problems (I've learned from sad experience), so I've been forced to be a closeted Moonie all of my life.

That being said, like whatever you want to and don't give a [insert colorful word of your choice] what anyone else thinks. You are the better person for finding value and enjoyment in something. If other people don't like it, that's their loss, not yours.

Just be careful who you admit it to. People are super-judgmental so, unless you're intimidating, it's not worth saying anything unless you have the good fortune to go to a Comicon or Sailor Moon/anime convention. Or if you come across someone wearing SM gear, in which case it's probably safe to talk to him/her, but that never happens to me.

Moral of the story; like Sailor Moon if you want to, but you're better off keeping it to yourself outside the forums and such.

Last edited by Darth Moonie on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:58 pm 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: Guestie's onii-chan
Nothing wrong with a man liking Sailor Moon, or any other show that is apparently made for a female demographic. Hell, if one looks at the end of one of the DiC episodes, Serena sometimes directs comments to male viewers as well...I forget which episodes they appeared in though.

And no, before any asks, NOT all Juggalo's are gangsters/gang members....that's like saying every Greaser is a college bully....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:57 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: CLAMP PR
Of course, it is NOT okay.

Please call the help line (the one for guys who cannot stop being fans of Sailor Moon) and attend the designated meetings in your town for men who are recovering from being exposed to Sailor Moon (these are anonymous and all you have to do is to show up).

just kidding P-:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:21 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Clow wrote:

Please call the help line (the one for guys who cannot stop being fans of Sailor Moon) and attend the designated meetings in your town for men who are recovering from being exposed to Sailor Moon (these are anonymous and all you have to do is to show up).

just kidding P-:

^^^^ this I love XD and to stay on topic anyone can love sailor moon(Men, Women and Children) its a wonderful series(til you get to Stars and get bored out of your mind)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:22 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Clow wrote:

And don't forget to join a parents' support group if you're one of those unfortunate parents having a son who loves Sailor Moon. :lol:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:39 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Yeah it's totally fine, and there's nothing wrong with it c: Just because you're not part of the target audience doesn't mean anything. Not to mention, IMO, for the North American release they actually tried to make it more unisex and for a wider age group than the original Japanese version.

My boyfriend watched Sailor Moon before and when I found out about it, I was pleasantly surprised. :D He's not a megafan or anything and I think it's been a long time since he watched it, but I was pretty happy to find out that he did like it - I know he really liked Tuxedo Mask and that the show kinda reversed the 'damsel in distress' trope on him.

One of these days I really need to see if I can get him to watch some of it with me - too bad the original series is so long and he doesn't seem like he'd like Crystal too much. :-P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:48 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
I know plenty of guys who watched Sailor Moon and it's completely fine :D (And they're straight too fyi)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:52 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 16 months ago
inactive
Nothing wrong with guys who like Sailor Moon. I recently got my husband to watch a few episodes (he was very reluctant at first) but eventually he got completely hooked and ended up enjoying all 200 episodes! And he's the stereotypical "straight alpha male" type--weightlifter, currently in military, only likes steaks and burgers, etc...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:12 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Kuiper Belt
I had a girl make a comment about me being a guy and watching SM. I was like you watch Dragon Ball Z don't you and it's shonen. :confused:

Personally, you can watch whatever the heck you like as long as it makes your feel good and inspires you. Society tends to be a bit skewed with certain things like this.

I watched SM in school coming up and boys would tease me because they were looking up Dragon Ball Z and I was watching Uranus Planet Power Make Up... :lol: :lol: I have no shame!

Even today as a GROWN man, I still like Sailor Moon. :cry: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:15 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Star Angel Haruki wrote:
I had a girl make a comment about me being a guy and watching SM. I was like you watch Dragon Ball Z don't you and it's shonen. :confused:

A funny thing is that it's not as much a big deal for a girl to watch shonen anime, which reflects current gender inequality.

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:57 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
There's nothing wrong with guys watching Sailor Moon, in fact I watched it and I've even dressed up as Sailor Jupiter for Halloween and I plan to at Anime Expo as well. I have the first season, my phone case has Jupiter on it, both Sailor V mangas, I even have a tattoo of Jupiter on my arm. I'm not gay or anything, I just like the show and I'm a fan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:27 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Ohhh this just reminded me! Shortly after posting on here originally, I actually asked my boyfriend if he was down to watch Sailor Moon Crystal - he was, so we ended up blitzing through it in about two days. =^_^= He really liked it and we're waiting for the next season to come out, I'm really excited! :love:
He did watch some of the show when he was younger and the 90s anime was still airing, I think; he watched enough off it that Mercury was his favorite scout though. :smug: Maybe one of these days we'll go through the 90s anime, although I think that might be awhile - we have an anime list right now and the 90s anime would take awhile. XD

So just to reiterate, I don't think it's "wrong", weird, or effeminate for guys to like Sailor Moon (and other magical girl shows, like Cardcaptor Sakura, etc) - and as a girl whose boyfriend likes it, it makes me really happy that's something we can share together.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:08 am 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Moon Princess
Yes, it's ok for guys to like sailor moon. I'm watching sailor moon with my boyfriend and it's interesting to hear his thoughts on it. :love:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:20 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membership
This can actually be a sore point here in Italy. You see, back in the day an alleged therapist named Vera Slepoj came up with a cock-and-bull story that watching Sailor Moon could turn boy gay, and the moral guardians made such a mess that Naoko Takeuchi in person declared a Sailor Moon embargo towards Italy...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:05 pm 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
lord Martiya wrote:
This can actually be a sore point here in Italy. You see, back in the day an alleged therapist named Vera Slepoj came up with a cock-and-bull story that watching Sailor Moon could turn boy gay, and the moral guardians made such a mess that Naoko Takeuchi in person declared a Sailor Moon embargo towards Italy...

Is it bad to be a gay boy? No, unless one is a homophobic person from a backwards country. Apparently Naoko is homophobic and hates gays. Otherwise she wouldn't mind any accusations (even false ones) of BSSM making boys gay. P-: