Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: guys cosplaying as sailor scouts? why not?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:12 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
It's no surprise that people have cosplayed as sailor senshi, in fact I've done it before not as tuxedo mask but as sailor jupiter. Ain't nothing wrong with that, I might've dressed like a woman on Halloween but I'm not gay, nothing wrong with that. What's wrong with cosplaying as a female character? In fact since I already have the sailor jupiter costume, I'm cosplaying as Mercury, Mars, Jupiter and Venus at Anime Expo this year in that order, and I don't care what feedback I receive. I want everyone's thoughts and insights on this, because I feel like this is something worth talking about, at least that's how I see it.

Post subject: Re: guys cosplaying as sailor scouts? why not?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:40 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:36 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I can only see it being a problem if people are crossplaying to make fun of trans people but most people seem to crossplay because they like the character so it's not a problem to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:00 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Cat
I :love: Bubba Moon.

But Bubba Moon aside, there are some other cosplayers I've seen that have pulled it off really well. There's a Sailor Jupiter in particular that I remember seeing who pulled off her fierce post-transformation pose way better than I've ever seen a female cosplayer do.

I don't really care what the person's gender is. I mean, even the current musical has gone with an all-female cast. Fine with me!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:37 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 17 months ago
inactive
I'm planning on Genderbending/Crossplaying quite a few Sailor Moon characters, so I don't see anything wrong with men doing the same. In fact, I love seeing males cosplaying the Senshi and other characters!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:00 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Honestly I don't really care about the gender of the person cosplaying. That's usually not the first thought through my head - my first thought is more along the lines of "Oh, X character" and the craftsmanship of the outfit :-P

As far as general societal things about crossdressing aside, I think a lot of guys don't feel comfortable in a short skirt (which is reasonable - I'm a girl and I don't like wearing short skirts), and they might not know how to do/go about a genderbent cosplay for their given senshi while preserving the essence of the character to a degree they're happy with. Usually for genderbent senshi cosplays though, I typically see guys switch it out to long, colored pants.

That said I'm part of a SM cosplay group on facebook and one of the people on it was actually working on putting together a "Prince Serenity" outfit. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:34 am 
Quasar
Quasar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Ask Bakura.
Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 52.8 KiB | Viewed 5170 times ]

His parents made him do it when he was little, as a joke.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:41 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
Interesting thread, I'm going to be attempting exactly this later in the year :ohdear:

On the subject of whether to dress as a male version of a character, or actually try to pass yourself off (as best you can) as the female character, for me it has to be the latter. I've never done it before but like a challenge - I've done some fairly eclectic costumes in the past, and a female costume is probably the most obvious thing missing from my repertoire, before I start repeating myself on some level!

I think the most problematic thing is the waist to hip ratio - anime females can have impossibly idealized body shapes that even women will struggle to represent in a cosplay, let alone men. I think it's particularly problematic for the senshi fuku because of that V shape, which seems to have an important role in how the skirt sits. You know the way the hem seems rounded up towards the hips on each side? To be honest I think it defies physics (or geometry, or something!) in the anime, because it looks that shape when viewed from the side, but in any case, I think any cosplay looks better if something of that narrower V shape is maintained.

Lavellan wrote:
As far as general societal things about crossdressing aside, I think a lot of guys don't feel comfortable in a short skirt (which is reasonable - I'm a girl and I don't like wearing short skirts)

That's another thing I've noticed a lot about girl's SM cosplay while I've been doing my 'research', as it were - the lengths are all different, with a tendency towards being longer. I suppose it's a balance between remaining true to the original design, and feeling comfortable, whatever works best for the individual. My current attitude is, it's going to take a certain amount of bravery to step out in that outfit anyway, so in for a dime in for a dollar, I'll try to make it as accurate as I can! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:28 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
Princess Venus wrote:
Ask Bakura.
Attachment:
image.jpeg

His parents made him do it when he was little, as a joke.

XD LMAO I'd love to cosplay as Tuxedo Mask myself or possibly Professor Tomoe but I suck at sewing and wouldn't have any clue where to begin on making an outfit, also I have no issue with guys cosplaying as Senshi its their life and body so they should be free to do what they want (they'll still be judged but In the end who cares right?)

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:10 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I apperciate cross dressing cosplayers but my favorite are the gender bend cosplays! It's interesting to see how guys interpret how the Sailor Guardians costumes will be on a male body since the original costume is just for looks and not really particle for battle. These are probably my favorite ones

Notice the Female human Artemis, Umino, Tux and Helios!

Yaass Black Moon clan

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:02 am 
Luna
Luna
^ ☹, you can see Ko-Man's... well, everything!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:38 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Sure it's ok in my book
Why should us guys have to settle for cosplaying as either Chiba or male villains or male side characters and the three lights as seen in the 90s anime? If guys wanna cosplay as sailor senshi I say why didn't you do it sooner

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:10 pm 
Your friendly neighborhood Suburban Senshi
Your friendly neighborhood Suburban Senshi
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Prince Rose wrote:
Sure it's ok in my book
Why should us guys have to settle for cosplaying as either Chiba or male villains or male side characters and the three lights as seen in the 90s anime? If guys wanna cosplay as sailor senshi I say why didn't you do it sooner

This.
Recalling an old video by Uncle Yo, an anime comedian, says that cosplay you can get away with anything. So everything in cosplay is OK, as long as you're having fun doing it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:13 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
ZetusMoon wrote:
I apperciate cross dressing cosplayers but my favorite are the gender bend cosplays! It's interesting to see how guys interpret how the Sailor Guardians costumes will be on a male body since the original costume is just for looks and not really particle for battle. These are probably my favorite ones

Yaass Black Moon clan

XD the first pic looks like a cross between Goku and Usagi lol

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:37 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
^ So his name could be "Gokusagi." :lol:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:50 pm 
inactive
ZetusMoon wrote:

Yaass Black Moon clan

I think I like the female Umino best from that bunch :) I don't know the context but the guys all look very... hand picked? 'you must be at least this photogenic to cosplay' :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
^^^now that I think on it the dude in the middle of the last pic nearly got me I thought that was actually a woman lol

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:09 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
now that I think on it the dude in the middle of the last pic nearly got me I thought that was actually a woman lol

And I thought so, too. lol

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:22 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Nothing wrong if a guy wants to cosplay as a Sailor Scout. If they feel comfortable doing that, it's fine. I think that in places like convensions, it's practically expected these days. I, however, couldn't do something like that, primarily because I hate my legs and could not wear a skirt.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:06 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: CLAMP PR
I support whatever people want to do as long as they are not harming others or themselves.

That being said, I have never seen a picture of a guy cosplaying as a sailor senshi (with an altered uniform) that looked good. The senshi uniforms, IMO, are too feminine, and the alterations don't translate well.

That being said, I think it would be interesting if male cosplayers created a hybrid sailor moon/superman costume. Long blue cape, an altered brooch, and a few details here and there; in other words, rather than creating a male uniform based on a feminine one, adopt a male uniform and only play with the codes of the feminine one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:20 pm 
inactive
So I've been researching cross-playing Sailor Moon for 2 months or so now (and doing a few tests), thought I'd share some of my experiences. I've done quite a lot of costumes in the past, although nothing like this, and although they're rarely perfect, I do take a little bit of pride in them and wouldn't want to do a 'joke' outfit (i.e. one that looked so ridiculous that it only served humorous purpose), so I have been particularly keen to test this one before I commit to it, just to see if I can do it respectably. For my findings thus far, I'll start from the bottom upwards...

Footwear - This was actually the first definitive action I took on this project, but I ordered the boots from China and they sure took a long time coming. From a crossplay point of view, my main concerns were firstly that I couldn't walk in heels, and secondly (and more importantly) that I wouldn't be able to obtain them in a size that would fit. I'd already ordered them in the same size I wear normally as a male, and subsequently read that I should've gone 2 sizes up, so I thought they would be a write-off. But to my surprise, they fit like a glove. As for the heels, I seemed to take to them quite well... I might not tell people that though :) And as an unplanned side effect, they do seem to adjust your posture and force you to move around in a way that is (probably) perceived as more feminine. Kind of a side note, but I decided to order suede-like boots rather than the shiny kind, as the anime boots always seemed matte to me rather than glossy. Also they weren't cosplay boots as such, just the right color and long enough that I can work with them to add the white chevron and moon.

Legs - Definitely a big part of a sailor senshi cosplay. Believe it or not I didn't think this would be too much of a problem - the masculinity or femininity of legs seems to be more about how you present them. I'm slender to average, and moderately athletic, so my legs look okay (to my eye). When the time comes I'll be going smooth (undecided on the method yet) in combination with tights and/or leg makeup. Obviously the boots cover most of the way up to the knee, and as for the rest, that leads me nicely onto...

Skirt - So this was the first potential deal-breaker for me; if I couldn't get this looking acceptable then I'd probably have had to think about a different costume. Turns out it wasn't that big of a deal - and surprisingly, the longer I made it in my test, the more awkward it looked. I have a theory that having more leg visible does something to offset the upper body issues that I'll talk about later. The skirt, as long as it has a bit of volume, accentuates the hips a little, which also helps create a more feminine outline. Haven't decided yet whether to go for the more popular satin style with less defined pleats, or a crisper anime style in a stiffer less shiny fabric.

The rest of the Fuku - This is something I've only recently been able to test. I decided to buy a fairly cheap Sailor Moon costume fuku, just to see how it'd look, because from my early tests (limited to everything I've described above) I was concerned that my upper body (chest, shoulders etc) would appear too masculine in contrast. I'm not going to claim to be Schwarzenegger, but I have some muscle around my shoulders and arms (99% of the time I'm not trying to pass as a girl!) and I thought that might be the real deal breaker. My intention was always to make my own fuku, as I like to make everything myself where possible, so I wanted a chance to see what it might look like before putting in that effort. And the results were... actually not as bad as I was expecting. I have to say it was tricky to get on and near impossible to get off, but it at least demonstrated that, with gloves and everything else, my more masculine frame doesn't detract too much from the overall look (it probably sounds a lot worse than it actually is!). Anyway, in case I can't do any better by myself, I'll be keeping this as a backup. Whatever I use in the end, I'll probably be wearing some kind of body shaper underneath to bring my waist in a little - as I've said, I'm reasonably slender but a little bit of a squeeze around the middle does seem to help with the overall shape.

Makeup - I have no experience at this whatsoever, and I've still not really figured out where to get the best advice. I've obtained some cosmetics, but I need to learn/practice how to use it properly, and I already know I'm going to need different shades from the ones I speculatively selected. It's going to be trial and error - I'm sure there are people that could help me but, well, I just don't want to ask :) So I think I'm just going to work on it, and follow some online tutorials. I feel like once I've gotten the hang of it, the results will be passable. The eyes seem to make the biggest difference. I'm going to try not to over-do this, as the girls in the anime don't look like they wear a lot of makeup - mostly it's just to take the edge off my normal male look.

Eyebrows - now that's a dilemma. I am committed enough to the part that I'd get them shaped a little, but I think I draw the line at trying to do that myself. So I might need some professional help after all. Alternatively I could follow tips to disguise them completely (the glue stick method), and then draw some on. The only thing I've experimented with so far is giving them a more distinct line with a brow pencil - not a bad fallback, definitely better than nothing. But to my mind, when paired with the item below, it looks more like Helga from Hey Arnold!, than Usagi :)

Hair - Choosing a wig has and still is the biggest headache in all of this. I don't think it's a crossplay issue either - all at once there are dozens of choices on Amazon/eBay, but at the same time, you suspect many of them are exactly the same product, and since many sellers use the same stock photos, it's kind of a leap of faith actually buying one. I've bought one (again, from China) and it took around 2 weeks to show up, which was sooner than I anticipated. I expected the buns to be the most disappointing element when comparing the photo to the reality, but to be honest, they were actually better - they were nice and round and stood up in exactly the right position. The pigtails were inevitably not as long or full as advertised, and may well get the chop in favor of a bespoke replacement. There's a certain amount of frizzy-ness about the whole thing, and the fringe was curled in a way which didn't really match Usagi's style. I don't know why all these wigs have these long bangs(? I don't know if there's a more correct word for them) at either side, that descend down to chin height. I haven't seen any version of Usagi/Sailor Moon that had hair in this style. But in any case, I think the wig looks better and more accurate if you hide these up inside. I'm on the fence as to whether I can style this wig to suit me and look a little better, or if I should look for another. I'm apprehensive about buying another without some advice, because I don't want to pay for another (and wait a few weeks) just to find myself opening exactly the same wig. Sometimes I wish I was dressing up as Rei or Minako as the hair would be much more straightforward (I think I'm more of a Rei than a Usagi in any case :D ) but really it's got to be Usagi, simply because she's the most iconic.

Well, I think that's all. Sorry if that's been boring to read, it's actually useful to me to collate all my thoughts in one place - I usually keep my costumes secret until the day I'm due to wear them, so I haven't had anyone to talk about it with! :blush: If you have any thoughts or suggestions on the subject, I'd be happy to hear them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:06 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 16 months ago
inactive
Other: すしガール
What problem would there be? It's cosplay. The way I see it, you can dress as any character you want, regardless of gender. While there's not too many guys cosplaying as female characters (Not saying that there isn't any, since there definitely are.), There are tons of female Cosplayers who dress up as male characters, and I see no problem with that. If you want to cosplay as your favorite character, then go for it. In fact, I'm female, and there are quite a few of my favorite male characters who I would love to cosplay as. I also find cosplaying as a male character a bit easier for me, since I'm used to wearing guys clothes. :P

magic713 wrote:
Nothing wrong if a guy wants to cosplay as a Sailor Scout. If they feel comfortable doing that, it's fine. I think that in places like convensions, it's practically expected these days. I, however, couldn't do something like that, primarily because I hate my legs and could not wear a skirt.

Yup, same here. Me right there. One of the main reasons why I avoid wearing skirts (Especially ones above the knees.) My legs aren't very smooth, and thanks to a certain skin condition, a bit embarrassing to expose. Thank the Gods for pants and baggy shorts, right? Lol. :L

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:10 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: Lingering Spirit
Here's me before Comic Con back in June . I don't see the big deal , if you like a character then cosplay them . Simple as that .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:56 pm 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
Black_Chaos wrote:
Here's me before Comic Con back in June . I don't see the big deal , if you like a character then cosplay them . Simple as that .

Nice Sailor Mars cosplay, Black_Chaos!

Last edited by FloraKiraraHime on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:50 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
yeah you got the Suit done perfectly Chaos well done :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:56 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Other: Married to TWS91
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
yeah you got the Suit done perfectly Chaos well done :)

He sure did.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:54 am 
Planeta
Planeta
Other: Lingering Spirit
Thanks guys it turned out well especially for it being my very first cosplay !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:09 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: JapanimationEraRocks
Nice you make a good Rei :rei: