It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fanfiction curiosity
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:56 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Hello there everyone :)

So I am curious on what fanfiction writers do when it comes to writing their story..(or reading them)

Would you do the original names (Usagi/Ami/Minako/Makoto/Rei/etc) or would you do the dubbed names of your own country? (since there are multiple 'dubbed' names for Sailormoon ^^)

Ive been a fanfiction writer since 2002 ( :blush: ), even though I dont have very many fanfics, plus one in the works, I was always wondering what everyone's thoughts are when they write fanfics.

I am not looking to see a sub/original names vs dub names flame war. I know there are some people who prefer the original names in fanfiction over the dubs and vice versa. I would just like to know what everyone's thoughts are on using them.

For me, my first fanfic was a sailormoon/yugioh crossover (that is currently still on ff.net xD) and I used the english dubbed names. So are my sailormoon/power rangers and my other sailormoon/yugioh fanfics. I am currently working on one fanfic where I *am* using the original names lol. Sometimes I like using the dubbed names (Serena/Amy/Lita/Mina/Raye etc) just due to the fact that it makes the fanfic sound more like a crack fic more than anything serious.

So my question is - when writing a fanfic, do you prefer the original names or the dubbed names (of your country, since I know there are a bunch here who arent familiar with the Dic's Dub)?

Note - if this seems out of place or confusing, please let me know. I will gladly edit/explain :)

Edit (6/2/16) I made an edit to hopefully made the question more understandable. I also put the question in bold as well xD

Last edited by Pixies on Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fanfiction curiosity
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:38 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
I use the original names, both for originality and for a simple question: which dub? After all, I am Italian and our dub has its own names for the girls. And better chosen too:

• Usagi->Bunny (choice explained by itself)
  • Ami->Amy (obvious choice... With the bonus that the English name Amy actually derivates from the Italian name "Amata", meaning "Beloved")
    Rei->Rea (not so obvious for many foreigners: REA Silvia is the mother of Romulus and Remus, with the father being mars himself)
    Makoto->Morea (one of the names for the Peloponnesus. Where is Mount Olympus again?)
    Makoto->Marta (a name of semitic origin, meaning "The Lady" or "The Female Master". She did give a ladylike impression in the first season...)
    Setsuna->Sidia (a mysterious name whose meaning and origin is completely unknown)
    Haruka->Heles (Welsh take on "Son of Ellis". Yes, they gave her a male name)
    Michiru->Milena (a name of Slavic origin meaning "Gracious", "Pleasant", and "Dear")
    Hotaro->Ottavia (derivates from Octavius, a Roman name traditionally given to the youngest child)
    Mamoru->Marzio (means "Sacred to Mars". I think there were shippers there, or someone saw the episodes where Mamoru and Rei were dating and jumped the gun)
    Naru->Nina (a diminutive of a dozen names. Likely it was actually Naru's NICKNAME)
    Umino->Ubaldo (means "Brave and Smart")

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:44 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Thank you for pointing that out. I will make the change when i get home ( I am currently out and about and I am on my phone)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:48 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
Fanfic...in general (and not just SM fanfic) are pretty terrible from a reader's standpoint. I get it fans want to create an imaginary world with their favorite characters. That's all fine and well, but actually those fantasies is pretty awful when you read it. Sure, some fanfic is actually alright and few are even publishable, but the majority are not.

So enjoy your SM fanfic, but I'm not going to read it unless I think its good enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:22 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Animefan wrote:
Fanfic...in general (and not just SM fanfic) are pretty terrible from a reader's standpoint. I get it fans want to create an imaginary world with their favorite characters. That's all fine and well, but actually those fantasies is pretty awful when you read it. Sure, some fanfic is actually alright and few are even publishable, but the majority are not.

So enjoy your SM fanfic, but I'm not going to read it unless I think its good enough.

That is not what I curious about. I am asking which names everyone prefers when reading/writing fanfiction. (Original names or the Dubbed version, which I know there is multiple 'dubs')

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:53 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Hi I personally prefer the 90s Japanese anime in it's original faithful form so of course I use the original names. It is cool to see that you wrote a Sailor Moon and Power Rangers fanfic. I am doing the same though my Power Rangers fanfic is a sort of retelling of the original show however with the same original cast in mind with some Zyurangers ideas spliced in there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:06 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I normally write the original names. When writing fanfiction, I try to be accurate to the source material when I am able.