Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Just how big and influential is the Sailor Moon Fandom?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:53 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 3 months ago
inactive
So, I've been wondering, just how big and influential is the Sailor Moon fandom? I'm not merely talking about this forum, but fans everywhere. Where do we stand in comparsion to other fandom in terms of number? Obviously, we are probably a lot smaller than the pop culture juggernauts like Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, DC and Marvel comics.

But are we really just a small niche?

Post subject: Re: Just how big and influential is the Sailor Moon Fandom?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:26 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
At least we're big enough to have our own dedicated antis. :lol:

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop corner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:02 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membership
Other: Status: Feel good.
We're tiny, yet fairly big. If that's a thing.

Join the Discord chatroom here: https://discord.gg/h33j9fX
and the Chatango room: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:46 am 
inactive
Lunatastic wrote:
We're tiny, yet fairly big. If that's a thing.

You mean we're tiny but influential? Or tiny but vocal?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:20 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 17 months ago
inactive
I think in terms of pop culture as a whole, we're really tiny. I've spoken to friends who have said "woah, Sailor Moon is still a thing? Do people still watch it?" In terms of the anime community, I'd say we're pretty big. Nothing near Love Live or Naruto, but pretty big.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:27 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
Depends what you mean Sailor Moon itself is s not as popular as other anime other .Its popular enough to be consider a classic,. But its more like hey look do you rember that series ?In the western fandom is quiet large, but still small compare to ther fanbase . In tumblr Sailor Moon is one of the many most look up anime
When people think of magical girl anime they think of sailor moon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:58 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
The Sailor Moon fandom is tiny and influential.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:34 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married To NQS!
pretty big if you count Sailor Bubba LOL

http://www.SilverMillenniumFalcon.com The Realm For All Things Geek Also A Good Place For Writing Fan Fiction! And Hentai!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:10 am 
inactive
How many new fans have Crystal made I wonder? Has it actually expanded the fanbase? For the fandom to stay relevant, there has to be regular intake of new fans.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:59 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
I have at least one friend who introduced her boyfriend to Sailor Moon through Crystal and now he's a fan of the series. I showed my mother both the original and Crystal around the same time and my mother is totally addicted to Sailor Moon. She's only a casual watcher of other anime shows and she's only watch the stuff that I've shown her from my collection and she's not an Internet or fandom type of person but she does love Sailor Moon a lot now thanks to me. I think Sailor Moon is probably more influential than people give it credit for. Sailor Moon was a huge gateway series for a lot of American anime fans and it seems like almost all my other millennial friends have a nostalgic love for the series. Even in Japan, most modern magical girl anime are directly influenced by the success of Sailor Moon, whether it's darker shows like Madoka or more light hearted fare like Pretty Cure and Tokyo Mew Mew. Even in European countries like Italy and France, you have original animation over there that's clearly influenced by Sailor Moon like Winx Club though Winx Club seems even more niche in the U.S. than Sailor Moon. But I feel like Sailor Moon helped pave the way for later girl power action shows like the Buffy TV series and the Supergirl TV series in modern times. Sailor Moon might not have directly influenced them but it did show that contrary to popular belief, girls do enjoy superhero franchises themselves and that there is a lucrative market for female lead Girl Power action media. Also, didn't the author of the Lunar Chronicles book series originally get started by writing Sailor Moon fanfiction?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:35 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: conservative
Neon Genesis wrote:
I have at least one friend who introduced her boyfriend to Sailor Moon through Crystal and now he's a fan of the series. I showed my mother both the original and Crystal around the same time and my mother is totally addicted to Sailor Moon. She's only a casual watcher of other anime shows and she's only watch the stuff that I've shown her from my collection and she's not an . But I feel like Sailor Moon helped pave the way for later girl power action shows like the Buffy TV series and the Supergirl TV series in modern times. Sailor Moon might not have directly influenced them but it did show that contrary to popular belief, girls do enjoy superhero franchises themselves and that there is a lucrative market for female lead Girl Power action media. Also, didn't the author of the Lunar Chronicles book series originally get started by writing Sailor Moon fanfiction?

I wouldn't really go that far . Sailor Moon revolution the magical girl genra, but I disagree it made the way for girl power usa tv . Buffy the vampire slayer was base on the 1992 nmovie , the series came out in 1997.Super girl was base on the hero by DC comics.We also had thins like Wonder Woman , who had her own series in the 70 s .I think influence more other countries, and not realy America.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:01 pm 
inactive
Neon Genesis wrote:
I have at least one friend who introduced her boyfriend to Sailor Moon through Crystal and now he's a fan of the series. I showed my mother both the original and Crystal around the same time and my mother is totally addicted to Sailor Moon. She's only a casual watcher of other anime shows and she's only watch the stuff that I've shown her from my collection and she's not an Internet or fandom type of person but she does love Sailor Moon a lot now thanks to me. I think Sailor Moon is probably more influential than people give it credit for. Sailor Moon was a huge gateway series for a lot of American anime fans and it seems like almost all my other millennial friends have a nostalgic love for the series. Even in Japan, most modern magical girl anime are directly influenced by the success of Sailor Moon, whether it's darker shows like Madoka or more light hearted fare like Pretty Cure and Tokyo Mew Mew. Even in European countries like Italy and France, you have original animation over there that's clearly influenced by Sailor Moon like Winx Club though Winx Club seems even more niche in the U.S. than Sailor Moon. But I feel like Sailor Moon helped pave the way for later girl power action shows like the Buffy TV series and the Supergirl TV series in modern times. Sailor Moon might not have directly influenced them but it did show that contrary to popular belief, girls do enjoy superhero franchises themselves and that there is a lucrative market for female lead Girl Power action media. Also, didn't the author of the Lunar Chronicles book series originally get started by writing Sailor Moon fanfiction?

I wonder if Sailor Moon is more accessible to someone not familiar with anime? Let's face it, the show, while it has its own mythology and unique history, by and large, you can easily jump into the episodes and follow it. Compare that to say Gundam or Fullmetal Alchemist (both excellent anime), where the characters and plot are more convoluted and complex, it might not be so easy to just follow it without any idea of what it is about.