* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The Renaming Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:53 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 10 months ago
inactive
"Hecate" is too on the nose and overused. Makes me think of Hercules. "Nehelenia" is at least unique and enigmatic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:54 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
How about this? It's something of a title change. I never really liked the idea all that 10 Sailor Senshi of the Solar System are princesses, it makes things less unique. How can they all be princesses? :angry:

Princess Mercury -> Duchess Mercury
Princess Mars -> Priestess Mars
Princess Jupiter -> Countess Jupiter
Princess Uranus -> Duchess Uranus
Princess Neptune -> Baroness Neptune
Princess Saturn -> ?
Princess Pluto -> Countess Pluto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:48 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membership
Other: Call me Neko-chan
I'll rename Jupiter Coconut Cyclone into Jupiter Thunderstorm Cyclone
Idk ,sounds more powerful to me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:09 am 
Stella
Stella
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Usagi-Fifth-Doctor wrote:
How about this? It's something of a title change. I never really liked the idea all that 10 Sailor Senshi of the Solar System are princesses, it makes things less unique. How can they all be princesses? :angry:

Princess Mercury -> Duchess Mercury
Princess Mars -> Priestess Mars
Princess Jupiter -> Countess Jupiter
Princess Uranus -> Duchess Uranus
Princess Neptune -> Baroness Neptune
Princess Saturn -> ?
Princess Pluto -> Countess Pluto

Well they are each Princesses of their home planets just like Princess Serenity and Prince Endymion are royalty of the Moon and Earth.

That being said I would have liked if the 4 Inners and Outers had royal named different then their Senshi and planet names. After all Sailor Moon is not called Princess Moon or Mamoru Prince Earth.

Another name change I would like is for Queen Serenity to be called Queen Selene. I mean she claimed to be the incarnation of the Moon Goddess Selene. So why not have that name as well. I think that certain dubs even called her Queen Selene like the German and Italian dubs. Plus she would have a name that distinguishes her from her daughter Princess Serenity. However in reality all three generations of the Moon Matriarchy are based on the Goddess Selene even though that Queen Serenity claims she is the incarnation of this Goddess. Two of the generations of the Moon Matriarchy's consorts are even named after two of the romantic relationships of the Goddess Selene. First is Princess Serenity and later Neo Queen Serenity with her lover Prince and later King Endymion and later Princess Small Lady Serenity and her lover the Priest Helios. Mythology wise the Goddess Selene of Greco-Roman mythology had 4 known lovers. They were the Shepherd Prince Endymion, her brother Helios the God of the Sun, Zeus King of the Gods and Pan the God of the forests, mountains and wilds.
Seira Hazuki wrote:
magic713 wrote:
Maybe change Queen Nehellenia to Queen Hecate. A slightly more familiar name of a goddess in mythology in connection to magic and sometimes the moon.

I actually think Queen Nehellenia is a better name for her than Hecate. I found some sources that speculate the etymology of her name is nea selene (which also translates to New Moon). Plus there's a sense of mysteriousness that surrounds the goddess as her origins are unclear which is fitting. And the name also has a nice fairy tale ring to it.

Anyway, I would rename Helios' Maenads to the Menae. The Maenads in Greek Mythology were frightening followers of Dionysus who had nothing to do with Helios or Apollo and don't fit the image of the Maenads in the manga. Whereas the Menae were the 50 daughters of Selene and Endymion. They resemble Serenity with their odango hairstyle so I think it makes a bit more sense to go with something more moon related at least.

Or, alternatively, I'd give them the individual names of Lampetia and Phaethousa. They are the daughters of Helios in Greek Mythology.

OMG I actually named the two Maenads that appear Lampetia and Phaetousa in my fic. Great minds think alike!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:53 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BTW, I'd like the princess'/queen's name of the ultimate form of Sailor Moon to be Princess/Queen Céline - too bad it sounds too much like a luxury brand. XD

Avatar courtesy of ayaka502 (enhanced by Senji-kun)
My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:16 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
In on person's fanfic, they renamed Sailor Chibi Moon to Sailor Crescent Moon. I'm not really fond of the name, but it was something I didn't see before, and it makes some sense

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:06 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
magic713 wrote:
In on person's fanfic, they renamed Sailor Chibi Moon to Sailor Crescent Moon. I'm not really fond of the name, but it was something I didn't see before, and it makes some sense

So her mom is to be called "Sailor Full Moon"? :P

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:44 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
magic713 wrote:

Well, she said she was sent back to the current century because she needed training and wasn't a full-fledge Senshi so :grey:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:24 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
magic713 wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
magic713 wrote:

Well, she said she was sent back to the current century because she needed training and wasn't a full-fledge Senshi so :grey:

So maybe we should use different names for her in different seasons too, like "Sailor Quarter Moon" & "Sailor Gibbous Moon," in addition to " Sailor Crescent Moon." P-:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:35 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Rika-Chicchi wrote:
So maybe we should use different names for her in different seasons too, like "Sailor Quarter Moon" & "Sailor Gibbous Moon," in addition to " Sailor Crescent Moon." P-:

And just to be sure, we make it clear she's on her way to become a Full-fledge Senshi, so the names could be Sailor Waxing Crescent Moon, Sailor First Quarter Moon, and Sailor Waxing Gibbous Moon. :P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:59 pm 
Columnae Creationis
Columnae Creationis
magic713 wrote:
Rika-Chicchi wrote:

And just to be sure, we make it clear she's on her way to become a Full-fledge Senshi, so the names could be Sailor Waxing Crescent Moon, Sailor First Quarter Moon, and Sailor Waxing Gibbous Moon. :P

That makes sense, but then she could degenerate after becoming "Sailor Full Moon," & the cycle would continue. :lol:

My J-pop thread

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:15 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
DREWdesu wrote:
Star Gentle Uterus ... Star Gentle Creator!

Star Gentle Genesis?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:45 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to TWS91
Sub Zippo wrote:
DREWdesu wrote:
Star Gentle Uterus ... Star Gentle Creator!

Star Gentle Genesis?

DREWdesu, Sub Zippo, both of your suggestions are great.