* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Planning fan-written unofficial episode guide! [Need advice]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:54 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: L gon give it to ya!
Well, I'm having BIG plans right now: I've been thinking of making a Sailor Moon episode guide virtual book thingy! Here's the gist:

-It focuses on the very first season, so maybe if I get enough good feedback and such I can set to work on books for R through Stars and then some.

-The story arcs are split into their own sections. For example: season 1 will be split into the Jadeite (episodes 1-13), Nephrite (14-24), Rainbow Crystal (25-32), and Serenity (33-46) sagas.

-Character bios for the major and supporting cast, with information based on their traits of the current season.

-Each episode will be demoted to two pages and each contain a short, detailed summary, screenshots of parts of the episode, a review of the episode done by myself in a humorous/tongue-in-cheek/analytic form along with a highlight section of "Stuff To Watch For", and if it can be considered "Important" "Recommended" or "Skippable", "Bits You Might've Missed" - miscellaneous stuff lost in translation, dub changes, and liner notes for those who do not have good understandings of Japanese culture - broadcast dates, writers, directors, animators, and both Japanese and English titles (translated and DiC ones)

-A review of the whole season done by me on a scale of 1 to 5.

-Extra goodies for each volume: a look at video games, merchandise odds and ends, Sera Myu musicals, etc.

If anybody wants to give me some advice about anything regarding the processes (how do I publish things for free, like as PDF or something?), just let me know and I'll consider.

Join the chatroom here: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/

Post subject: Re: Planning fan-written unofficial episode guide! [Need advice]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:24 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membership
I dunno I'd argue the rainbow crystal arc doesn't end until episode 34.

Really I consider episode 25-35 the Rainbow Crystal arc (episode 35 doesn't have them but it finishes the cliffhanger from episode 34) and episode 36-46 is the Evil Endymion arc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:39 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Interesting! I was actually thinking about doing the same thing (an episode summary/guide) including minor cultural references and details, etc. I didn't really consider the idea of breaking it up into individual arcs, but that's definitely interesting.

I'd be careful with breaking it up too much, though, because though it might be easy to segment season one, for example, other seasons don't exactly break up so well and you'll have balancing issues.

In order to do something like this, though, I assume that you speak Japanese fluently? As in, you intend to watch each of these episodes without subtitles and will provide your own translations as necessary? I don't mean this in any way to be insulting -- or even directed at you -- but I've seen a lot of awful information out there on wikis and other websites with purported "Japanese" explanations of what youma names mean or other "cultural significance" when, in fact, these aren't even real Japanese words.

If you plan on pulling information from across the web and doing some research on your own, I think this is a project you might want to hold off on. No offense intended, but if you're just watching the subbed and dubbed episodes and compiling your thoughts on them, then you're taking an already skewed view from the original translator and trying to interpret something that may already be wrong to begin with.

The same applies with "liner notes for those who do not have good understandings of Japanese culture." It would help if you could let people know in advance where your deeper-than-average understanding of Japanese culture comes from. I majored in Japanese history, have studied Japanese for 13 years, have lived in Japan for nearly a decade, and there's still a lot I don't know about circa 1992 Japanese culture. ^^ To overcome that, I buy a lot of late 80s and early 90s Japanese books and magazines to get an idea of what was popular and the cultural norms back in the day.

So anyway! Love the enthusiasm, but my advice would be to stop and not consider a huge undertaking like this from the start, but what value you can add to episode reviews.

What are your strengths? What are your passions?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:47 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Other: L gon give it to ya!
Tuxedo_Unmasked wrote:
Interesting! I was actually thinking about doing the same thing (an episode summary/guide) including minor cultural references and details, etc. I didn't really consider the idea of breaking it up into individual arcs, but that's definitely interesting.

I'd be careful with breaking it up too much, though, because though it might be easy to segment season one, for example, other seasons don't exactly break up so well and you'll have balancing issues.

In order to do something like this, though, I assume that you speak Japanese fluently? As in, you intend to watch each of these episodes without subtitles and will provide your own translations as necessary? I don't mean this in any way to be insulting -- or even directed at you -- but I've seen a lot of awful information out there on wikis and other websites with purported "Japanese" explanations of what youma names mean or other "cultural significance" when, in fact, these aren't even real Japanese words.

If you plan on pulling information from across the web and doing some research on your own, I think this is a project you might want to hold off on. No offense intended, but if you're just watching the subbed and dubbed episodes and compiling your thoughts on them, then you're taking an already skewed view from the original translator and trying to interpret something that may already be wrong to begin with.

The same applies with "liner notes for those who do not have good understandings of Japanese culture." It would help if you could let people know in advance where your deeper-than-average understanding of Japanese culture comes from. I majored in Japanese history, have studied Japanese for 13 years, have lived in Japan for nearly a decade, and there's still a lot I don't know about circa 1992 Japanese culture. ^^ To overcome that, I buy a lot of late 80s and early 90s Japanese books and magazines to get an idea of what was popular and the cultural norms back in the day.

So anyway! Love the enthusiasm, but my advice would be to stop and not consider a huge undertaking like this from the start, but what value you can add to episode reviews.

What are your strengths? What are your passions?

Nope, no fluent Japanese here, and certainly am pulling reliable info from the net... Guess I'll leave this thing be. Or maybe I'll leave out the Japanese tidbits, and go at it based on the Viz subs with basic bits.

As for what I can do to add review value: I mianly have a very good sense of humor, coming from my comic strip and classic animation passions, which I can insert by cynicism, or just plain good ol' joking around to spice up a review.

I also always enjoy good stories and plot progression, character development, and well-executed sequences in action, animation and plot. Just because I'm a funny dude doesn't mean I can't appreciate work put into the most dramatic of events in the show!

Join the chatroom here: http://planetaryguardians.chatango.com/