Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How did you get into Sailor Moon?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:22 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membershipYears of membership
Well I got into sailor moon, via dic dub. I was 13 at the time,and just discover anime. And at that time I was obsess with magica girl shows,and due to the fact I hater reading subs. I watch the dic dub of Sailor moon,which I like. Than I saw some of the sub version,and than I bought some of the manga. I instantly fell in love with the manga,the story. The characters,than I saw PGSm. Well that 's how I became a moonie. And now I love Sailor Moon,and all its glory.So that's my story,so how did you get in to Sailor Moon ?

Post subject: Re: How did you get into Sailor Moon?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:58 pm 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
On USA Network, they used to have a two hour block of cartoons on weekday mornings. I used to watch it when I was a kid and during one summer, they started showing Sailor Moon. It looked interesting and nothing else interesting was on, so I started watching it. At the time, I thought it was the weirdest thing I had seen. Why was there this girl with magic pigtails, why is there a talking cat, why did she look like a sailor? These were all questions I had going through my head and I found I just kept watching it every day. I started taping it when school started and then I looked it up online and found out it was a thing called anime and I found all about Japanese animation, and all the changes made to the DiC dub, and I started finding all the Geocities Sailor Moon sites I could, and that was how I discovered Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:36 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 11 months ago
inactive
Started getting into Sailor Moon when it was on Cartoon Network (Toonami). I caught it at the right time and was able to see the whole DIC/Cloverway versions from beginning to the end of Sailor Moon S. Knowing I was literally missing something in translation, I went out and purchased the uncut subs and I've been a fan ever since.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:20 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 13 months ago
inactive
I was like 4, my best friend (who is still my best friend) was showing me her Irwin dolls of Sailor Moon and Jupiter, I thought they looked really awesome. Next time I went to the library I saw the Sailor Moon DiC dub VCRs for rent and I got really excited and grabbed them. Couldn't stop watching them and was ecstatic when I found out they were on TV too. I was obsessed with it for a couple of years, but then it kinda died off (horrible of me, I know) until back in 2012 there were announcements of a new Sailor Moon anime, and I was like "what? Sailor Moon! I remember that!" and fell back in love again :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:24 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Mysterious2098Face
In 1995 when I was 9, I happen to catch it one morning when the dic dub was on syndication on channel WB11
It was Jadeite's last episode

Plus it was my first anime and it was love at first sight especially with Usagi/Serena
Spoiler: show
within the next few months I discovered other anime but Sm was always my number one anime

I spent the next year watching it on that channel until they took it off

In 1997 found it on the USA network and even recorded the first episode on there, still have the tape to this day

A year later in 1998 it moved again to cartoon network toonami and my sm obsession sky rocketed because of the lost episodes aka the rest of the R season was finally complete as before the dub only showed the series from ep 1 to chibiusa discovering the senshi identity then back to 1 the next day
This time they continued and even had a marathon oh man I was ecstatic

In 1999 Sm came on in the mornings again on wb11 so I got to see it twice a day once before school and right when I came home on toonami P-:

In 2000 S and SuperS cloverway dub aired and I remember enjoying it and laughing at the
Slang they used :lol:

2001 a few episodes of S aired briefly on Wb11 for a week
Got my vhs of the S movie dub (the actual vhs version the others I got from toonami on vhs )

2002 they showed classic on cartoon network for the last time recorded it and that's the last time sm aired on tv in America as far as I know

In 2003 December I saw sm in Japanese for the first time in the form of pgsm the available episodes at that time

In 2004 got classic subbed via dvd

2005 had an emulated version of sailor moon another story on psp

2006 got sailor stars and R subbed on dvd and my copy has the dino ep thanks to my cousin who also liked sm since the dub

In 2007 got to finish pgsm

2008 read the manga had mixed feelings about it and also joined this wonderful place

2009 S and SuperS subbed and saw some of the musicals online

Nowadays I want to get my hands on the new 90s series dub, as for Crystal not really into it so enjoy it if you like but eh it's not my cup of tea

Over the years my love for sm has grown (especially the 90s version and recently gained a new found respect for the manga )

I can't believe it, it's been 20 years
20 years of sm, anime and being in love with Usagi P-: :love:

Last edited by Prince Rose on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:10 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Other: Married to Ryo!
Well, I was in 8th grade and I saw my friend making sailor moon valentines. I asked her about sailor moon and I was immediately hooked on it after she lent me tapes of the movies and of the SuperS finale. Eventually I found this forum found out about the subbed version, I watched that in 2011 along with the dub and PGSM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:32 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
Years of membership
Isn't it strange how it seems like in almost every Sailor Moon fan's story about how they came came to love Sailor Moon, it's usually always either they came across it by sheer accident or someone introduced it to them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:47 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Other: Rainbow Goddess
Well, I was 4 or 5 years old at the time and started watching it when it was broadcasting on Toonami. Absolutely fell in love with the wands and compacts and the transformation scenes of both Sailor Moon and the Inner Senshi. I was a fan on and off for a few years until last year when my obsession sort of restarted. At first I was too scared to renounce my obsession with Sailor Moon because I didn't want to be horrible judged (since I was like 19 at the time) but now I'm kind of happy that I restarted my obsession because it lead me to this site and lead me to meeting new and awesome people who love Sailor Moon as much as me lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:11 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I was 8 or 9 years old when I discovered Sailor Moon (took years to realize it was anime ^_^' ). I used to get up pretty early and happened to turn on the end of the episode where we find out who the moon princess was. Let's just say the rest is history! :innocent:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:53 am 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I can almost remember it almost perfectly. I was at a family friend's house in the summer. I didn't want to swim in their pool, so I stayed inside and watched TV. I turned it to Toonami, and I saw these super heroes who's names were named after the planets. The episode was "An Unnatural Phenomena" and, being interested in astronomy at the time, was more curious to see these heroes. After watching enough episodes, I began to be hooked on the series.

I also liked the different color schemes of the Sailor Scouts outfits (Mercury-blue, Mars-red, Jupiter-green etc); a factor that drew me to Power Ranger, which drew me to Super Sentai.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:30 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 4 months ago
inactive
At the age of 5, Wiseman literally freaked me out lol ^_^'
I think I was flipping random channels at the same time :ninja:
It was in English dub btw :) Now I'm going to rewatch the old eps. again :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:42 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Neon Genesis wrote:
Isn't it strange how it seems like in almost every Sailor Moon fan's story about how they came came to love Sailor Moon, it's usually always either they came across it by sheer accident or someone introduced it to them?

You can't look specifically for something you don't know exists, so either you find it by an accident or somebody tells you about it. I don't think there are any other options. P-:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:19 pm 
Bitten by Chibiusa 17 months ago
inactive
I've seen it around when I was a kid, mostly at friend's houses and stuff. I remember my friend had a cute Sailor Mars doll, and I wanted to know who she was, and she shown me a video tape of a few Sailor Moon episodes, but it was hard for me to watch at home since I didn't have cable and couldn't watch it on Cartoon Network or nothing. I got into it mostly when I was 14 and remembered the name of the show (I forgotten what the show's name is, -_-) and I looked it up, but the year was like 2009, in what I nickname the "Sailor Moon dead zone" (all the videos, DVDs and mangas in English were out of print, I couldn't watch the series uncut, and I had to dig to find episodes dubbed or not, all the cool Sailor Moon stuff from the 90's like the dolls were expensive, it was a disaster!) I was so happy when the "dead zone" ended with the manga being reprinted/retranslated, and a few years later when the series got redubbed and the new Crystal anime. Now it doesn't feel like Sailor Moon is some forbidden fruit!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:59 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 8 months ago
inactive
Watched it on Cartoon Network back in the day, I think late 1998? I remember it was around that time because they premiered the 17 lost episodes of R during that run, so I was pretty lucky that I never had to deal with that episode 65 cliffhanger like earlier people of before. :oh:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:10 pm 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
My mom and my sister loved Sailor Moon back in the day, I even remember them getting excited for the lost episodes, but I was never into anime as a kid(I used to refer to Toonami as “the time when nothing is on”). I didn’t give Sailor Moon a chance until I saw the Nostalgia Critic’s review of Sailor Moon. Even though I knew nothing about the series, I thought he was unnecessarily harsh on the series. So I wondered, was the show really that bad? Even though it was the Dic dub that I started with, I quickly fell in love with the series. Eventually I’d rewatch the show in Japanese so I could see the final season, Sailor Stars. After watching the series, I couldn’t help but think it’s a shame that there hasn’t been a redub of Sailor Moon, allowing English speaking audiences a chance to watch the missing episodes and the final season. A few months later Viz announced its plans to redub the series. I guess I picked the right time to become a Sailor Moon fan, huh?

Although I no longer watch the Nostalgia Critic, it’s gotten too obnoxious for me, I have to thank the man for introducing me to one of my favorite shows. A show that is not creepy or formulaic like he said it was.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:22 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
It was 1996 and I was 19 years old. I was flicking through the channels and stumbled upon DIC dub of Sailormoon. It was right when Serena transformed into Sailormoon. I thought her transformation was really awesome, so I researched the show and started watching religiously.

This was back in 1996. The internet was fairly new to most of us and little to no Sailormoon merchandise was available in stores.

crazy times. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:33 pm 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I watched Sailor Moon back in the day when it was aired on Cartoon Network via Toonami in 1998. I also watched it on UPN44, before it becomes CW44.

ロコ雪姫七匹のハムスター

スーパーファミコンが4000円安くなるクーポン券つき

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:21 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 14 months ago
inactive
Other: Pastafarian
I first saw Sailor Moon in 1995 when I was 7 years old. I watched one episode and never saw the show again until it aired on Cartoon Network in 1998.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:54 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 5 months ago
inactive
I kind of was too young when it originally aired, so I watched it because I had heard of its reputation as a great and fun anime when I was 16 in 2010. And so I became a fan. :)

Ima sugu aitai yo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:01 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Was only a mere kid when it first aired stateside, but it wasn't until 2000 when I became a fan of the anime when it aired on Toonami (at that time, the S eps were aired).

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:10 pm 
inactive
My cousin!
my ACTUAL cousin :tongue:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:35 am 
Bitten by Chibiusa 15 months ago
inactive
Through the TV when the show started in Germany ^^ Best times ever :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:35 pm 
inactive
Back in 2008 when I was in 5th grade, a friend of mines was obsessed with this show, and back then i've only watched a handful of anime, like pokemon/hamtaro/yugioh all that stuff.
I decided to try it out when I got home by watching the subbed version on youtube. I fell in love almost instantly and I just watched an episode online everyday I came home from school (took me about half a year to finish all the seasons RIP), and I guess i'm here, now. :love:
It's so interesting seeing people that actually had the experience of watching this show on TV with their friends. It must've been awesome!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:57 am 
Luna
Luna
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
jellosaur wrote:
Back in 2008 when I was in 5th grade, a friend of mines was obsessed with this show, and back then i've only watched a handful of anime, like pokemon/hamtaro/yugioh all that stuff.
I decided to try it out when I got home by watching the subbed version on youtube. I fell in love almost instantly and I just watched an episode online everyday I came home from school (took me about half a year to finish all the seasons RIP), and I guess i'm here, now. :love:
It's so interesting seeing people that actually had the experience of watching this show on TV with their friends. It must've been awesome!

It was indeed awesome, but your experience also sounds awesome. I graduated from high school in 2008, so to compare, I was in 5th grade before you were even in kindergarten. I wish we had something like YouTube when I was 10 or 11!

I already loved Power Rangers so Sailor Moon was a natural fit for me. Like many others, I was watching TV sometime in late 1997 or early 1998 and an episode of Sailor Moon came on. I was interested in the opening and since I was only like 7, I was interested in the "blue" girl (Sailor Mercury) because blue was/still is my favorite color. Wouldn't you know, that episode ended up being Mercury's debut episode. :P So I was absolutely hooked.

But since I was so young, I didn't do a good job keeping up with the episodes. I didn't know what the schedule was like, so I just watched what I could find whenever I caught it on TV. It was definitely a different time back then. My parents bought me some Sailor Moon VHS tapes that I must have watched over and over again because I don't remember watching an entire season of Sailor Moon on TV, just episodes here and there (and mostly the ones I had on tape). I started using the Internet around age 8 (with adult supervision...at first, lol) and eventually learned everything about Sailor Moon (including Japanese names, etc.) that way before I ever saw an entire season. I remember thinking it would be "so cool" if there were Sailors for the outer planets and I even tried designing/drawing my own...guess what the first thing I learned about Sailor Moon while surfing the Internet was? :P

Catching Sailor Moon on TV was an interesting and fun experience, especially after 1996 since it was between its initial airing and its "return" (the remainder of R and S-onwards). I remember one summer, my family went on vacation and we checked into a hotel room. I wanted to go to the beach, but my parents were still getting ready, so I lazed around and turned on the TV and I happened to find Sailor Moon. I remember thinking "It would be really cool if this were the episode introducing Sailor Jupiter because I haven't seen her yet!" Lo and behold...that's exactly what it was. :)

Sorry for rambling. :)

Catching shows on TV back in that time period + being very young and not knowing about airing schedules + late 90s Internet access which was slow and completely unlike today's Internet = a very interesting fandom experience. Trust me when I say that you don't know how lucky you are to have been so young and to have access to something like YouTube!

#BlueLivesMatter

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:31 pm 
Luna
Luna
When it was airing on the USA network. My sister was a fan and I initially dismissed it as a dumb girly show (I preferred Captain Planet for some reason, a show I can't give two shits about now) but for some reason I just happened to watch Tuxedo Melvin and was so impressed that the good guy actually lost! Oh sure Sailor Moon defeated the monster and saved the day but she still lost the rainbow crystal to the bad guy. Even as a little kid I knew the good guys winning was a tired and boring cliche and looooved when the bad guys got to win. As a Power Rangers kid my favorite Power Rangers episodes was when they lost. Even today the images of seeing the Rangers fall out of their zords, demorphed and watch helplessly as their Thunderzords exploded and fell apart still sticks in my mind.

So yeah seeing a show break from the status quo definitely got my little interest.

Also I had a huge crush on Sailor Mars who I attribute to my intereted in dark haired women.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:27 pm 
inactive
Other: Sailor Senshi
If memory serves me right.
It was before school one morning flicking though cartoons and stumbled across it.
I think it was some point in the doom tree arc. It had only been airing a year or so here in the UK. It started in 1999 and I first saw it in 2000 at the age of 10 or 11. Been a fan ever since. ><
Though it never air beyond the end of R for us. Which bugged me because the ending of R made it clear there was more, and I spent so long waiting for something that never happened until I started using the internet ><

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:39 pm 
Luna
Luna
I always did find it amusing that every time Sailor Moon "ended"' for English speaking countries it was at a point where audience was assured it wasn't over.

The first time Sailor Moon "ended " the girls just won a huge battle and we got a "Things never change"'ending but now Rini knows who the Scouts are and Rubeus is still out there and he's sworn revenge. It's a very Western style series finale.

Then years later we got the remainder of R which ended with the Scouts talking about new Scouts and the new enemy.

And then years later we got two new seasons (unless you lived in the U.K?) which ended with the Big Bad undefeated.

The english dub never could just end on a proper finale.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:43 pm 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
i got into sailor moon in 2014. i was whaching pokemon on youtube and i saw the thumbnail for episode 9 and i thought what is that so after i fished whatching pokemon i clicked on the verdio and after the first 69 second im hokked. i looked up the rest of the episdes. found the dic dub loved it saw sailor stars and got hooked on sailor moon

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:09 pm 
inactive
Fox Kids aired the first episode of the "Doom Tree" (Makaiju) saga one Saturday morning (and never showed any SM ever again on that network) before it went into popular syndication (UPN where I lived). So that was confusing. A few months later, it started airing in the mornings before school so I'd record those and watch after school. Then I found the uncut movies and that got me hooked on the Japanese versions. Fan ever since.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:53 am 
Luna Nova
Luna Nova
Years of membership
Getting up at 530 in the morning in 1997? 1998? While getting ready for school. Watched the first 65 episodes like a bunch of times before they took it off the air. Been hooked since.