Sailor Moon Forum

International Sailor Moon Online Community

* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
* Rss  * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:57 am 
Luna Crescens
Luna Crescens
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Feb 13, 2016
Posts: 162
Location: California
Gender: Male
What are some non canon things from the show do you wish were in the Manga? I would pick the episodes involving the search for the rainbow crystals, they were fun to watch, plus I think it would've fit in the Manga very well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:57 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 27, 2012
Posts: 5352
Location: "Studying" With Ami-Chan!
Gender: Male
Other: Married To NQS!
Yuuchirou and Rei, Nephrite and Naru lol

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 25456
Location: in Mobius
Gender: Male
Other: gotta go fast
AmiMizunosHusband wrote:
Yuuchirou and Rei, Nephrite and Naru lol

Same here

_________________
Image
Play Sonic and Chill 


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:03 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 24, 2008
Posts: 3564
Gender: Male
The inclusion of the D.D Girls!!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:33 am 
Planeta
Planeta
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 29, 2012
Posts: 3144
Gender: male
Other: CLAMP PR
Yeah, unlike the remaining arcs, the first act of the manga felt very rushed and I think it would have been nice to add things like Naru & Nephrite and the D.D. girls.

_________________
Can-do!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:56 pm 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Jan 21, 2017
Posts: 6729
Location: Behind you!
Gender: female
Other: taken :A
Zoicite and kunzite relationship
Ryo urawa,yuuichirou and shinozaki
Doom tree arc with ali and an (not to mention that its my favorite arc lol)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:02 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Dec 11, 2015
Posts: 604
Sailor Moon's brief time as a solo hero.

_________________
Insane fanwriter with a fixation for the Angel of Death. You can find my stories here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:46 pm 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 30, 2010
Posts: 23159
Location: With Sousuke Sagara and Ryo.
Gender: Female
Other: Married to Ryo!
Ami x Ryo and Naru x Nephrite.

_________________
Image
Credit to Prince Rose for the image. :love: :hug:
#EveryoneMatters


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:35 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 01, 2015
Posts: 2006
Location: Pikari-gaoka
Gender: Female
Other: Married to TWS91
Dark Sailor Mercury!

_________________
Image
"Dreams are hopeless aspirations in hopes of coming true, believe in yourself, the rest is up me and you"
July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:46 am 
Forum's Queen
Forum's Queen
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 30, 2010
Posts: 23159
Location: With Sousuke Sagara and Ryo.
Gender: Female
Other: Married to Ryo!
Princess Sailor Moon. I wish this was her eternal form instead.

_________________
Image
Credit to Prince Rose for the image. :love: :hug:
#EveryoneMatters


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:47 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 25456
Location: in Mobius
Gender: Male
Other: gotta go fast
NeoQueenSerenity18 wrote:
Princess Sailor Moon. I wish this was her eternal form instead.

agreed [this as well as dark mercury too]

_________________
Image
Play Sonic and Chill 


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:12 am 
Stella Nova
Stella Nova
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Posts: 6262
Location: Philippines
Dystopian Crystal Tokyo :P :evillaugh: :googly: :evillaugh: P-:

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:54 am 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 27, 2012
Posts: 5352
Location: "Studying" With Ami-Chan!
Gender: Male
Other: Married To NQS!
NeoQueenSerenity18 wrote:
Ami x Ryo and Naru x Nephrite.


heh I forgot about Ryo and Ami-Chan lol

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1600
All the Rainbow Crystal characters would have been great to have. They were always some of the most memorable characters in the 90s anime.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Dec 11, 2015
Posts: 604
Neon Genesis wrote:
All the Rainbow Crystal characters would have been great to have. They were always some of the most memorable characters in the 90s anime.

Two of them are canon...

_________________
Insane fanwriter with a fixation for the Angel of Death. You can find my stories here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:43 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4247
rgveda99 wrote:
Dystopian Crystal Tokyo :P :evillaugh: :googly: :evillaugh: P-:

There never was a dystopian Crystal Tokyo even in the 90s anime. In pretty much every canon it is a utopia.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:21 am 
Usagi's Rose
Usagi's Rose
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 13, 2008
Posts: 25456
Location: in Mobius
Gender: Male
Other: gotta go fast
MariaTenebre wrote:
rgveda99 wrote:
Dystopian Crystal Tokyo :P :evillaugh: :googly: :evillaugh: P-:

There never was a dystopian Crystal Tokyo even in the 90s anime. In pretty much every canon it is a utopia.

I think he means how it looked when the black moon attacked it before wiseman was defeated and everything was messed up

_________________
Image
Play Sonic and Chill 


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:18 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4247
Zoisite and Kunzite I would definitely like as a romantic couple in the manga. I am not a fan of Senshi/Shitennou and plus the manga literally has no homosexual male couples so this would be nice.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 pm 
Systema Solare
Systema Solare
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Aug 27, 2012
Posts: 5352
Location: "Studying" With Ami-Chan!
Gender: Male
Other: Married To NQS!
MariaTenebre wrote:
Zoisite and Kunzite I would definitely like as a romantic couple in the manga. I am not a fan of Senshi/Shitennou and plus the manga literally has no homosexual male couples so this would be nice.


actually I didn't mind them either I think the 90s anime made the Shitennou better as I don't care for Shitennou/Senshi either (didn't help I didn't care for Manga/Crystal Shitennou as I thought they were bland)

_________________
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:46 am 
Solaris Luna
Solaris Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membership
Joined: May 01, 2015
Posts: 2006
Location: Pikari-gaoka
Gender: Female
Other: Married to TWS91
MariaTenebre wrote:
Zoisite and Kunzite I would definitely like as a romantic couple in the manga. I am not a fan of Senshi/Shitennou and plus the manga literally has no homosexual male couples so this would be nice.


I personally like Inners/Generals in the past, the present life, however, no way Jose.

_________________
Image
"Dreams are hopeless aspirations in hopes of coming true, believe in yourself, the rest is up me and you"
July is Chibi Chibi Month! :chibichibi:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:22 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Months of membershipMonths of membershipMonths of membership
Joined: Apr 20, 2017
Posts: 874
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Other: Married to Litacan
I'll probably get a few things wrong since I've never read the manga, but based off of Crystal I do want to see the other relationships like Ryo x Ami or Yuuichirou x Rei. To be entirely honest I don't really miss Zoisite x Kunsite, I don't have a particular problem was gay couples but the idea two villains that are, let's be fair, emotionally backward falling in love with each other seems out of character to me. Nephrite x Naru really is something I'd believe would happen so I want that back too.

_________________
Sailor Moon X, a fanfiction by Chris Sifniotis. Avatar and image by Sailor DooM.
Image"True courage does not come from fearlessness. Meeting your deepest fears and overcoming them, that's genuine courage."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:38 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Dec 20, 2011
Posts: 975
Location: New York
Gender: Male
JupiterThunder wrote:
What are some non canon things from the show do you wish were in the Manga? I would pick the episodes involving the search for the rainbow crystals, they were fun to watch, plus I think it would've fit in the Manga very well.


To be fair...when you say "non-canon things from the show," they're not non-canon. They are completely canon to the show itself.

Something that the 90s anime did or something that PGSM uniquely did is not suddenly "not canon" just because it didn't appear in the manga. The manga is the original or first work, but the unique things from the 90s anime are still "canon" to the 90s anime, and stuff like Princess Sailor Moon and Dark Mercury from PGSM are still "canon" to PGSM -- and the fact that these are all official Sailor Moon stories means that they're ALL technically part of the wider Sailor Moon canon.

What you're trying to talk about are things that are only in *continuity* with the 90s anime that others wish were also in the manga.

And to answer your question......nothing. Nothing at all. And it's not because I dislike the 90s anime, because I absolutely adore it. It's because it's just not necessary.

If I want to read the manga, then I'll read the manga, because it exists. If I'm in the mood for something from the 90s anime, then I'll just watch the 90s anime, because it also exists. If I'm in the mood for PGSM-only things like Sailor Luna or Dark Mercury, I'll just go watch PGSM. And if I'm in the mood for Sailor Moon fighting vampires in Transylvania, I'll go watch one of the musicals.

I kind of feel like this thread is basically trying to ask "what is your favorite thing from the 90s anime that you think is better than the manga/should have been in the manga" but ultimately that's not really a constructive discussion -- or at least it's not coming across that way to me. If the manga had the Rainbow Crystals, then the same exact story would have played out as in the 90s anime regarding the Rainbow Crystals.

What's more...your question is already kind of answered by the fact that these adaptations exist in the first place. Think of it like this: "What if the Sailor Moon manga had more time with Sailor Moon as a solo hero, had more filler chapters for characterization, had some romances between the villains and maybe a Naru subplot with one of them, and had these cool monsters called the DD Girls thrown in at the end?" The answer: you would have the 90s anime.

Or how about: what if the manga had Princess Sailor Moon? Well...the story would probably unfold similarly to that of PGSM.

So in this case, I'll answer the question that I think you're trying to ask. I really liked lots of elements from the 90s anime more than the manga, particularly how Haruka and Michiru were portrayed as a couple. I feel like they really came across strongly as a couple moreso than they did in the manga. I also always liked Lead Crow and Aluminum Siren's friendly rivalry from the 90s anime.

Also...mods, this thread is not posted in the right sub-forum. :( This is the Sailor Moon fandom section which is supposed to be for discussions about the fandom, fanart/fanfiction, and similar topics. I think this thread really belongs in the general discussion section.

_________________
Check out my Sera Myu (Sailor Moon musical) review thread! Soon to be updated. :)

#BlueLivesMatter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:51 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4247
chrissifniotis wrote:
I'll probably get a few things wrong since I've never read the manga, but based off of Crystal I do want to see the other relationships like Ryo x Ami or Yuuichirou x Rei. To be entirely honest I don't really miss Zoisite x Kunsite, I don't have a particular problem was gay couples but the idea two villains that are, let's be fair, emotionally backward falling in love with each other seems out of character to me. Nephrite x Naru really is something I'd believe would happen so I want that back too.

Well they weren't originally evil. The Shitennou were originally good and the guardians of Prince Endymion. Also I see no problem in them falling in love. I thought it was an excellent way to humanize them.

Also to John I see nothing wrong with wanting to include non manga plots from other canons into the story and just because these elements are included does not mean the stories would pan out in the same way and if they do so what. In some cases this would be for the better.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:42 am 
Galaxias
Galaxias
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 13, 2009
Posts: 10542
Location: Tampa, FL
Gender: straight bachelor
The dignity, respect, and genuine development (what little there was, at least) that Umino received in the anime.

In all of his manga appearances, Umino never once broke out of his "creepy otaku" portrayal and was always sneaking up on people making everyone feel uncomfortable. Usagi only ever saw him as, at best, a fellow classmate who could be a bit resourceful at times, or at worst, an unwanted nerd who rubbed everyone the wrong way.

In the anime, Umino started off as a nerdy dweeb, but over time, he became grew closer to and became good friends with Usagi and Naru and even developed a full blown honest and endearing relationship with the latter. The anime saw the potential in the manga's nerd freak and turned him into a better-developed, almost "adorkable", quirky friend of Usagi and boyfriend of Naru.

_________________
Chase's Eye wrote:
Sabrblade, don't ever change.
Neo Moonlight wrote:
Wow! You sure know your stuff, Sabr!
Prince Rose wrote:
thats Sabrblade for ya always in perfect detail
KawaiiMira wrote:
I always look forward to your posts!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:24 pm 
Luna
Luna
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Dec 20, 2011
Posts: 975
Location: New York
Gender: Male
MariaTenebre wrote:
Also to John I see nothing wrong with wanting to include non manga plots from other canons into the story and just because these elements are included does not mean the stories would pan out in the same way and if they do so what. In some cases this would be for the better.


I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it either. :) I just am not sure what exactly the discussion is trying to accomplish because the subject can be boiled down to "what do you like from the 90s anime/other adaptations that wasn't originally in the manga" -- it doesn't have to be written in such a roundabout way as "what would you include in the manga from another adaptation" as that just sounds a bit clunky and self-defeating.

I apologize, this is just my analytical writer side coming out. Of course I understand what the subject is trying to be.

In general, the relationships between the characters who aren't Usagi, Chibi Usa, and Mamoru are all very tangible and almost even well-developed in the 90s anime. Those relationships (like Umino's development mentioned below, or Aluminum Siren/Lead Crow like I mentioned in my response) would have been great to see in the manga, but we already have these elements in other Sailor Moon stories so is there really a point?

However I guess I do understand this from a different perspective. I think Umino, for example, would have been a really fun character to have in some of the musicals.

_________________
Check out my Sera Myu (Sailor Moon musical) review thread! Soon to be updated. :)

#BlueLivesMatter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:17 pm 
Lumen Cinereum
Lumen Cinereum
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Posts: 436
Location: The Void
I know I normally complain about this in the 90s anime, and I just ask you to hear me out. I think properly done this could work.

Now, I'm talking the Break-Up thing, but with some major differences. Instead of taking place in the Black moon arc, it would take place in the Dream Arc. And the reason Mamoru breaks up, with Usagi is because he is severely ill do to Nehellenia's curse and he fears that his constant interaction and connection to Usagi will cause the curse to transfer to her. And once Usagi confronts him about this curse (seeing him cough black blood), she does not stay away, rejecting his warnings and choosing to help and be with him and the curse does transfer to her. The two then fight to overcome it and defeat the Dead Moon Circus.

I think this would be better than what we got because:
1) It happens later in their relationship, rather than right after they both have their memories back of the past life
2) The threat is very credible, since Usagi ends up getting sick
3) The way Usagi discovers his reason for the break-up is much better (as oppose to Usagi just one day randomly gets Mamoru's nightmare, nonsense)
4) It's a threat they both have to work through together to overcome to defeat the enemy.
5) This one is more my thoughts, but it could be Mamoru feels like Usagi needs to concentrate on the new enemy rather than be distracted and hurt by the curse because of him.


Last edited by magic713 on Tue May 30, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:41 am 
Aurorae Lunares
Aurorae Lunares
User avatar
Years of membership
Joined: Oct 31, 2015
Posts: 1600
This isn't really a character or plot point, so I don't know if it counts, but I would have liked to have seen more of the comedy from the anime in the manga. The comedy is some of the best parts of the 90s anime. Naoko can be pretty funny when she wants to be, but we usually only see her comedy in the side specials or in the Sailor V manga. The manga can be overly serious and dark at times and I think adding more comedy could lighten it up and add more character development for the side characters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Canon thinking
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:09 am 
Stella
Stella
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Joined: Jul 22, 2009
Posts: 4247
Sabrblade wrote:
The dignity, respect, and genuine development (what little there was, at least) that Umino received in the anime.

In all of his manga appearances, Umino never once broke out of his "creepy otaku" portrayal and was always sneaking up on people making everyone feel uncomfortable. Usagi only ever saw him as, at best, a fellow classmate who could be a bit resourceful at times, or at worst, an unwanted nerd who rubbed everyone the wrong way.

In the anime, Umino started off as a nerdy dweeb, but over time, he became grew closer to and became good friends with Usagi and Naru and even developed a full blown honest and endearing relationship with the latter. The anime saw the potential in the manga's nerd freak and turned him into a better-developed, almost "adorkable", quirky friend of Usagi and boyfriend of Naru.

Yeah I agree Umino got much better development in the 90s anime and I loved his relationship with Naru. To be honest I am more of a Naru/Umino fan then a Nephrite/Naru fan as I just find their love so endearing. Even though Umino can be a silly dweeb he is very endearing and has a heart of gold and is completely devoted to Naru.

John wrote:
MariaTenebre wrote:
Also to John I see nothing wrong with wanting to include non manga plots from other canons into the story and just because these elements are included does not mean the stories would pan out in the same way and if they do so what. In some cases this would be for the better.


I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it either. :) I just am not sure what exactly the discussion is trying to accomplish because the subject can be boiled down to "what do you like from the 90s anime/other adaptations that wasn't originally in the manga" -- it doesn't have to be written in such a roundabout way as "what would you include in the manga from another adaptation" as that just sounds a bit clunky and self-defeating.

I apologize, this is just my analytical writer side coming out. Of course I understand what the subject is trying to be.

In general, the relationships between the characters who aren't Usagi, Chibi Usa, and Mamoru are all very tangible and almost even well-developed in the 90s anime. Those relationships (like Umino's development mentioned below, or Aluminum Siren/Lead Crow like I mentioned in my response) would have been great to see in the manga, but we already have these elements in other Sailor Moon stories so is there really a point?

However I guess I do understand this from a different perspective. I think Umino, for example, would have been a really fun character to have in some of the musicals.

Yes there is a point because of the inclusions of these non manga canon plots would have made the manga better. Just like say the inclusion of some manga plots to the 90s anime would have made it better.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Moonies browsing this forum: No registered moonies and 4 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB

contact forum administrator